Linking chart data labels to cells whose contents change

Excel 97 under Windows XP Home

If I type a cell reference into a data label of a chart series, the
label will show the contents of that cell. If I edit or copy to the
cell, the label changes.

But if I make the cell a formula, then the label does not change after
recalculation when the formula results in a new value. Doesn't that seem
like strange behaviour?

If I edit the label, the value updates, and if I edit or copy over the
cell formula, it updates. But if the unchanged cell formula results in a
changed value, the label keeps the old value unchanged.

--
Del Cotter
del1907 (586)

Hi,

I would like to test this but I'm running under later versions of windows
and I only have Excel 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004 (mac), and 2007 installed.

It is strange, it works fine on my versions, so a few questions:
1.  when the formula fails to update does Excel show Calculate on the left
side of the Status Bar?
2. What formula is in the cell in question?
3. Does your version of Excel have all the service packs installed for Excel
97?
4. Does pressing F9 update the formul?

Cheers,
Shane

--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

"Del Cotter" wrote:

> Excel 97 under Windows XP Home
>
> If I type a cell reference into a data label of a chart series, the
> label will show the contents of that cell. If I edit or copy to the
> cell, the label changes.
>
> But if I make the cell a formula, then the label does not change after
> recalculation when the formula results in a new value. Doesn't that seem
> like strange behaviour?
>
> If I edit the label, the value updates, and if I edit or copy over the
> cell formula, it updates. But if the unchanged cell formula results in a
> changed value, the label keeps the old value unchanged.
>
> --
> Del Cotter
> NB Personal replies to this post will send email to del@branta.demon.co.uk,
>     which goes to a spam folder-- please send your email to del3 instead.

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
ShaneDevenshire <ShaneDevenshire@discussions.microsoft.com> said:

>3. Does your version of Excel have all the service packs installed for Excel
>97?

Shane, good call, thanks. I've installed Office 97 Service Pack SR-2 and
the labels are behaving properly now.

I must go back to my old attempts at sparklines with maximum and minimum
labelled, as they used to crash on me before.

--
Del Cotter
del1907 (586)

Change link between form and subform

Microsoft CRM Data Migration Framework
Hi All, We have Microsoft CRM 1.2 installed. Its up and running without any problems. We installed Microsoft CRM Data Migration Framework but I guess it is for CRM version 1.0 (The CD came with Microsoft CRM 1.0 the first time when we bought it). My question is can I update the Migration Framework so that it will work with CRM 1.2 or is there all together new Migration Framework available for download which works with CRM 1.2. Thanks, Prasad This is the error I am getting when I try to initialize CDF database. Microsoft CRM Data Migration Framework Version 1.0 - InitializeCDF Too...

change default date format
Is there a way to change the default date format in Excel from the "short date" to a "long date" format permanently. Rightclick on the cell you want to change Format Cells - under the Number tab - Catagory - Date Then just choose the date style you want -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Mail merge using Excel data
Using P2003 and mail merge In Pub, whenever my "zipcode" field (that I am getting from an Excel file) has zip +4 digits, "0" shows up in the Pub merge results. In the Excel file, I have tried having the column attributes set as Custom, Text, and others to see if that was causing the problem, but still the same results. How can I get the zip + 4 to display correctly in the Pub merge? Thanks much for your help. Try inserting an apostrophe before the figures in Excel. This tells Excel that the cell contains text. Does this work for you? -- Rae Drysdale "ladyt...

linking #4

Adding second y-axis to OLAP pivot chart
I would like to have a chart with the following: X-axis: Week of Y-axis: Lines of Code(LOC) Second Y-axis: # of Defects When I try to add the second axis, the option is disabled. How do I create the chart using a pivot table to have two different series, in order to create a second axis, I believe this is the main problem. When I select the column for a second axis it selects all data. What am I doing wrong here? Which type of chart should I use? Right now it's a stacked column chart, but the columns are side by side and I want them as one column with two colors, then two axis. Is this p...

Legacy Data
Has anyone migrated from Lawson to GP (or another accounting product)? If so, what have you done with your legacy data? If you mean the raw data still in the old program, burn it on DVD's and put it in the firebox. Mike "Siri" <Siri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:759D2ADF-92E9-4157-A7B2-13A259341A50@microsoft.com... > Has anyone migrated from Lawson to GP (or another accounting product)? If > so, what have you done with your legacy data? > Import - Master DAta - GL Summary transactions - Open Receivables and Payables Try and do as lit...

Format Cell as True/False
OK. It's been a while but I could've sworn that I once was able to format a cell as a yes/no so that it appeared as a checkbox in the spreadsheet. Is this possible or have I confused it with another application. ~Lori Sounds like you are remembering Access database tables. Lori wrote: > OK. It's been a while but I could've sworn that I once was able to format a > cell as a yes/no so that it appeared as a checkbox in the spreadsheet. > > Is this possible or have I confused it with another application. > > ~Lori This is a multi-part message in MIME ...

how do i copy a chart to another workbook
I just upgraded to Office 2007. In 2003 I was able to select move or copy on a chart and select copy and select another workbook, and copy the chart to that workbook. It doesn't work in 2007. What do I do? ...

Running total from an edited cell
I want to keep a running total of inventory as follows: On Hand This Shipment Quan Updated Part # 1 10 5 update this column on each new shipment Part # 2 15 10 Part # 3 20 30 I will not be adding lines, just updating the "this shipment" cell for each part# I am using Excel 2007 Please help ! See http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/accumulator.html In article <9104B5C3-CD46-460E-A939-C2B1EA736D42@microsoft.com>, MacPack2 <MacPack2@discussions.microsoft.com> ...

Linked Forms

Links not linking

Text on cart based on data in a cell
I have a chart on a separate sheet witch is based on a filtered list on another sheet. I would like to label my chart to show witch filter as been applied, is this possible? (Ho, and if so, how would I do it?) Thanks for any help. Select the chart, press the equal key, then select the cell with a mouse. This adds a text box in the middle of the chart, which you can move around and format as needed. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Ant wrote: > I have a chart on a separate s...

Linked Table Manager in ACCESS

How can I create a chart to compare multiple data series?
Using Excel, is there a way to merge multiple charts with different data series into one to demonstrate a direct comparison of the data series within one single chart. I've got 4 charts of the stacked column type. magnoliak77 Tufte calls them small multiples, Cleveland calls them trellis displays. I call them panel charts. Take a look at the examples on this page. http://processtrends.com/toc_panel_charts.htm Another option is to stick with your 4 charts, however, you can size and align them. Here's a link to a simple macro that sizes and aligns all charts on a single sheet....

Link To A Cell From Chart

Adding a control line to excel chart without showing up in the leg
How can I add a control line, (such as average, ucl, lcl), to an excel bar or line chart and not have the control line series show up in the chart legend, or data table? Any sugestions would be greatly appreciated. -- thanks tweaver On Sat, 15 Sep 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, TWeaver <TWeaver@discussions.microsoft.com> said: >How can I add a control line, (such as average, ucl, lcl), to an excel bar or >line chart and not have the control line series show up in the chart legend, >or data table? Single-click twice on the legend entry for the control line, and ...

Excel 97 tabs
Is there a way to change the fonts and/or background colors on the Excel 97 file tabs? No This was established in Excel XP "SS" <ssriding1@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:00e601c36c01$31cea820$a601280a@phx.gbl... : Is there a way to change the fonts and/or background : colors on the Excel 97 file tabs? : ...

links

How do I change column into lines on a Line-Column chart?
I want to create a chart with three columns and one line using two axis. Any help would be useful. Thanks Hi Ken, Create a column chart based on all your data. Select the series that you want as line and right click it. Choose Chart Type and change it to Line. Now double click the new line so you can change the Axis value to secondary. Cheers Andy Ken wrote: > I want to create a chart with three columns and one line using two axis. Any > help would be useful. > > Thanks -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info ...

Linked Tables Over A LAN

How can I create and display a chart dynamically on a UserForm wi.
I am trying to create charts dynamically using VBA and Excel. The data being plotted will change frequently, and my client wants to interface only with the user form, and not the worksheet itself. I know that you can use the MSChart control to do this in VB6, but I was wondering if there is a similar control for use with Excel and VBA. If so, any additional info on how to use it would be much appreciated. Thanks. I think it's an incredibly dumb idea to want to interface only with a userform (and sacrifice the flexibility of direct access to a chart). Maybe, you can convince your c...

sales tax chart
I know there must be a formula to figure this out easily, but I can't do it. I am trying to make a chart like the illustration without figuring every line. {$9.50-$10.05=$.96(tax).} I have the formulas worked out to $100, but I am needing to eliminate the exta lines one by one to create the x-x part. Isn't there someway to do this? Thanks! ...

Thank you microsoft.public.excel.charting
The following is an excerpt from the acknowledgments in my forthcoming book, Just Plain Data Analysis [the companion web page is here: http://lilt.ilstu.edu/jpda/ "To prepare the tables and charts in this book, I acquired near mastery of the 2003 Microsoft Excel charting software and considerable experience with the 2007 version. Excel is much more powerful than a counter sorter, but the frustrations are the same. My masters in my quest to earn a black belt in Excel charting were the regular contributors to the microsoft.public.excel.charting newsgroup: Rob Bovey, Debra Dalgleish, Shane ...

Links