lines between data points

I created a chart in an earlier version of Excel (probably
Excel 97).  The Chart has one data series ploted as a line
chart with data points and lines between the datapoint
visible.

In the original version of the chart I was able create a
break in the line by simply turning off the line for a
particular selected data point.

When I recieved Excel 2002, the charts I had created
earlier looked different.  Now instead of a break in the
line, there is a line which points from the last datapoint
with a line to the next data point with a line, skiping
any datapoints that have thier lines disabled.

It looks like in the older version of Excel that the line
properties of a selected data point controlled the line
only on one side of a datapoint. Where as, in the newer
version of Excel, the line properties of a data point
control the lines on both sides of the datapoint.  In
other words you can't have a data point with a line only
on the left or only on the right.  It either has to have a
line on both sides or none on either side.

How can I create a break in a line series for a selected
data point.
0
anonymous (74722)

Yes, there is a bug in XL in which for a line chart, it refuses to show
a break in the line.  MS is aware of the problem, though I don't know
when (if?) it intends fixing it.

If you can substitute a XY Scatter chart for the Line chart, you can
still get the break(s).

--
Regards,

Tushar Mehta, MS MVP -- Excel
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article <0a0501c3c3e7$f8a5e830$a501280a@phx.gbl>,
anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> I created a chart in an earlier version of Excel (probably
> Excel 97).  The Chart has one data series ploted as a line
> chart with data points and lines between the datapoint
> visible.
>
> In the original version of the chart I was able create a
> break in the line by simply turning off the line for a
> particular selected data point.
>
> When I recieved Excel 2002, the charts I had created
> earlier looked different.  Now instead of a break in the
> line, there is a line which points from the last datapoint
> with a line to the next data point with a line, skiping
> any datapoints that have thier lines disabled.
>
> It looks like in the older version of Excel that the line
> properties of a selected data point controlled the line
> only on one side of a datapoint. Where as, in the newer
> version of Excel, the line properties of a data point
> control the lines on both sides of the datapoint.  In
> other words you can't have a data point with a line only
> on the left or only on the right.  It either has to have a
> line on both sides or none on either side.
>
> How can I create a break in a line series for a selected
> data point.

Converting Excel table with multi-line cells into Access DB
Hello ~ I need to export a MSWord table to an Access table. The original Word table contains multiple lines of text in each cell, separated with carriage-return(line return). .. I would like to retain these multiple lines within in each destination field in Access or Excel I have the following structure in my Word table: Column1: PhotoID (alphanumeric,single line) Column2: Image of the photos(jpeg/bmp) Column3: Description(text, multiline) Column4: Code#(alphanumeric, single line) Column5: Notes(text, multiline) In short, how do you tranfer those multi-line cells(with carriage-return...

Line Spacing and Line Justification
I am a Publisher novice. On a blank page I pasted a PowerPoint Presentation slide. Below the slide I drew a line and copied that same line multiple times. How do I make the spacing between theses lines of equal ditance? How do I align these lines so that they are basically at the same starting point on the left side of the page? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated! Regards, Mercury The best way would be to create guidelines. Select your created line, while holding the ctrl, (the cursor will turn into a + sign) pull the copy to the next guideline. If you go the copy route, ...

Outlook is requesting data....
hello. im talking about the popup message you get in outlook 2003 from time to time that says "outlook is requesting data from the exchange server...". i have read all the articles that says this is "normal" and "to be expected" from time to time, but it is getting worse and outlook is locking up longer every time. does anyone have a good idea where to look for the cause? i have 20,000 mailboxes, all storage is on an EMC DMX. exchange 2003 all sp's and hotfixes. Funny - I've never read a single article that says it is normal or expected. :-) Fro...

Skipping a line by condition
Thanks for reading this. I have a report that is grouped by [positiontitle] in a two column report. It prints out ok. The thing is what I want it to do is when a new [positiontitle] comes up I want it to skip a line in the report. For example: Worker George Fred Non Worker Bill Tom The way it comes up now is: Worker George Tom Non Worker Bill Tom The [positiontitle] is located in the header of the report. Thanks for your help. -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-reports/2...

Step Line Charts
Does anyone know how I can create a step line chart without having to have 2 data points per x-axis point. What I want is a horizontal line until the next data point and then I want the line to go vertical. Hi Carrie, You Will need some form of extra data to get excel to create a step chart. Take a look at these methods. (http://www.andypope.info/charts/stepchart.htm) Carrie wrote: > Does anyone know how I can create a step line chart without having to have 2 data points per x-axis point. What I want is a horizontal line until the next data point and then I want the line to go vert...

Data validation does not seem to work with copy/paste
I have set up some data validation for each cell within a range. When manually enter invalid data in one of those cells, the data validatio works and an error message pops up. When I copy from one cell wit data to another cell, where the data validation results in false, i allows me to paste the value with no error message. Is there any wa to fix this -- LA ----------------------------------------------------------------------- LAF's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=965 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=46802 ...

Line colors in a bargraph
ColorNum and m_Array are set before entry which works fine except for all bars are outlined in black which is not a major problem, but would like to eliminate. How do I draw the line in the code below a different color than the bars? Below is a snip from my BarChart() routine: CBrush BlackBrush(RGB(10,10,10)); CBrush CyanBrush(RGB(1,39,229)); CBrush MagentaBrush(RGB(176,4,174)); CBrush YellowBrush(RGB(187,176,3)); CBrush GrayBrush(RGB(230,230,230)); if (m_Array.GetSize()) { // ***** THE PROBLEM IS HERE WHERE I WOULD LIKE THE DRAWN LINE TO BE LIGHT GRAY ***** MemDC.Sele...

OWA - Hangs "Loading" Inbox
2 of our OWA servers have recently stopped functioning. The login appears ok and the interface starts to load, but the fonts are wrong (times new roman is shown) and the inbox doesn't load at all, showing "Loading..." I've searched the forums/web and can see many people had the same issue, but have found no fixes that work. "Error on Page" Line: 56 Char: 1 Error: Object expected. Any suggestions or help really will be gratefully received. Thanks I had this same issue except one of my owa boxes would work and the other one didn't. I don't have a KB ar...

Please help me .... (CListCtrl multi-line column)
Dear all, I use VC++ 6.0 MFC CListCtrl. And, some data displayed in the control contains multiple lines. By default, the control displays the multiple-line text in a single line. In the multiple-line text, it uses "\r\n" (CR-LF). How can I set the column of CListCtrl to display the column text in multiple line like the data cell in Excel? -- Kathy This is the nearest i can find. Hope it helps http://www.codeguru.com/Cpp/controls/controls/lists,treesandcombos/article.php/c2291/ "Kathy" wrote: > Dear all, > > I use VC++ 6.0 MFC CListCtrl. And, some data di...

Line chart with value on the line
Hi, I have implement a line chart by thousands of data rows for a stock. Now I want to show values on 10 particular points with the lable E.g, one extra column for displaying the label. TradeDate Ticker Close Label 04/01/1999 1234 63.67 05/01/1999 1234 63 06/01/1999 1234 63 Mr. A buy 07/01/1999 1234 67.33 08/01/1999 1234 68.33 11/01/1999 1234 68.67 Mr. B buy Does anyone teach me how to do this ?? thanks Ginola "Ginola" <ginola@fake.email.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:3fdc1aa6.8209734@msnews.microsoft.com... > Hi, > > I have implement a line chart b...

want to filter out emails, with subjest line starting with a specfic sring
Hi All, I am using MS outlook 2003, I am trying to find out how can i create a rule to filter out emails with subject line starting with a specific string, but not to filter if that string is in the middle of subject line. i.e. lets take the sting as Foo Filer if Foo is in the starting don't filter if if the Foo is not in the starting. if any of you aware of the trick to make this happen please let me know, i tried to google it, but couldn't find anything related to it. Thanks Anand outlook doesn't offer anyway to build that sort of rule. If you can coun...

Access unwanted automatic data entry
when entering data in my Access table, if i use the tab ket to advance to the next field, it often enters a number in that field. Why does it do that nad how can I make it stop! Are entering data direcctly into Access table? If so, stop doing that, unless you only do it occasionally to repair data in database and you know database design and manage it. "Pat the biologist" <Pat the biologist@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6B724974-C937-4C5C-BDBA-1A086C0712A1@microsoft.com... > when entering data in my Access table, if i use the tab ket to advance to...

Too Much Chart Data for Excel Col Limits
I have a user who wants to generate a chart from a really large set of data, too much to fit within the 256 columns available in Excel 2003. (No, transposing the data won't work either, there's too much in BOTH directions!) Can anybody suggest a way to handle that? I thought about dumping all the values into an array variable, but don't know a way to make that the data source for a chart. 1) Have you recalled that there is a 32,000 limit on the size of a data series? 2) Will the chart be readable even with 1,000 data points? best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Exce...

removing black lines
Sometimes I type an underline bar across the page. At the end of the page I'll hit the return (enter) key. When I do, the underline bar turns into a big black bar. Then I can't get rid of it. It just stays there. How can I get rid of this black bar? See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/CantGetRidOfLine.htm -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> &...

excel spread sheet wont caculate new data entered in ranges.
my excel spread sheets no longer adds new data entered in ranges. I use Excel to track construction expenses. Recently the workbook spreadsheets stoped adding new data entered into the ranges. Tools>Options>Calculation is set to "Manual"? The SUM range is too narrow and does not include the new data rows/columns? Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Mon, 7 Nov 2005 14:05:04 -0800, "Art-needs-help" <Art-needs-help@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >my excel spread sheets no longer adds new data entered in ranges. I use >Excel to track construction expenses....

Line graph question
How do I get my date axes (the horizontal axes) to start at zero followed by the first day of the month. -- WH99 Hi, If your dates are entered in the spreadsheet as dates then you may have problems - Excel stores dates as numbers so today is 39594 and 0 would be January 0, 1900. This would tend to spread the x-axis out quite a ways. If your dates are not entered as dates then make the first entry 0,0 - that is put another entry in the data area whose date value is 0 and whose value is 0. There are potential problems with this approach - each entry will be spaced equidistant apart ...

Extract & count data from Access program
Hello All, I am new to advanced applications in Excel. Here is my problem. I have an access database that I need to extract data from. The extraction process works fine. i extract the updated data int excel, then I need to count down 45 rows and generate a Page Total heading an show that page total. The hard part is that the extracted data is always expanding. How do extract - get the page totals - continue extracting 45 rows per pag -total each page and show a final total at the end of the existin data? Can anyone please help? Thank You -- ncro -------------------------------------------...

cannot load financial planner data
when i opened the money 2002 or money 2004, an error message said " money is not able to load some or all of your financial planner data, HRESULT= 0x80046213". Then money closed. Is there some one can tell me what is the problem and how to deal with it? thanks Try one of these: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;242340&Product=mny http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;317738&Product=mny "shen" <shen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2c9c01c3e1e8$0cc2ef70$a301280a@phx.gbl... > when i opened the mo...

Importing data 05-16-07
Hello, We have an address list that someone in the office has compiled over the years. It is currently in excel consisting of name address city state name address city state name address city state name address city state Yes, all in a single column. I would like to get this into a database for all future entries, but can this be done? Thanks for any guidance. chaz On May 16, 4:24 pm, Tom Wickerath <AOS168b AT comcast DOT net> wrote: > Hi Chaz, > > Is the address and city/state information entered into the same cell as the > name by using the <Alt> <Ente...

reading line by line
Dear all, I have a big problem, but I don't known how excel can solve it. I have a sheet with like it: process process_line status values_USD 0255155 10 44 10 0255155 20 44 20 0255156 10 33 11 0255156 20 44 21 0256157 10 33 12 0256157 20 33 22 0256157 30 33 23 0256158 10 ...

Adding a line to the line/column chart?
Is there anyway I can add a second line to the line/column chart? Basically I have 3 sets of data that I want to plot vs. time on the same graph. 1 using the column format, the other 2 being lines connected by data points. Create the chart using all the data, right click on the one you want to change to a line and select chart type from the dialogue box and choose the type you want. There are a few restrictions on the mix you can have though. -- John MOS Master Instructor Please reply & rate any replies you get Ice Hockey rules (especially the Wightlink Raiders) "Steven"...

Count Multiple Data in a column
Have a spreadsheet that lists all of our company vehicles as follows. A B C D E 1 UNIT# Make Model Desc. Location 2 101 GMC Van 1/2 T BT 3 119 Chevy Van 1/2 T BT 4 81 Ford Van 3/4 T GR 5 32 Chevy Van 1/2 T GV 6 101 GMC Van 1/2 T SB What I am looking to do seems like it should be simple....But I can't come up with an answer. I want a count of the number of vans that I have...

Can I link timeline labels to a line chart?
I've been trying to do this for a bit and can't seem to find a way. I am trying to do a line chart of weekly sales for two product lines over several years (2 separate lines). What I would like to do is overlay labels for press releases (so you can see if they have an impact on sales) on the same chart, and have a line from the name of the press release to the correct corresponding point on the line chart that is "active", so as more points are added to the chart, the line indicating the unit corresponding to the date of the press release will move also. Additionally, the...

Position DataLables on a pivot pie chart realative to their Points
I wrote some code to reset my formatting on my pivot pie chart when I manipulate the pivot drop down menus. Part of my formatting is to position the Data labels out from the pie chart a bit so the Leader Lines are visible. I use this code to name the location of the data labels: ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(1).Points(1).DataLabel.Select Selection.Left = 641 Selection.Top = 134 My problem is when I use my pivot drop downs, some selections have such different values that the data labels’ pieces of the pie (Points) are so far away the leader lines disappear (probably because the path the...

fonts line by line
I'm doing line by line translation. How can I easily use different fonts for alternating lines? Assuming you're pressing Enter at the end of each line, so each line is a separate paragraph: Define two paragraph styles, one for each font.* In the definition of each style, specify the other style as the "style for following paragraph". *In case you don't know, to define a style, click Format > Styles and Formatting (Word 2003 and earlier) or press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S (Word 2007) to open the Styles pane, then click the New Style button. -- Regards, Jay ...