Line chart problem sorry..

Hit wrong button
Here is problem again:

Year  Numbers
2003  1254
2002  2376
2001  2143

I select info and go thru chart wizard. On the cat x axis
I expect see the years but get a sequence of numbers
unrelated to the Year column and also of less entris that
are in year column.
I have formatted the columns as text can anyone help with
this please?
Thanks
Kit
0
anonymous (74721)

Kit -

Excel cannot chart text, it insists on numbers. Format at least the
Numbers column as numerical values. If you are making a line or column
chart, the years don't matter, but if you're making an XY Scatter chart,
you have to turn those into numbers also. If you have not imposed a
horizontal alignment, numbers are right aligned, and text is left
aligned. If the numbers are still left aligned after changing the
format, you need to convert them back into numbers. Copy a blank cell,
select the numbers, and from the Edit menu, choose Paste Special, using
the Values and Operations - Add options.

For additional robustness, select the cell that contains the word "Year"
and press Delete. Now select the range and make a chart. In step 2 of
the wizard, make sure the By Columns option is selected.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Kit wrote:

> Hit wrong button
> Here is problem again:
>
> Year  Numbers
> 2003  1254
> 2002  2376
> 2001  2143
>
> I select info and go thru chart wizard. On the cat x axis
> I expect see the years but get a sequence of numbers
> unrelated to the Year column and also of less entris that
> are in year column.
> I have formatted the columns as text can anyone help with
> this please?
> Thanks
> Kit

Are you making a Line chart? If so delete the cell with Year; Excel is
plotting Year and Numbers again st 1,2,3,....

--
Bernard Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"Kit" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hit wrong button
> Here is problem again:
>
> Year  Numbers
> 2003  1254
> 2002  2376
> 2001  2143
>
> I select info and go thru chart wizard. On the cat x axis
> I expect see the years but get a sequence of numbers
> unrelated to the Year column and also of less entris that
> are in year column.
> I have formatted the columns as text can anyone help with
> this please?
> Thanks
> Kit

0
bliengme5824 (3040)

Converting Excel table with multi-line cells into Access DB
Hello ~ I need to export a MSWord table to an Access table. The original Word table contains multiple lines of text in each cell, separated with carriage-return(line return). .. I would like to retain these multiple lines within in each destination field in Access or Excel I have the following structure in my Word table: Column1: PhotoID (alphanumeric,single line) Column2: Image of the photos(jpeg/bmp) Column3: Description(text, multiline) Column4: Code#(alphanumeric, single line) Column5: Notes(text, multiline) In short, how do you tranfer those multi-line cells(with carriage-return...

Line Spacing and Line Justification
I am a Publisher novice. On a blank page I pasted a PowerPoint Presentation slide. Below the slide I drew a line and copied that same line multiple times. How do I make the spacing between theses lines of equal ditance? How do I align these lines so that they are basically at the same starting point on the left side of the page? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated! Regards, Mercury The best way would be to create guidelines. Select your created line, while holding the ctrl, (the cursor will turn into a + sign) pull the copy to the next guideline. If you go the copy route, ...

Editing a Chart Directly??
I seem to remember in an Excel version of the past that there was a way for me to edit a chart directly, not using the Chart Wizard or Options screen... I could highlight poritons of the chart and make changes, etc. But I can't seem to make that happen now. I have created a basic chart in Excel 2002 based on some financial data... I simply want to place a legend or have a note area to the right of it and have it say whatever I want to. Right now, the chart behaves kind of like a picture embedded in that i can't change individual aspects of it without that stupid chart wizard ...

Skipping a line by condition
Thanks for reading this. I have a report that is grouped by [positiontitle] in a two column report. It prints out ok. The thing is what I want it to do is when a new [positiontitle] comes up I want it to skip a line in the report. For example: Worker George Fred Non Worker Bill Tom The way it comes up now is: Worker George Tom Non Worker Bill Tom The [positiontitle] is located in the header of the report. Thanks for your help. -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-reports/2...

Problems opening large e-mails
A new problem recently started with Outlook (2002 SP1) when opening large (>~300KB) e-mails. Doesn't matter whether they are attachments or embedded. When I double click on the e-mail, it will not open. Only if I right click on the email, wait an eternity for the pop-up to appear without doing anything else on my computer, and selecting open will it open. Or I can move it to a personal folder and double-click with no problems at all. Any thoughts. Thank you. ...

Step Line Charts
Does anyone know how I can create a step line chart without having to have 2 data points per x-axis point. What I want is a horizontal line until the next data point and then I want the line to go vertical. Hi Carrie, You Will need some form of extra data to get excel to create a step chart. Take a look at these methods. (http://www.andypope.info/charts/stepchart.htm) Carrie wrote: > Does anyone know how I can create a step line chart without having to have 2 data points per x-axis point. What I want is a horizontal line until the next data point and then I want the line to go vert...

Chart presentation #2
I would like to format a chart acces by rounding million dollar numbers to something smaller, like $10,000,000 to $10,000. how do I accomplish this presentation. Hi - click on the axis with the right mouse - choose 'Format axis' - Format the numbers with a custom format such as $#,, -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "MJK" <MJK@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:7EBF2706-8898-440F-B268-197C4586D189@microsoft.com... > I would like to format a chart acces by rounding million dollar numbers to > something smaller, like $10,000,000 to $...

Line colors in a bargraph
ColorNum and m_Array are set before entry which works fine except for all bars are outlined in black which is not a major problem, but would like to eliminate. How do I draw the line in the code below a different color than the bars? Below is a snip from my BarChart() routine: CBrush BlackBrush(RGB(10,10,10)); CBrush CyanBrush(RGB(1,39,229)); CBrush MagentaBrush(RGB(176,4,174)); CBrush YellowBrush(RGB(187,176,3)); CBrush GrayBrush(RGB(230,230,230)); if (m_Array.GetSize()) { // ***** THE PROBLEM IS HERE WHERE I WOULD LIKE THE DRAWN LINE TO BE LIGHT GRAY ***** MemDC.Sele...

Copy in VBA problem
I'm trying to automatically insert some data copied from an Access table into an Excel spreadsheet into another Excel spreadsheet. Both sheets are open and referred to as objExcel & objExcel1. I get "Copy method of Range class failed" with the following line. objExcel1.range("A1:H1").copy objExcel.range("A5") Any ideas? Ian I'm not an Excel MVP, but offhand it appears as if your 2 ranges do not match in size. You may want to ask this in an Excel newsgroup as well. -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.mvps.org/acc...

Please help me .... (CListCtrl multi-line column)
Dear all, I use VC++ 6.0 MFC CListCtrl. And, some data displayed in the control contains multiple lines. By default, the control displays the multiple-line text in a single line. In the multiple-line text, it uses "\r\n" (CR-LF). How can I set the column of CListCtrl to display the column text in multiple line like the data cell in Excel? -- Kathy This is the nearest i can find. Hope it helps http://www.codeguru.com/Cpp/controls/controls/lists,treesandcombos/article.php/c2291/ "Kathy" wrote: > Dear all, > > I use VC++ 6.0 MFC CListCtrl. And, some data di...

OWA - Hangs "Loading" Inbox
2 of our OWA servers have recently stopped functioning. The login appears ok and the interface starts to load, but the fonts are wrong (times new roman is shown) and the inbox doesn't load at all, showing "Loading..." I've searched the forums/web and can see many people had the same issue, but have found no fixes that work. "Error on Page" Line: 56 Char: 1 Error: Object expected. Any suggestions or help really will be gratefully received. Thanks I had this same issue except one of my owa boxes would work and the other one didn't. I don't have a KB ar...

New Ex2003 SP2 installation teething problems. (Outlook issues)
Hi, I have just installed a new Ex2003 sp2 server for a customer. It is an upgrade from a 7 year old Ex5.5 server. The 5.5 server is still up and running, as I have to debug a few EX 200 problems. The first one is causeing me a major headache, the rest are minor) 1 - Outlook - can not use cached exchange mode. As soon as I turn that on in the outlook profile, the users are unable to open outlook sucessfuly 2 - IMF filter - where does the Archive option save the messages? 3 - Global Adress list - on the old 5.5 server in the recepients folder I used to create aliases for the HK and Ch...

Charting Ranges
I have some ranges I want to chart - There are only six values - They consist low ranges high ranges. The raw data is as follows: Room Temperature 1: Low Range: 32 High Range: 256 Room Temperature 2: Low Range: 2 High Range: 64 Room Temperature 3: Low Range: 0 High Range: 2 How can I chart this on one chart - I want the scale to be from 0 - 256 and just have 3 bars to show the different ranges. Every time I try to chart it using different charts, the lower values don't show much of a bar because the Room temperature 1 range is so high. How would I arrange this data? What cha...

Log Font Width Problem
Hi, I used to create font using different width than the default one. I opened the text having width factor 120% than a normal one of 100%. I gets the current width factor using the screen devicecaps and lfwidthfactor and all. But i didn't get the correct output. when i zoomed in or zoomed out my device contests. pls help me regarding this issue. srVas, Widths are a really bad way of measuring fonts, height is what you should use - or actually measuring the string you want to output. Johan Rosengren Abstrakt Mekanik AB "srVas" <it_srini@gawab.com> a �crit dans le ...

Line chart with value on the line
Hi, I have implement a line chart by thousands of data rows for a stock. Now I want to show values on 10 particular points with the lable E.g, one extra column for displaying the label. TradeDate Ticker Close Label 04/01/1999 1234 63.67 05/01/1999 1234 63 06/01/1999 1234 63 Mr. A buy 07/01/1999 1234 67.33 08/01/1999 1234 68.33 11/01/1999 1234 68.67 Mr. B buy Does anyone teach me how to do this ?? thanks Ginola "Ginola" <ginola@fake.email.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:3fdc1aa6.8209734@msnews.microsoft.com... > Hi, > > I have implement a line chart b...

Too Much Chart Data for Excel Col Limits
I have a user who wants to generate a chart from a really large set of data, too much to fit within the 256 columns available in Excel 2003. (No, transposing the data won't work either, there's too much in BOTH directions!) Can anybody suggest a way to handle that? I thought about dumping all the values into an array variable, but don't know a way to make that the data source for a chart. 1) Have you recalled that there is a 32,000 limit on the size of a data series? 2) Will the chart be readable even with 1,000 data points? best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Exce...

Rounding Problem

locked file problem
Hi, Excel 2003. File on server 2003. Shared file. Occasionally the file loses its brains and thinks it's in use by a user who isn't in it. Then other users can't get in it. Is there a fast way to fix this without rebooting my server? (which does fix it) Thanks! --Randy Starkey Rebooting a server is an awfully strong solution. Try looking for a file with almost the same name, starting though with a ~ or ~$ replacing the first few characters. Look in the folder that the file is opened from. Delete that ~ file. You might have to set the Windows Explorer to view ...

removing black lines
Sometimes I type an underline bar across the page. At the end of the page I'll hit the return (enter) key. When I do, the underline bar turns into a big black bar. Then I can't get rid of it. It just stays there. How can I get rid of this black bar? See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/CantGetRidOfLine.htm -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> &...

want to filter out emails, with subjest line starting with a specfic sring
Hi All, I am using MS outlook 2003, I am trying to find out how can i create a rule to filter out emails with subject line starting with a specific string, but not to filter if that string is in the middle of subject line. i.e. lets take the sting as Foo Filer if Foo is in the starting don't filter if if the Foo is not in the starting. if any of you aware of the trick to make this happen please let me know, i tried to google it, but couldn't find anything related to it. Thanks Anand outlook doesn't offer anyway to build that sort of rule. If you can coun...

Line graph question
How do I get my date axes (the horizontal axes) to start at zero followed by the first day of the month. -- WH99 Hi, If your dates are entered in the spreadsheet as dates then you may have problems - Excel stores dates as numbers so today is 39594 and 0 would be January 0, 1900. This would tend to spread the x-axis out quite a ways. If your dates are not entered as dates then make the first entry 0,0 - that is put another entry in the data area whose date value is 0 and whose value is 0. There are potential problems with this approach - each entry will be spaced equidistant apart ...

Chart formatting #3
Is there a way to shade certain areas of a line graph? I have a simple line graph extending horizontally from point 1 to 10 on the x-axis. I would like to shade the entire background area of the graph from points 2-4 and points 6-8. Is there a way to make the graph apear that the background is grayed out between these points. Thanks Chris Chris - This has been sitting here a long time... Make a combo chart. Start by locking the Y axis scale parameters (uncheck the auto boxes). Add a series to your chart which has zero values where you want no shading and <Y axis max> where ...

reading line by line
Dear all, I have a big problem, but I don't known how excel can solve it. I have a sheet with like it: process process_line status values_USD 0255155 10 44 10 0255155 20 44 20 0255156 10 33 11 0255156 20 44 21 0256157 10 33 12 0256157 20 33 22 0256157 30 33 23 0256158 10 ...

gnatt chart in excel?!
Hi Im trying to create a schedule of classes in different locations. I would like to have them displayed in a “gnatt chart”, however im having difficulty trying to get the chart wizard to make it for me. The classes are scheduled at different dates, run for different lengths of time and are in different locations. There will also be classes in different locations at the same time. Is it possible to display this sort of data in a chart form in excel, and if it is, how do I do it? I can leave the start & finish times out, it is the dates and the class numbers that are the most im...

Size of plot area expands when Chart Title is deleted
Hi, I have a worksheet with about 8 charts on it. On all but 1 chart, when I delete the Chart Title, the plot area expands. Can anyone tell me why this happens? I'm no chart expert and I can't seem to find any obvious setting that would control that behavior. -- TIA Chuck M. If you have not manually adjusted the plot area size, Excel considers it the default size. This default size changes based on whether there are axis titles, a chart title, and a legend. Adding or removing any of these features causes the Excel to change the plot area, To prevent this behavior, change the ...