Legends in Line Charts (I think)

I have done a short course in excel, and bought a couple of books,
but I still can't do all the simple things as well as I want to.

I have collected some initial test data for children's sport,
and I want to be able to display this in a multiple line graph;
however, I don't seem to be able to change the "legends"(?)
from the default "-o- Series 1, -o- Series 2, etc"
to the more relevent descriptions I want to use.  I want to
get my charts looking reasonably competent before I show
them to any experts.

TIA,

Nev.

0
nenvy (13)

Jon Peltier has some instructions for setting up your data and creating
a chart, which should help you:

   http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/ChartsHowTo/index.html

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)
10/26/2003 1:11:06 PM
Nev,

Click on the Chart in then go to Chart-->Source Data.  On the "Series" tab,
there is room for a "Name" against each of the Series listed.  You can
either type in a name there, or reference a cell which contains the series
name, for example ==Sheet1!$A$1, if A1 contains the name of the series.

This name will then appear in the Legend.

HTH,
Katherine

"Nev." <nenvy@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> I have done a short course in excel, and bought a couple of books,
> but I still can't do all the simple things as well as I want to.
>
> I have collected some initial test data for children's sport,
> and I want to be able to display this in a multiple line graph;
> however, I don't seem to be able to change the "legends"(?)
> from the default "-o- Series 1, -o- Series 2, etc"
> to the more relevent descriptions I want to use.  I want to
> get my charts looking reasonably competent before I show
> them to any experts.
>
> TIA,
>
> Nev.

Values in the Legend?
Is there a way to show values in the legend - behind the series text? Thanks, Phil Do you want to show just a single value? You can either build a lengthier label (like =A1&B1), and use this as the new series name, or you can select multiple cells for the name, and Excel puts them together with a space between. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Phil Hageman wrote: > Is there a way to show values in the legend - behind the series text? > Thanks, Phil ...

pivot from more than 65K lines: how?
What I am trying to do: have several excel files with data and want to consolidate in a single file What I did: tried to paste all the data in a single file and create a pivot from there... the problem is that I can not copy after reaching 65K lines.... Trying to create a pivot from *multiple* excel does not give me the possibility to put in the layout the fields I want (as if I was using a single sheet)... as it consolidates all the fields in the different tables... Any urgent help please?.. MANY TIA! luis Do you have Access? If so then import all your excel sheets into a singl...

Large Line-Spacing on Replies
When I reply to certain other Outlook user's messages, the spacing between each line of my reply is enormous. How can I easily reset it to normal line spacing? Thanks, Bryan Easily? That depends on your definition of easily. The only way I know of is to tweak the text formatting (line spacing, spacing before/after, etc.) as you would with any other Word document. If there is a one-step process that actually works, I would sure like to hear about it... Tim "Bryan Elwood" <belwood1grass@airmail.net> wrote in message news:e3QYB3esHHA.400@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... &...

Hiding (not deleting) a Legend Entry
I currently have a series of lines plotted on an XY scatter chart. have check boxes setup in the data so that I can display any or all o the lines at any given time. The legend always displays every singl series, regardless if it is visible on the chart or not. I woul really like to make the legend correspond with only the series that ar visible at any given time. This will keep the legend from bein extremely cluttered when I have a large number of series plotted on th same chart. Other than deleting and then re-adding the series' name to the lengend every time I uncheck or check add...

Lines of a particular slope that can be moved around #2
Hi Bernard, I have sent an email to you at the address provided in your website Thanks for offering to help. Regards, Ra -- routera ----------------------------------------------------------------------- routeram's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1045 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26331 Please try again Remember to put something in Subject header -- Bernard Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove CAPS in e-mail address "routeram" <routeram.1d41em@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in messag...

Over receipt on PO Line
We use blanket orders frequently and so we have a given item listed multiple times on a PO. My problem is that often vendors combine shipments for a given PO and our receiving department usually receives the full quantity against the first line they find. So the vendor has shipped the full amount for a couple of lines on the PO but the remaining PO lines are still open. I'm trying to figure out how to create an alert or report that will just show the PO lines that have been over-received against. With that info the purchasing agents can then take a stick to the receiving folks an...

charting #4
I have a series of data in two colums -- one is the year, the other is a number. When I select the data to chart it the year is on the y-axis. I have tried to copy the data and select it in a different order, but the year is still on the y-axis. How can I change the axis? Data Sample: 1970 3.2 1971 4.2 1972 6.5 Hi! Have you tried the XY scattergraph? Al -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Add a heading to the Number column, and leave the year heading blank. Qty 1970 3.2 1971 4.2 1972 6.5 Then, select a cell in the range, and create t...

Charts are captured between rows and show up in powerpoint
First, I want to thank you in advance for reading this and helping me. I am in a real pickle here and cannot seem to figure out what is going on. The Problem: I am using Excel 2003. I created several charts in my excel workbook and then proceeded to add and delete rows to move my charts and data around. Somehow in this process parts of charts are now trapped in between rows. The only way that I can see anything wrong in excel is if I highlight the affected area. The line between the rows appears white. The problem happens when I copy these charts into Powerpoint for my presentation. Wh...

Hiding a series in a legend
Was hoping someone may be able to help with an annoying little problem I've got. On a simple xy scattergraph I have a number of series that I want to appear on the chart yet don't want in the legend. Is there a way of doing this? Thanks Hi Phil, Here is some information on manually deleting legend entries. http://www.andypope.info/charts/deletelegendentry.htm Cheers Andy Phil wrote: > Was hoping someone may be able to help with an annoying little problem > I've got. On a simple xy scattergraph I have a number of series that I > want to appear on the chart yet don...

How to display both $ in pie chart and % in legend
I have a spreadsheet in excel that has some simple data Total-C $90 59% Total-K $24 15% Total-L $40 26% I'd like to display this info in a pie chart, but more specifically, I'd like to have the $ over the slices, and the % in the legend. I have been able to display both in the slices. I've serched for tutorials, but nothing indicates that what I am trying to do is possible without just typing in the percent as part of the series names. Any suggestions? Thanks, Christi Christi, This is what I came up with: Cell A2 "Total-C" Cell B2 "$90&quo...

Pivot Chart Legend
Hello, When I create a pivot chart that is simply a single category field and a single data items field (no series fields), I get the simple column chart that I want. This chart has 'Total' as its title and 'Total' as the legend label. How can I modify the legend label to something more descriptive? -- Thanks, MarkN You can delete the chart title, or change it to something more descriptive. You can't change the label in the legend, but since there's only one series, you could change the chart options so the legend doesn't show. MarkN wrote: > Hello, > ...

Problem with order in Legend
Hello, I have two items in a chart legend. When the legend is on the right-hand side of the page, one is above the other. I would like to reverse them so the one that is now on the top will be on the bottom. How do i do this? Thank you, Keith Keith - You can change the plot order (Double click, Series Order tab). If both series are not the same chart type, this will not work. Different chart types have their own place in the legend order. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Keith wr...

complete a line in the middle of a graph to meet both X and Y axes
I have created a line chart with limited data and now want to execute that line in order that they intersect both x and y axes, on the same path.. How can i perform this in Microsoft Excel ...

Printing the lines of a table
I have a table and when I print it I want the lines of the table to show. When I right click on the table and choose format table and then choose black for the color of the lines it only does it for the cell I clicked on and not the whole table. Thanks. Anthony Anthony wrote: > I have a table and when I print it I want the lines of the table to show. > When I right click on the table and choose format table and then choose black > for the color of the lines it only does it for the cell I clicked on and not > the whole table. > > Thanks. > > Anthony Ok, I fi...

Followup:Add vertical line at intersection of 2 curves (Ping Andy Pope)
Okay, I've been hammering away at this for days now, and I *still* just do not get it. I've been _trying_ to use the user-defined function created by Andy Pope (http://www.andypope.info/charts/intersection.htm) to find all the intersecting points of 2 "lines" (actually xy scatter plots with visible markers) on a chart, and then create a vertical line (or multiple lines) on the chart at the intersection point (or points). I downloaded the intersection demo .zip file. I copied both procedures from the demo into my workbook. I changed all my column/field names to ma...

How do I display the bcc line when I print my outgoing email?
I need to show the bcc line when printing my outgoing emails. How do I do this? I have looked EVERYWHERE! "Everett Betty" <Everett Betty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:99A4CA25-A054-4173-BD8E-8EE5B36E16D7@microsoft.com... >I need to show the bcc line when printing my outgoing emails. How do I do > this? I have looked EVERYWHERE! You can't. The standard story is that it wouldn't be "blind" if you could make an external copy of it. The only way you'll see it on a printout is if you print a screenshot. -- Bria...

One line entry in register
Can anyone please tell me how to change an account register from "how it comes originally" to "one-line" entry form? I had it set up on an old computer that way and cannot remember how I did it. THANKS in advance!! In microsoft.public.money, Bluesiggi wrote: >Can anyone please tell me how to change an account register from "how it >comes originally" to "one-line" entry form? I had it set up on an old >computer that way and cannot remember how I did it. Ctrl+T is a toggle. > >THANKS in advance!! This is a multi-part message i...

Remove blank lines
Hi, I regularly download data from SAP into Excel, however the problem I have is that SAP inserts a blank line between each line of data. Is there a quick way for me to remove these blank lines in Excel? Many thanks Pete i don�t know how your table and data looks like, but an easy way to delete the empty rows would be: 1. data>sort (choose any colummn) 2. all the empty lines should be on top or at the bottom. 3. highlight and delete them. hope this helps f -- flashing fran ----------------------------------------------------------------------- flashing frank's Profile: http:...

Help with charts
Could anyone please help me? I would like to set up a Stacked Column Chart of the following table. Gold medal Silver medal Bronze medal Day 1 Day 2 Day 1 Day 2 Day 1 Day 2 New Zealand 2 2 4 3 3 1 Australia 3 4 5 2 4 3 I would like to have the country names on the x- axis and the number of medals on the y-axis. Each country's "day 1 and day 2" should be grouped together in the chart. Can this be done? ...

Chart update automatically
Sometimes I start a data list to chart, create a chart then add data and the chart automatically updates as I add to the data list. The X axis grows with each entry. Other times, I do what I think is the same thing but the chart lays dormant. I actually have to manually update the series range. Nothing I do seems to make it "automatic". Is there a way to make any chart (new or existing) update automatically when dynamic data is involved? Hi, The chart will update automatically if, - you based the chart on a List (Table in xl2007) - created and used a dynamic named range - i...

Line numbering
How can you display the line numbers by intervals (e.g. 5, 10) instead of showing all line numbers on the page? In the line numbering dialog, there is a spin box to choose the number interval. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "MonicaY" <MonicaY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7819DA21-CBA9-48A0-8003-580756920AD9@microsoft.com... > How can you display the line numbers by intervals (e.g. 5, 10) instead of > showing all line numbers on the page? > ...

Pie Chart #14
I am trying to create a pie chart using the chart wizard. I want it to present the data in cell A1 and A2 which together make up 100%. Cell A1 is 6.6% which represents Less than 24 and Cell A2 is 93.4% which represents Greater than 24. I am stuck on Step 2 of 4 – Chart Source Data in the Chart Wizard. Do you know how I can manipulate the chart source data so that it presents 6.6% as less than 24 and 93.4% as more than 24? A slight change of your chart source should work . . . Use column A for your titles: In cell A1 add your first title "Less Than 24". In cell A2 add your...

Multiple Attachments using command line swtches
I'm trying to figure out a way to launch a new e-mail message, with multiple file attachments, from the command line. I know how to do it with a single attachment, using the following method: outlook.exe /a c:\document.doc I've tried a number of permutations of this syntax to try to attach multiple files, such as using quotes, commas, semi-colons, but none of them seem to work. Any ideas? TIA - Dave You can't. You might want to use a compressing program first that generates a single .zip file out of all the attachments and attach that by the command line switch. -- Robe...

DISPLAY ZERO WITH LINE THROUGH IT
I have government reports that need to show a zero with a line through it so they are VERY distinguishable from the letter "O". I cannot find a format that displays this. I need this ASAP! Can anyone help me please?! Try changing the font of the cell concerned: Try font like "terminal", "WST_Engl", "Fixedsys" these fonts will display zero with a diagonal line from the top right to the bottom left of the number. "DISPLAY ZERO WITH LINE THROUGH IT" wrote: > I have government reports that need to show a zero with a line through it...

Removing Empty Line
Hi I was given the following code (via this forum) to remove the first empty line if my client doesn't have a home telephone #. I works brilliantly - but I now realise I have situations where a client will only have an email address (or a mobile phone)and this gets presented with an empty row in the report. I've tried multiple variations to the below though none give me the result I need. Hoping someone can help. =Mid(IIf([HomePhone] Is Null,"",Chr(13) & Chr(10) & Format([homephone],"""Home: (""@@) @@@-@@@@")) &am...