Legends - Everyone stuck?

I have data table with dates from AQ8 to BU8 and products in AP9-31.

In any one particular month the factory may only make on product, however in
other months it may make all 23.  I would like to plot a graph of this data
that updates automatically - dynamic ranges.

As a result I have a graph that can move between one and 23 rows of data to
plot (series), each with its associated series name shown in the legend.

I have tried looking at Jon Peltiers website, C Pearson and several
questions on this discussion forum - no solution seems evident.  Plotting the
data is no problem but getting the legend to update seems to be the catchy
part as even if I make it dynamic when I delete a series the legend will show
REF#.
0
LiAD (16)

What version of Excel are you using?  In general when I want to plot
dynamically change rows of data I define the range as a table (2007) or list
(2003), then Excel automatically handles the changing number of rows.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"LiAD" wrote:

> I have data table with dates from AQ8 to BU8 and products in AP9-31.
>
> In any one particular month the factory may only make on product, however in
> other months it may make all 23.  I would like to plot a graph of this data
> that updates automatically - dynamic ranges.
>
> As a result I have a graph that can move between one and 23 rows of data to
> plot (series), each with its associated series name shown in the legend.
>
> I have tried looking at Jon Peltiers website, C Pearson and several
> questions on this discussion forum - no solution seems evident.  Plotting the
> data is no problem but getting the legend to update seems to be the catchy
> part as even if I make it dynamic when I delete a series the legend will show
> REF#.
I'm in 2003.

I cant get dynamic items to work for the legend.  For example if I start
with a full data table but then delete 6 of the 10 rows or whatever the plots
update but the legend will show REF#.

J.Peltier had a good suggestion of just hiding the rows or columns I dont
want to plot but in order for this to work and be usable I'd need to hide
part columns/rows.  Do you know if this is possible?

If not i'd have monstrous sheet with my graph for Dec in col YY.

"Shane Devenshire" wrote:

> What version of Excel are you using?  In general when I want to plot
> dynamically change rows of data I define the range as a table (2007) or list
> (2003), then Excel automatically handles the changing number of rows.
>
> --
> If this helps, please click the Yes button.
>
> Cheers,
> Shane Devenshire
>

> "LiAD" wrote:
>
> > I have data table with dates from AQ8 to BU8 and products in AP9-31.
> >
> > In any one particular month the factory may only make on product, however in
> > other months it may make all 23.  I would like to plot a graph of this data
> > that updates automatically - dynamic ranges.
> >
> > As a result I have a graph that can move between one and 23 rows of data to
> > plot (series), each with its associated series name shown in the legend.
> >
> > I have tried looking at Jon Peltiers website, C Pearson and several
> > questions on this discussion forum - no solution seems evident.  Plotting the
> > data is no problem but getting the legend to update seems to be the catchy
> > part as even if I make it dynamic when I delete a series the legend will show
> > REF#.
0
LiAD (16)
9/11/2009 3:38:02 PM
Instead of deleting the rows, hide them. By default, and Excel chart
does not plot data from hidden cells.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier
Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://peltiertech.com/

LiAD wrote:
> I'm in 2003.
>
> I cant get dynamic items to work for the legend.  For example if I start
> with a full data table but then delete 6 of the 10 rows or whatever the plots
> update but the legend will show REF#.
>
> J.Peltier had a good suggestion of just hiding the rows or columns I dont
> want to plot but in order for this to work and be usable I'd need to hide
> part columns/rows.  Do you know if this is possible?
>
> If not i'd have monstrous sheet with my graph for Dec in col YY.
>
> "Shane Devenshire" wrote:
>
>> What version of Excel are you using?  In general when I want to plot
>> dynamically change rows of data I define the range as a table (2007) or list
>> (2003), then Excel automatically handles the changing number of rows.
>>
>> --
>> If this helps, please click the Yes button.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Shane Devenshire
>>

>> "LiAD" wrote:
>>
>>> I have data table with dates from AQ8 to BU8 and products in AP9-31.
>>>
>>> In any one particular month the factory may only make on product, however in
>>> other months it may make all 23.  I would like to plot a graph of this data
>>> that updates automatically - dynamic ranges.
>>>
>>> As a result I have a graph that can move between one and 23 rows of data to
>>> plot (series), each with its associated series name shown in the legend.
>>>
>>> I have tried looking at Jon Peltiers website, C Pearson and several
>>> questions on this discussion forum - no solution seems evident.  Plotting the
>>> data is no problem but getting the legend to update seems to be the catchy
>>> part as even if I make it dynamic when I delete a series the legend will show
>>> REF#.
0
jonNO1 (306)

Values in the Legend?
Is there a way to show values in the legend - behind the series text? Thanks, Phil Do you want to show just a single value? You can either build a lengthier label (like =A1&B1), and use this as the new series name, or you can select multiple cells for the name, and Excel puts them together with a space between. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Phil Hageman wrote: > Is there a way to show values in the legend - behind the series text? > Thanks, Phil ...

Hiding (not deleting) a Legend Entry
I currently have a series of lines plotted on an XY scatter chart. have check boxes setup in the data so that I can display any or all o the lines at any given time. The legend always displays every singl series, regardless if it is visible on the chart or not. I woul really like to make the legend correspond with only the series that ar visible at any given time. This will keep the legend from bein extremely cluttered when I have a large number of series plotted on th same chart. Other than deleting and then re-adding the series' name to the lengend every time I uncheck or check add...

Hiding a series in a legend
Was hoping someone may be able to help with an annoying little problem I've got. On a simple xy scattergraph I have a number of series that I want to appear on the chart yet don't want in the legend. Is there a way of doing this? Thanks Hi Phil, Here is some information on manually deleting legend entries. http://www.andypope.info/charts/deletelegendentry.htm Cheers Andy Phil wrote: > Was hoping someone may be able to help with an annoying little problem > I've got. On a simple xy scattergraph I have a number of series that I > want to appear on the chart yet don...

How to display both $ in pie chart and % in legend
I have a spreadsheet in excel that has some simple data Total-C $90 59% Total-K $24 15% Total-L $40 26% I'd like to display this info in a pie chart, but more specifically, I'd like to have the $ over the slices, and the % in the legend. I have been able to display both in the slices. I've serched for tutorials, but nothing indicates that what I am trying to do is possible without just typing in the percent as part of the series names. Any suggestions? Thanks, Christi Christi, This is what I came up with: Cell A2 "Total-C" Cell B2 "$90&quo...

Problem with order in Legend
Hello, I have two items in a chart legend. When the legend is on the right-hand side of the page, one is above the other. I would like to reverse them so the one that is now on the top will be on the bottom. How do i do this? Thank you, Keith Keith - You can change the plot order (Double click, Series Order tab). If both series are not the same chart type, this will not work. Different chart types have their own place in the legend order. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Keith wr...

Pivot Chart Legend
Hello, When I create a pivot chart that is simply a single category field and a single data items field (no series fields), I get the simple column chart that I want. This chart has 'Total' as its title and 'Total' as the legend label. How can I modify the legend label to something more descriptive? -- Thanks, MarkN You can delete the chart title, or change it to something more descriptive. You can't change the label in the legend, but since there's only one series, you could change the chart options so the legend doesn't show. MarkN wrote: > Hello, > ...

Legends again
Dear Jon, Thanks for your answer. I did it the way you describe in the former version of Excel, but now I use the XP version and it doesn't seem to work here. I get the handles alright, but it does not change the individual spacing between the legends, so is there another way? Anne Hi Anne - I'm still on only 97 or 2000, but I can't believe the behavior has changed. Then again, Microsoft did fix a "bug" in XP that I'd been treating as a "feature" in 2000! - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/index...

Payroll Stuck Batches
It would be nice to have an Automated Fix to fix stuck payroll batches. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=026ea50e-2a64-40b7-b27e-8d6fe7ec91b8&dg=microsoft...

stuck emails
First Day with Windows 7. Easier? Not sure yet. Don't understand why Outlook won't import the backup.pst I saved before upgrading the O/S. However ... On the subject of stuck emails I've just fallen foul of this problem, and discovered something. In the New Contact dialog box, the display name always has appended to it the email address (entered a few boxes up), in parentheses (...). If when composing my email I type the name and let Outlook find the email address, it is put in the To: line with the display name, and the email in roiund brackets. And it gets stuck. If I cut...

legends in excel
i'm trying to have my legend of my chart be the "legend" to column A in my worksheet. Ive tried a hundred times to no avail. what do i do? am i supposed to add the cell range, and if so, how? I'm not sure what you're trying to do, but perhaps the information in Jon Peltier's charting tutorial will help you: http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/index.html lilpunkk12 wrote: > i'm trying to have my legend of my chart be the "legend" to column A in my > worksheet. Ive tried a hundred times to no avail. what do i do? > am i supposed ...

Excel Chart Legends need alignment option (rotate 90-180-270 deg)
We need the ability to rotate legends in Excel charts. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=45fc3eb0-0201-42d5-a926-4eb215e72eab&dg=microsoft.public.excel.charting Not an option. -- Bern...

flag legend
I am trying to print up a flag legend for all of the different colored flags. I can't seem to find a graphic of the list that I could paste into a Word document to make a legend. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help! I'm not sure what you mean...the different flag colors don't have any values pre-assigned to them; you can pick whatever value you want, even different values for the same color flag on different items. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thre...

problems editing legend on a pie chart
I am currently having problems editing the text on a pie chart legend. It is taking the value that I have and assigning them numbers 1-6. want to change the numbers in the legend to represent something mor meaningful such as financials. Any help would be appreciated! --Ti -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Tim, Do Chart (or right click the chart), Source Data , Series tab. The Category Labels box should either refer to cells containing your labels, like: ='Sheet1'!$A$2:$A$7 to set this, click in the box, remove anything currently there, then drag through the cel...

Legend
Is it possible to put in a legend in MS Project? I have colorcoded certain tasks to show that these are electrical works, and it would be nice to have a box in the corner showing Red bar: Electrical Blue bar: Civils Pink bar: Client Thanks Moeller If you are going to do this, do it in a copy of the Gantt Chart View rather than messing up the Gantt Chart View (View, More Views, Copy). Do it with a combination of Flag fields and Format, Bar Styles. Use Flag1 for Electrical, Flag2 for Civils etc. Insert the necessary three lines under the top line (Normal Tasks) in the ...

Message stuck in Outbox.
Outlook 2000-When I try to delete the message I get a message that this message is being sent, it never goes. How do I access the folders in the ,pst file? ...

Stuck email in the inbox
I am having a lot of users repeatedly reporting emails getting "stuck" in their inboxes. The reading pane reports "This item cannot be displayed in the Reading Pane. Open the item to read its contents." Upon double-clicking, I get "Can't open this item. The operation failed." To fix this in the past, I've had to exmerge the entire mailbox, delete and recreate the mailbox, and re-import everything. Is there an easier way? Exchange 5.5 SP4 w/ Outlook 2003 hotfix. Outlook 2003 clients. Thanks, Tim You can attempt to run isinteg ispriv -fix -test -a...

Legends
Hi everyone, this might seem like the most daft question ever but I'd appreciate any input... I have a pie chart that is based on a query that counts the check boxes in the table. My problem is that the pie chart gives a binary 1 or 0 for yes or no in the pie chart legend and after editing it always reverts back to 1 and 0... I presume I have to edit the query somehow but at the moment I'm at a loss... TIA Sam -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-formscoding/201004/1 Checkboxes will give you a -1 for yes ...

Mail stuck in Outbox
I've had a message "stuck" in the outbox and have been unable to do anything with it, i.e. move it, delete it, etc. The message I get is that the MAPI has already started spooling the message. How do I delete this message? ...

messages stuck in outbox dated before I purchased computer at Wal
How can I delete all messages stuck in the outbox? I always get a pop up message that messages are stuck in outbox and I don't know how to delete those messages.Now I have trouble sending e mail to my atty @ warhola law@ yahoo.com Right-click on your error message, copy, then paste it into a reply = here. We can't do much troubleshooting without the complete error message. What happens when you try deleting the messages in the Outbox folder? In a pinch you can always send via webmail (using your browser). --=20 Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) http://mvp.sup...

Ignore a Blank Data Series in the Legend
Hi, I'm creating Pie Charts based on data from 10 data series fields. Some of the data fields are blank, and so I've managed to create data labels that only show on the Pie Chart if there is a value (otherwise the Chart was too hard to read due to lots of blank labels). However, if I show the Legend, the blank data series field still appear, so I have say, 4 labels with the correct data series names but 6 which are blank. Can I make the Legend ignore blank fields, and just show the 4 that have values? Thanks You can manually remove individual legend entries. Click on the lege...

outbox mail "stuck"
I have a message in my outbox that will not send, and when I click on it to open, a message says "Can't open this item. The Mapi spooler has already begun sending this message." It has been hours now since I sent the message. I've shut down Outlook, I've rebooted my computer, I've tried moving the message back to my inbox but it won't move . . . I have to shut outlook down with the Task Manager . . . and I can't receive or send any other e-mails. Help??? What to do?? Create a new .pst file - make it the default. Close and reopen Outlook. Delet...

Swiss Legend Men's Maverick Gold-Tone Chronograph Watch #40050-YG-22
Price:$1,095.00 Image: http://bestdeallocator.info/image.php?id=B001T0HV6G Best deal: http://bestdeallocator.info/index.php?id=B001T0HV6G This sporty Swiss Legend design is sure to grab anyone's attention with only a glimpse. With a striking gold-tone finish and chronograph functions, the Maverick transitions seamlessly from your workout to a night out on the town. Built to last, this fine timepiece features a case, tachymeter bezel, band, and screw-down made from stainless steel. The round silver dial stands out with luminous gold-tone hands and indexes, a date display at the four ...

Outlook icons
Is there a legend somewhere explaining all the Outlook icons? I couldn't find anything in the Help file (Outlook Express has an icon legend in the Help file) or the Support site. I have some emails getting stuck in Outbox and I never saw this icon before. Thanks Joe Germanoski joegerm@hotmail.com Hi Joe, What does it look like? I don't know of an existing legend but it's a nice idea putting one up. Regards, -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Creating Signatures -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- "...

Formatting fonts in legends...
Dear all, Can anyone suggest a way to change/format parts of fonts within legend entries in Excel (I'm using 2007 edition). I can select each legend entry, and format it to bold, italic etc, but I need to select certain parts of the text in each entry and format them. To put it in context, I am plotting dimensions of fossil specimens, and when referring to them, the convention is to have the latin species name (e.g. T. rex) in italic, and the authorship (who named the species, and the date) in normal text (e.g. '[T. rex] Osborn, 1905')(where []= in italics). Scientific jo...

Stuck in outbox #2
whenever i send an email outside of outlook (whether it be from internet explorer or forwarding an email from an open folder) the email does not send automatically, it just sits in outlook outbox. i always have to physically open up outlook to release the email. this is very anoying and never happened with outlook express. before, it just sent automatically. thanks ...