Legend on Chart

I am updating chart that includes three years of data and want to add 2008.
The data has transferred, but the legend shows 2007,2008,2006.  How can I get
2008,2007,2006 in order in the legend?
0
L (105)

Change the order of the series. Double click on one series, and go to the
Series Order tab.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Double L" <Double L@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am updating chart that includes three years of data and want to add 2008.
> The data has transferred, but the legend shows 2007,2008,2006.  How can I
> get
> 2008,2007,2006 in order in the legend?

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
5/2/2008 3:31:47 PM
Jon-

From the "Select Data Source" box, I entered 2008 as a new source and
removed 2005.  I then moved 2008 ahead of 2007 on this list.  I cannot
double-click on anything that brings up a Series Order tab.  Can you advise?
Thank you for your help.

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> Change the order of the series. Double click on one series, and go to the
> Series Order tab.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> _______
>

> "Double L" <Double L@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am updating chart that includes three years of data and want to add 2008.
> > The data has transferred, but the legend shows 2007,2008,2006.  How can I
> > get
> > 2008,2007,2006 in order in the legend?

0
DoubleL (2)
5/2/2008 5:01:00 PM
You didn't say you were using Excel 2007, so I went with the law of
averages. Excel 2007 has the move up and move down buttons, so the old
Series Order dialog is unnecessary.

Are the series still out of order after you rearranged them in the Select
Source Data dialog? Are they all the same chart type?

- Jon
-------

> Jon-
>
> From the "Select Data Source" box, I entered 2008 as a new source and
> removed 2005.  I then moved 2008 ahead of 2007 on this list.  I cannot
> double-click on anything that brings up a Series Order tab.  Can you
> advise?
> Thank you for your help.
>

> "Jon Peltier" wrote:
>
>> Change the order of the series. Double click on one series, and go to the
>> Series Order tab.
>>
>> - Jon
>> -------
>> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
>> Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com
>> _______
>>

>> "Double L" <Double L@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am updating chart that includes three years of data and want to add
>> >2008.
>> > The data has transferred, but the legend shows 2007,2008,2006.  How can
>> > get
>> > 2008,2007,2006 in order in the legend?

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
5/2/2008 5:26:55 PM
Jon-

Sorry I didn't clarify that I was using Excel 2007 - that probably would
have helped!!  Anyway, the series is still out of order even after I
rearranged them in the Select Source Data dialog and they are the same chart
type.

For some reason, I cannot put either year (2006 or 2008) in front of 2007.

I appreciate all of your help!

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> You didn't say you were using Excel 2007, so I went with the law of
> averages. Excel 2007 has the move up and move down buttons, so the old
> Series Order dialog is unnecessary.
>
> Are the series still out of order after you rearranged them in the Select
> Source Data dialog? Are they all the same chart type?
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> _______
>

> "Double L" <DoubleL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Jon-
> >
> > From the "Select Data Source" box, I entered 2008 as a new source and
> > removed 2005.  I then moved 2008 ahead of 2007 on this list.  I cannot
> > double-click on anything that brings up a Series Order tab.  Can you
> > advise?
> > Thank you for your help.
> >

> > "Jon Peltier" wrote:
> >
> >> Change the order of the series. Double click on one series, and go to the
> >> Series Order tab.
> >>
> >> - Jon
> >> -------
> >> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> >> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> >> Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com
> >> _______
> >>

> >> "Double L" <Double L@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
DoubleL (2)
5/2/2008 5:55:01 PM
Look at each series' formula: when you select a series and look in the
formula bar, you'll see something like this:

=SERIES(Sheet1!$B$1,Sheet1!$A$2:$A$10,Sheet1!$B$2:$B$10,1)

The last argument, 1 in the above, is the plot order of the series. If all
the series are the same type and on the same axis (primary vs. secondary)
this dictates the order in which they are plotted in the chart and listed in
the legend.

- Jon
-------

> Jon-
>
> Sorry I didn't clarify that I was using Excel 2007 - that probably would
> have helped!!  Anyway, the series is still out of order even after I
> rearranged them in the Select Source Data dialog and they are the same
> chart
> type.
>
> For some reason, I cannot put either year (2006 or 2008) in front of 2007.
>
> I appreciate all of your help!
>
> "Jon Peltier" wrote:
>
>> You didn't say you were using Excel 2007, so I went with the law of
>> averages. Excel 2007 has the move up and move down buttons, so the old
>> Series Order dialog is unnecessary.
>>
>> Are the series still out of order after you rearranged them in the Select
>> Source Data dialog? Are they all the same chart type?
>>
>> - Jon
>> -------
>> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
>> Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com
>> _______
>>

>> "Double L" <DoubleL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Jon-
>> >
>> > From the "Select Data Source" box, I entered 2008 as a new source and
>> > removed 2005.  I then moved 2008 ahead of 2007 on this list.  I cannot
>> > double-click on anything that brings up a Series Order tab.  Can you
>> > advise?
>> > Thank you for your help.

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
5/3/2008 12:31:56 AM
How do you change the order if the series are not on the same axis? (two are
on the primary access, and one is on a secondary access)

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> Look at each series' formula: when you select a series and look in the
> formula bar, you'll see something like this:
>
> =SERIES(Sheet1!$B$1,Sheet1!$A$2:$A$10,Sheet1!$B$2:$B$10,1)
>
> The last argument, 1 in the above, is the plot order of the series. If all
> the series are the same type and on the same axis (primary vs. secondary)
> this dictates the order in which they are plotted in the chart and listed in
> the legend.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> _______
>

> "Double L" <DoubleL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Jon-
> >
> > Sorry I didn't clarify that I was using Excel 2007 - that probably would
> > have helped!!  Anyway, the series is still out of order even after I
> > rearranged them in the Select Source Data dialog and they are the same
> > chart
> > type.
> >
> > For some reason, I cannot put either year (2006 or 2008) in front of 2007.
> >
> > I appreciate all of your help!
> >
> > "Jon Peltier" wrote:
> >
> >> You didn't say you were using Excel 2007, so I went with the law of
> >> averages. Excel 2007 has the move up and move down buttons, so the old
> >> Series Order dialog is unnecessary.
> >>
> >> Are the series still out of order after you rearranged them in the Select
> >> Source Data dialog? Are they all the same chart type?
> >>
> >> - Jon
> >> -------
> >> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> >> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> >> Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com
> >> _______
> >>

> >> "Double L" <DoubleL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
JonO (8)
6/11/2008 4:35:02 PM
You can't. Chart series are listed in order, but all series on the primary
axis are listed together, separate from all series on the secondary axis.
Within the axis groupings, series of each type are also listed separately.

- Jon
-------

"JonO" <JonO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do you change the order if the series are not on the same axis? (two
> are
> on the primary access, and one is on a secondary access)
>

> "Jon Peltier" wrote:
>
>> Look at each series' formula: when you select a series and look in the
>> formula bar, you'll see something like this:
>>
>> =SERIES(Sheet1!$B$1,Sheet1!$A$2:$A$10,Sheet1!$B$2:$B$10,1)
>>
>> The last argument, 1 in the above, is the plot order of the series. If
>> all
>> the series are the same type and on the same axis (primary vs. secondary)
>> this dictates the order in which they are plotted in the chart and listed
>> in
>> the legend.
>>
>> - Jon
>> -------
>> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
>> Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com
>> _______
>>

>> "Double L" <DoubleL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Jon-
>> >
>> > Sorry I didn't clarify that I was using Excel 2007 - that probably
>> > would
>> > have helped!!  Anyway, the series is still out of order even after I
>> > rearranged them in the Select Source Data dialog and they are the same
>> > chart
>> > type.
>> >
>> > For some reason, I cannot put either year (2006 or 2008) in front of
>> > 2007.
>> >
>> > I appreciate all of your help!

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)

Is there a limit to the number of points in a chart source data
I'm trying to put in a value range in a chart. The cells are every other cell. When I start selecting the cells I can only click on 10 cells. On number 11 I get a bell sound and the value source data block goes back to displaying only a =. Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thx Hi, There is a limit to the number of data points, 32k, but that is not the limit you are hitting. The series formula has a limit. The series formula looks something like this. This is for a chart based on data in B2:B5 with axis labels in A2:A5 and series name in B1. =SERIES(Sheet1!$B$1,Sheet1!$A$...

Queries and Charts

Value Axis Change Problem in Chart
Hi there, I currently have a line chart displaying trends over time. The problem I have is that the chart appearance becomes meaningles after updating the source data cell range. This is because the minimum value for the Y axis changes from 2.2 to 0 which in turn makes it difficult to detect trends over time. I want to automatically adjust the scale to the value range, and hav set the chart up this way, but it is also causing the problem. Please take a look at the attached .doc file for some screenshots o the chart. Why is it setting the minimum value to 0 and how can I get around thi w...

chart the number of occurances
Hey all, I'm creating a database of my music albums in excell, in addition to album title and performer, I also store the album year, from wich country..... Now i'd like to make stats of this: e.g. a column chart with on the X-axis years, and on the Y-axis the number of occurances (=>the number of albums) from that year. Can anyone help me? Thanks -- kemel Hi, Use a pivot table /pivot table chart..should be fairly easy Data > Pivot tables... -- Richard Flame ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Richard Flame's Profile: http:/...

Values in the Legend?
Is there a way to show values in the legend - behind the series text? Thanks, Phil Do you want to show just a single value? You can either build a lengthier label (like =A1&B1), and use this as the new series name, or you can select multiple cells for the name, and Excel puts them together with a space between. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Phil Hageman wrote: > Is there a way to show values in the legend - behind the series text? > Thanks, Phil ...

How do I flip a bar chart?
I need to have two bar charts that I want to display back to back ( so that the one on the left's bars go out toward the left and the one on the right's bars go out toward the right). How can I flip one? Kristen wrote on Fri, 5 May 2006 10:05:01 -0700: K> I need to have two bar charts that I want to display back to K> back ( so that the one on the left's bars go out toward the K> left and the one on the right's bars go out toward the K> right). K> How can I flip one? Would the "values in reverse order" option for the x-axis scale do what y...

Hiding (not deleting) a Legend Entry
I currently have a series of lines plotted on an XY scatter chart. have check boxes setup in the data so that I can display any or all o the lines at any given time. The legend always displays every singl series, regardless if it is visible on the chart or not. I woul really like to make the legend correspond with only the series that ar visible at any given time. This will keep the legend from bein extremely cluttered when I have a large number of series plotted on th same chart. Other than deleting and then re-adding the series' name to the lengend every time I uncheck or check add...

Hiding a series in a legend
Was hoping someone may be able to help with an annoying little problem I've got. On a simple xy scattergraph I have a number of series that I want to appear on the chart yet don't want in the legend. Is there a way of doing this? Thanks Hi Phil, Here is some information on manually deleting legend entries. http://www.andypope.info/charts/deletelegendentry.htm Cheers Andy Phil wrote: > Was hoping someone may be able to help with an annoying little problem > I've got. On a simple xy scattergraph I have a number of series that I > want to appear on the chart yet don...

Charts are captured between rows and show up in powerpoint
First, I want to thank you in advance for reading this and helping me. I am in a real pickle here and cannot seem to figure out what is going on. The Problem: I am using Excel 2003. I created several charts in my excel workbook and then proceeded to add and delete rows to move my charts and data around. Somehow in this process parts of charts are now trapped in between rows. The only way that I can see anything wrong in excel is if I highlight the affected area. The line between the rows appears white. The problem happens when I copy these charts into Powerpoint for my presentation. Wh...

charting #4
I have a series of data in two colums -- one is the year, the other is a number. When I select the data to chart it the year is on the y-axis. I have tried to copy the data and select it in a different order, but the year is still on the y-axis. How can I change the axis? Data Sample: 1970 3.2 1971 4.2 1972 6.5 Hi! Have you tried the XY scattergraph? Al -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Add a heading to the Number column, and leave the year heading blank. Qty 1970 3.2 1971 4.2 1972 6.5 Then, select a cell in the range, and create t...

Help with charts
Could anyone please help me? I would like to set up a Stacked Column Chart of the following table. Gold medal Silver medal Bronze medal Day 1 Day 2 Day 1 Day 2 Day 1 Day 2 New Zealand 2 2 4 3 3 1 Australia 3 4 5 2 4 3 I would like to have the country names on the x- axis and the number of medals on the y-axis. Each country's "day 1 and day 2" should be grouped together in the chart. Can this be done? ...

Chart update automatically
Sometimes I start a data list to chart, create a chart then add data and the chart automatically updates as I add to the data list. The X axis grows with each entry. Other times, I do what I think is the same thing but the chart lays dormant. I actually have to manually update the series range. Nothing I do seems to make it "automatic". Is there a way to make any chart (new or existing) update automatically when dynamic data is involved? Hi, The chart will update automatically if, - you based the chart on a List (Table in xl2007) - created and used a dynamic named range - i...

Pivot Chart Legend
Hello, When I create a pivot chart that is simply a single category field and a single data items field (no series fields), I get the simple column chart that I want. This chart has 'Total' as its title and 'Total' as the legend label. How can I modify the legend label to something more descriptive? -- Thanks, MarkN You can delete the chart title, or change it to something more descriptive. You can't change the label in the legend, but since there's only one series, you could change the chart options so the legend doesn't show. MarkN wrote: > Hello, > ...

How to display both $ in pie chart and % in legend
I have a spreadsheet in excel that has some simple data Total-C $90 59% Total-K $24 15% Total-L $40 26% I'd like to display this info in a pie chart, but more specifically, I'd like to have the $ over the slices, and the % in the legend. I have been able to display both in the slices. I've serched for tutorials, but nothing indicates that what I am trying to do is possible without just typing in the percent as part of the series names. Any suggestions? Thanks, Christi Christi, This is what I came up with: Cell A2 "Total-C" Cell B2 "$90&quo...

Problem with order in Legend
Hello, I have two items in a chart legend. When the legend is on the right-hand side of the page, one is above the other. I would like to reverse them so the one that is now on the top will be on the bottom. How do i do this? Thank you, Keith Keith - You can change the plot order (Double click, Series Order tab). If both series are not the same chart type, this will not work. Different chart types have their own place in the legend order. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Keith wr...

Excel Only Lets me put 11 items in a chart!
I tried to only put 12 items in a chart for at least 2 hours put Excel only lets me put in 11 items!! Please help! I don't get it because word will let me put at least 12 and more!! I've reimstalled Excel and download all updates and it still doesn't work! -Josh There's a limit to the number of characters that you can enter in the Data Range box. As a workaround, you could define the range of cells that you want to use, and enter the range name in the Data Range box. There are some instructions here for creating a named range: http://www.contextures.com/xlNames01...

flip chart
If you are looking for Flipchart Paper in Canada go to www.lebflipchart.ca This is cheapest and largest company that sells Flipchart paper all across Canada. They are 24 hours/7days a week/365 days a year open. Minimum order is 10 pads. the have different sizes and qualities of paper. If you need more info call toll free 1-877-60-PAPER (72737) Sorry Canada only!! ...

Chart data
used the chart wizard to build a chart from a table source, everything here is good. But, when the table is appended with new line data this is not transfered to the chart. How can the chart data source automatically capture the new table line information. It ought to do this automatically, as soon as you re-open the report, unless it's a chart created from a linked Excel Spreadsheet which may be different. What version of Access do you have? Evi "Wigwam" <Wigwam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EEE8CA6B-94C4-4E09-B02F-441E4B04ED4C@microsoft.com... >...

Chart is shaded when not selected
I am using XL 2003 SP1. I created a stacked column chart that is located on the same page as the data. When I click off of the chart, it is completely shaded, you cannot see any of the chart detail. When I select the chart you can see the entire chart as you normally would. I have checked the properties for the chart, the background is white, and everything else seems to be in order. If I choose the location of the chart to be on a separate tab, this does not happen. Any ideas? Choose Options on the Tools menu, click on the View tab, and under Objects, choose Show All. - Jon -----...

Office 2003 chart features?
I have been contemplating possibly purchasing Office 2003 and was wondering if there were any major improvements for charting? Any opinions are always greatly appreciated. Thanks. joan Hi Joan/NYC, > I have been contemplating possibly purchasing Office 2003 > and was wondering if there were any major improvements for > charting? No. Regards Stephen Bullen Microsoft MVP - Excel www.BMSLtd.co.uk Thanks Stephen. >-----Original Message----- >Hi Joan/NYC, > >> I have been contemplating possibly purchasing Office 2003 >> and was wondering if there were...

Custom charting
This may be difficult to explain but am going to try :) I need to track "Liaison Costs" and "Sorting Costs" by month. I also need to compare "Liaison Costs" to a budget and generate the difference on the chart for the given month, at the same time displaying a stacked bar that shows the "Liaison Costs" and "Sorting Costs". For example: Jan Feb Mar Liaison Costs 15,000 16,000 9,000 Sorting Costs 6,000 15,000 11,000 Budget 15,000 15,000 15,000 So now I need to plot the char...

Charting data in the same column on multiple tabs
How can I chart the data in the same column on multiple tabs? This article describes how to use data from different sheets in a single chart: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ChartFromDiffSheets.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com _______ "Bob Hopson" <BobHopson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FCFEB676-BBD0-45F2-9638-969A3E44C604@microsoft.com... > How can I chart the data in the same column on multiple tabs? ...

Legends again
Dear Jon, Thanks for your answer. I did it the way you describe in the former version of Excel, but now I use the XP version and it doesn't seem to work here. I get the handles alright, but it does not change the individual spacing between the legends, so is there another way? Anne Hi Anne - I'm still on only 97 or 2000, but I can't believe the behavior has changed. Then again, Microsoft did fix a "bug" in XP that I'd been treating as a "feature" in 2000! - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/index...

Sizing Charts
Is there a way to code in the size of charts on a worksheet? I have to make an on-screen presentation and need all the charts the same size. What would the code be, and would I put it in the worksheet object code? Thanks, Phil "Phil Hageman" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0f7301c39d62$4c0bbf60$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Is there a way to code in the size of charts on a > worksheet? I have to make an on-screen presentation and > need all the charts the same size. > > What would the code be, and would I put it in the > worksheet ...

legends in excel
i'm trying to have my legend of my chart be the "legend" to column A in my worksheet. Ive tried a hundred times to no avail. what do i do? am i supposed to add the cell range, and if so, how? I'm not sure what you're trying to do, but perhaps the information in Jon Peltier's charting tutorial will help you: http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/index.html lilpunkk12 wrote: > i'm trying to have my legend of my chart be the "legend" to column A in my > worksheet. Ive tried a hundred times to no avail. what do i do? > am i supposed ...