Is there a virus out there that is affecting excel spreadsheets

Was adding my spreadsheets and the numbers would not add up.  So I shut my
computer down and ran a norton anti virus program.  It seemed to correct the
problem for now but can someone advise me if there is a virus out there that
is affecting the spreadsheet programs
Thanks
Jean
0
Jean (71)

"jean" <jean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Was adding my spreadsheets and the numbers would not add up.  So I
> shut my computer down and ran a norton anti virus program.  It
seemed
> to correct the problem for now but can someone advise me if there is
> a virus out there that is affecting the spreadsheet programs
> Thanks
> Jean

You ran Norton, but did it find anything?

Just a simple shut-down and re-boot will fix many common computer
problems that are nothing to do with a virus, just related to things
getting corrupted over a days use, or memory leak, or ..... etc etc
etc..

Alan.

0
alan4377 (173)
2/2/2005 9:56:28 PM
In addition to the goodness that follows a clean reboot (like a
cleansing spring rain, without the electrical shorts), was calculation
turned to manual before the shutdown? That'll prevent things from adding up.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

jean wrote:

> Was adding my spreadsheets and the numbers would not add up.  So I shut my
> computer down and ran a norton anti virus program.  It seemed to correct the
> problem for now but can someone advise me if there is a virus out there that
> is affecting the spreadsheet programs
> Thanks
> Jean

some one help in graphic excel?
hello I'm a new and thankyou for this site I'm work on the graphic the part( x,y scater) and I want to draw this section geometric in the pic how can I do that ? somone help pleas and thankyou for al Attachment filename: nader.jpg Download attachment: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=59125 -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Go here for graphing help. Jon Peltier's Excel Page -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "nader >" <<nader.18bstt@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in me...

cell formatting in excel
all cells in excel 2003 are now accepting only 1 character, alpha or numeric when I go to type 2003 , for instance, the 2 shows, but then when I try to add the 0, the 2 disappears. ...

How to link rows in Excel so they will stay together during sort?
In Excel I am trying to track body weights over time for hospital patients, linked with specific interventions on the row below. I would like to link these 2 rows of data permanently so that when I sort based on intervention, the body weight data will stay with the intervention. Excel doesn't work like this. Each row in a list is a distinct record. Your intervention information should go in the same row as the patient data, in the sortable database. You could construct a display worksheet that linked two rows of cells to one row of the data worksheet. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Mic...

Excel Hyperlinks
Is there a way of linking an Excel cell to a particular location in another document, for example a paragraph in a Word document or a page in a OneNote notebook? Thanks! Start to Insert a Hyperlink, Ctrl-k In the address box enter the full path and file name of the dcoument and the anchor location preixed with a #, eg C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\TmpLink.doc#myBookmark In the Word document you will need to have already inserted and named a Bookmark at the particular location. Regards, Peter T "Nickbray" <Nickbray@discussions.microsoft.com&g...

insert excel spreadsheet
Hello I have a Word document into which I want to insert an Excel spreadsheet. I want to be able to update the spreadsheet and have the word document update at the same time. I also want to be able to print the word document with the excel data shown as a table. I think this is possible, but I cannot find the route. I have excel 2007 and word 2007 Thanks KK Copy your Excel data Paste into Word using the Paste Special/Paste Link option On Mar 22, 9:46=A0am, "KRK" <tre...@yeleek.nospam.freeserve.co.uk> wrote: > Hello > > I have a Word do...

Excel hangs up
I am using Excel 97. Just recently my wife tried to save a spreadsheet. After she saved and closed it, rather than a blank sheet showing up, she got a gray screen where the cells would usually be. The buttons on the top right of the screen, i.e. the minimize, 'X', etc disappeared. The only she could exit was to use the file drop-down menu and exit Excel and then restart it. Any suggestions. -- Take out the trash to reply Hi Ultraglide Maybe she hide it Window>Unhide in the menu bar If not try Window>Arrange -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Ultr...

excel 2007, how to select a data point and cycle through data points
I've searched the archives but can find nothing on this topic. Prior to excel 2007, I could select a data series (xy scatter chart) and press the right arrow key to cycle through the data points, and a data point highlighter would move from point to point so I would know which point was currently selected. Through many versions of excel I have found this feature very useful. Excel 2007 seems to be missing the little data point highlighter. I can still format individual data points, but I don't know beforehand which point is selected. Is this a know feature of excel 2007? Is it kn...

Viruses
I heard that Outlook is not really as risky as one would think about getting a virus attack and that Outlook Express is what is usally attacked. Is there any truth to that? Can anyone share any experiences they have had with virus attacks and Outlook? Please tell us your version number too. Thanks These two articles will give you a clue as to which versions of Outlook are most at-risk. Short version: if you use a current version and have all updates installed, you are quite safe from everything except your own stupidity. http://www.slipstick.com/emo/2005/up050120.htm#preview http...

Virus like behaviour but no virus
G'day Hope I can get some help with this one 1)Exchange 2003 on Windows 2003 2) I have scanned the server for viruses using two reputable brands and no virus has been detected. I have an Exchange compatible virus scanner; no viruses. 3) The SMTP service is running; The Exchange Virtual SMTP server is stopped. 4) As soon as the virtual SMTP server is started my link is flooded with outbound traffic. If I then pause the virtual server the flooding continues. If I stop the virtual SMTP server the flooding stops. 5) I cannot see anything in the queues. Getting desperate so any suggesti...

Can excel pasted int Publisher 2003 corrupt the file?
Here is my dilemma, I have a publisher document that I wanted to add cells from an excel file, I copied and pasted the excel cells and saved the document, but when i go to reopen the publisher file I get the message "publisher can not open file". I have only encounterd this problem when I paste cells from excel, word docs that are merged in work fine. And no copying excel files into word and then mergeing them into publisher doesnt work because word still keeps the cell properties from excel. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. ...

Mac Excel
On my PC, while typing in a cell you could hit the Option or Command Key at the Same time as you hit the Return Key and you could create a line break within a cell. How do you do this with Mac Excel? This is driving me crazy that I can't figure it out and the Help option gave no solution. In article <56848406-1309-46DD-A3E4-9956EFB69B3F@microsoft.com>, GrayWhale <GrayWhale@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > On my PC, while typing in a cell you could hit the Option or Command Key at > the Same time > as you hit the Return Key and you could create a line brea...

How to create Excel file?
Hi all I'm creating an application and I want to save the output in an excel sheet file, doesn any one know how can I do that ?? Thanks What do you mean, do you want to save it in a format that Execl can read, or do you want to save in a real execl file. Execl doesn't have a problem reading comma seperated files, if that exceptable. Or look into actually opening an execl spreadsheet within your application and let the user input their data directly into the spreadsheet. (COM Object) and here are links with descriptions to the file format http://sc.openoffice.org/excelfileformat.p...

EXCEL HISTORY
When was EXCEL first released by MS and how may releases have their been since? Approximately in 1986 -- I had version 0.99 for the Macintosh. There have been about 11 versions: 1, 2, 2.1, 3, 4, 5, 95, 97, 2000, 2002, 2003 "Wayne" <Wayne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6E0C2F9E-ED05-4151-B4AE-D619E88351C4@microsoft.com... > When was EXCEL first released by MS and how may releases have their been since? http://www.j-walk.com/ss/excel/index.htm -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Wayne" <Wayne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6E0...

Excel 2007 Charting Slow:
I have a problem with Excel 2007 loading a chart in a spreadsheet that was created in Excel 2003. It takes forever to display the chart. A very helpful Microsoft rep told me this is a known issue with Excel when one or more axis settings are Fixed rather than Auto. Changing axis settings to Auto restores performance but only until you go back to fixed. At least there's a workaround for now but there is apparently a patch available from MS. KB938538 is related to the problem but I can find no reference to it. 1. Is anyone else having this problem? 2. Has anyone got the patch a...

Excel Forumla
I am hoping that you may be able to help me. I have been able to work out a formula that will count down the day from when an employee attended his/ her biennial assessment. How can I get excel to either print a report or alert me, say, xx day before employees are due for there next biennial assessment -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com One way: Assume last biennial assessment in A1. Then number of days til next one is: =DATE(YEAR(A1)+2,MONTH(A1),DAY(A1)) - TODAY() Format as General. In article <Rod.S.1886we@excelforum-nospam.com>, Rod. S <<Rod.S....

How do I label or name a column in Excel?
please advise me how ot make a label or a name for each column in an Excel spreadsheet? You can't change the column headers in a worksheet. They are fixed as letters, by default, or numbers if you select the R1C1 reference style under Tools, Options, General. -- Jim Rech Excel MVP "kmax" <kmax@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:329627BC-145F-411B-B0CA-4CE689BE693A@microsoft.com... | please advise me how ot make a label or a name for each column in an Excel | spreadsheet? Kmax, just put your names in row 1 -- Paul B Always backup your data before t...

AVG Virus software
Hi, I use the free version of AVG. When I looked at my VIRUS VAULT I saw about 10 entries, some described as virus, but I am not sure what to do to get rid of these things. Do I select EMPTY VAULT or else select each item and click on DELETE ? Thanks, Peter Since it's not part of Windows XP, you would ask here: http://forums.avg.com/us-en/avg-free-forum "Peter Buttuls" <ye025@victoria.tc.ca> wrote in message news:%23dhtl4%23hKHA.4912@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... : Hi, : I use the free version of AVG. When I looked at my VIRUS VAULT I saw about : 10 entr...

Virus e-mails
I posted a Question Oct 4 at 11:45 PM "Balanced or Mixed Asset Funds" Sence then my e-mail address has received hundreds of virus carrying e-mails every day some purported to be from Microsoft or Postmaster, etc. My virus S/W deleted them and I don't run .exe e-mail attachments. My e-mail is overloaded and useless. Only the e-mail given to this newsgroup is effected. Why are our e-mail addresses included in the post? To whom should I report this? It is not just this newsgroup. The spammers have software that scans all the newsgroups and pull out anything that look...

Remove trailing spaces from Excel?
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) I exported contact data from FileMaker into Excel 2008 so that I can import it to Address Book - a majority of the cells now have trailing spaces and I tried to use TRIM to clean it up but when I tried to paste values only in a new sheet, the spaces come through again. I also tried to copy the spaces and remove them using Find/Replace, but that didn't work either. Any other suggestions? I need to get rid of the spaces so that I can import clean data. Thanks! Resolved issue using CLEAN, thanks! ...

I think i have a virus
I have a problem with exchange. each time I start it up the internet connection comes to a stand still. I looked into the queues and found a huge list of domains with messages. I noticed that is I stop the virtual SMTP server the internet comes back to life, I ended up delete all the queues and uninstalling reinstalling SMTP. But still I have the problem? any answers? It might be that one of your accounts is compromised. Disable SMTP relay for authenticated users and change passwords on all accounts. AlanM wrote: > I have a problem with exchange. > > each time I start it up t...

Adding large times in excel 2003
I seem to have an issue when calculating department totals for staff time in excel. I am pulling data off the phone system. it gives a time say of 15004:44:23 and another department is 13894:34:23 I need to add these two totals up in excel but it does not like it and returns a #value. I have formated as [h]:mm:ss and [hh]:mm:ss as well as the time format as hh:mm:ss and neither works. it always returns just #VALUE It seems after about 12000 hours excel fails to see it as a "number" to add Is there a formula that will work that will allow me to add these large times? or how to mke...

how do i watermark an excel spreadsheet?
office 2000, would like to have watermark behind text in spreadsheet, to appear centre page, almost full size of page. I believe watermarks are put on through your printer properties / effects -- grizz "rsl" wrote: > office 2000, would like to have watermark behind text in spreadsheet, to > appear centre page, almost full size of page. Hi rsl, Run this in the sheet module and see what has to be tweeked to suit your needs. Can change the number of sheets as needed as well as the watermark wording and font size. Change the "For Page = 1 To 1 ...

Excel and Text problem
I know, Excel isn't a word processor, but for someone who's got an amazing amount of text in an Excel document right now, saying "Excel doesn't really do that" isn't going to make him happy. So, Excel 2000, Text in a cell isn't wrapping at the end. The last sentence runs off the cell and is half a paragraph's worth of text. If I copy it into a fresh spreadsheet, all the text displays properly, so I know its not that there's too much text. For one paragraph, I was able to put it into Word, make line breaks and bring it back. However, for other paragrap...

How do I create synchronised lists in Excel?
I want to create synchronised validated lists in Excel so that, when I choose one item from the first list, I can only choose from a set items in the second list. If I choose a different item in the first list, I will only be able to choose from a different set of items in the second list. Is there a way to do this? I am using Excel 2007, with Windows XP. http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlDataVal02.html Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 05:47:01 -0700, Kimtab <Kimtab@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I want to create synchronised validated lists in Ex...

email virus alerts
I am getting tons of Email virus alerts with the address coming from MS Corporation Public Assistance, MS Corporate Security Internet Department. What does this mean. Is there anyway I can set this up so that it automatically deletes it from my inbox? See www.microsoft.com/security and you'll learn that this junk is not from Microsoft. Spam detector software can usually detect and handle this stuff. Hope this is useful to you. Let us know. rms margie wrote: > I am getting tons of Email virus alerts with the address > coming from MS Corporation Public Assistance, MS ...