Is it possible to display text in charts?

I am creating graphs for results from a survey. Part of this is to graph each
individual's response to every question.

If a person did not answer a question, I would like "N/A" to appear in the
data for the chart.

I am not using formulas -- the numbers are typed directly into the
spreadsheet. Is there any way to have the text "N/A" display in the chart
data? Currently, if I enter text in the corresponding cell, it displays as
"0" in the chart data.

Thanks!
0
Janine (1)

Janine,

You can try applying a custom format to those entries that are coming across
as zero.  To do so, select one of the entries that has a zero value on your
worksheet.  Go to the Standard Toolbar and select Format Cells.  In the
Format Cells dialog box, go to the Number tab.  Scroll down to the bottom
untill you see the "Custom" format.  In the Type input area for the Custom
format, enter "N/A" - be sure to enter the quotes with it.

If you add a data table or labels to your chart, the text value N/A will
come across for zero values.

--
Regards,
John Mansfield

"Janine" wrote:

> I am creating graphs for results from a survey. Part of this is to graph each
> individual's response to every question.
>
> If a person did not answer a question, I would like "N/A" to appear in the
> data for the chart.
>
> I am not using formulas -- the numbers are typed directly into the
> spreadsheet. Is there any way to have the text "N/A" display in the chart
> data? Currently, if I enter text in the corresponding cell, it displays as
> "0" in the chart data.
>
> Thanks!

having trouble creating chart to show monthly totals
Hi I'm using office XP. I keep a single spreadsheet were I record orders received. Its a very simple sheet with one order per row. In col B I place the date the order was received (in the format DD/MM/YY) I'd like to make a chart (pie or column) which displays the total number of orders per month so that I can see at a glance when were busy and quieter periods. I've tried using the wizard but all I ever get is a mess and not what I expect to see at all. I suspect I may need to separate my data by month? But is there a way for Excel to work that out for itself from a sin...

Is it possible

Display SSN
We have reports (SSRS) and asp.net web pages that I would like to display only the last 4 digits of SSN with leading X's. For example, 123-45-6789 would display as XXX-XX-6789. Is that possible? Thanks. -- David ...

How do I create a dual axes column chart in Excel
Hi...I am trying to create a dual axes column chart in MS Excel 2003. But the moment I add the secondary axis the bars are getting overlapped. Alok, This example should help: http://www.pdbook.com/index.php/excel/two_column_series_with_two_axes/ -- Regards, John Mansfield http://www.pdbook.com "Alok" wrote: > Hi...I am trying to create a dual axes column chart in MS Excel 2003. But the > moment I add the secondary axis the bars are getting overlapped. ...

Personal Folders in OWA

Displaying an edited bitmap
I am currently working on a dialog application in which I want to display a bitmap which I manipulate based on data in a file. I can display the bitmap by putting the following code, copied from CodeGuru, in the OnPaint function: ///////////////////////////// HBITMAP hBmp = (HBITMAP)::LoadImage(NULL, "filename.bmp", IMAGE_BITMAP, 0, 0, LR_LOADFROMFILE/LR_CREATEDIBSECTION); bmp.Attach(hBmp); // CBitmap bmp was declared as a member function in the class view CClientDC dc(this); CDC bmDC; bmDC.CreateCompatibleDC(&dc); CBitmap *pOldbmp = bmDC.SelectObject(&bmp); BITMAP bi; ...

Add text to formula?
I have this formula kindly given to me in one of these Excel ngs: =COUNTIF(E:E,"You Won!*")&":"&COUNTIF(E:E,"You Lost*") The challenge is that any custom text I add to the cell formatting doesn't show up in the cell. Would it be possible to add something like this text below to the above (but also including line breaks)?: **************************************************************** Score --------- You:Computer = Formula result of: =COUNTIF(E:E,"You Won!*")&":"&COUNTIF(E:E,"You Lost*") *********************...

Summing specific texts
Hi, please help me, I need assistance: I am trying to find the total number of times a specific word has bee entered in a column. I tried using LEN and SUBSTITUE but it seems lik that only works if it's a single letter? Here's the details - some one much smarter than I am will surely hav an answer for me? Word is *Toffee * (and is written in A1) The field is *D1 to D600 *(a text formatted column containing singl words in each cell) -I have had some success with the LEN and SUBSTITUTE formula when usin a single letter but I have had to write out the whole field a D1&D2&D3&...

how do i make the excel chart axis title boxes bigger?
The text is often truncated as though it were too long for the box. If I reduce the font the titles are often too small to read. How do I "grow" the boxes to accomodate longer strings? Perhaps try Andy Pope's response to a similar past query: http://tinyurl.com/7sz94 -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- GMT+8, 1� 22' N 103� 45' E xdemechanik ---- "Patrick98001" <Patrick98001@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:608942AC-9AA9-4B10-B81B-1A90588B92AB@microsoft.com... > The text is often truncated as though it were too long for the box. If I > redu...

Excel
Excel allows 32,767 characters in a single cell but it only displays th first 1,024. Is there a way around this? If so, please explain i laymans terms. Thank you very much for any help you can provide -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com You can't break the 32k limit, but you can see more characters in the cell if you pepper (a layman's term <bg>) your text with a bunch of alt-enters where you want to see line breaks within the cell. Hit and hold the alt and then hit enter at various spots. JTD wrote: > > Excel allows 32,767 characters in a single cell but...

Radar Charting problems, Can I change...
Hi people I have 2 queries relating to Radar charts in Excel (Office XP/2002). Can I change the angle/start position of the first plotted point? I always starts at 12 o'clock but I want it to start at 9 o'clock. I ca re-order the data to achieve this effect but the data, to the viewer is not in a logical sequence if I do that. Then also, can I change the direction of the plotting from clockwise t anti-clockwise? Thanks in advance. Stell -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Stella - You can't do these things (unless someone smarter than me knows how), but you c...

Texte arabe dans Word
> Ce message est au format MIME. Comme votre programme de lecture de courriers ne comprend pas ce format, il se peut que tout ou une partie de ce message soit illisible. --B_3279965611_640133 Content-type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-transfer-encoding: 8bit Bonjour, J�utilise l��dition fran�aise de Word 2004 (version 11.3.8) sous le syst�me d�exploitation Mac OS 10.4.11. Lorsque je colle du texte arabe dans un document Word, depuis TextEdit par exemple, l�application quitte inopin�ment. Si j��cris directement dans Word, les lettres ne sont pas attach�es. Sauri...

My Bar Chart Is Missing
I have inserted a bar chart and I have used one of PowerPoint's built in templates. I saved the presentation and now when I open it up the chart outline opens up, the Chart Tools contextual tabs open up, I can view the data, but the slide does not show the bar chart? Any ideas? Your help is greatly appreciated!!!! (B^>)-]=[ ...

Chart Variables
I am using Excel 2003. I'm using "Option Explicit" to force variable declaration. I want to tie the axes of a chart that I have named "MyChart" to worksheet cells. I've been working with the following but continue to get errors: Dim Cht as ChartObject Set Cht = Worksheets("Model").ChartObjects("MyChart").Chart With Cht.Axes(xlValue) .MaximumScale = Sheets("Charts").Range("C7") .MinimumScale = Sheets("Charts").Range("C9") .MajorUnit = Sheets("Charts").Range("C...

Listbox contains check box, small image icon and text
I would like to implement a list control in which every row contains check box, small image icon and text. how can I do it? Are there any sample codes? -- Nothing impossible, Nothing sure This will be a good start: http://www.codeproject.com/listctrl/ ----- Ajay Kalra ajaykalra@yahoo.com "NianHawk" <NianHawk@hotmail.com.invalid> wrote in message news:C43782D7-9D80-4F74-92EC-05E47983291E@microsoft.com... > I would like to implement a list control in which every row contains check > box, small image icon and text. how can I do it? Are there any sample codes? Dont k...

Rich Text / Plain Text. Error message
Hello Folks Every time I send an email, I get a window telling me that the email I am sending is in Rich Text format ((HTML) and asking me whether I wish to proceed by sendng in HTML, sending Plain Text or canceling. This is regardless of whether I am sending a simple attachment (Excel file a picture) even without any text. I have also just deleted my old account and re-set it up again. Please can you tell me how to avoid this message in the future? Looking forward to your answer in anticipation. Georgie Girl Isn't there a "Don't show me this again" ...

Design issue; and finding and displaying row on other workbook
1. An academic course is divided into two sections: lecture and discussion. The lecture section contains all classes, but the discussion classes do not. The discussion section is further divided into three subsections, each containing multiple classes. The need is to coordinate student attendance and grades for all sections. Currently we have 1 lecture section workbook with all student names, IDs, and other info; and 3 discussion section workbooks with the same only for the relevant subsection. And then there is a consolidation workbook where lecture and discussion are put together and attend...

pictures in various shapes
Is it possible to insert a picture and make it into a circle or an oval or various other shapes than just squares and rectangles? Thank you ahead of time. with a graphics editor -- Rob Giordano Microsoft MVP - FrontPage "Stephanie" <Stephanie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:014D0D06-15F9-4D92-8D93-64FBD3A9CA32@microsoft.com... | Is it possible to insert a picture and make it into a circle or an oval or | various other shapes than just squares and rectangles? Thank you ahead of | time. | | Stephanie wrote: > Is it possible to insert a pict...

Exporting email with atachment to text file
I would lke to have a backup of all my email in a pure text form. Many years ago I used Netscape email, and the entire mail file was pur text; attachments followed the message and were encoded in base64. I could always retrieve my email (with a little effort) by cuting and pasting, and using uuencode to retrieve the binary form of the attachment. Is there any way to do this in Outlook? I have recently encountered difficulties with different versions of Outook at home and work, so would like to avoid problems like this in the future by having a purely text email file. TIA <dtshedd@yah...

Is this possible
I want to make a list of the files in several different folders. Is it possible to somehow "Copy and paste" just the filenames into a list, in either Word or Excel or Wordperfect. I am just trying to sort the files in several different folders to weed out duplicates. There has got to be an easier way then typing them all or screen printing the lists and manually weeding them out. Any suggestions. Frustrated... Hans, Here is some code that will start in a directory and list all files in that and any sub directories. It uses recursion to go through all the subs. Just ch...

Alphabetizing text
I am new to exel and have no clue as how to enter a formula or which one to use. I want to put in a big directory with dept. names and their new extensions. Then I want it alphabetized only. Any help would be appreciated especialli in lame man terms. Thanks, Barb It's easier if you have headers, then just select the whole range and do data > sort and sort ascending by the dep names ( I assume) -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Barb" <Barb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:62E041D3-FD53-45A2-9F52-E7F334D1A752@microsoft.com... >I am new to exel and ha...