Is it possible to conditionaly format based on the data label?

I've been searching this board to find an answer and all the post (so far)
are helpful but they don't quite get me to where I need to be.  That said...

I have a 3d plain Jane bargraph.  The data is linked to cells, and I
physically change the graph at the begining of every month( add to the data
series).  When I add the new data the series points may change but the
individual bars do change color.  Long story longer...How can I keep the
series the same format (keep"defective equipment" for Feb - June blue)
through out the graph no matter what changes are made.  I would assume this
would be done through conditional formatting.  But how can this be applied to
the data label "defective equipment"
0
David4882 (672)

David:
We need more details to help you more effectively I think.  For instance,
does every bar have a different colour, or do you have a single colour for
the entire series?
Henk

"David" wrote:

> I've been searching this board to find an answer and all the post (so far)
> are helpful but they don't quite get me to where I need to be.  That said...
>
> I have a 3d plain Jane bargraph.  The data is linked to cells, and I
> physically change the graph at the begining of every month( add to the data
> series).  When I add the new data the series points may change but the
> individual bars do change color.  Long story longer...How can I keep the
> series the same format (keep"defective equipment" for Feb - June blue)
> through out the graph no matter what changes are made.  I would assume this
> would be done through conditional formatting.  But how can this be applied to
> the data label "defective equipment"
0
HEK (135)
6/19/2006 9:49:01 PM
Two comments:

1. Generally it's better to use 2D charts, as 3D charting effects can
distort what you're trying to show. (Unless of course that's your
intention.)

2. For conditional charting, check out this page:

  http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ConditionalChart1.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

> I've been searching this board to find an answer and all the post (so far)
> are helpful but they don't quite get me to where I need to be.  That
> said...
>
> I have a 3d plain Jane bargraph.  The data is linked to cells, and I
> physically change the graph at the begining of every month( add to the
> data
> series).  When I add the new data the series points may change but the
> individual bars do change color.  Long story longer...How can I keep the
> series the same format (keep"defective equipment" for Feb - June blue)
> through out the graph no matter what changes are made.  I would assume
> this
> would be done through conditional formatting.  But how can this be applied
> the data label "defective equipment"

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
6/19/2006 9:51:29 PM
HEK and Jon,

Thank you for your replies.  Lert me apologize for my poor response time.
If I may, I will address each of your responses in this single reply.

HEK: additional information is as follows:

Due to complexity (non normalized - out of my control) the data that needs
to be charted is top complaints over months.  The best that I can explain
what the chart displays is a single category axis (Months), Series A (Months)
Series B (Root Cause with the total # of complaints) I guess its a series and
a sub-series if that makes sense.  Each time the graph is updated with new
monthly data the Root Cause data points have different (default) colors.  I
would like to see the same color for each like Root Cause across each month.
The audience wants to see this in a bar graph.  So if the Root Cause =
defective equipment I would like this bar to be yellow regarless of the
month.  I hope this made sense.  Again one problem lies in how the data is
prepared to get it into a graphed format.  I have two colums: column 1
contains the Months as well as the root causes.  The second column contains
the total count of each root cause.  The two columns are comprised of  data
coming from individual pivot tables for each month.  Convoluted I know, but
this is what I have to work with (for now untill I can change some things)

Jon:

The use of the 3d chart was what they liked.  A bar char was the best
representation for the data (in my opinion) 2d/3d I don't think will matter
3d just looks nicer.  I have been going to your site prior to me posting this
question.  It has been a great resource for me.  As far as the conditional
formatting goes. You provide ways to format based on the actual data point.
I'm looking for some way to set the format based on the data label.

Again, thanks to the both of you.

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> Two comments:
>
> 1. Generally it's better to use 2D charts, as 3D charting effects can
> distort what you're trying to show. (Unless of course that's your
> intention.)
>
> 2. For conditional charting, check out this page:
>
>   http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ConditionalChart1.html
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com
> _______
>

> "David" <David@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've been searching this board to find an answer and all the post (so far)
> > are helpful but they don't quite get me to where I need to be.  That
> > said...
> >
> > I have a 3d plain Jane bargraph.  The data is linked to cells, and I
> > physically change the graph at the begining of every month( add to the
> > data
> > series).  When I add the new data the series points may change but the
> > individual bars do change color.  Long story longer...How can I keep the
> > series the same format (keep"defective equipment" for Feb - June blue)
> > through out the graph no matter what changes are made.  I would assume
> > this
> > would be done through conditional formatting.  But how can this be applied
> > the data label "defective equipment"

0
David4882 (672)

File formats
I have a question concerning file formats. As a small business manager using personal computers in the workplace is essential. Over the course of any fiscal year documents are generated and files produced which are important for maintaining from year to year. Often these important files are generated in Microsoft Word and Excel in my work. I recently referred to one such file that was 5 years old to see the frightening words: “File Error: data may have been lost.” My question related to which file formats are best for file retention. I am not interested in paying a com...

Copy Paste Conditional Formatting
I have used conditional formatting to identify certian parameters. I must now copy that column to another spreadsheet but do not want to lose that highlighted data. I have tried Copy Paste Special but I can only copy the Values. Is there any way to copy those cells and the colors? If you do a copy/paste special/formats, you'll get the conditional formats (and other formats) into the destination cells, without changing the values already in those cells. -- Jim "Bud Hughes" <BudHughes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CAA3085A-642D-4645-ADC5-24FF967...

Conditional formatting on book shared
Hi, I know when a book is shared, conditional formatting is unavailable but is there any way to get (or see) the conditions of this cell ? thanks in advance loparqu -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Can you copy the cell and paste into a new workbook's worksheet and look at the CF there? "loparque <" wrote: > > Hi, > I know when a book is shared, conditional formatting is unavailable, > but is there any way to get (or see) the conditions of this cell ? > > thanks in advance > > loparque > > --- > Message posted from ...

Help With the Customer Mailing Labels
Hi guys, For some reason the predefined Customer Mailing Labels report that comes with the system does not work for me. In Manager, I go to Utilities > Crystal Reports. I select my report and I choose the sort field (or none) and choose a criterion (or none) and click on generate. The application stops responding for a while and then I get the "Cannot Open SQL Server" error. Same thing happens for all the other predefined Crystal Reports. I have tried this on other machines as well, and got the same error. The rest of the RMS apps run without a problem, so I know the SQL...

Is it possible

Format so first column always appears
I have a wide worksheet and want the first column to always appear as I scroll to the other columns. I would look it up but I can't figure out where to look and under what title. Thanks It's referred to as Freeze Panes. Position your cursor in B1 then click on View | Freeze Panes | Freeze Panes (Excel 2007 or later), or Window | Freeze Panes (Excel 2003 or earlier). Hope this helps. Pete On Aug 20, 1:26=A0am, Gianni <gia...@gianni.com> wrote: > I have a wide worksheet and want > the first column to always appear > as I scroll to the other columns. > > I would...

Personal Folders in OWA

Data Validation dropdown list
Hello, I am using excel 2007 and am creating a drop down list by selecting "Data Validation" and entering a column I have with different names in it that are repeated over again in no particular order. I need the list to only contain each name once to select from though. Is there any easy way to do this? Thanks, Ben Copy the column of names to another sheet. Advance Filter out duplicates. Name the range of unique items. Use that range name as source in DV list on original sheet. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 02 Mar 2010 13:37:03 -0500, Ben <abc@ef...

Macro / Autofilter / Show All Data
Hi, I wrote in the macro ActiveSheet.ShowAllData but if no filtering is set, I get error message. Is it possible to say something like If 'filtered...' Thanks and regards, Cousin Excel The easiest way will be by adding: On Error resume Next as the first command of the macro. Micky "CousinExcel" wrote: > Hi, > > I wrote in the macro > ActiveSheet.ShowAllData > but if no filtering is set, I get error message. > Is it possible to say something like > I...

Date Format for Userform TextBox
Hi I run Excel 2K I have a userform that uses a textbox fot entering a date: When I enter a date in my spreadsheet I type (for example) 2/3 an this returns 2/Mar/2009 However when I type 2/3 in the textbox in the userform it returs 3/Feb/2009 So, the textbox interprets the 2 as the month and the 3 as the date. This is unlike entering it directly into the spreadsheet which interprets the 2 and the date and 3 as the month. I would like the textbox to operate like the spreadsheet where it interprets the 2 as the date and the 3 as the month. This is the code I am presently using:- Pri...

Custom Number Format #6
I created a custom number format #,##0,_);(#,##0,) that rounds number to thousands but it also shows 0 as blank. I need a format that als shows "0" as "0". Thanks for your help -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi try #,##0,_);(#,##0,);0 >-----Original Message----- >I created a custom number format #,##0,_);(#,##0,) that rounds numbers >to thousands but it also shows 0 as blank. I need a format that also >shows "0" as "0". > >Thanks for your help. > > >--- >Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/...

Help
Greetings All, I'm having a problem creating the type of bar chart for a time line This 'LINK (http://www.mississippi.net/~comcents/tendertale.com/tttl/tttl.html will give you several examples of what I'm talking about. If anyone can help me, I would really appreciate it. I'm currently using Excel 2000. Thanks, Bo -- w5bl ----------------------------------------------------------------------- w5blt's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1620 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27625 Hi, The type of...

Charts & Hidden Data
Hi, If I hide the row/columns containing the source data of a chart the respective series disappears from the chart. Is there any way to hide chart source data without affecting the chart? Many thanks, Jason In XL2003 (and before) with chart selected: Tools | Options |Chart and uncheck the box "Plot visible cells only" In XL 2007: Follow this path: click the chart; use Chart Tools|Design|Selected Data; look for button labelled "Hidden and Empty Cells"; complete dialog box as needed. best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from ema...

Conditional Formatting
All: I have a sheet with conditional formatting applied, the conditions work but once I save and come back, when the specific conditional format is triggered, it looks like nothing happened. When you scroll up/down or switch between tabs and then come back, that's when the conditional formatting is visible. Working in Excel 2007 and it's important for users to see the formatting happening in view, and not having to scroll back and forth to see the changes. Any thoughts why this is happening? Thank you. ...

listing cells that have external data link
I bet this has been asked before... Is there a way or a tool to list all cells that are linked to external data sources? Using Excel 2002 Rex Maybe you could use the builtin edit|Find. Search for .xls (or [ or ] Then click the find all button. You'll see a list of all those cells that contain that value--and if you're not using them as plain old text, you should see a list of links. T-Rex wrote: > > I bet this has been asked before... Is there a way or a tool to list all > cells that are linked to external data sources? > Using Excel 2002 > Rex -- Dave Peter...

Address format
Is it possible to save email addresses in the format? "Firstname Surname" securemail@domain.com This is required for a gateway certificate server. Microsoft <peter@4dt.co.za> wrote: > Is it possible to save email addresses in the format? > > "Firstname Surname" securemail@domain.com > > This is required for a gateway certificate server. Save them where? -- Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] ...

Finding the end of Data
I have a data set that has a sorted column filled with either numbers or "#N/A" (which are all found above the numbers) I want to select the rows that have "#N/A" in them. How to I find the last row, please? Jim Berglund Maybe it's not important to find the last row. If you don't have any other errors in that column and these errors are constants (not formulas), you could do the equivalent of: Selecting the column Then hit F5 (edit|goto)|special|constants|and select only errors In code, it would look like: Option Explicit Sub testme() ...

I need an excel plug in to save workbooks in adobe acrobat format
I used to have this feature on the toolbar, but following a severe recent excel and outlook crash, it got wiped off !! There seems to be no way to restore this essential facility, of choosing to save excel workbooks in a pdf format instead of xls. DOes anyone know how to restore it? Hi Chris, Try-File, Print, then select Acrobat Distiller. It will then ask you where you want the .pdf file to be saved. Thats how it works on mine. Hope that helps "chris brown" wrote: > I used to have this feature on the toolbar, but following a severe recent > excel and outlook crash,...

Data Consolidation
Hi Team, Any idea about the Data consolidation in excel . I have multiple excel sheets and want to consolidate it without losing the data. other than RDB data merge . Thank you, Shivaprasad hi Shivaprasad, If those files have all the same schema, you can do it with a VBA macro using mso. -- isabelle Le 2011-10-20 21:47, shivaprasad . shetty a �crit : > Hi Team, > > Any idea about the Data consolidation in excel . I have multiple excel > sheets and want to consolidate it without losing the data. other than > RDB data merge . > > Thank you, > Shivaprasad ...

Export Access Data Project Queries to old Access .mdb file
I want to copy Access Data Project queries from a project into a new .mdb file. What is the best way to do this? In the new .mdb go to the menu bar, click file, Get external data, and Import. Select the orignal .mdb file and then the items. >-----Original Message----- >I want to copy Access Data Project queries from a project into a new .mdb >file. What is the best way to do this? >. > ...

Custom 0\.00 Format with Comma
I have a workbook where numbers are entered as whole numbers (includes cents but no decimal point) on one worksheet. These numbers are pulled into another worksheet and I need the numbers to have decimal points before the last two numbers. From another post, I found out I can do this by formatting these cells as Custom = 0\.00 . Is there a way to have the comma appear before the thousands? No. When you ask Excel to insert commas into a number, it will do so in groups of three before the decimal point. However, Excel thinks your decimal point is after the cent, not after ...