Increaseing Precision in polynomial trendline equations

How can I increase the precision in Excel's "Display Equation" option
for trendlines?

I am trying to fit a polynomial regression (trendline) to a X, Y
scatterplot I have created.

Excel's built-in trendline function shows a good fit (R2=0.9999) for a
6th order polynomial, however, If I re-plot the data using the
coefficients from the "Display equation" option, the data diverge
significantly.

Apparently, for high order polynomials, you need to have a high level
of precision in your coefficients (many decimal places accurate) in
order to actually re-plot the same curve.

I also tried using the "linest" function as described in Mr. Liengme's
website (http://www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/ExcelTips/Polynomial.htm),
however, I can't seem to make this work properly. I can make it
calculate, but the values don't match data.

Any help with this problem would be appreciated.

Thanks
Kevin

PS Here is the equation that Excel displays on my chart;

y = 4E-09x6 - 9E-07x5 + 8E-05x4 - 0.0038x3 + 0.0996x2 - 1.5179x +
45.146

I am using Excel 2004 for Mac (OSX) Ver11.2

--
KevinW
KevinW's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30019

For a 6th order polynomial:
select a block 7 columns wide, 5 rows deep
enter =LINEST(y-range, x-range^{1,2,3,4,5,6},TRUE,TRUE)
press SHIFT+CTRL+ENTER (hold Shift down, hold CTRL down and the tap the
ENTER key)
the top line will display your coefficients

by the way: do you have a good reason for fitting to a 6th order?
how many data points?

happy new year

--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"KevinW" <KevinW.20vwqy_1135998902.2336@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in
message news:KevinW.20vwqy_1135998902.2336@excelforum-nospam.com...

> How can I increase the precision in Excel's "Display Equation" option
> for trendlines?
>
> I am trying to fit a polynomial regression (trendline) to a X, Y
> scatterplot I have created.
>
> Excel's built-in trendline function shows a good fit (R2=0.9999) for a
> 6th order polynomial, however, If I re-plot the data using the
> coefficients from the "Display equation" option, the data diverge
> significantly.
>
> Apparently, for high order polynomials, you need to have a high level
> of precision in your coefficients (many decimal places accurate) in
> order to actually re-plot the same curve.
>
> I also tried using the "linest" function as described in Mr. Liengme's
> website (http://www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/ExcelTips/Polynomial.htm),
> however, I can't seem to make this work properly. I can make it
> calculate, but the values don't match data.
>
> Any help with this problem would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Kevin
>
> PS Here is the equation that Excel displays on my chart;
>
> y = 4E-09x6 - 9E-07x5 + 8E-05x4 - 0.0038x3 + 0.0996x2 - 1.5179x +
> 45.146
>
> I am using Excel 2004 for Mac (OSX) Ver11.2
>

> --
> KevinW
> KevinW's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30019
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=497104

0
bliengme5824 (3040)
12/31/2005 2:26:48 PM
Dr Liegme;

Thanks for your quick reply.

I had previously extended the example from your website from a 3r
order poly to a 6th order, no problem. At least it returned values fo
all for all the cells. Unfortunately, the coefficients don't mak
sense. When I try to re-create the curve using those values, the curv
does not match.

I would expect that the results be fairly similar to that shown b
Excel in the "display equation" option, however they are obviousl
different.

I've tried to re-create your 3rd order polynomial example exactly a
you have displayed it on your webpage, but without success. Instead o
the coefficients,

{2,3,-6,8}

I get;

{2.16667, 2, 148.8333, -152.333}.

Clearly, I am having the same issue with the higher order polynomials
As far as I can tell, I am recreating your example and the LINES
function exactly as you have shown and I can't explain the differenc
between your results and mine. I will go back and try to trouble-shoo
the 3rd order poly example to get your results. Any insight you hav
would again be appreciated.

Thanks
Kevin

PS. I am using a 6th order polynomial to describe a curve that I hav
digitized. I have ~1000 x-y data points. I would like to have th
equation so that I can input a given x value (in my case stress) an
return a given y value (in my case, the Larson-Miller Parameter).
don't plan to extrapolate as I understand that high order polynomial
tend to rapidly diverge. Indeed, when I use excel's trendline functio
to extend the chart, it is okay on one end of the curve, but 'curl
over' on the other end

--
Kevin
KevinW's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3001
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=49710

I tried to re-create the example at;

http://www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/ExcelTips/Polynomial.htm

Here is the equation I used (using the 'array enter' crtl-shft-rtrn);

=LINEST(B2:B5,A2:A5^{1,2,3},TRUE,TRUE)

and here is the matrix result;

x3 		            x2		 x                    b
2.166666667	2		148.8333333	-152.3333333
0		           0		0	            	0
1		           0		N/A		           N/A
0		           0		N/A		           N/A
14105		     0		N/A		           N/A

Excel's automatic trendline seems to work fine, correctly identifying
the equation as y = 2x^3 + 3x^2 - 6x + 8

I can't figure out why it won't work correctly. Am I missing something
simple? Do I need to change a preference setting I don't know about?

Thanks
Kevin

--
KevinW
KevinW's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30019
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=497104

On the Windows side, versions of XL before 2003 had a variety of
problems with LINEST (not that 2003 is guaranteed to be error proof
{grin}).  Maybe, XL2004 hasn't caught up with XL2003?  Of course, it is
possible you are doing something wrong though I cannot of think of
what.

To get the results of a chart's trendline result into a Excel worksheet
see my enhancements of Dave Braden's code at
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.excel.charting/msg/0eda
30f29434786d?hl=en&

--
Regards,

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article <KevinW.20xgay_1136070901.7075@excelforum-nospam.com>,
KevinW.20xgay_1136070901.7075@excelforum-nospam.com says...

> I tried to re-create the example at;
>
> http://www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/ExcelTips/Polynomial.htm
>
> Here is the equation I used (using the 'array enter' crtl-shft-rtrn);
>
> =LINEST(B2:B5,A2:A5^{1,2,3},TRUE,TRUE)
>
> and here is the matrix result;
>
> x3 		            x2		 x                    b
> 2.166666667	2		148.8333333	-152.3333333
> 0		           0		0	            	0
> 1		           0		N/A		           N/A
> 0		           0		N/A		           N/A
> 14105		     0		N/A		           N/A
>

> Excel's automatic trendline seems to work fine, correctly identifying
> the equation as y = 2x^3 + 3x^2 - 6x + 8
>
> I can't figure out why it won't work correctly. Am I missing something
> simple? Do I need to change a preference setting I don't know about?
>
> Thanks
> Kevin
>

> --
> KevinW
> KevinW's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30019
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=497104

Right click on the displayed trendline equation and format as scientific
notation with 14 decimal places.

Often fitting a polynomial with this high a degree is overfitting the
data.  Even if the polynomial degree is theoretically justified, fitting
it will often be an extremely difficult numerical problem, well beyond
the capabilities of pre-2003 LINEST.  If you provide your data (inline
text, not attachments in newsgroups. please), I could provide more
information.

Jerry

KevinW wrote:

> How can I increase the precision in Excel's "Display Equation" option
> for trendlines?
>
> I am trying to fit a polynomial regression (trendline) to a X, Y
> scatterplot I have created.
>
> Excel's built-in trendline function shows a good fit (R2=0.9999) for a
> 6th order polynomial, however, If I re-plot the data using the
> coefficients from the "Display equation" option, the data diverge
> significantly.
>
> Apparently, for high order polynomials, you need to have a high level
> of precision in your coefficients (many decimal places accurate) in
> order to actually re-plot the same curve.
>
> I also tried using the "linest" function as described in Mr. Liengme's
> website (http://www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/ExcelTips/Polynomial.htm),
> however, I can't seem to make this work properly. I can make it
> calculate, but the values don't match data.
>
> Any help with this problem would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Kevin
>
> PS Here is the equation that Excel displays on my chart;
>
> y = 4E-09x6 - 9E-07x5 + 8E-05x4 - 0.0038x3 + 0.0996x2 - 1.5179x +
> 45.146
>
> I am using Excel 2004 for Mac (OSX) Ver11.2

0
post_a_reply (1395)
1/2/2006 12:48:59 PM
First off, thanks to Bernard, Tushar & Jerry for their helpful comments
and suggestions. I learned alot about a useful function (LINEST) and
regression curve fitting in general, something I hadn't expected when I
posted my question.

Jerry W. Lewis Wrote:
> Right click on the displayed trendline equation and format as
> scientific
> notation with 14 decimal places.

It worked, and that was exactly what I had been trying to do
originally. With more (numeric)precision, my re-ploted data matched my
original line exactly.

I find that sometimes Excel is 'fussy' about whether a text box is
already selected when you open a formatting menu - sometimes it only
shows the "Font"  menu and not the "Colors &
Lines/Font/Number/Alignment" menu depending on exactly what you have
selected. Once I figured that out, I was able to increase the displayed
precisions as I needed.

One general observation (which might be old news to some)- whenever I
work with trendlines and curve fitting, I find that Excel does not
always properly 'refresh' the trendline equation on the chart. If I
switch curves (exponential to log etc) or change the order of the
polynomial, the equation doesn't change, or shows something different
than If I plot an entirely new trendline with the same fitting
equation.

This was the case when I tried your (Jerry's) suggestion as well. I
increased the precision on the equation I had showing in Excel, and
plotted it, but the data diverged again. When I set a new trendline and
compared the equations, the coefficient of the 4th term was completely
different, and the new equation worked properly.

I'd still like to be able to use the LINEST function sometimes in the
future, but until I can figure out my issue with replicating Bernard's
example,
(<http://www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/ExcelTips/Polynomial.htm>)
I'll have to be cautious. I will be back at my office this week, and
will try the example on my Windows computer and report back on any
results. For simplicity's sake, I hope the problem was between the
keyboard and the chair.

Thanks again
Kevin

> Often fitting a polynomial with this high a degree is overfitting the
> data.  Even if the polynomial degree is theoretically justified,
> fitting
> it will often be an extremely difficult numerical problem, well beyond
> the capabilities of pre-2003 LINEST.  If you provide your data (inline
> text, not attachments in newsgroups. please), I could provide more
> information.
>
> Jerry
>
> KevinW wrote:
>
> > How can I increase the precision in Excel's "Display Equation"
> option
> > for trendlines?
> >
> > I am trying to fit a polynomial regression (trendline) to a X, Y
> > scatterplot I have created......

Just to be clear, I am -not- trying to find the 'best fit' for a plot
of scattered data. Rather, I am trying to find an equation to describe
an existing line. I scanned and digitized a Larson-Miller curve I will
be using extensively for my thesis. The data points are very close
together. I'd like to be able to enter a value and return the
corresponding value from the curve. As long as the answer is the same
as the original curve, then I'm happy with the equation for the line.

Digitizing and inputing the curve into Excel is probably more accurate
than trying to manually read values over and over from a hardcopy
plot.

Here is an example of my data;

Row  X         Y
1) 30.07	62.08
2) 30.08	62.08
3) 30.09	62.08
4) 30.09	61.96
5) 30.10	61.96
6) 30.11	61.83
7) 30.12	61.83
8) 30.13	61.71
...(snip 1000 data points)....
1047) 38.81	  6.25
1048) 38.82	  6.25
1049) 38.83	  6.24

I may want to know what the 'X' is for Y=61. Since my digitizer didn't
input a number for exactly 61, I would have to interpolate, maybe using
some sort of look up table etc or just use something close. Either way
it would be slow and semi-manual. However, Since I have *alot* of data,
the polynomial equation equation fits the line well (at least within the
accuracy of the scan etc). I can get my X for any Y I select (but bound
by {30.07,62.08} and {38.83,6.24} i.e. no extrapolating).

I hope that makes sense - if you like I could still post the data,
however there is alot of it.

--
KevinW
KevinW's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30019
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=497104

The progression of X's is not clear.  For 30.07 to 38.83 by 0.01, there
are only 877 points, yet you indicate that you have 1049 points.

Fitting a 6th degree polynomial to this narrow a range of x-values is a
very difficult numerical problem.  Assuming the obvious 877 points, the
condition number for X'X is ~ 6.8E+32.  For pre-2003 LINEST to give
meaningful coefficients for anything higher than a cubic would be a
numerical accident.

The chart polynomial trendline is numerically better than LINEST, and
has the potential to give reasonable results here.  You might also try
R, the free open-source implementation of the S statistical programming
language
    http://www.r-project.org
LINEST in Excel 2003 or later may also give reasonable results.

Since you seem to be more interested in interpolation than the actual
coefficient values, you may be OK.  Prediction within this range should
be much more numerically stable than the coefficient estimates themselves.

Jerry

KevinW wrote:

> Just to be clear, I am -not- trying to find the 'best fit' for a plot
> of scattered data. Rather, I am trying to find an equation to describe
> an existing line. I scanned and digitized a Larson-Miller curve I will
> be using extensively for my thesis. The data points are very close
> together. I'd like to be able to enter a value and return the
> corresponding value from the curve. As long as the answer is the same
> as the original curve, then I'm happy with the equation for the line.
>
> Digitizing and inputing the curve into Excel is probably more accurate
> than trying to manually read values over and over from a hardcopy
> plot.
>
> Here is an example of my data;
>
> Row  X         Y
> 1) 30.07	62.08
> 2) 30.08	62.08
> 3) 30.09	62.08
> 4) 30.09	61.96
> 5) 30.10	61.96
> 6) 30.11	61.83
> 7) 30.12	61.83
> 8) 30.13	61.71
> ..(snip 1000 data points)....
> 1047) 38.81	  6.25
> 1048) 38.82	  6.25
> 1049) 38.83	  6.24

0
post_a_reply (1395)
1/3/2006 1:38:07 PM
"KevinW" wrote:

> Just to be clear, I am -not- trying to find the 'best fit' for a plot
> of scattered data. Rather, I am trying to find an equation to describe
> an existing line. I scanned and digitized a Larson-Miller curve I will
> be using extensively for my thesis. The data points are very close
> together. I'd like to be able to enter a value and return the
> corresponding value from the curve. As long as the answer is the same
> as the original curve, then I'm happy with the equation for the line.

Jon Peltier (a PhD metalurgist) might be able to add more, but what I have
seen of Larson-Miller curves (based on a Google search) they are smooth
monotonic curves that may not be fit well by a single low-order polynomial
over the entire range.

You might do better with local interpolation.  y = (a+b*x)/(1+c*x) is a
simple function that you can fit with 3 observations for local monotonic
interpolation.  Linear interpolation (c=0) is a special case.

To fit the function, you would need 3 points bracketing your desired point,
all having distinct x-values and distinct y-values.  Given the discreteness
of your observations, I would tend to use the median x-value for a given
y-value, ...  You might compare or even average the results from 3 points
with 2 of them to the left of the desired point and 3 poitns with 2 of them
to the right of the desired point.

Jerry
As Previously mentioned in this thread, I was having difficulty with the
LINEST function in Excel 2004 for Mac (OSX) Ver11.2

I couldn't get it to return the coefficients for even a simple
quadratic equation, let alone the 6th order polynomial I was using to
describe my line.

After opening my file at my office, I was able to get LINEST to perform
correctly for my 6th order polynomial as well as reproduce the example
at http://www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/ExcelTips/Polynomial.htm no
problem.

At work I am running Excel 2002 on Windows XP.

Since I didn't make any mods to my spreadsheet from my home computer,
I'd have to say that LINEST doesn't work for Excel 2004 for Mac.

Thanks
Kevin

P.S. With regards to Jerry�s suggestion on fitting multiple curves etc-
I could probably increase the accuracy of reproducing the best fit line
that I digitize, however the underlying scatter in the raw data that
curve was created from is huge. The Excel polynomial fit is good enough
for my needs.  Generally, the Larson Miller Parameter is reported with
zero decimal places (ie for a given design stress the corresponding
LMP=29 or 30).

--
KevinW
KevinW's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30019
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=497104

Increase size of pie chart within control?
Is there a way to increase the size of a pie chart within its control? I have a limited amount of space in which to display the chart, so the overall size of the control is restricted. But within it there's quite a lot of "wasted" white space and I would like to make the pie itself larger and more legible. Can do, or not? Many thanks CW In design mode, double-click on the chart within the control to select it for editing. Then use the sizing handles to resize the chart area to the size of the control; this does not have to be square. Click on the plot area to select it ...

Drivers for percentage increase
I am trying to set up a driver to include in my budget profile so that my managers can select the percentage from a driver and see on each budget line what the outcome will be i.e staff costs may be calculated at 150,000 but if I used my driver to calculate an increase of 3.5% that would change the staff costs to 155,250. Can anyone help? Regards Jo I am not sure what you question is but this may help:- In cell A 2 I have 150,000 In cell B 2 I have 3.5% In cell C 2 I have:- =(A2*B2)+A2 - and this returns 155,250 to cell C 2. If my comments have helped please h...

trendline equation does not display correctly
I am using Excel 2007. When I change the order of the trendline from 2 to 3, the cubic term does not appear. If I rasie the order to 4 there is still no cubic term. Only when I raise the order to 5 does the cubic term appear. I suspect that the higher order terms are not displaying. Any ideas as to why this is happening? I have sent the file to people who are using Excel 2003 and they have no problem getting the trendline equation to display correctly. Rick - Please provide a (small) data set so that this problem can be replicated. When I have a set of XY points that are approximat...

Is there an equation in Excel to use multiple if then statements?
Please post your question in the body of your message, not just in the heading. Some systems cannot cope with "empty" messages. Look in HELP for AND and OR, or post more details of what kind or multiple if statement you need. -- Kind regards, Niek Otten "Cody5" <Cody5@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E9F7AF01-ABDB-4AD3-8C54-4D1766F3E633@microsoft.com... > what do you mean by "multiple if then statements"? You can nest them: =IF(condition1, true1, IF(condition2, true2, false2)) you can have multiple if's sequential...

to increase quantity
hello everybody, i have a question: i want to use project to calculate the delivery time of a machine component. I know the bill of material and the time of every step (manufacturing, mounting, etc.). I don't have problem to create a gantt for this item: but i have problem when i want to create a gantt for a number greater than one of my item. I think that i have to use a function that increase the duration of each step of the process, but i don't know how. Please help me. thank you -- sentenza ------------------------------------------------------------------------ s...

Trendlines #6
When describing a trendline for a polynomial, the curve seems to have good agreement with the original data, however the displayed equation does not fit this fitted curve. There is no agreement with the equation and the trendfit line. Has anyone else observed this. The equation displayed on a chart is heavily rounded. Right click on the equation and format for scientific notation with 14 decimal places. Another common problem is fitting a trend on a "Line" chart instead of an "XY (Scatter)" chart. "Line" chart is an extremely misleading name. It ha...

Date Increase
I currently have a form for entering current passwords for systems. I have a field to enter the date the password was last changed, and another field for the date the password expires, which is every 30 days. Is there anyway i can set the date password expires field to update automatically? The 2nd field is just calculated from the 1st and better left as a calculation in a query rather than a field in a table. There are no triggers at the table level in Access. Dan Wood wrote: >I currently have a form for entering current passwords for systems. I have a >field to enter...

calculate polynomial in MFC
Is there an api for polynomials in MFC or perhaps in CRT? The only thing I could find was three prototypes in xmath.h but this seems to be an internal header file. Describe the problem a little better. joe On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 22:03:57 -0700, "theman" <noway@jose.com> wrote: >Is there an api for polynomials in MFC or perhaps in CRT? >The only thing I could find was three prototypes in xmath.h but this seems >to be an internal header file. > Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP] email: newcomer@flounder.com Web: http://www.flounder.com MVP Tips: http://www.flounder.com/mv...

Hyperbolic Trendline
Is it possible to create a hyperbolic best fit line, rather than using only the options for type of trendline that excel has? If so, how would I do it? Hi Ed, You can use the 'Solver' Add-in in Excel to fit any user-defined function to {x,y} data. If the add-in is not already installed, go to 'Tools' --> 'Add-ins' --> select 'Solver Add-in'; Excel might require the Excel or Office CD for installing the add-in. Once installed, the add-in can be accessed by clicking 'Tools'. Let's say you have your xdata and ydata in columns ...

can I increase excel column numbers to more than 256?
I am trying to analyse tables including more than 256 variables. I cannot transpose them into rows because the program i am using in association with excel (xlstat) takes the columns as the variables. Is there a way to increase the number of the columns?? or is it a fixed specification of the excel worksheet? thank for any help! Yes, it is fixed - you cannot increase the number of columns. You can, of course, split your data up into chunks of 250 columns - the first block of data on row 1, for example, then the next set starting on another row etc. Pete ...

Increasing alphabectically
Windows XP and Excel 2003 The first time through the program should read: With Active Sheet .First = Sheets("Rates").Range("B2") .Second = Sheets("Rates").Range("B3:B186") End With The next time through the Ranges should read "C2" and "C3:C186" Then next time "D2" and "D3:D186" and so on until it reaches "X2"and "X3:X186" Can someone suggest a good way to do this. Please. You could use index values rather than th...

Trendline R square
Hi every body, Can you please help me with this confusing issue? My data is preseted in a scatter plot and the trendline is shown in the figure. The R square value from the trendline option is not the same as the one I got from the Data analysis option from the tools menu (This is an Add-in option). To be sepecific the trend line gave an R square= 0.5465 where the data analysis gave an R square=0.9804509. Thanks in advance for your help..... -- balmalik ------------------------------------------------------------------------ balmalik's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?...

Increasing Months
Hi Here is a simple question and I cannot find the answer. On a report I have a text box [Text301] and when display I see Fev-07 I would like to add something like 35 other text box so month would increase by 1 What could be the formula for [Text302] to display Mar-07 or Mar 2007. The formula should be issued from [Text301] Then [Text303] related to [Text302], [Text304] related to [Text303], ....... So the day I change [Text301] for let say Apr-08 [Text302] would give me May-08 [Text303} would be Jun-08, etc... I dont realy care with the format; it can be Mar 08 or Mar-08 or Mar-2...

Using CSocket with CSocketFile Increases memory usage
Hello All, I am using CSocket derived class with CSocketFile. After I run the application for 6 hours the memory increases in Task Manager by 30000K. The messages sent per second is 30.Has anybody seen such a issue. Regards Partha No, but there are so many problems with CSocket and CSocketFile that it is probably a Really Bad Idea to have used them at all, for any purpose. It sounds like you are not successfully closing some resource. But you would be a lot better off getting rid of them entirely. CSocket is known to be buggy, for example. joe On Sun, 6 Apr 2008 17:30:47 -0700 (PDT),...

Increasing field size in detail inquiry
I would like to increase the size of one of the fields in the account area of detail inquiry. Right now the W in account number W-123-4567-33-us looks like a V. Any help is appreciated. Thanks. -- Dave Christman System Developer Dave, You might have done this already but maybe not. Did you go to the Account Format Setup window and for your first account segment change the Display Width from "standard" to "Expansion 3"? That should do the trick for you. patrick developer support -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no righ...

increasing arguments
I'm performing a simple addition calculation for material that is neste within other data, therefore i am unable to simpley sum the entir column........ Currently its telling me i have too many arguments......... =SUM(N146,N142,N138,N134,N130,N126,N122,N118,N114,N110,N106,N102,N98,N94,N90,N86,N82,N78,N74,N70,N66,N62,N58,N54,N50,N46,N42,N38,N34,N30,N26,N22) that is a total of 32 cells notated.......how can i increase th argument level from 30 to 32 or 33 ? Your assistance is greatl appreciated ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.c...

Trendline in chart
I was trying to form a trend line in a chart with following input data in Excel 2000: Y X 1.128 -20 1.128 -15 1.128 -10 1.128 -6 1.111 -5 1.084 0 1.056 5 1.0276 10 1 15 0.971 20 0.944 25 0.9144 30 0.884 35 0.8524 40 0.82 45 0.788 50 After plotting the chart, I added trend line (Polynomial with order 6, set intercept = 0) along with its equation, which read as below: y = 6E-07x6 - 3E-05x5 + 0.0006x4 - 0.0057x3 + 0.0215x2 - 0.0318x + 1.1429 and R2 = 0.9998 ------ (Eq. 1) Though the trend line in the chart neatly fitted over the curve, however, when I used above equation and fed in same val...

Increasing font size in replies
What would cause font sizes to increase each time an email is replied to? For example A sends email to B B replys to A and so on. The first email is now a huge font, the reply a little smaller and so on until the current email reached where it is a normal size. An email printed should only take 4-5 pages now takes about 30! RD Does this happen when a message travels over a Notes connector? >-----Original Message----- >What would cause font sizes to increase each time an email is replied to? > > For example A sends email to B B replys to A and so on. The first email is >...

Quicker calculations -- storing huge equations or cutting and past
Good afternoon -- I built a workbook used to calculate medical fees and productivity. It's based on several reference lookups, and lots of internal calculations. For each item, there are three calculations, each of which consists of a formula 60-70 keystrokes long. When the user does this work, (s)he may do it for 100-200 items at a time. Right now, it can take 1-2 minutes to calculate the entire workbook so I leave calculation set to manual. My question -- I can either have all the equations located inside the cells, or create a little VB code to copy and paste them ...

Increase Potential
ACTING FOR THE NON ACTOR WITH AWARD WINNING ACTOR/WRITER/DIRECTOR/TEACHER MICHAEL COLE DINELLI www.gravitywavefilms.com Employ the tools of the Actor to enhance your communication creative skills in business, relationships, and everyday life. Learn the exercises and acting techniques the professionals use for their work in movies and stage. These classes are designed for the non-pro to be informative, great fun, and bring out the best in you weather you are a salesman, attorney, teacher, or just looking for something fun and therapeutic. Conquer your fear of public speaking and ...

Increase Report Options in Report Group Window
Currently under the Reports - Financial - Groups window there are only 32 reports in the Report Options box. We have more than 32 reports set up, we would like to see all of the reports in order to put them into a group. We only need to add 10-15 reports into the group, but we need to see all of the reports we have set up. We would utilize the Group Reporting option more if we were able to see all of our reports. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I A...

Increase Max Value of Spinner
The Maximum Value of the "Spinner" form is 30,000. Is there any way to increase it? I'd like to bump the maximum value up into the millions. You can use the spinner button from the control toolbox instead -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom Excel 95 - Excel 2007 Northwest Excel Solutions www.nwexcelsolutions.com "It is a good thing to follow the first law of holes; if you are in one stop digging." Lord Healey "Lon" <sobel@entertainmentlawreporter.com> wrote in message news:sdw0g.3416$oQ2.301@trnddc05... > The Maximum Value of the "Spinner"...

trendline coefficient accuracy
I am trying to establish the polynomial coefffiecients for a fuel consumtption curve for one of our ships. I have plotted the recorded consumption data from the ship and trended them with a 3rd power polynomial. the curve folllows the data well, however, the set of genertated coefficients, which when put back into the graph to generte test curve that in no way refelct the original tend line. and can't be used to forcatst the fuel budget. I must be doing something stupid. Thanks, Simon. On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 14:41:03 -0700, "Simon Y" <Simon Y@discussions.micros...

Percentage increase in excel
Hi, I have a column showing profit over one year and i would like to calculate the percentage increase each month. For example my columns might be as follows. Jan - �3000 Feb - �4500 Mar - �7000 Apr - �9000 etc. So i need to calculate the percentage increase from Jan to Feb and so on. Does anybody know the formula? Thanks -- fibregrid ------------------------------------------------------------------------ fibregrid's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=25707 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=401911 fibregri...

Increase of spam
Hello All, For quite a while I have managed to keep a lid on spam where that my peak of spam would be approximately 2 or 3 per day. There would be the rarity that I would receive 5 of them. Part of this is that I ensure to all my friends never to send me those "joke" e-mails where they automatically forward them to everyone that is in their address book into their "To:" box. This position has been for a number of years. You might can say that I am rather "authoritive" about this procedure. Putting all this aside, Microsoft Outlook 2007 has done a great...