Increase size of Legend Key in Pie Charts

Hi,

Does anyone know how to increase the size of legend keys (the colour blocks)
in charts (am presently working on pie charts...)???

I'd prefer not to increase the size of the font...

Thanks in advance :-)
0
mark564 (750)

Unfortunately, the size of the legend keys is tied to the font size.  You can
change the color, but there is not a way to change just the size of the
legend key.

"Mark" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know how to increase the size of legend keys (the colour blocks)
> in charts (am presently working on pie charts...)???
>
> I'd prefer not to increase the size of the font...
>
> Thanks in advance :-)
Thanks Office helper... what a bummer.

"Office Helper" wrote:

> Unfortunately, the size of the legend keys is tied to the font size.  You can
> change the color, but there is not a way to change just the size of the
> legend key.
>
> "Mark" wrote:
>

> > Hi,
> >
> > Does anyone know how to increase the size of legend keys (the colour blocks)
> > in charts (am presently working on pie charts...)???
> >
> > I'd prefer not to increase the size of the font...
> >
> > Thanks in advance :-)
0
mark564 (750)
8/2/2006 2:34:02 PM
On Wed, 2 Aug 2006, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
Mark <Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> said:
>Does anyone know how to increase the size of legend keys (the colour blocks)
>in charts (am presently working on pie charts...)???
>
>I'd prefer not to increase the size of the font...

Do you want the legend keys to look bigger compared to the labels, or
only compared to the pie? If the latter, consider shrinking the pie
chart itself. If the former, that's not an option in Excel,
unfortunately: the legend keys are automatically scaled to the font of
the largest legend label. You can try to decrease the visual impact of a
large font by choosing one that's thin and greying it down a bit, or you
can choose a font colour of "white" (thus making it invisible), then put
a dummy legend label as a text box next to the big key blocks.

Or, you can introduce a dummy data point with a value of zero, so it
doesn't show in the pie chart. Then give it no border and no pattern so
it doesn't show as a legend key. Finally, click on the legend label and
make *that label only* large, then give it a white font colour, so
neither legend key nor label is visible, but the others are.

You'd better turn the legend border off though, or there'll be an
obvious gap. Also, the labels will be bottom aligned, and you can't
centre align them. You can mitigate it by ticking the "superscript" box
in the font dialogue, though.

--
Del Cotter
del1907 (586)

Seems thats the only way... fudging it :)

"Del Cotter" wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Aug 2006, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
> Mark <Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> said:
> >Does anyone know how to increase the size of legend keys (the colour blocks)
> >in charts (am presently working on pie charts...)???
> >
> >I'd prefer not to increase the size of the font...
>
> Do you want the legend keys to look bigger compared to the labels, or
> only compared to the pie? If the latter, consider shrinking the pie
> chart itself. If the former, that's not an option in Excel,
> unfortunately: the legend keys are automatically scaled to the font of
> the largest legend label. You can try to decrease the visual impact of a
> large font by choosing one that's thin and greying it down a bit, or you
> can choose a font colour of "white" (thus making it invisible), then put
> a dummy legend label as a text box next to the big key blocks.
>
> Or, you can introduce a dummy data point with a value of zero, so it
> doesn't show in the pie chart. Then give it no border and no pattern so
> it doesn't show as a legend key. Finally, click on the legend label and
> make *that label only* large, then give it a white font colour, so
> neither legend key nor label is visible, but the others are.
>
> You'd better turn the legend border off though, or there'll be an
> obvious gap. Also, the labels will be bottom aligned, and you can't
> centre align them. You can mitigate it by ticking the "superscript" box
> in the font dialogue, though.
>
> --
> Del Cotter
> NB Personal replies to this post will send email to del@branta.demon.co.uk,
>     which goes to a spam folder-- please send your email to del3 instead.

0
mark564 (750)

Standard accelerator keys?
Is there a list of Standard accelerator key assignments? For example, I know F1 should be used for Help, and Ctrl+F6 moves to the next MDI window. I want to assign some accelerator keys to functions in my application but I do not want to assign any keys or key combinations that already have a standard action associated with them. If anyone knows of such a list, please let me know. Thanks ...

Screen sizes are not supporint my program
Hi all, I developed a program in Access, and now I am implementing it I got one PC with 15inch screen my forms are big for that monitor (all command buttons are not showing on the screen) but working good on 17 inch where I developed. Please advise solution which fits all size of screens. Thanks in advance ...

Multiple charts on one worksheet?
Hi, I've seen this subject posted before but could not work out my problem with the answers to those posts, so I'll start my own :) I wrote a VB program that invokes Excel and reads data into it (ADO), selects the appropriate range, then creates a chart on that worksheet. I then copy that chart to a new worksheet named "Charts" and then run through the process a number of times depending on the number of elements a user has asked for (stock symbols). It does this fine except it places the charts one on top of the other on the "Charts" sheet. I've tried using ...

Increase size of pie chart within control?
Is there a way to increase the size of a pie chart within its control? I have a limited amount of space in which to display the chart, so the overall size of the control is restricted. But within it there's quite a lot of "wasted" white space and I would like to make the pie itself larger and more legible. Can do, or not? Many thanks CW In design mode, double-click on the chart within the control to select it for editing. Then use the sizing handles to resize the chart area to the size of the control; this does not have to be square. Click on the plot area to select it ...

Font Size on Taskbar indicating From/Subject/Date
How can I increase the font size on all items displayed in and under this window? When I increase the font size in Windows, it increases the font on the items in the left hand navigation pane but not on the right side. Any suggestions? Right-Click on a blank area of the mail list and choose "customize current view". There will be a button for other settings that allows you to change size and font. -- ~jason k please reply in group. emails directly to me will be printed and laughed at in the breakroom "Ruthie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messa...

Limit the size of a users pst file
How can i limit the size of a users pst file. I want them to be able to burn it to CD Thanks in advance Karen I don't believe you can limit it. Karen wrote: > How can i limit the size of a users pst file. I want them > to be able to burn it to CD > > Thanks in advance > Karen Karen <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > How can i limit the size of a users pst file. I want them > to be able to burn it to CD Ask them to keep it below 600 Mb and if it's larger, to split it into multiple PSTs, each of which is below 600 Mb. -- Brian Tillman Smi...

Dynamic Charts #2
I know how to make Dynamic charts but how do you adjust the data serie automatically when new series data is added. For Example. Old Data chris 2 chris 5 sue 4 sue 3 New Data chris 2 chris 5 chris 6 sue 4 sue 3 When new data is added to the bottom the chart adjusts but how do yo get the series to adjust to the "chris" series which is in the middle? ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com Using the technique based on the OFFSET function...

Drivers for percentage increase
I am trying to set up a driver to include in my budget profile so that my managers can select the percentage from a driver and see on each budget line what the outcome will be i.e staff costs may be calculated at 150,000 but if I used my driver to calculate an increase of 3.5% that would change the staff costs to 155,250. Can anyone help? Regards Jo I am not sure what you question is but this may help:- In cell A 2 I have 150,000 In cell B 2 I have 3.5% In cell C 2 I have:- =(A2*B2)+A2 - and this returns 155,250 to cell C 2. If my comments have helped please h...

to increase quantity
hello everybody, i have a question: i want to use project to calculate the delivery time of a machine component. I know the bill of material and the time of every step (manufacturing, mounting, etc.). I don't have problem to create a gantt for this item: but i have problem when i want to create a gantt for a number greater than one of my item. I think that i have to use a function that increase the duration of each step of the process, but i don't know how. Please help me. thank you -- sentenza ------------------------------------------------------------------------ s...

Data file size so large
My wife has been using Publisher 2000. She makes a document for her nursery school. The document is only about 20 pages but the file grows to an enormous size (like way over 1 gigabyte) during the develpment process of making the document. It does have lots of pictues but they are typically 50 to 100K in size. To me it seems that the program is doing a terrible job of managing the file and maybe keeping old deleted stuff in it. Right now on a Pentium III/500 it takes forever to open and edit files. She has broken the document into four separate files but even those are so large that sh...

HELP: Lost my Product Key
Hello, I have Publisher 2002 but lost the product key. Is there anyway to retrieve it from another system on which Publisher was installed? Rich No, but you can call Microsoft and they will generate a new number for you. You'll apy for the long distance call but it only took about 10 minutes for me. "Rich S." <rstringer@provide.net> wrote in message news:e8yVIz3hDHA.1276@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Hello, > > I have Publisher 2002 but lost the product key. Is there anyway to retrieve > it from another system on which Publisher was installed? > > Ric...

Chart select!
Could anyone tell me how to write a macro that would simply select every chart on the page, and NOT pictures. Thanks! --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hi cdegar01, Does this line do what you want? Activesheet.chartobjects.select cdegar01 < wrote: > Could anyone tell me how to write a macro that would simply select every > chart on the page, and NOT pictures. Thanks! > > > --- > Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ > -- Cheers Andy ------ Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info ...

Prevent cells from re-sizing when using pivot drop down option
I know how to keep a chart from being re-sized when for instance i select the filter option from a Pivot table ( my chart uses data from the pivot) But when using the filter option in pivot tables often the column width changes for the new data. I want to know if and how to stop that from happening (like i can in chart fixing). any help truly appreciated. Val ...

Charts #37
Hi All, Can you please advise if we can create one chart with multiple pivot table of the same data. Thanks Niranjan ...

Organgigramm: Enlarge Paper size
I am working on a huge organigramm with about 800 persons on it. Now my paper is full and I should still add some several hundreds. How can I enlarge the paper without changing the sizes of my shapes? Thanks for your help. Katja You can go into page setup and change the Page size or hold down the Ctrl key and drag the edge of the paper to the size you want. John... Visio MVP Need stencils or ideas? http://www.mvps.org/visio/3rdparty.htm Need VBA examples? http://www.mvps.org/visio/VBA.htm Common Visio Questions http://www.mvps.org/visio/common_questions.htm "Katja" <K...

SIZE OF EXCEL SHEET
Dear all, I have an excel which is required a long time to open. When I press "Ctrl End", it goes to the rows 60000. But actually, it just has 100 rows with data. I tried to delete those unused rows & hope to make the excel file smaller. But I find that it always treats it with 60000 rows when I press "ctrl-end". Please advise how to make it smaller? Hi Nelson! See: Debra Dalgleish: http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#Unused Debra has manual and VBA approaches to re-setting the used range -- -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njhark...

Exchange not releasing mailbox size
I'll try to explain this as best as I can. I have Exchage 200, and I've implemented 100 MB limit on all users. With some users even though they are deleting stuff from the mailbox, their size just increases until it reaches 100 MB and they are blocked. But, on Outlook their showing lot less then 100 MB, so their actual size is not 100MB but lets say 50MB or 40MB. Any solution for this ? Are the users clearing their deleted items folder as well? -- Mark Fugatt Microsoft Limited This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "Drilon&q...

pasting charts into word or powerpoint
Sometimes my portrait sized charts "turn into" portrait format when I copy and paste from Excel to a Word doc or powerpoint presentation. I've tried paste special as picture and various other combinations, sometimes with success and sometimes now............... why or why does this occur, and more importantly - how can I get them to stop doing it! thx - trish ...

How to change order of drop lines relative to the plotted data in Excel 2007 chart
What is the procedure for changing the order of drop lines relative to the plotted data in an Excel 2007 chart? I would like the chart;s drop lines to remain active, but appear "sent to the back" behind the plotted data. I attempted to help myself by searching extensively, but I was unable to find the solution. I think it may require a VBA entry, but, if so, I will require assistance. Are the references below pointing me in the right direction? http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb210119.aspx http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb216878.aspx http://m...

Default picture frame size
I want to set a default picture frame size, but the "Apply settings to new objects" checkbox in the format picture option is greyed out On 27 Apr 2004 11:11, Rachel <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I want to set a default picture frame size, but the "Apply settings to >new objects" checkbox in the format picture option is greyed out You can't do that with picture frames. -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.mvps.org/publisher This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. So if I wan...

Boxplot and Whisker Chart
Hello, I use the chart wizard\custom chart\Line on 2 axes to draw boxplot and whisker chart with percentage on the left y axes and quality on the right y axes but it doesn't show right like the others chart. Anyone know how to draw the Line on 2 axes or Line-column on 2 axes for Boxplot and Whisker Chart? Thanks, ...

Word 2007 - Font Size Error
I was originally running Office 2003. I upgraded to Office 2007, but maintained a working copy of 2003 on my computer. Immediately after the upgrade, I noticed that documents that had been created in Word 2003 using a 'standard' font and margins would be resized, with the font appearing slightly larger and distorting pagination, etc. No changes were made to the document, other than opened in both Word 2003 and 2007. (Font is supposed to be Garamond 11, but it looks and prints more like Garamond 12.) I've uninstalled Office 2003 and re-installed Office 2007. All upd...

Variable size form for changes between laptop screens
Hi, I have developed alot of forms in my databse to perfectly fit the screen when I open them as maximized. Now I have 2 users that are going to move to widescreen laptops. That pushes the form to the left and it leaves the screen looking really funny. Is there a way to detect the width of the users screen and then use code to resize the form to fill the screen appropriately? I can see that once I detect the width, I would have to use a move command on every field on the screen. Is there a quick way to do that instead of having to specify every field individually? Thanks, Beth You ...

Date Increase
I currently have a form for entering current passwords for systems. I have a field to enter the date the password was last changed, and another field for the date the password expires, which is every 30 days. Is there anyway i can set the date password expires field to update automatically? The 2nd field is just calculated from the 1st and better left as a calculation in a query rather than a field in a table. There are no triggers at the table level in Access. Dan Wood wrote: >I currently have a form for entering current passwords for systems. I have a >field to enter...