Importing Data and Creating Charts from Spreadsheet

Greetings -

Sorry if the subject is not very explanitory, wasn't sure how to word it.
Basically my issue is I am trying to create some different charts from a
spreadsheet where there might be multiple rows for the same values that will
go on the X axis.  For example this spreadsheet might have the following

ABC Company   $500
BCD Company   $332
XYZ Company   $500
XYZ Company   $200

When that chart is created (company on x axis, amount on Y axis) it creates
4 different columns (one each for ABC Company and BCD Company and two for
XYZ Company).  What I would like it to do is to create only 3 different
columns (one each for the 3 companies).  So the value for XYZ Company would
be $700 instead of two different columns with one for $500 and one for $200.
Is there a way to get Excel to add those together automatically?

This spreadsheet is created by importing 2 seperate files (from different
programs) into a spreadsheet, and each text file might have values for the
same companies in them, which is why there could be duplicates.  There are
hundreds of companies in each file and each file might have some companies
that are not in the other file so not all will be duplicates.

If charting cannot do this automatically, does anyone know if there is a way
to add amounts together when importing a file.  I am meaning something like
this: the first file is imported and the data added, then when the second
file is imported it would check to see if that company already exists, and
if so it just adds the amounts to the current row instead of creating a new
row.

Thanks for any help,
Jeff

0
rasnickj (1)

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
Jeff Rasnick <rasnickj@nospamhotmail.com> said:
>Sorry if the subject is not very explanitory, wasn't sure how to word it.
>Basically my issue is I am trying to create some different charts from a
>spreadsheet where there might be multiple rows for the same values that will
>go on the X axis.  For example this spreadsheet might have the following
>
>ABC Company   $500
>BCD Company   $332
>XYZ Company   $500
>XYZ Company   $200

It's tricky, because what you'd like is to use the XY chart (Scatter
chart) type instead of a line chart, which as you've observed, treats
each row as a new category on the Category axis. You want the X axis to
be an interval scale, not a category scale.  The problem is that
intervals need numbers, not words, so to start with, you have to have
data that looks like this:

1   $500
2   $332
3   $500
3   $200

Now the chart will look right, but how do you ensure that the company
names have a matching number? I always use a separate lookup table, and
then the VLOOKUP() formula to determine the numbers.

Then, once you've used the numbers to make the scale, you have to put
the words back in to provide a labelled X axis. How? You can use the
Dummy series method as shown by Jon Peltier or Tushar Mehta:

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ArbitraryAxis.html
www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/newsgroups/flexible_log_scale/

This is a lot of trouble to go to, but the graph type you are trying to
design is often worth it. It's a type I design frequently.

--
Del Cotter
del1907 (586)

In article <#30FAEfgHHA.1388@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl>,
rasnickj@nospamhotmail.com says...

Tushar Mehta said:
>rasnickj@nospamhotmail.com says...
>> When that chart is created (company on x axis, amount on Y axis) it creates
>> 4 different columns (one each for ABC Company and BCD Company and two for
>> XYZ Company).  What I would like it to do is to create only 3 different
>> columns (one each for the 3 companies).  So the value for XYZ Company would
>> be $700 instead of two different columns with one for $500 and one for $200.
>> Is there a way to get Excel to add those together automatically?
>
>Create a PivotTable (and an associated PivotChart).  Put the company
>name as the row field and the $ amount as the data field.  Excel should
>automatically pick Sum of $ amount but if it doesn't make sure you
>change it appropriately.

Ah. I hadn't read properly. Yes, that's the way to produce a sum, and a
much simpler process than my answer, which won't produce a sum, but only
plots the two values together in one column instead. Although why the
original poster couldn't have put something about adding the results
actually in the title I don't know.

I stand by what I said about my technique leading to worthwhile charts
though :-)

--
Del Cotter
del1907 (586)

Transferring Data With XML?
I'm new at this. What would be the best way to transfer data in XML format from sql server A to remote sql server B? We would like to encrypt the data with ssl which we already have installed on our iis server. -- .. http://sf-f.org, weblog and search engine for fans and writers of speculative fiction. .. ...

Importing data

Importing messages #6

Import and export

Tool to Create High-Color Icons
Can anyone recommend a good tool for creating high-color icons for my projects. I have Corel Photo-Paint. It's pretty powerful but I can't do very good shading by hand. Aren't there some tools out there that will render 3D shading? Thanks for any suggestions. -- Jonathan Wood SoftCircuits Programming http://www.softcircuits.com I would recommend XaraX (www.xara.com). You can produce nice shaded stuff like on the page: http://www.terra-informatica.org/htmlayout/ You should save (export) you images as PNGs (with or without alpha channel) and use 2DIB.exe (http://www.terra-in...

transfer data in excel between sheets
What I am looking to do is get a function button (or similar) on sheet 1 that can recognise the data put in a column and upon a click of a button transfer data held in a certain cell elsewhere and the date onto sheet 2. If this is not possible, what the whole purpose I am trying to do is on sheet one have a=50 fields per day, where 3 figures are entered per line, 50 lines (ie 150 pieces of data per day) which calculates the average of the 3 numbers per row, and then the average of all these numbers appears in a seperate field on the spreadsheet (this I have already achieved.) Then this...

Load Data Under Column Headings
My data are stock prices that I want to use with Metastock. I have as column headers: Date, Stock Name, Open, High, Low, Close, Stock Code. How do I load stock data with their fields under the respective column headings, perhaps, by just clicking on the file name, without using cut & paste. How do I protect the heading row from being overwritten? ...

excel 97 xml import

Creating mailboxes via command line.
In Exchange 5.5 I used a CSV import to create mailboxes from a script. Is there an equivalent (or better) functionailty in Exchange 2003? I use dsadd to create the user account on the 2003 AD server but cannot figure out how to create the mailbox. Any ideas are appreciated. I did look on the windows scripting page, but did not see much that was useful. David Eaton David: You can use LDIFDE or CSVDE. Do some research on both. Neither are as friendly as the import/export features of Exchange 5.5. I personally would recommend learning some scripting and using VBS instead. Do a search for ...

Concurrent access to private data
Hi, maybe it's a simple problem for most of you, but I can't find an easy way to quite simple problem, let me describe: Let's have this code: public ClassToChange() { ... //some other methods internal List<AnyDataClass> LockAndGetData() { Monitor.Enter(cs); return data; } internal Unlock() { Monitor.Exit(cs); } private object cs = new object(); private List<AnyDataClass> data = new List<AnyDataClass>(); } public class Editor { public Editor(ClassToChange editedObject) { this.editedObject = editedObject; } ...

protect borders on a data entry cell
I have an Excell 2007 spreadsheet with borders around selected cells, the spreadsheet is protected so my formulas cant get corrupted, but with some cells that are unlocked for user data entry. But when you copy and paste in these user entry cells the borders are getting copied and pasted also destroying the look of the spreadsheet. so how do you protect the borders from being changed and still allow copy and paste in the user entry cells? Thanks in advance Terry You could politely ask users to copy>paste VALUES -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin....

Importing JEs through the Table Import

Reverse chart column and row order
I'm running Office 2007 and all my charts are showing up in reverse order: I want a bar graph that looks like this: Series 1 -------------------------------->Column 1 Series 1 ------------------------->Column 2 Series 1 ------------------------------------->Column 3 Series 2 -------------------------------------->Column 1 Series 2------------------>Column 2 Series 2-------------------------->Column 3 What I'm getting is: Series 2-------------------------->Column 3 Series 2------------------>Column 2 Series 2---------------------->Column 1 D3M ----------...

Importing Dynamic data

Flipping order of data in a column
I need to flip the order of data in a column. For example: Is: 22 10 23 Need: 23 10 22 How can I do this? I need only flip the data in a column, these cell are not a part of rows of data thus no ther data must flip with thes numbers. Obviously the data I am changing is more than 3 cells long (- -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi one way (using a helper column - if this is a one-time operation). If your data is in column A enter the following: B1: 1 B2: 2 - select B1:B2 and drag the selection down. This will populate column B with ascending numbers - Sort column A+B wit...

Create chart Base on selected Period
Hello, I have following data and going to create a chart for each period. CATEGORY PER1 PER2 PER3 UPTO PER 12 Pr1 total 584 Prd2 Total 2658 Prd3 Total 154 etc My question is it possible to perhaps have like an input box and put the period I want the chat to get data from? I'm trying not to manually go into the data series and change the Range. I'm not sure if I'm explaining it right, All i want to be able to do is a macro that when click it will ask what period the chart should be for. Please advise any info. Thanks, Juan Hi Juan - T...

Importing a CSV file

Getting my chart to display dates
i have two different values that i am charting on a scatter plot; projected value and actual value for each month. I want my X axis to be the months. For some reason when I go to format the axis it is showing the dates as the number code and is givng me no option to show each month. i can use the number code and set a maximum and minimum date but when i set a 30 day increment it duplicates a month over a long period of time. How do I get the axis to recognize that those are days and chart th value for each month? I want all the months to be displayed on the x axis. I hope this ma...

SmartList for Canadian Payroll returns no data
We are running GP V10 and Canadian Payroll. When our Payroll clerk tries to run a SmartList for payroll data she gets nothing returned in her query result. She is able to see all of her data and do her Payroll work with no issues, and her security access to Payroll data is correct. Can anyone advise as to what we may have missed in her security and / or setup that would prevent her from seeing the data in her SmartList query? As POWERUSER I get no results from the SmartList query either. Appreciate any help or advice! Thanks! Hi LMG Which CPR Smartlists are you trying to run? T...

Import DB from CRM 1.2 to 3.0

Create pivot table from 2 worksheets
How do I create 1 pivot table that draws data from 2 worksheets? -- MichaelKoh ------------------------------------------------------------------------ MichaelKoh's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=22956 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=480774 You can create a pivot table from data on separate sheets (multiple consolidation ranges), but the results may not be exactly what you want. There's more information here: http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot08.html MichaelKoh wrote: > How do I create 1 pivot ...

Basic Chart
I'm fairly new to Charting and I have data like this.. I want to show the line's BTS by week. The Chart wizard does not give me what I need... Please help if possible.. I'd like a line chart Line Week BTS 6600 1 86.67% 6810 1 58.00% 7610 1 88.80% 8600 1 95.43% 8610 1 90.42% 8620 1 90.08% 8650 1 55.84% 8660 1 91.85% 8670 1 96.41% 8690 1 89.00% 6600 2 88.29% 6810 2 83.75% 7610 2 81.81% 8600 2 89.81% 8610 2 70.87% 8620 2 115.11% 8630 2 69.66% 8650 2 81.02% 8660 2 75.56% 8670 2 100.65% 8690 2 101.04% 6600 3 84.20% 6810 3 95.00% 7610 3 88.80% 8600 3 95.17% 8610 3 81.46% 8620 3 103....