I wrapped a two line cell. I sorted but the wrapped cell didn't g.

I am putting a list of names on excell. Some have to go on two lines in one
cell.  I wrapped that cell.  But when I sort data from ascending to
descending the wrapped cell does not go with that info. Any suggestions
0
cells (6)

When I format a cell with Wrap Text, and sort the list, the formatting
stays with the cell. Are the values typed in your list, or are they
links to other cells?

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)
9/11/2004 2:54:40 PM
Mike -

Did you include the column with wrapped cells in the selection to be sorted?

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Debra Dalgleish wrote:

> When I format a cell with Wrap Text, and sort the list, the formatting
> stays with the cell. Are the values typed in your list, or are they
> links to other cells?
>
> Mike's cells wrote:
>
>> I am putting a list of names on excell. Some have to go on two lines
>> in one cell.  I wrapped that cell.  But when I sort data from
>> ascending to descending the wrapped cell does not go with that info.
>> Any suggestions

Wrapping Text to next cell?
Is it possible to get text that overfills a cell to wrap to the nex cell below it? thanks Bria -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi no, but you can make it wrap in the SAME cell (Format - Cells - alignment' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "bdunk >" <<bdunk.19rdkw@excelforum-nospam.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:bdunk.19rdkw@excelforum-nospam.com... > Is it possible to get text that overfills a cell to wrap to the next > cell below it? > > thanks Brian > > > --- > Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

Count number of cells with "CAC"
I have a spreadsheet. One column has cells that have either A, CAC, or Other. How can I have Excel enter the number of each type of cell in ONE cell? -- Janet A. =COUNTIF(A:A,"CAC") or =COUNTIF(A:A,B1) where B1 houses your text. -- Regards Dave Hawley www.ozgrid.com "Janet A. Thompson" <JanetA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EC5E3F85-DAE7-4174-9182-FAD9DE244E1B@microsoft.com... >I have a spreadsheet. One column has cells that have either A, CAC, or >Other. > > How can I have Excel enter the number of each typ...

Adding a Second and Third Line to an Existing Stacked Bar/Line Cha
I have an existing stacked bar chart with the left Y-axis as the bar amounts combined with a line with the line amounts displayed on the right Y-axis. I want to add 2 more lines to my chart. When I add them as new series I do not get anything displaying on my chart. The ranges are all okay. What am I doing wrong? Are the added series listed in the Source Data dialog > Series tab? if so, they may be plotted as the incorrect type or against the wrong axes. You can select a series even if it's somehow obscured by selecting another series and cycling through series using the up ...

cell reference #2
I have a list of numbers in column A. I wish at the bottom to return the maximum value in column A using =max(a1:a100) but i also want the cell reference of this value. how can i do this. thanks Use the MATCH function - it will give you the relative position of the maximum value in your range, and as this begins at A1 then this is the same as the row. If you have two maximum values, however, it will only report the first occurrence. Hope this helps. Pete lees news wrote: > I have a list of numbers in column A. I wish at the bottom to return the > maximum value in column A using =m...

Transfer automatically the format of one cell to other cell
I have applied specific formats to cells (format of the fonts) on sheet. On the same workbook but on different sheet i have some cells gettin their values directly from cells of the first sheet. Example: The value of the cell C4 of the sheet 2 is given by: =sheet1!C22 HOW can i keep the existing font type of shell C22 on cell C4, bu without apllying it to each one individually Thanks for your tim -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi see your reply in public.excel -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > I have applied specific formats to cells (format of the font...

Text wrapping difficulity
I am attempting to wrap text around a graphic, an oval. On the "outside" of the oval is a picture that ends on the ovals left hand side. I want the text to follow the "inside" (or right hand side) of the oval. I have edited the text boxes' wrap points, that did nothing. I have grouped the three objects (picture, graphic & text box) and brought the graphic to the front. That didn't work. The text always runs through (on top of) the graphic and the picture, or goes away completely. Is there a solution? Thanks. Text will never wrap inside the oval....

First line indentation does not get saved.
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I have formatted my doc. and have used first line indentation for the normal style. After saving the doc all seems to work fine, but once I exit the Word application and then reload the document, the first line indentation is lost. <br> Can anyone help please :-&amp; That's one of the reasons that modifying Normal para style isn't recommended... Your modified version, is stored only in the document where you modified it unless you check the 'Add to template' box. The 'customized...

Sync'ing Outlook with iPhone/iTunes on two PCs
I'm getting an iPhone soon. It will replace my WinMob PDA and Motorola V9 phone. I'm wondering - how do you guys, if you have one of these phones, sync Outlook with say a laptop and a PC? For the best answers to these questions, visit Apple's iPhone forum for Mail, Calendar and Contact issues at http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=1144 - the people there all use iphones and many use outlook. Here we all use outlook but only a few use iphones. :) -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center:...

How to get XmlType of a node from in-line schema
I load an XmlDocument which has an inline schema. I want to use XmlType property of XPathNavigator to get the type according to this inline schema. But XmlType is null for all nodes. I tried loading the documenting from an XmlValidatingReader to see if that made any difference but it did not. Any suggestions? Thanks Chris ChrisHarrington wrote: > I load an XmlDocument which has an inline schema. I want to use XmlType > property of XPathNavigator to get the type according to this inline schema. > But XmlType is null for all nodes. I tried loading the documenting from an ...

Wrap to Window
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) In draft view, I'd like the text to wrap to the window size rather than the document's margins. Is this feature part of Word for Mac? It's easily done in the PC version. Thanks, Robin Hi Robin - Word> Preferences> View - check the box for Wrap text to window. HTH |:>) Bob Jones [MVP] Office:Mac On 4/12/08 10:20 AM, in article ee98414.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "Robin@officeformac.com" <Robin@officeformac.com> wrote: > Version: 2008 > Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) > &g...

Date and Time Picker
I am trying to use the Microsoft Date and Time Picker Control, Version 6 so people can choose a date by the calendar and when I do one for the page it seems to work ok but when I put two , then they do not retain their place on the page the next time I open the file. I go into Design Mode then insert and choose the bottom right for more options to find the Microsoft Date... I can zoom in / out and it seem to correct itself , but looks odd when I first reopen. I have tried saving the file as .xlsm and xlsx ? Any suggestions? maybe code for the sheet? ...

detect a filled out cell
Hi, I would like to check a column. If a cell has text, i want to increase a counter. could it be done using SUMIF ? something like SUMIF(Page1!A:A;cell <>"";total=total+1) i don't want to use VBA thanks, Alain Hi Alain, =COUNTIF(A:A,"<>") It will count all non-empty cells, also numbers -- Kind Regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "Alain R." <no.valid@email.com> wrote in message news:uhSHao02DHA.3468@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > I would like to check a column. > If a cell has text, i want to increase a coun...

Sending Email
My Outlook Address book is sorted by last name of person, which is the way I would want it. However, when I go to write an email, and click on TO, the names there are sorted by the first name of the person. I have lived with this for a long time, but I just noticed that a friends Outlook, the names were sorted by the last name of the person when they clicked on TO. How do I change the sort? -- Have a great day, except you spammers To email, remove the obvious ....... If Outlook 2003 (you don't mention the version, which is always a problem for us answering questions), go to Tools...

Online access to two accounts at same bank
I just opened a new checking account at the same bank where we maintain our regular checking account. I want to set up Money 2004 for online access to this second account (to download transactions, pay bills, etc.), but can't figure out how. All I find are screens which show my existing account and give me the option to change it. I can't figure out how to *add* another account at the same bank (with a separate username and password) and have online access to both. Thank you very kindly in advance for any suggestions. In microsoft.public.money, Banister Stairwell wrote: ...

Pie chart data labels and lines disappear
Help! I have a couple of pie charts in a file that I've set data labels and values to show. Everytime I close the file, when I reopen it, they're gone, although when I go to chart option, both are checked as being displayed. If I uncheck the boxes, then recheck them, the labels and values show again. Everytime I close the file, the same things happen. What's up with this? ...

Two accounts same bank
My wife and I have an account at the same bank. How do we setup money to allow for this. It appears that we have to create two logins and set up on person as one user and one as the other. We want all the inforamtion to be viewed in one budget and we have some joint accounts. How does money work with this. I have looked at all the docs and it appears that this is not possible. Thanks, In microsoft.public.money, NW wrote: >My wife and I have an account at the same bank. How do we setup money to >allow for this. It appears that we have to create two logins and set up on &...

how to draw a trendline using two set of data?
Dear All, How to draw a trendline using two set of data (same x-value but different in y-value) thanks Cheers Do you want two trendlines, one for each data set? The Add Trendline dialog (Chart menu > Add Trendline) has a listbox to allow selection of a series. Do you want to combine the data into one series? You need to define a series that contains all of the points. If your two separate series have these series formulas: =SERIES(Sheet1!$C$4,Sheet1!$B$5:$B$12,Sheet1!$C$5:$C$12,1) =SERIES(Sheet1!$D$4,Sheet1!$B$5:$B$12,Sheet1!$D$5:$D$12,2) you need to add a series with this formula:...

Validation Criteria & Ignore Blank (cells at bottom)
Hi All, I have a named list that has a bunch of blank cells at the bottom so the user can grow the list as needed. The ignore blank check box in data validation looks tempting, but I still get all the blank cells at the bottom of my drop down list. Does anyone know how to get it so the blank cells don't show in the list. Worksheet called License_Only has data from C2:C210. The data is pulled from a second file as follows: C2 - =IF(ISBLANK([Ontario_MGS_Price_List.xls]License_Only!C2),"", [Ontario_MGS_Price_List.xls]License_Only!C2) C3 - =IF(ISBLANK([Ontario_MGS_Price_List.xl...

Subtracting two group footers
I have built a report that attempts to compare year over year changes in commission. There are 2 groups in the report on "team" and then by "year". If the 2009 total was $1000 and the 2010 total was $1500, I would like the "team" total to show me $500 so I can compute the percentage chnage. Is that possible? You could try an expression like: =Sum(Abs(Year([MyDateField])=Year(Date())) * [Commission]) - Sum(Abs(Year([MyDateField])=Year(Date())-1) * [Commission]) -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access MVP "mcmum01" wrote: > I have...

Two Questions
First, can I change the color of the menu bar on the Main Frame window?, How? Second, how can i change the Text font, only, of the Listview, for and standard font.? Thanks in advantage. forgive me, I'm new in MFC. "Hector Martinez" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FE8459A2-A277-4C13-9273-C88C23684D29@microsoft.com... > > > First, can I change the color of the menu bar on the Main Frame window?, How? On Win98/ME or 2k and greater, you can try SetMenuInfo. > > Second, how can i change the Text font, only, of the...

Changing the color of PART of a line
Is it possible to change the color on part of a line? The whole line is Red, but between point C and D we would like to have the line green and then go back to Red after point D, is this possible, and if so how? Plot the C and D points as a separate series and then format it with a wider line than the rest with the desired colour. best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "just_asks" <just_asks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:26126BFA-C9A6-4FFC-B219-CBB856B20B1C@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to change the...

Sorting after using VLOOKUP
I finally figured out the VLOOKUP function and have the info I need on one spreadsheet. Now, I want to sort the spreadsheet. I think I need to "lock" the formulas in the cells some way so they will sort with the correct records. Is this even possible? Do your =vlookup()'s refer to cells in the same row? If yes, then I bet you'll be ok. (If they used a different row, you might have trouble, though.) The easiest check is to save your workbook, then apply the sort (to the whole range). Then see if it worked for you. If it didn't, you can close without saving (or j...

Cell Referencing #3
I'm having a slight problem with referencing to a cell. One cell is a simple SUM formula, which returns a number. Is there any way that I can somehow make the returned number from this cell to the row number in a cell reference in a formula for another cell? For instance, say for F10, I have =SUM(some range). In H10, I want to put in a formula that says =G(F10) + 5, where F10 would correspond to the value returned by the sum, making that the row number in the G column. Thank you for any help Hi Yes you can!! Try something like this: =INDIRECT("G"&F10+5) You were pret...

Hand cursor (with mailto: info) appears over other cells.
I have a user who uses the hyperlink feature in Excel to open up new messages to clients by clicking on their e-mail addresses within the spreadsheet. We've recently seen a behavior where even if she clicks over the client's name or address, the hand cursor still appears and instead of being able to edit the cell, it opens a new email to that client. I'm not sure what has happened. Any ideas? ...

word wrap in publisher
I am wanting to know if there is a way to reset the default word wrap values in publisher. I have everything else set so that I don't have to open the 'format text box' box every time to set this. I am writing newsletters and need to do this quickly at least 20 times an hour. HELP!!! mewithad <mewithad@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > I am wanting to know if there is a way to reset the default word wrap > values in publisher. I have everything else set so that I don't have > to open the 'format text box' box every time to...