I want "Infinite" horizontal scrolling for a chart.

Hi,

I have a worksheet containing daily data relating to web site page
hits and want to chart this as an open-ended graph on a Chart sheet.

For example, column A contains the current date, column B the number
of hits for Page 1, column C hits for Page 2, etc. Date is the y-axis,
counts are charted on the x-axis. I add the data on a daily basis and
extend the data range by seven days at the start of each week.

How can I make the chart wider than the sheet, and avoid having the
data horizontally squished into a single pane. In other words, I want
a chart sheet to behave as a Worksheet in terms of scrolling. I know
I'll lose the y-axis legends on a right scroll, but I can live with
that.

TIA

--
Nick Michell
Doff Your Hat for personal reply.

Hi
have a look at the following sites to create dynamic charts:
http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/software/autochart/index.html
http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/newsgroups/dynamic_charts/index.html

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

Nick Michell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a worksheet containing daily data relating to web site page
> hits and want to chart this as an open-ended graph on a Chart sheet.
>
> For example, column A contains the current date, column B the number
> of hits for Page 1, column C hits for Page 2, etc. Date is the
y-axis,
> counts are charted on the x-axis. I add the data on a daily basis and
> extend the data range by seven days at the start of each week.
>
> How can I make the chart wider than the sheet, and avoid having the
> data horizontally squished into a single pane. In other words, I want
> a chart sheet to behave as a Worksheet in terms of scrolling. I know
> I'll lose the y-axis legends on a right scroll, but I can live with
> that.
>
> TIA

0
frank.kabel (11126)
5/30/2004 10:29:07 PM
Hi Frank,

Thanks for those links - lots of useful stuff but none of it gives me
a solution.

Just to restate my requirement, when I dynamically extend my x-axis
data range, I want the horizontal "scale" to remain the same (1cm per
day, or whatever) and for the chart to extend beyond the right-hand
edge of the sheet pane, requiring a scroll to bring the new result
into view.

On Mon, 31 May 2004 00:29:07 +0200, "Frank Kabel"
<frank.kabel@freenet.de> wrote:

>Hi
>have a look at the following sites to create dynamic charts:
>http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/software/autochart/index.html
>http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Dynamics.html
>http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/newsgroups/dynamic_charts/index.html

--
Nick Michell
Doff Your Hat for personal reply.
0
Nick
5/31/2004 8:48:39 PM
Hi
AFAIK you can't exactly achieve this kind of chart. What is possible
(and shown on Jon Peltier's site) is to create a dynamic chart, use a
scrollbar and scroll through your data range

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

Nick Michell wrote:
> Hi Frank,
>
> Thanks for those links - lots of useful stuff but none of it gives me
> a solution.
>
> Just to restate my requirement, when I dynamically extend my x-axis
> data range, I want the horizontal "scale" to remain the same (1cm per
> day, or whatever) and for the chart to extend beyond the right-hand
> edge of the sheet pane, requiring a scroll to bring the new result
> into view.
>
> On Mon, 31 May 2004 00:29:07 +0200, "Frank Kabel"
> <frank.kabel@freenet.de> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> have a look at the following sites to create dynamic charts:
>> http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/software/autochart/index.html
>> http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Dynamics.html

http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/newsgroups/dynamic_charts/index.html

0
frank.kabel (11126)
5/31/2004 8:55:58 PM
Lateral thinking! (sorry ;-) )

Thanks - I'll try that.

On Mon, 31 May 2004 22:55:58 +0200, "Frank Kabel"
<frank.kabel@freenet.de> wrote:

>Hi
>AFAIK you can't exactly achieve this kind of chart. What is possible
>(and shown on Jon Peltier's site) is to create a dynamic chart, use a
>scrollbar and scroll through your data range

--
Nick Michell
Doff Your Hat for personal reply.
0
Nick
5/31/2004 11:24:08 PM
Nick -

An alternative approach: Embed the chart on the worksheet, zoom out to
50% or 25% (or switch to page break preview), and stretch the chart
widthwise as far as you'd like.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Nick Michell wrote:

> Lateral thinking! (sorry ;-) )
>
> Thanks - I'll try that.
>

> On Mon, 31 May 2004 22:55:58 +0200, "Frank Kabel"
> <frank.kabel@freenet.de> wrote:
>

>>Hi
>>AFAIK you can't exactly achieve this kind of chart. What is possible
>>(and shown on Jon Peltier's site) is to create a dynamic chart, use a
>>scrollbar and scroll through your data range
>

> --
> Nick Michell
> Doff Your Hat for personal reply.

0
DOjonNOT (619)

Microsoft Outlook infinite loop errors while configuring exchange account upon first launch.
When you launch outlook for the first time, you get the option to go through the email wizard or cancel. I choose to cancel the wizard and instead add an exchange account (via control panel/mail/accounts) to the mail settings. After adding the exchange account, I then lauched outlook again to populate the cache with exchange emails and folders, etc., but instead was greeted with an error message after 30 minutes of what seemed to be a locked computer: "outlook must first connect to exchange server before configuring additional email accounts", and then closes down. I then proceeded...

infinite calculating huge CPU usage
Trouble with subform totals has focused my attention on Access 2007 and its usage of CPU while idle. See post #12 under "form calculating troubles". A number of people have reported endless calculating as evidenced by the message in the Status Bar. My installation of Access 2007, a part of Office Basic 2007 Trial from Lenovo, consumes 50% CPU usage while idle (as reported by Task Manager > Performance). I see this when looking at the Northwind sample database. Has anyone else noticed this? Is this indicative of problem with my installation or with Access itself? ...

Terminate infinite loop
Hi All, I have written a console (win32) application with VC++ 6.0. It has an infinite loop, where it retrieves information from a socket. The application is arranged as Service (Win 2000 Pro). My problem is to send a message through the socket before the process will terminate (e.g. at system shutdown). Is there a possibility to catch the terminating message?! Is there actually a windows message (it's a console application)?! Hope for help, Matthias Matthias Meier wrote: > I have written a console (win32) application with VC++ 6.0. It has an > infinite loop, where it retrieves i...

Infinite loop in _AfxRemoveDefaultButton in mfc71ud.dll
I have an mdi application, which has begin getting stuck in an infinite loop, in the function _AfxRemoveDefaultButton() function in the file occdlg.cpp. The view in question is a CFormView, which has a couple of child dialog windows. The loop gets hit, when buttons on the CFormView are pressed and they have been through their event handling function. It is this chunk of mfc code: do { COccManager::SetDefaultButton(pWnd, FALSE); pWndNext = _AfxNextControl(pWndRoot, pWnd, 0); pWnd = pWndNext; } while ((pWnd != NULL) && (pWnd != pWndStart)); Where it appears to be going ...

3 tier incentive matrix w/ infinite possibilities
I am trying to set up an incentive matrix for sales reps. If there were only 3 clearly defined tiers or payout %, then I could wrap this up with an IF formula. What I actually need, however, is some way of calculating infinite ranges in between my established tiers. So let's say my sales reps have a goal of selling 100 widgets per month at a cost of $1000 each. My tiers are constructed like this: % of Goal Achieved % of Revenue Share Tier 1 90.00% 0.75% Tier 2 125.00% 3.00% Tier 3 150.00% 4.50% If, for example, the ...

Preventing infinite recursion
I have a table that I am using a CTE to get the parent/child records a category. The problem is that a user could put in a record that would cause infinite recursion and I am trying to find out if there is a good way to prevent that? For example: Parent Child 5 29 29 5 Using a cte to do recursion I would get a recursion error. If you start at the 1st record, you would get the parent as 5 and then look for the record that that had the parent = 29 (the child) which would get you the 2nd row. You would then look for the record that had...

infinite rows?
Is there a way to limit the number of rows on a worksheet? I am able to use the mouse roller to scroll down apparently infinitely. I'd like to limit the number of rows on my sheet, if possible, so that users can know when they've reached the end. Please advise! Hi Pauline actually there is a limitation of rows in excel => there are 65536 (in Excel 07 there will be a lot more! ) if you want the user to just see the first 100 rows you could hide the other rows. Hth Carlo "Pauline" wrote: > Is there a way to limit the number of rows on a worksheet? I am able &g...

infinite loop "File Download" on launch
Since Sunday, every time I launch Money 2004 Deluxe, an infinite loop starts: a "File Download" dialog briefly appears, disappears, focus switches to a browser window but loads nothing; then back to the File Download dialog, etc ad nauseum. I'm fully patched via Windows Updates, and Norton AntiVirus reports nothing. I'm on Win2K Pro with latest service pack. Anyone know what is going on?? I'm about ready to just switch to Quicken. The only thing I can do to stop it is quit Money and forcibly end all instances of Internet Explorer (v6). Thanks, r:b: I certainly do...

Why INFINITE loop in a thread occupy so much CPU time??
I've got a thread: threadFunc(LPVOID pdata) { while(1)...... } why it takes so much cpu time on windows?? On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 22:16:44 -0800 (PST), lostlander <lostlander.tom@gmail.com> wrote: >I've got a thread: > >threadFunc(LPVOID pdata) >{ > while(1)...... >} > >why it takes so much cpu time on windows?? What did you expect to happen? Threads that don't yield consume as many CPU cycles as the OS will give them, subject to things like relative priority, dynamic priority adjustment, and so forth. -- Doug Harrison Visual C++ MVP As Doug say...

infinite years calendar software
Sir, I am BE graduate and currently working as a programmer in a government organization in India. I have developed a calendar software which can show months from AD :1 to unlimited years. Could you include this as an additional feature to your calendar application in your OS.It will be an interesting feature .Its algorithm and logic are very simple and efficient to implement on any platform.I think this software is unique and nobody has developed an unlimited years calendar software so far. yours faithfully Binu] ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft,...

Why can't I run a WINXP service having an infinite while loop???
Can you help me with this problem: I create a service, but when I try to run it - at first everything lookes OK and after some time I get Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion... I think this is because I have an infinite while loop in my service code. I also use for(int i=0;i<90;i++) Sleep(1000*20) as I heard that this error can appear to an inncativity of 30 seconds... Can you give some ideas for overcomming this? I'm no expert on doing services, but I think you need to respond (usually in another thread that just hand...

a possible infinite loop
Hi, I have a program that sometime hangs forever. It just happens sometimes. I suspect there is an infinite loop. In the debugger, is there a way to know where the program is looping when such a situation takes place. Break points won't help a lot because this situation happens only from time to time. I want to stop the program when such a situation take places. Do you have any idea? Thanks for any help. Tony "May Young" <tony@srac.com> wrote in message news:3F7A0C28.4090601@srac.com... > Hi, > > I have a program that sometime hangs forever. It jus...

continously in the waiting state when we call WaitForMultipleObjects (2,arHandles,FALSE,INFINITE);
hi guys, i am using overlapped serial i/o communication . and out of 10 times i got 6 times problem of continously waiting at WaitForMultipleObjects (2,arHandles,FALSE,INFINITE); i don't know what is the reason behind this i am giving code please help me. bool CStandaloneInstrument::ConnectionEstablish() { CString szPortName="COM1"; DWORD dwBaudRate=19200; BYTE byParity=0, byStopBits=1, byByteSize=8; HRESULT hr = S_OK; try { m_hDataRx = CreateEvent(0,TRUE,0,0); //open the COM Port m_hCommPort = ::CreateFile(szPortName, GENERIC_READ|GENERIC_WRITE,//acces...

malware?? infinite mutliple "internet explorer" windows till power off
Hello: may be it's a virus or a malware that's not detected by my free AVG9 always up to date: From time to time, the system go slow down, then a continuous burst of internet explorer windows comes to screen until I press the power off button for a long time. can this be fixed without all re-formatting? thank you Maurice Maurice wrote: > may be it's a virus or a malware that's not detected by my free > AVG9 always up to date: > > From time to time, the system go slow down, then a continuous burst > of internet explorer windows come...

Infinite Applying User Settings
There is an application that installs just fine on most of our Windows XP Pro SP2 workstations. It is called ClearCase. (Please no comments about ClearCase being good or bad. I'm stuck with it.) On a few workstations, however, ClearCase will install apparently successfully and then tell us that a reboot is required to finish up. The reboot makes it to the "Applying User Settings" message and hangs. We've given it the opportunity to apply them for many hours (overnight). The only recourse is to power down and try booting again. (Unfortunately we worker-bees ar...

I want "Infinite" horizontal scrolling for a chart.
Hi, I have a worksheet containing daily data relating to web site page hits and want to chart this as an open-ended graph on a Chart sheet. For example, column A contains the current date, column B the number of hits for Page 1, column C hits for Page 2, etc. Date is the y-axis, counts are charted on the x-axis. I add the data on a daily basis and extend the data range by seven days at the start of each week. How can I make the chart wider than the sheet, and avoid having the data horizontally squished into a single pane. In other words, I want a chart sheet to behave as a Worksheet in term...

CTE Infinite Recursion
I have a situation where you can have an infinite recusion. There is an issue where editing a page could cause infinite recursion. This would happen if a distribution folder were put into itself. It would also happen if you put folder "A" into folder "B" where folder "B" is in any of the folders contained in any of the folders found in folder "A". A little convoluted sentence but that is the problem. A is in B and B is in C If you put A into C then C will eventually point back to itself and you the recursion will continue on YO...

Infinite Recursive CTE
I have a situation where you can have an infinite recusion. There is an issue where editing a page could cause infinite recursion. This would happen if a distribution folder were put into itself. It would also happen if you put folder "A" into folder "B" where folder "B" is in any of the folders contained in any of the folders found in folder "A". A little convoluted sentence but that is the problem. A is in B and B is in C If you put A into C then C will eventually point back to itself and you the recursion will continue on YOu hav...

The Internet Gold Rush Is Here with Infinite Income!
I'm a Dot Com Millionaire Mom in the making. It was hard but I took that job and shoved it! I'm a mother of 3 and former employee of Philip Morris USA. Yes, I said it right - Philip Morris USA, a very good paying job with all the fixings. No one in their right mind would give this up. If you would have asked me months ago - I would have laughed at you because things like this don't happen to hard working people like us. I was very wrong. With the Fast Start program that pays immediately, the compression matrix to infinity and the residual income - you will prosper quickly. We ar...

How to calculate NPV of an infinite series?
I have a series of cashflows, forecast to grow at say 2% each year and go on indefinitely. Is there a formula or function I can use to get the value of the maximum net present value of this series? The only way I can find so far is to model it for 100's of periods, use the NPV function for each year in turn, then see at what year the NPV stops changing... must be a better way surely? Say D is your discount rate, CF the annual constant cash flow. (note that D must be above 2% to estimate an "infinite" NPV) NPV = Sum CF* ((1+2%)/(1+D))^N When N is infinite, after simplificatio...

Still infinite loop in _AfxRemoveDefaultButton
Hi, I have tabbed dialog inside MDI frame with number of tabs. One of the them has ActiveX control inside. Occasionally, MFC hangs in _AfxRemoveDefaultButton. The tab resource is below: IDD_SIMULATE_FITTING DIALOGEX 0, 0, 308, 122 STYLE DS_SETFONT | DS_CONTROL | WS_CHILD CAPTION "Fitting" FONT 8, "MS Sans Serif", 0, 0, 0x0 BEGIN CONTROL "",IDC_GRID1,"{00028CD1-...}",WS_GROUP | WS_TABSTOP,3,4,300,114 END As you see, it has DS_CONTROL style and no WS_EX_CONTROLPARENT extended style. Base dialog also has no last style. And my application still hangs. ...

Thread Checking the Queue data in an infinite loop
Hello, I have a Thread which runs in a while(1) infinite loop checking for any data in the Queue(normal STL::Queue) and if any data is there, it retrieves and does some functionality with it. Now since it is an infinite loop, continousy checking for data, CPU Utilization is almost 95-100% for my process. To Avoid that, I have tempororily put Sleep(1). But I know this is not a good solution. I want to replace it with this Solution. Please let me know if this is correct. 1) I will create a Synchronization Object i.e an Event Object which is an Autoreset Event Object. 2) The threads which wr...

infinite thread
In the contructor of my class : _ThreadHandle = AfxBeginThread( ThreadCallback, this )->m_hThread; // _ThreadHandle is a member variable. In the desctructor : _bContinueThread = false; ::WaitForSingleObject( _ThreadHandle, INFINITE ); And the callback is as following : UINT CMyClass::ThreadCallback(LPVOID pParam) { CMyClass* pWnd = reinterpret_cast<CMyClass*>( pParam ); while ( pWnd->_bContinueThread == true ) { //some stuff ::Sleep( 10 ); } return ( 0 ); } And when the destructor is called, I never break on the "return ( 0 );" line and my applicati...

How to Sum infinite formula
I'm doing a transition matrix (hazard rate method) using formula (trying to avoid using VBA under some company policy), but then, i'm stuck when it comes to summing infinite formula. the formula i come out with looks like this {=L34:T42+L14:T22+MMULT(L14:T22,L14:T22)/ 2+MMULT(MMULT(L14:T22,L14:T22),L14:T22)/ 6+MMULT(MMULT(MMULT(L14:T22,L14:T22),L14:T22),L14:T22)/24} where L34:T42 is something like a {1,0,0; 0,1,0; 0,0,1} matrix (not sure what this called, i'll just refer to matrix A) but in 9x9 L14:T22 is my Generator Matrix, also in 9x9 the formula should be: Tra...

For Next Infinite Loop
I am getting an infinite loop when I run this code and today's date isn't found. I'd like it to do nothing if it's not found. How would I do that ? For Each rCell In Selection If rCell.Value = Date Then Range(rCell.Address).Offset(1, 0).Activate Next rCell That code by itself won't produce an infinite loop - it will check each cell in the Selection then stop. Do you have event macros running? In article <1137166652.751364.15880@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, "Naji" <connected350@aol.com> wrote: > I am getting an infinite loop when ...