how to produce horizontal line chart of point est & 95% ci's

hello there,

would appreciate help and advice to help me.

i have six columns of data. the first column is a string variable, the
second and third columns are numerical variables (year, population size n).
these first three columns would be my y-axis on the left. if it would help
make it easier, then i can combine these three columns into one column (e.g.
arthur 1999 30,000) . the fourth, fifth  and sixth columns are lower limit of
the point estimate's 95% confidence interval, point estimates itself and the
upper limit of 95% confidence interval (e.g. 0.32(0.51)0.73). these last
columns' values would be my x-axis e.g. 0 - 0.8.

i would like to be able to produce line chart where the point estimate is
represented by e.g. a dot with a horizontal line running through it and where
the horizontal line represents the 95% confidence interval limit. ideally too
i would like the dot to be able to be 'weighted' e.g. corresponding
proportionately to the size of the population.

i tried using chart wizard and custom but somehow could not even get
anywhere near the results that i wanted. so any help, advice and suggestion
would be appreciated.

when i searched the knowledge base, the nearest post that comes to my
requirement was entitled 'forest plots' but it did not contain suggestions
that i might be able to use. i have also tried excellent jon peltier sites
but did not find pointers there as well that i could use.

i am using w98se with office97 but push come to shove, i can find wxp pro
sp2 and office xp.

again thank you for help, advice and suggestions that would help me.

kind regards,
josh
0
w98user (2)

Hi w98user,

You might have a look at 'Forest Plots' at
http://edferrero.m6.net/charting.aspx

Ed Ferrero
http://edferrero.m6.net/

> hello there,
>
> would appreciate help and advice to help me.
>
> i have six columns of data. the first column is a string variable, the
> second and third columns are numerical variables (year, population size
> n).
> these first three columns would be my y-axis on the left. if it would help
> make it easier, then i can combine these three columns into one column
> (e.g.
> arthur 1999 30,000) . the fourth, fifth  and sixth columns are lower limit
> of
> the point estimate's 95% confidence interval, point estimates itself and
> the
> upper limit of 95% confidence interval (e.g. 0.32(0.51)0.73). these last
> columns' values would be my x-axis e.g. 0 - 0.8.
>
> i would like to be able to produce line chart where the point estimate is
> represented by e.g. a dot with a horizontal line running through it and
> where
> the horizontal line represents the 95% confidence interval limit. ideally
> too
> i would like the dot to be able to be 'weighted' e.g. corresponding
> proportionately to the size of the population.
>
> i tried using chart wizard and custom but somehow could not even get
> anywhere near the results that i wanted. so any help, advice and
> suggestion
> would be appreciated.
>
> when i searched the knowledge base, the nearest post that comes to my
> requirement was entitled 'forest plots' but it did not contain suggestions
> that i might be able to use. i have also tried excellent jon peltier sites
> but did not find pointers there as well that i could use.
>
> i am using w98se with office97 but push come to shove, i can find wxp pro
> sp2 and office xp.
>
> again thank you for help, advice and suggestions that would help me.
>
> kind regards,
> josh

0
mail953 (171)
11/8/2005 9:55:33 PM
hello ed,

thanks for your response. i saw your input within the 'forest plots'
posting. at first glance, at the time, i didn't think it would meet my
requirement but let me have a go at your set-up to see whether it can be
modified to suit my need. will let you know in due course.

of course any other suggestions (yours or others) are still welcome.

thank you again.

regards,

"Ed Ferrero" wrote:

> Hi w98user,
>
> You might have a look at 'Forest Plots' at
> http://edferrero.m6.net/charting.aspx
>
> Ed Ferrero
> http://edferrero.m6.net/
>

> > hello there,
> >
> > would appreciate help and advice to help me.
> >
> > i have six columns of data. the first column is a string variable, the
> > second and third columns are numerical variables (year, population size
> > n).
> > these first three columns would be my y-axis on the left. if it would help
> > make it easier, then i can combine these three columns into one column
> > (e.g.
> > arthur 1999 30,000) . the fourth, fifth  and sixth columns are lower limit
> > of
> > the point estimate's 95% confidence interval, point estimates itself and
> > the
> > upper limit of 95% confidence interval (e.g. 0.32(0.51)0.73). these last
> > columns' values would be my x-axis e.g. 0 - 0.8.
> >
> > i would like to be able to produce line chart where the point estimate is
> > represented by e.g. a dot with a horizontal line running through it and
> > where
> > the horizontal line represents the 95% confidence interval limit. ideally
> > too
> > i would like the dot to be able to be 'weighted' e.g. corresponding
> > proportionately to the size of the population.
> >
> > i tried using chart wizard and custom but somehow could not even get
> > anywhere near the results that i wanted. so any help, advice and
> > suggestion
> > would be appreciated.
> >
> > when i searched the knowledge base, the nearest post that comes to my
> > requirement was entitled 'forest plots' but it did not contain suggestions
> > that i might be able to use. i have also tried excellent jon peltier sites
> > but did not find pointers there as well that i could use.
> >
> > i am using w98se with office97 but push come to shove, i can find wxp pro
> > sp2 and office xp.
> >
> > again thank you for help, advice and suggestions that would help me.
> >
> > kind regards,
> > josh

0
w98user (2)

Horizontal dates
Am I being dull here? I am trying to run weekly dates on the horizontal axis - say Aug 15th onwards. That is - Aug 15, Aug 22, Aug 29 etc. But I cannot. I am clicking max, minor units, fixed, automatic, date axis buttons but I am getting no where except going completely nuts. I've bought a book. No help at all. Been on Microsoft Help. Nothing. Lots of what to do but doesn't solve my problem. The previous Excel version was much easier. Am I alone with this query? Can anyone out there help? How do you put weekly dates on a horizontal axis - without adding to my total f...

Chart in Access
I'm using Access 2003. I have inserted a line graph chart using the chart wizard which charts the value of grades students attain over several terms. I need to change my axis to show the actual grades rather than the grade values. So my data for a student might be {C, B, B+} which is {40, 46, 48} but I don't want numeric values on my Y axis - I want {E,D,C,B,A} How can I change the axis to look the way I want it to? Thanks in advance for any assistance. GB Hi there Anyone out there can help? Rephrased version of my original post: How do I show ...

Categorised / Stacked column chart
Can someone tell me how to create the following style of chart? [image: http://img427.imageshack.us/img427/5287/examplechart6cr.png] Thanks. :) -- Barguast ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Barguast's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28838 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=485881 Clustered-Stacked Column Chart: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ClusterStack.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solut...

getting the correct average in pivot table/chart
I have data for 7 days. Usage in one column and Hour slabs in the other, on 24 hr basis. The data I get is like this Date Hour Total Duration - Mins 01-Oct 07:00 - 07:59 0 01-Oct 09:00 - 09:59 65.08 01-Oct 10:00 - 10:59 97.12 01-Oct 11:00 - 11:59 111.07 01-Oct 12:00 - 12:59 132.4 01-Oct 13:00 - 13:59 71.65 01-Oct 14:00 - 14:59 96.87 01-Oct 15:00 - 15:59 54.8 01-Oct 16:00 - 16:59 107.1 01-Oct 17:00 - 17:59 70.8 01-Oct 18:00 - 18:59 22.02 01-Oct 19:00 - 19:59 7.07 01-Oct 20:00 - 20:59 12.33 01-Oct 21:00 - 21:59 17.78 01-Oct 23:00 - 23:59 3.33 02-Oct 07:00 - 07:59 3.05 02-O...

Adding SOP line to an existing PO
Hi, during SOP entry, the system allows you to create a PO as long as the qty is on backorder. Currently, the process creates a New PO or it can be committed to an exisiting PO. The client would like the functionality to allow it to add a new line to an exisiting PO. The client does not want to give the sales person access to PO entry and many times they create a PO, then close out the sales order, the customer calls back 30 minutes later and will change the sales order either adding qty or adding a new line, thus, we want to add it to the existing PO that was already create. ------...

reports that produce no data
In sql server report 2005 (SSRS 2005), I will be generating some reports that may not have any data selected at times. This can you can tell me how can you display a message like 'The report is not generated since no records' were selected for this report. Can you tell me how to solve this problem either with sql and/or a sql server report 2005? If not no is selected, what will sql server report display? Would it display anything at all! You can have a default row that says "No data for this month" and use an iif statement to suppress it if there is data in the ...

sales line item workflow and process holds and requested ship date
It would be nice if we could set up workflow tracking per line item as well as assign process holds per line item in Sales Trx Entry. It would also be nice to have the abilility to fulfill all items on an order through a specified requested ship date and leave items with future requested ship dates unfulfilled. Then to be able to transfer and ship items that have been fulfilled without having to fulfill those with future requested ship dates. Right now I have to backorder those items that have future requested ship dates just so I can transfer and fulfill the other items on the order...

When close Modeless Dialog, is WM_DESTROY produced?
I never catch up a WM_DESTROY message when I close a Modeless Dialog Window. What message should I check? Anyone can help me? Thanks. OnClose or WM_CLOSE should do it for you. -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com "Frank E Rogers" <syang@pelco.com> wrote in message news:uD5yjj0eEHA.3964@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > I never catch up a WM_DESTROY message when I close a Modeless Dialog > Window. What message should I check? Anyone can help me? > > Thanks. > > ...

Hovering Over the data point shows different X-Axis
I have an area chart with several data points. The chart looks correct, but if I hover over one of the data points the X-axis that it indicates is one off the correct X axis. If I only select data for 2 years (24 points) it is okay. As soon as I add the 25th, the hover over shows the following month (the data is still correct). Is this a limitation in Excel or has anyone else come across this? ...

How do I had a Bcc: line to Outlook 2002
How do I add a Bcc: line to Outlook 2002? I looked every where to no avail. George View-> BCC Field when you have Outlook as the e-mail editor Little arrow on the Options... button when you have Wordas the e-mail editor -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Creating Signatures -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- "George" <santulli@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message news:1bf5301c45231$2cf2a0b0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > How do I add a Bcc: line to Outlook 2002? > I looked every where to no avail. > George...

how do set up a chart with vertical and horizontal column heading
i have a chart with horizontal and vertical columns and i need to know how to create it with excel ...

RSI LINE
in excel file chart i want to add relative strength index line in chart please help me Have you calculated your data for the RSI? If so, go here: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/StockChartPlus.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "Vishwajeet Kantilal Bhatt" <Vishwajeet Kantilal Bhatt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0A60EDD1-89EC-4180-9C0B-2C3E6171691F@microsoft.com... > in excel file chart i want to add relative strength index line in c...

how to get zeros to match in line-bar combo chart on 2 axes
My boss wants to use a line-bar combo chart on 2 axes, but he wants the zeros to begin on the same horizontal line on the chart. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AlignXon2Ys.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com _______ "Electric Julie" <Electric Julie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:486631A9-85E8-4431-A5E1-D282563C9395@microsoft.com... > My boss wants to use a line-bar combo chart on 2 axes, but he wants the > zeros > to begin on the same horizontal line on the chart. ...

why don't the picture or lines display?
On publisher 2003, the graphics, word art, pictures, etc. will not display even though the boxes are still there. bring it forward does not do anything and i just reinstalled the program on my computer but nothing changed. ideas?? View, pictures, detailed display... -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "kiangazi" <kiangazi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F0178D89-E020-4BD5-9C00-D2F0BA04A7F5@microsoft.com... > On publisher 2003, the graphics, word art, pictures, etc. will not display ...

How can I produce fileversion
Hi, I had met a problem in my program,I don't know how to produce a fileversion Info in my software,such as MFC DLL's FileVer, how can I do? Thanks! This is specified in your resources. Look at the VS_VERSION_INFO structure. -- ============ Frank Hickman Microsoft MVP NobleSoft, Inc. ============ Replace the _nosp@m_ with @ to reply. "zh" <gslzzh2002@sina.com> wrote in message news:e8D1jFL7EHA.2196@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > Hi, I had met a problem in my program,I don't know how to produce a > fileversion Info in my software,such as MFC DLL's FileV...

Chart labels do not print in 2003
My spread has several sheets and two of these have eight graphs on each - all sized to fit on one A4 page per sheet. Since i have upgraded to Excel 2003 from 2000, some chart titles no longer print. I have upgraded my printer drivers and also tried this on other Excel 2003 machines, and they have the same problem. However, if i go back to an Excel 2000 machine it prints fine. The report is distributed to users of both versions. Any ideas how to fix this? I don't really have a guess. Have you tried it on different printers (if you have them available)? If you create a small test work...

Variable chart Source Data Y Values
I can't seem to encode the Y-Values of a chart to have a variable range. (in Excel 2000) I have tried things like: ="INDIRECT( CONCATENATE( "Sheet1!$A$1:$A$", TEXT($B$1,"0") ) )" where $B$1 = 20. I had hoped this would produce (and evaluate) the formula "Sheet1$A $1:$A$20". Instead, I receive "That function is not valid". Does anyone know of a way to do this? The reason I ask is: I have a data series which keeps track of monthly values and estimates the future months' values. This is done using a formula in future month'...

Removing lines on postcard printing
When I print out a postcard in publisher it prints out lines at the corners of the publication. Is there a way to remove those lines? I am trying to print onto a postcard and don't need these guide lines. Please post response to board and my email Thank you John In news:d99201c43ae0$daa0e7c0$a001280a@phx.gbl, John Garrett <gfjohn77@msn.com> posted: > When I print out a postcard in publisher it prints out > lines at the corners of the publication. Is there a way > to remove those lines? I am trying to print onto a > postcard and don't need these guide lines. ...

Formatting a Column Chart
I have a column chart that graphs volume data that is provide by one row(A1...) in my spreadsheet, and a matching second row(A2...) that can be one of two values that is not graphed. What I need to do is to change the color of the column for the row(A1...) data point based on the corresponding row(A2...) cell value. I have seen some examples provide, but none that address this type of situation. Any help would be great appreciated. TIA mohawk1df Hi, You are describing a conditional chart. You need to create 2 data series based on the result of a test on A2, so something like. A3: =IF(A...

Report Writer Line Number
I modified a PO format to only print PO lines if text is in the comment field. This has now caused problems with line numbering. I want to re-number the lines so that the numbering does not skip numbers. For example: PO Line Item 1 and PO Line Item 3 have comments, thus they will print on the PO. PO Line item 2 will not because a comment is not entered. The line numbering field picks up the line number from the PO table, not what is actually printing on the PO. Is there a calculated field I can create to overcome this? You can use VBA script to dynamically calculate this line nu...

parse file horizontally instead of vertically
When I try to import my delimited file into Excel, it parses as vertical file. I need it to import in horizontal or traditiona database format. Example of what I am getting: Jane Doe 123 Main St Anytown, PA 12345 Thank you for your help ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com The bad news is this is more complex than you would guess. You'll have to answer some questions to get better replies: 1. How is your data arranged? Is it always 3 lines (name/a...

how do I link chart title & keep the number format in a heading
how do I link chart to a cell that has text and numerics but the numeric dollar value being picked up does not show the separators and $ sign? In a cell, you need a formula like this that defines the format of the number: ="Monthly Totals: "&TEXT($A$1,"$#,##0.00") Then link the title to this cell. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "Raj" <Raj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4CA27D84-881E-42C0-A07B-031D7CA48642@microsoft.c...

producing an outline
In Word under 'Bullets and Numbering', you have a tab called 'Outline Numbered" that will create an outline with several levels, each indented nicely. However, I do not see the same tab in Publisher 2003. So, how does one create an outline in Publisher? I've searched the help, knowledge bases, queried the search engines, ... but can't find the necessary magic. Thanks, Larry The unfortunate anwer is "with extreme difficulty". It's easier to create it in Word and copy it over into Word. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Larry Mason...

Copying a sheet with a chart that uses Excel Names
Hi Group, who knows the following XL-2003 effect and its solution: An Excel sheet with a chart that uses Excel-names in the data-source. (e.g. =Sheet1!Banana) The names are located in the sheet, not in the workbook. Then copy the sheet (inside or outside the workbook). Names are copied automatically into the new sheet. The chart in the copied sheet has no more names in its data-source, but the basic values (e.g. ={160.200.240.320}). XL-2007 has nearly the same effect: It changes the name into the cell reference (Sheet1!$C$4:$C$7) I am looking for a solution that evades any manual repai...

Counting rows and inserting blank lines
Hello, all. I have a spreadsheet that has "sections" - a header row and several detail rows beneath it until the next header row, etc. The sections are different companies. This is for an JE upload into SAP and the row count for each company section is limited to 190 rows. I have 2 companies that are always larger than 190 and occasionally one other company. This is the macro I currently have that is for a specific company: 'Split lines longer than 190 for US14 ''' where to search Set rg = ActiveSheet.Range("E:E") '...