How to obtain the root of f(x) in this interval?

I am trying to draw a graph here, plotted graph x, with function f(x) at
y-axis, does anyone know how to get the approximation to the root of f(x) in
this interval. What is the value of x if i wish to obtain f(x)=0?
0
Gaenn (1)

In article <76A8C811-8C27-4E2B-AE6F-25BA4838B142@microsoft.com>,
Gaenn@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> I am trying to draw a graph here, plotted graph x, with function f(x) at
> y-axis, does anyone know how to get the approximation to the root of f(x) in
> this interval. What is the value of x if i wish to obtain f(x)=0?

If you know the function, use Solver.  If you don't, eyeball the graph.
What I do is zoom in on the segment of interest by changing the axes
Xmin, Xmax, Ymin, and Ymax values.

--
Regards,

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions
Lots of examples in book ISBN 0 7506 5613 1
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"Gaenn" <Gaenn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to draw a graph here, plotted graph x, with function f(x) at
> y-axis, does anyone know how to get the approximation to the root of f(x)
> in
> this interval. What is the value of x if i wish to obtain f(x)=0?

0
bliengme5824 (3040)

How to plot chart with 2 different y-axis with a common x-axis?
I want to plot on the same chart y-values with different units. The x-axis will be the same for both. How do I do it? "ARC" <ARC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8ADB9688-277A-4E36-A3CB-5E3BFA708EA8@microsoft.com... >I want to plot on the same chart y-values with different units. The x-axis > will be the same for both. How do I do it? For whichever series you want on the second Y-axis, Format Data Series/ Axis Select secondary axis -- David Biddulph ...

Obtaining CWnd
I using a function to get information about the current DC. In this case, I want to grab the current DC and save it off so that I might modify it to retrieve information about a particular font. CClientDC wants a CWnd *. Previously, I would save a ptr to the main application window but I'm trying to provide a better encapsulation so I don't have to rely on an external ptr of sorts. Is there an API call that will allow me to get the pointer to the main application (process)? This is a scaled down implementation of the function - CSize DisplayHandler::TextDimension(const TCHAR *T...

multiple series of values graphed with indep. x values -possible?
I'm trying to make a line graph with three different sets/series of data points (y values are dollars, x axis is specific dates). I can only figure out how to make it so that there is only one series of x-values, with three y-values associated with each x-value. Is it possible to have three lines on the same graph, but not necessarily common x-values in the data points. Let me know if you can help! Thanks. That's a shortcoming with line charts. In fact, the name "line chart" is probably misleading you. Use an XY chart, and format the series to have lines and markers...

Copy x axis
Hopefully this ones easy!?!??! I have a chart where I want to dispaly the same x axis both at the top and the bottom of the chart. Is there a special character to throw in the "cross y axis at" box to cross y at 0 and 100 and therefreo get 2 axis? cheers nobby -- nobbyknownowt Hi, In order to display secondary axis you need a chart with a minimum of two data series. Even if the second data set is an exact copy of the first. Move the second series to the secondary axis and then right click the chart and pick Chart Options. On the axes tab click the X axis option. http://ww...

How can I enter into an Excel spreadsheet cell something like a green check mark or a red "X"?
Gurus, How can I enter into an Excel spreadsheet cell something like a green check mark or a red "X"? -- Spin For a green checkmark format the cells to Marlett font and green color. Enter the letter "a" to get a green checkmark. For a red "X" just format the cells to red font and enter an "X" Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 12:31:47 -0400, "Spin" <Spin@invalid.com> wrote: >Gurus, > >How can I enter into an Excel spreadsheet cell something like a green check >mark or a red "X"? It worke...

Obtaining variables during a userform_initialize event
I am using the worksheet_beforedoubleclick event to open a userform. During the userform_initialize event I need to obtain value of the 'target' arguement that is referenced in the worksheet_beforedoubleclick event. How can I obtain this value? Do I need to go with a public variable? --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ It depends on how and where you are going to use the variable populated with the target.value --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

Starting x-axis at zero?
I am trying to plot some data on a line graph, and the data for th x-axis has a starting value of zero. I want the data to be plotted s that the first value is plotted right on the y-axis itself. Instead Excel moves it over to the left, and adds an extra number to the axis, which I DON'T want it to do. I tried changing this in the Scal window under Format Axis..., but it won't let me change it. Eve though the data for the x-axis starts out as zero, it still plots th first point over 1. Anyone able to help here? Thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Zach - U...

Very Slow Receive with 2 x POP3 Accounts
Hi, I'm using Microsoft Outlook 2002 SP3 to collect e-mails from a local POP3 server (not ISP). I use a single POP3 account on the server to collect e-mails but use 2 x SMTP accounts on the SMTP server (again local) to send e-mails. When I go to send an e-mail I choose which account (by clicking the Accounts drop-down button next to the Send button when composing an e-mail) I want to send it from, i.e. home or work based e-mail address. My Automatic Send/Receive is set to collect from only the one POP3 account as all incoming e-mail (whether addressed to my work or home account) g...

have a dbt in Active X
i am trying an Activex which uses CFrameWnd as its parent window. In which am splittng the Frme into two using a CSplitterWnd and loaded two views ( TestView1 have 2 edit boxes & TestView2 has 3 edit boxed )success fully. Everything works fine except focus. I searched on the net downloaded few test articles from codeguru& project.But all the artcle has the same focus problem. when my control is loaded it displays two panes of Views. i wann to set the focus to anyof the Views when i jump with tab key in my dialog. please help Jibesh hi, Just a...

Problems in the string articlexml obtained

Pivot Charting x-axis control
Could you help me control the number of characters that Pivot Charts display in the x-axis labels? I am trying to display around 23 characters and have them aligned verticly for clarity - however I always struggle to show all of the characters (Excel truncates some entries). I normally try to control this using font size and x-axis label offset but would like to better understand the process so that I can automate in future using VB ... Can you help? -- optionbase1 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ optionbase1's Profile: http://www.excelforum.co...

Does any Office X program PID check need to close a new port?
Does Microsoft Office X SR1 need to CLOSE a new port each time it checks a PID and one quits any MS program? Since installing Apple's Security Updater 7-14-03 (with OS 10.2.6), my firewall program reports the closing of a different 3000-range port immediately after quitting ANY Microsoft program. Apple's higher-tier tech support personnel had me run several procedures, including creating a new test account, to verify this was happening only with Security Updater 7-14-03. Symantec Norton Personal Firewall 3 .0 higher-tier tech support personnel said they were aware of Microsoft PID ...

Active X control
Hi All, I am trying to make a dialog based ActiveX control in VC++ using MFC. I inserted buttons, radio buttons, and a FlexGrid control in this ActiveX. But when I run this control in a client application, the control disappears. If I remove Flexgrid, the control is displayed but when I press any button on this control, program hangs. Where is it that I might be going wrong? Would highly appreciate a solution or suggestion regarding this. TestHim wrote: > Hi All, > I am trying to make a dialog based ActiveX control in VC++ > using MFC. I inserted buttons, radio buttons, and ...

x Bar and R chart
Has anyone created an x-Bar and R chart in excel. Uncle bob: I entered XBar Chart Excel and found over 9,200 references. So there is a lot out there for you to look at. There are a number of commercial add-ins if you are undertaking a major Statistical process Control (SPC) program. On the other hand, there are dozens of free downloads if your are looking for "how to" information. I have put a simple control chart "how to" on my site that may help to get you started. http://processtrends.com/pg_charts_control_chart.htm .... Kelly koday@processtrends.com &qu...

Obtaining the correct results from a two table query
I have two tables say A and B, what I am trying to achieve with the query is just to display records that have the received field ticked in table A and the colour field in table B not containing �Y�. How do I modify the code below to achieve this? SELECT A_Date, A.Received, A.ID, B. Colour FROM A LEFT JOIN B ON DDP_A.Main = B.Main WHERE (((A.Received)= -1) AND ((B.Colour <> �Y�)); jo@jo.uk wrote: >I have two tables say A and B, what I am trying to achieve with the query is >just to display records that have the received field ticked in table A and >the colo...

Printing from Word v.X
Version: v.X Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I just upgraded my computer from a PowerBook G4 to a MacMini (Intel based w/Snow Leopard). I had the store I bought the Mac from (authorized Mac folks) migrate my user data to the new computer. This included migrating my vX suite that included Word. Here's the problem: <br><br>Most of my documents from Word will not print - when I hit print, the printer (HP Office Jet Pro L7700) spits out a blank page. I've found one document, however, that will print - but I can't figure out what'...

How to obtain a median?
Hello the graphic design tool allows the user to obtain the mean of a column of numbers in a table. Is there a suggested way to obtain a median? Thank you, Keith There is nothing built in that does that. You will have to write the code to do it for you. Here is some info on the rules for calculating a median: http://www.mathsisfun.com/median.html -- Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP "Keith" wrote: > Hello > the graphic design tool allows the user to obtain the mean of a column of > numbers in a table. Is there a suggested way to obtain a median? > Thank you, &...

x axis chart problems
Good morning, (East coast time..) I am trying to create a chart with data that goes from $400,000 up to $4,000,000. The scale is defaulting to a scale that goes from 0 to 40,000. What I want to do is to have the scale display as 0, 0.5, 1.0, 1.5, etc. I've tried exverything I could think of. Can some please show me/point me in the right direction. Thanks, Glenn/drpixel ...

How do I fix a sudden problem with sending and receiving emails f.
I have been successfully using Outlook as my default email program with my SBCYahoo dsl for some months and then I was not. The only thing I can link it to, possible, is that for a short while I agreed to allow Microsoft to monitor my use of their programs. after about a week, some of the programs didn't work as well and some other problems occurred, so a uninstalled that program. what happen now is that the process times out after receiveing a few of the emails and says that "connection was interrupted"-which is impossible since I am 'always connected' via dsl...

Group Policy for Registry Permissions yielding Red X Icon on RSOP
Greetings, I'm trying to include registry permissions in my policies to lock down certain keys. Every single key I select I get a "Red X Icon" on the registry key and the error message says the following: "The policy xxxxx resulted in the following error Unknown error. Ofr more information, see %windir%\security\logs\winlogon.log on the target machine." Well winlogon.log looks perfectly fine, it isn't complaining about anything. Further, the permissions on the key did apply successfully. What gives? Hello -, Which OS version, SP/patch...

Possiblity of Two X Axis Graph
I need to compare 2008 sales against 2009 sales side by side in asingle graph. My data is given below PERIOD-09 Jan 09 Feb 09 Mar 09 Apr 09 SALES-09 2500 2550 2230 3100 PERIOD-08 Jan 08 Feb 08 Mar 08 Apr 08 SALES-08 1900 1990 2301 2900 Any solution? Fowmy Add a helper column and just display month =MONTH(SerialDate) Use that for the X axis. That may be the easiest way assuming you are only looking at a calendar year. -- HTH, Barb Reinhardt "Fowmy" wrote: > I need to compare 2008 sales against 2009 sales side by side in asingle graph. > My data is given below...

How to obtain process handle ??
I want my application obtain HANDLE to itself. How do this ?? -- __ phoenix_ phoenix_@wp.pl "phoenix" <phoenix_@wp.pl> wrote in message news:bn3pn0$28t$1@nemesis.news.tpi.pl... > I want my application obtain HANDLE to itself. How do this ?? > GetWindowThreadProcessId >I want my application obtain HANDLE to itself. How do this ?? GetCurrentProcess Dave -- MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq > GetWindowThreadProcessId The return value is the identifier of the thread that created the window!!! It is not a handle - (maybe i am wrong, but the identif...

Entourage X / Outlook (4.4.5 Insufficient disk space; try again later)
When sending an email it says: Error Mail could not be sent using account "emai". Explanation 4.4.5 Insufficient disk space; try again later Error 5452 My ibook still has 1.09 GBytes of storage and I never had this message before. ...

Where to obtain IR Blaster?
System - Vista Ultimate Hauppauge TV card Issues : Comcast conversion to digital (DTA) I used the system for basic cable access. I have the directions for installing Comcast DTA in Widows Media Center. It appears that I need a USB IR receiver for this to work. What is the product name and where can I obtain one. Thanks in advance -- ***************** John Lenz JohnLenz@comcast.net The IR blaster is an emitter, you'll need both the emitter and receiver to control the cable box. Generally, it's cheaper to just buy the remote kit that included the IR s...

Obtaining values from datafile
Hi i would like to know how to obtain values from a datafile and store it into edit controls... If i enter a particular value similar to that in a data file then i need to get all the correspnding values into other edit control ????????? (1) Open the file (2) Read a record (3) Put the values in edit controls (4) Repeat steps 2 and 3 as necessary SetWindowText works very well for putting values into edit controls. GetWindowText for retrieving them. See my essays (such as Avoiding GetDlgItem) on my MVP Tips site. You could even use UpdateData if you don't mind all the other cumbersome f...