How to get the corresponding X value for a given Y value?

I have a chart in Excel 2007 and I want to provide a Y value (that is not one
of the data points) and have Excel to tell me the corresponding X value from
the chart. How can I do that?
The chart is not a straight line, so trendline won't work
Here is a picture of the chart I'm working on
http://hkoyda.blu.livefilestore.com/y1p8aB149EOMrBPPjH7oxLQUtlTXmrhiIspRq3r8fuZBNtdjVL_9ckuCh8zH_ZKlZwXt4POp6d2ay6fhDehApx_wA/graph.JPG

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Yahya

0
Yahya (2)

Hi Yahya,

>I have a chart in Excel 2007 and I want to provide a Y value (that is not
>one
> of the data points) and have Excel to tell me the corresponding X value
> from
> the chart. How can I do that?
> The chart is not a straight line, so trendline won't work
> Here is a picture of the chart I'm working on
> http://hkoyda.blu.livefilestore.com/y1p8aB149EOMrBPPjH7oxLQUtlTXmrhiIspRq3r8fuZBNtdjVL_9ckuCh8zH_ZKlZwXt4POp6d2ay6fhDehApx_wA/graph.JPG
>
> Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.
> Yahya

You can't do that without knowing the formula for your line of best fit.

There is a sample here
http://www.edferrero.com/ExcelCharts/tabid/102/Default.aspx called 'Reading
Interpolated Values' that works for a straight line. The sample uses
click-and-drag on the chart which will not work in Excel 2007. However, you
can manually change the x-Value at cell E4 to calculate the intercept at a
particular x-Value.

Looking at your picture, I would try calculating the log of the y-Values and
charting that. If this is close enough to a straight line for your purposes,
then just use my sample to calculate the intercept. =LN() to find the log,
=EXP() to change back.

Ed Ferrero
www.edferrero.com

0
ed9314 (42)
3/2/2009 1:12:18 AM
"Ed Ferrero" <ed@edferrero.com> wrote in message
> Hi Yahya,
>
>>I have a chart in Excel 2007 and I want to provide a Y value (that is not
>>one
>> of the data points) and have Excel to tell me the corresponding X value
>> from
>> the chart. How can I do that?
>> The chart is not a straight line, so trendline won't work
>> Here is a picture of the chart I'm working on
>> http://hkoyda.blu.livefilestore.com/y1p8aB149EOMrBPPjH7oxLQUtlTXmrhiIspRq3r8fuZBNtdjVL_9ckuCh8zH_ZKlZwXt4POp6d2ay6fhDehApx_wA/graph.JPG
>>
>> Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.
>> Yahya
>
> You can't do that without knowing the formula for your line of best fit.
>
> There is a sample here
> http://www.edferrero.com/ExcelCharts/tabid/102/Default.aspx called
> 'Reading Interpolated Values' that works for a straight line. The sample
> uses click-and-drag on the chart which will not work in Excel 2007.
> However, you can manually change the x-Value at cell E4 to calculate the
> intercept at a particular x-Value.
>
> Looking at your picture, I would try calculating the log of the y-Values
> and charting that. If this is close enough to a straight line for your
> purposes, then just use my sample to calculate the intercept. =LN() to
> find the log, =EXP() to change back.

If the coordinates of the points are known, i.e., the values are in the
worksheet, then a stepwise interpolation approach can be implemented.

In general, if these are measured points, unless you know the form of the
relationship, you should refrain from using smoothed lines to connect the
points. Excel uses an arbitrary algorithm for smoothing the lines, which has
no physical bearing on the chart, and which may cause the smoothed line to
deviate substantially from a well-behaved relationship.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/
_______

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
3/2/2009 4:40:54 AM

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> "Ed Ferrero" <ed@edferrero.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Yahya,
> >
> >>I have a chart in Excel 2007 and I want to provide a Y value (that is not
> >>one
> >> of the data points) and have Excel to tell me the corresponding X value
> >> from
> >> the chart. How can I do that?
> >> The chart is not a straight line, so trendline won't work
> >> Here is a picture of the chart I'm working on
> >> http://hkoyda.blu.livefilestore.com/y1p8aB149EOMrBPPjH7oxLQUtlTXmrhiIspRq3r8fuZBNtdjVL_9ckuCh8zH_ZKlZwXt4POp6d2ay6fhDehApx_wA/graph.JPG
> >>
> >> Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.
> >> Yahya
> >
> > You can't do that without knowing the formula for your line of best fit.
> >
> > There is a sample here
> > http://www.edferrero.com/ExcelCharts/tabid/102/Default.aspx called
> > 'Reading Interpolated Values' that works for a straight line. The sample
> > uses click-and-drag on the chart which will not work in Excel 2007.
> > However, you can manually change the x-Value at cell E4 to calculate the
> > intercept at a particular x-Value.
> >
> > Looking at your picture, I would try calculating the log of the y-Values
> > and charting that. If this is close enough to a straight line for your
> > purposes, then just use my sample to calculate the intercept. =LN() to
> > find the log, =EXP() to change back.
>

> If the coordinates of the points are known, i.e., the values are in the
> worksheet, then a stepwise interpolation approach can be implemented.
>
> In general, if these are measured points, unless you know the form of the
> relationship, you should refrain from using smoothed lines to connect the
> points. Excel uses an arbitrary algorithm for smoothing the lines, which has
> no physical bearing on the chart, and which may cause the smoothed line to
> deviate substantially from a well-behaved relationship.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
> http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/
> _______
>

> Yeah I have the points coordinates, but I don't know how to do an interpolation
Here is a snapshot of my data points
http://hkoyda.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pgZrqLtEzUywZot1wKtjvEbwQZtl0v7j1OArIQLJovsDzqfsixklx2wgAK-pxgI06jaLLI9u1naBfXsjvAfVDOA/graph.JPG
0
Yahya (2)
3/2/2009 6:25:02 AM
Yahya  -

You might get a good fit using a logistic function. Use Google to search for
"excel logistic curve" (without the quote marks).

But, when possible, curve fitting should rely on knowledge about the
physical phenomenon that is being modeled. Please share what you know about
the source of the data. Such knowledge is usually important for selecting an
appropriate functional form.

-  Mike

http://www.MikeMiddleton.com

"Yahya" <Yahya@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "Jon Peltier" wrote:
>

>> "Ed Ferrero" <ed@edferrero.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi Yahya,

>> > You can't do that without knowing the formula for your line of best
>> > fit.
>> >
>> > There is a sample here
>> > http://www.edferrero.com/ExcelCharts/tabid/102/Default.aspx called
>> > 'Reading Interpolated Values' that works for a straight line. The
>> > sample
>> > uses click-and-drag on the chart which will not work in Excel 2007.
>> > However, you can manually change the x-Value at cell E4 to calculate
>> > the
>> > intercept at a particular x-Value.
>> >
>> > Looking at your picture, I would try calculating the log of the
>> > y-Values
>> > and charting that. If this is close enough to a straight line for your
>> > purposes, then just use my sample to calculate the intercept. =LN() to
>> > find the log, =EXP() to change back.
>>

>> If the coordinates of the points are known, i.e., the values are in the
>> worksheet, then a stepwise interpolation approach can be implemented.
>>
>> In general, if these are measured points, unless you know the form of the
>> relationship, you should refrain from using smoothed lines to connect the
>> points. Excel uses an arbitrary algorithm for smoothing the lines, which
>> has
>> no physical bearing on the chart, and which may cause the smoothed line
>> deviate substantially from a well-behaved relationship.
>>
>> - Jon
>> -------
>> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>> Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
>> http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/
>> _______
>>

>> Yeah I have the points coordinates, but I don't know how to do an
>> interpolation
> Here is a snapshot of my data points
> http://hkoyda.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pgZrqLtEzUywZot1wKtjvEbwQZtl0v7j1OArIQLJovsDzqfsixklx2wgAK-pxgI06jaLLI9u1naBfXsjvAfVDOA/graph.JPG

0
mike5208 (300)
3/2/2009 7:40:22 AM
Email me privately (remove TRUENORTH.) , I have a sample file to do a four
parameter fir to logistic data
Then you use Solver to back solve from x to y
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

>I have a chart in Excel 2007 and I want to provide a Y value (that is not
>one
> of the data points) and have Excel to tell me the corresponding X value
> from
> the chart. How can I do that?
> The chart is not a straight line, so trendline won't work
> Here is a picture of the chart I'm working on
> http://hkoyda.blu.livefilestore.com/y1p8aB149EOMrBPPjH7oxLQUtlTXmrhiIspRq3r8fuZBNtdjVL_9ckuCh8zH_ZKlZwXt4POp6d2ay6fhDehApx_wA/graph.JPG
>
> Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.
> Yahya

0
bliengme (657)
3/2/2009 1:19:15 PM
if you're using the "smoothed line" charting option, try this formula
with data in the range A4:B14 and an x-value in D4:

=SUM((1+1/IRR(MMULT({0,0,2,0;0,1,0,-1;-1,4,-5,2;
1,-3,3,-1},OFFSET(A4,MATCH(D4,A4:A14,-1)-2,,4)-D4
)))^-{0;1;2;3}*MMULT({0,2,0,0;-1,0,1,0;2,-5,4,-1;
-1,3,-3,1},OFFSET(B4,MATCH(D4,A4:A14,-1)-2,,4)))/2

this returns the corresponding y-value within an interior interval.

These curves are widely used in computer graphics - for more info check out
"Catmull-Rom splines". (Ed Catmull recently won an award at the Oscars!)

The curve that Excel plots makes a couple of tweaks to the textbook example:

- End intervals are calculated by extending the range at both ends i.e. using
the points (0.765,99.7) and (0.04,-3.683) in rows 3 and 15 respectively
and adjusting the ranges in the formula accordingly.

- Small intervals have a higher "tension" value which has the effect of
reducing the
overshoot. This value depends on the chart scale used, a VBA function for
this is here:

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.excel.charting/browse_thread/thread/2406846f5b6c9d29/09417169ec10d29b

"Yahya" wrote:

> I have a chart in Excel 2007 and I want to provide a Y value (that is not one
> of the data points) and have Excel to tell me the corresponding X value from
> the chart. How can I do that?
> The chart is not a straight line, so trendline won't work
> Here is a picture of the chart I'm working on
> http://hkoyda.blu.livefilestore.com/y1p8aB149EOMrBPPjH7oxLQUtlTXmrhiIspRq3r8fuZBNtdjVL_9ckuCh8zH_ZKlZwXt4POp6d2ay6fhDehApx_wA/graph.JPG
>
> Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.
> Yahya

0
LoriMiller (18)
3/4/2009 1:16:01 AM
Hi Lori, I saw several posts from you explaining how to get a
corresponding y for any x value using the Catmull-Rom spline, but I
still can't quite understand how the data should be arranged and where
the formula should go to make it work.  Can you say a little more
about that?  Thank you!

On Mar 3, 9:16=A0pm, Lori Miller <LoriMil...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> if you're using the "smoothed line" charting option, try this formula
> with data in the range A4:B14 and an x-value in D4:
>
> =3DSUM((1+1/IRR(MMULT({0,0,2,0;0,1,0,-1;-1,4,-5,2;
> 1,-3,3,-1},OFFSET(A4,MATCH(D4,A4:A14,-1)-2,,4)-D4
> )))^-{0;1;2;3}*MMULT({0,2,0,0;-1,0,1,0;2,-5,4,-1;
> -1,3,-3,1},OFFSET(B4,MATCH(D4,A4:A14,-1)-2,,4)))/2
>
> this returns the corresponding y-value within an interior interval.
>
> These curves are widely used in computer graphics - for more info check o=
ut
> "Catmull-Rom splines". (Ed Catmull recently won an award at the Oscars!)
>
> The curve that Excel plots makes a couple of tweaks to the textbook examp=
le:

> - End intervals are calculated by extending the range at both ends i.e. u=
sing
> the points (0.765,99.7) and (0.04,-3.683) in rows 3 and 15 respectively
> and adjusting the ranges in the formula accordingly.
>
> - Small intervals have a higher "tension" value which has the effect of
> reducing the
> overshoot. This value depends on the chart scale used, a VBA function for
> this is here:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.excel.charting/browse...
>
> "Yahya" wrote:
> > I have a chart in Excel 2007 and I want to provide a Y value (that is n=
ot one
> > of the data points) and have Excel to tell me the corresponding X value=
 from
> > the chart. How can I do that?
> > The chart is not a straight line, so trendline won't work
> > Here is a picture of the chart I'm working on
> >http://hkoyda.blu.livefilestore.com/y1p8aB149EOMrBPPjH7oxLQUtlTXmrhiI...
>
> > Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.
> > Yahya

OK, let's take the original data set, with data entered into the
range A4:B14 and draw an XY chart as shown in the OP.

X          Y
0.71      99.145
0.655    98.59
0.5125  97.99
0.3375  97.61
0.215    94.51
0.1525  84.21
0.1155  50.26
0.098    33.939
0.0825  27.062
0.064    9.797
0.052    3.057

DATA INTERPRETATION

The y data range lies between [0,100] and is increasing with x, and
i would guess that this is a distribution function of a statistical
sample of some kind. If so, using splines for estimation is valid and
common in the technical literature and in this case the Excel curve
looks like a reasonable approximation. (If these were measurements
subject to a degree of error however, other methods may be more
appropriate, such as regression, as mentioned by other posters.)

ESTIMATION

i. To estimate a y-value, enter the x-value in D4 and copy the formula
shown in the last post into E4.

  eg x = 0.13 -> y = 66.316

If you fix the ranges by using A$4,B$4 and A$4:A$14 in the formula you
can pull the fill handle down to create a range of x and y values.
Charting these values should match the curve that Excel plots.

ii. Actually the original post called for estimating an x-value given a
y-value which can be done with the same formula but just switching X with
Y ie by interchanging A's and B's in the formula.

  eg y = 0.5 -> x = 0.115

Also the values are arranged in descending order, often data would be
arranged ascending so that 1 instead of -1 is used in the MATCH function.

ADDITIONAL NOTES

i. Note that these types of curve (cardinal splines) do not assign
values to end intervals. The method Excel uses to plot these intervals
is equivalent to adding an extra data point at each end. You can do this
by selecting the range A4:B5 and dragging the fill handle up to row 3
and then selecting A13:B14 and dragging down to row 15, this should give
the same values as before, and the formula result should now match the curve

  eg x = 0.06 -> y = 7.047

ii. The tension adjustment that Excel uses is only noticable when points
are sufficiently irregularly spaced which is not the case here.
Specifically, if the distance between neighbouring points is less than
a third the distance between correspopnding alternate points (as
measured on the chart) a proportional tension adjustment is made.
This is accounted for in the Chartcurve UDF.

On Mar 3, 9:16 pm, Lori Miller <LoriMil...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> if you're using the "smoothed line" charting option, try this formula
> with data in the range A4:B14 and an x-value in D4:
>
> =SUM((1+1/IRR(MMULT({0,0,2,0;0,1,0,-1;-1,4,-5,2;
> 1,-3,3,-1},OFFSET(A4,MATCH(D4,A4:A14,-1)-2,,4)-D4
> )))^-{0;1;2;3}*MMULT({0,2,0,0;-1,0,1,0;2,-5,4,-1;
> -1,3,-3,1},OFFSET(B4,MATCH(D4,A4:A14,-1)-2,,4)))/2
>
> this returns the corresponding y-value within an interior interval.
>
> These curves are widely used in computer graphics - for more info check
> out
> "Catmull-Rom splines". (Ed Catmull recently won an award at the Oscars!)
>
> The curve that Excel plots makes a couple of tweaks to the textbook
> example:
>
> - End intervals are calculated by extending the range at both ends i.e.
> using
> the points (0.765,99.7) and (0.04,-3.683) in rows 3 and 15 respectively
> and adjusting the ranges in the formula accordingly.
>
> - Small intervals have a higher "tension" value which has the effect of
> reducing the
> overshoot. This value depends on the chart scale used, a VBA function for
> this is here:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.excel.charting/browse...
>
> "Yahya" wrote:
> > I have a chart in Excel 2007 and I want to provide a Y value (that is
> > not one
> > of the data points) and have Excel to tell me the corresponding X value
> > from
> > the chart. How can I do that?
> > The chart is not a straight line, so trendline won't work
> > Here is a picture of the chart I'm working on
> >http://hkoyda.blu.livefilestore.com/y1p8aB149EOMrBPPjH7oxLQUtlTXmrhiI...
>
> > Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.
> > Yahya

1
LoriMiller (18)
3/27/2009 1:26:59 AM
<kim.lindsey.DeleteThis@gmail.com> wrote in message
http://help.lockergnome.com/office/default--ftopict1005590.html
>Hey this really works! I sincerely appreciate the hand-holding youve
>offered me here. I have been trying to figure out a good way to do this for
>some time and I think your method will work very nicely for me. Thank you!

Glad it worked for you - don't know why these replies are dropping out?

I spent a long while figuring this out too. I'd initially been using goal
seek
with a parameter value but then realised you could make use of the IRR
function to solve the cubic eqn. It seemed to work in my test scenarios.

0
LoriMiller (18)

Insert duplicate rows based on numeric value in column
Is there a way to insert new duplicate rows in an excel worksheet based on a value in a column? For example I have 2 columns as follows Place Number London 3 Paris 5 Lisbon 2 France 2 I want to achieve the following Place Number London 3 London 3 London 3 Paris 5 Paris 5 Paris 5 Paris 5 Paris 5 Lisbon 2 Lisbon 2...and so on So I basically want the first column and its value repeated the number of times specified by the associated value in the Number column. I hope that makes sense. I hope someone can help as this is driving me nuts and I a...

How to get the Range the Graph builds upon?
Hi, I have tried and tried to get the first and last cell from the Range the Graph/Chart is built upon without any luck. Can I do that from code? I´m using Excel 2000 Pro cya, /PatrikB See John Walkenbach's http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/tips/tip83.htm --=20 Regards, Tushar Mehta, MS MVP -- Excel www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials Custom MS Office productivity solutions In article <A9F5681D-C6F9-42F8-8BD0-02E090915102@microsoft.com>,=20 anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com says... > Hi, >=20 > I have tried and tried to get the first an...

How do I get the current ROW location.
Hi, Trying to find out the current row location. Tried startRow = cell("row") Tried startRow = ActiveCell.rows.address() - But this returns the column and row in $A$1 format. I just want startRow = CurrentRow (or something like this). Cheers Craig. Hi Craig startrow = activecell.row Cheers JulieD "Craig & Co." <crb@amsa.gov.au> wrote in message news:417c6ad0$0$41946$c30e37c6@ken-reader.news.telstra.net... > Hi, > > Trying to find out the current row location. > > Tried startRow = cell("row") > Tried startRow = ActiveCell.rows...

How to prevent other apps. from getting focus?
Hello everyone, The WebICQ applet gains focus everytime a message comes, it's extremely disturbing expecially when I am typing. I want to write a VC++ utility to stop any (background) app from gaining focus. I have no idea on how to do so yet. Could anyone let me know if there is any online material about how "Window Focus" work, or give me some hints on the programming. Thank you in advance! Raymond ...

trying to get day/month/year froamt while user enters year only
I am trying to get the end user to enter the year in question and then have the document return values in column A in dd/mmm/yyyy format and column B in Day of week format for all days in that year You would just use something like =DATE(2006,1,ROW()) copied down, but I am not clear where the year number is stored, and when the flip to column B happens. -- HTH Bob Phillips (replace somewhere in email address with gmail if mailing direct) "RADIOOZ" <RADIOOZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5A7C3C6F-8AEE-487F-8ADF-62F2234C3858@microsoft.com... > I ...

Problem with Outlook Task Reminder-Parameter Values are not valid
I have Outlook 2003 and have a problem that started around 3 days ago. I had a reminder in my task list and erased it. WEll I have done this frequently but something went wrong this time. Now whenever I open Outlook it comes up with this reminder. I immediately select to dismiss it and it says "Cannot turn off the reminder. You may be reminded Again. Could not complete the operation. One or more parameter values are not valid." I just select okay but this comes up every time I go into this program. Yet when I go into my task list that task does not appear. Any idea how I can ...

Cannot Get Email
I haven't been able to get on my Outlook Express email for weeks. This keeps popping up in the "send/recieve" bar. The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'shawmail', Server: '127.0.0.1', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 5101, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E Please help. This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000 & 2002 from the Office family for Windows PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x microsoft.public.window...

Is it possible to get back deleted emails?
A few weeks ago I replied to an email I'd received I then inadvertently deleted my reply from the Sent Items folder. I also empty my deleted items folder quite often. Is there anyway that I can retrieve my reply? John not unless you make the attempt as soon as you emptied the deleted folder. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http...

Office v. X updates
During my installation of Office v. X 10.1.2 update, the message "An error prevented the update from completing 11002;2,-14" appeared, I could not proceed. Does anyone have suggestions what I should do? Thanks. On 2/13/04 1:22 PM, in article f8eb01c3f277$7e0da7c0$a301280a@phx.gbl, "zj" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > During my installation of Office v. X 10.1.2 update, the > message "An error prevented the update from completing > 11002;2,-14" appeared, I could not proceed. Does anyone > have suggestions what I should do? A...

offsetting Secondary Axes to a cell value
Hi. Here is what i am trying to do. I am trying to create a spreadsheet that will help me graphically display the relationship between Physical harddrive space available and proposed Data chunks allocatted to a particular partition At the moment I am doing it by: Partion1+Partition2...Partion4=TotalDiskSizeAvailable(TDSA) Stacked bar Chart shows each partition up to my TDSA...cool I have created another series that shows the data chunks in a stacked bar chart on a secondary axes.... but i would like it to start from the end of Partition1 aligning with beginning of Partition2(where the dat...

Reliable way to get window underneath mine?
What is a reliable way to get the window underneath mine? Say that my window is "Window A"... "Window A" is being dragged around the screen by its title bar. The mouse cursor is at x,y. I need to know if I can drop it on the window thats at x,y (not counting "Window A"). So I need to get this window handle somehow. WindowFromPoint() obviously gets "Window A". I'd rather not enumerate all the windows since that seems like a performance issue. Thanks. Somebody wrote: > What is a reliable way to get the window underneath mine? > > Say tha...

Reference cell values from other sheets in a function
I am trying to do something that seems like it would be quite simple, and yet I cannot get it to work. I have some data in separate work sheets (one sheet for each month), and a yearly summary sheet. I have a DAVERAGE function in each month. I am trying to take that DAVERAGE on each monthly sheet and make an AVERAGE function in the year summary page referencing each DAVERAGE cell on the monthly sheets. I enter =AVERAGE( into the cell and click over to the other sheets where I need to pull the info from. I click on the DAVERAGE cell that I need to reference in the yearly AVERAGE fu...

Return a value when Date x is between Date y and z
Hi, I have a table something like this: A B C 1 From To Result 2 01/07/2009 01/07/2010 0-1 3 01/07/2010 01/07/2011 1-2 4 01/07/2011 01/07/2012 2-3 5 01/07/2012 01/07/2013 3-4 In another column (X) I have a list of Dates and I want return the "result" from the row where the date lies between. So for example in X3 I have 16/10/2011 and I can see this date is between the 2 dates in row 4 in the table above so I want to return "2-3" I've tried an array formula ...

layout help-creating 2 pages on 8 1/2 x 11 paper for booklet
I am new to Publisher, so bear with me.... I am trying to create a booklet using 8 1/2 x 11 paper in positioned in landscape position. I would like to get 2 pages on one piece of paper, but with the text in a portrait position, if that makes sense. Can anyone guide me? Thanks. -- Lauren When you setup your publication as a booklet, the pages are presented in the correct order automatically. The half pages will be portrait. Have you tried to setup a booklet? If you have, what problems are you experiencing? -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.or...

Find the maximum value in a row or column with text and numbers
would someone be able to help me out in finding the maximum value in a row or column containing letters and numbers. letters in this case would be a lower value compare to the numbers. for example in a row: A B C D <- returns the value D as max A B 0 1 <- returns the value 1 as max thanks for A B C D use array-entered (i.e. insert the formula with CTRL+SHIFT +ENTER): =CHAR(MAX(CODE(A1:D1))) for A B 0 1 use: =MAX(A1:D1) On 17 Lis, 09:26, bengles <beng...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > would someone be able to help me out in finding the...

Keyboard shortcut won't copy zero text value?
I'm using XL2003. According to the Help file for Keyboard Shortcuts, Ctrl+" copies the value of the cell above into the active cell. The value I'm trying to copy is '0.0 (apostrophe+"0.0", since the sheet is set to not display zero values, so I use the ' to make the zero value display). The "0.0" shows up when I hit the keystroke, but disappears as soon as I hit enter. Is there a different keystroke for this function that will accomplish this? Ed Ctrl + d will keep the text format -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Ed from AZ" <prof_ofw...

Windows Explorer: How to get it to expand like I want?
WinXP Pro SP3 When in Windows Explorer, I expand a folders branch using the + sign next to the folders name in the Folders pane. Then I do this to another folders branch using the same technique. I want them both to remain expanded, but when I click on one of the folders in the branch, the other branch closes. I want them both to remain open while I inspect the contents of one of the branch's folders. Is there a way to make it do what I want? TIA Question is what caused this to change? What you ask for is normal behavior. Perhaps you can System Restore to time before it b...

Why in IE 8 Cookie gets updated after disabling cookie status?
Need to know is this a bug or I am missing anything? Here are the details • What I am trying to do? I need to write a cookie for my web application. If cookies are enabled then my application cookie content will get updated else it is not. • How I am doing it? This is done programmatically using .net framework 3.5, C# and IIS 7. • What is happening as a result? Even after disabling cookies in IE 8 on client machine, the cookie is getting written on the client machine. • How often is this problem happening? Always, every time I start the application and load the page w...

Hep Requested: Getting Started Again
I've recently had to rebuild my PC as a result of which I've reinstalled Visual Studio 2008 and finally reinstalled the CRM SDK. However when I attempt to start a new Workflow project I'm having some problems... I've added references to Microsoft.Crm.Sdk and Microsoft.Crm.SdkTypeProxy to my project, however when I attempt to declare these in my classes: using Microsoft.Crm.Sdk; It's as if I havn't added the references. Can anyone refresh my memory as to what I need to do in order to get my environment back up and working because at the moment I'm at a dead end. -...

How do I extract sales tax from a given figure into a new cell?
I am creating a spreadsheet to show how much sales tax I need to repay myself. I own a business and am trying to create a spreadsheet to show my full deposit and it will break down the sales tax paid with that deposit. I am unable to come up with a formula to do this. Help! say you deposited 107 and the sales tax rate is 7% then =107/1.07 will give you the sales tax portion of your deposit If your deposit is in cell A1 then =A1/1.07 I "Elite Achiever" <Elite Achiever@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6FADF52C-7E35-4A1D-AA2B-ACBA7DF90551@microsoft.com...

Sum of values in a form
Folks, I have read numerous threads on this topic, and understand that in order for my Sum() to work I need t ensure all references are made back to the Record Source. I have endeavoured to do this, but am still getting #Error. I am trying to Sum the revenue each tenant provides in a given date range, to give a total revenue figure. If the date range is a whole month, then the expression just takes the value of Rent PCM, and not Rent PCM * No. of Days, which would give some unusual results. My Expression looks like this: =Sum(Nz(IIf([Short Let]=-1,[Rent pcm],IIf(Day([Forms]...

Select value in query
I have the following sample field & data in one table MyValue Value1 Value2 Value3 100 20 30 90 200 null 210 150 My goals here is to divide myvalue with either value1 or value2 or value3 whichever is higher. e.g in line one 100/90 and 200/210 in line two. how to create the expression in my query thanks On Thu, 4 Feb 2010 05:26:01 -0800, zyus <zyus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: select MyValue/ iif(v1 > v2, iif(v1 > v3, v1, v3),iif(v2>v3,v2,v3)) Because you have nulls, you may ...

Secdonary X axis
I am creating a XY Scatter plot with two different data sets. I want the two different data seta on two different x-axis. How can I do this? Hi, In order to use a secondary xaxis you will need to move one of the data series to the secondary y axis first. To do this double click one of the data series and on the scale tab choose secondary axis. After closing that dialog right click the right and choose Chart Options. On the axis tab you should now be able to select secondary x axis. You can disable the secondary Y axis if needed. Cheers Andy Brian wrote: > I am creating a XY Scatte...

Can I get my money back?
Looks like others are having the same crash course in outlook as I am having and not many seem to know what is going on. Crash and burn this MS crap and get the free stuff and I'll give away this useless SW and post the code and see if anyone else wants free what I paid good money for. Why the hell should I spend any more of my time on this when I already tossed my money down the toilet. Thank you for posting an aimless rant. Did you have a question? -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "George Forum" <GeorgeForumNOSPAM@xemaps.com> wrote in message news:uasGHriGGHA.37...

Return value(s) from functions
I am curious to know if there is a guideline or defacto standard for return values that indicate success and fail. I am working with an SDK that, on success, returns 0 for some calls and returns 1 on others. In fact, some return -1 for fail. In C++, MFC, etc. some calls will return a 1 or 0 and then you use get last error or something similar to get more info. However, for most user written code I don't see that so much. Historically, in the embedded, non-windows world, my thought process was there is usually only one way it can go right and many ways it can go wrong. Therefore, I...