How to enter a moon phase series into Excel??

I'm a biologist working with some circadian rhythm data. I need to be able
to make a chart in excel where the X axis is dates, with correct phases of
the moon for each phase. What is the easiest way to get moon phase series
into an excel sheet?

--

Mike Levin
mlevin77@comcast.net

0
mlevin77 (6)

Hi Michael,

For your purposes, you can approximate the phase of the moon using a formula
like:
=COS(RADIANS(360/29.530588*(ROW()-1+n)))
where a starting date at the full moon is on row 1 and 'n' is the expired
proportion of the day when the full moon occurred (eg 1am = 0.041667, 12
noon = 0.5). Then copy down for as many rows as needed. If you chart this
against the dates, you'll see a sine wave, where 1s are full moons -1s are
new moons and 0s are half-moons. If your starting time & date start on a row
other than row 1, change the '1' in the formula to match.

You will note that I said 'approximate'. That is because lunar cycles are
not exactly 29.530588 days each, but only average something close to that
value.

Cheers

"Michael Levin" <mlevin77@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I'm a biologist working with some circadian rhythm data. I need to be able
> to make a chart in excel where the X axis is dates, with correct phases of
> the moon for each phase. What is the easiest way to get moon phase series
> into an excel sheet?
>
> --
>
> Mike Levin
> mlevin77@comcast.net

---

macropod (18)

Why is Actual Work updated when entering time into Work Field?
We're using MS Project 2007 and seeing that sometimes when time is entered into the Work field for a task, that task's Actual Work is updated to the same value entered in the Work field. This happens to multiple resources, but only on some of their tasks and not on others. For example, for the weeks of 1/24 and 1/31, whatever hours I schedule (enter in the "work" cell in the Resource Usage View) for a given task also appears in the "actual" cell. The tasks are setup up differently. Some are Fixed Work, some are Fixed Duration. I believe all have the e...

Excel, horizontal scroll bar and sheets not accessable anymore
I'm using Excel 2000 on Windows XP. After several years use for book keeping the horizontal scroll bar and the numbered sheet tabs have disappeared. Once after re-starting the computer they reappeared but that no longer works. Under Tools, Options, the boxes for show scroll bar and sheets are ticked. Hi does this happen only for one single file or for all Excel files? -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Cassandra wrote: > I'm using Excel 2000 on Windows XP. After several years use for book > keeping the horizontal scroll bar and the numbered sheet tabs have > disa...

import address to excel
Processor: Intel I want to import my yahoo mail contacts to an excel spread sheet so that I can print address labels. How do I do this? When I tried, I could only do csv file and this would not translate properly to excel. If it is a correct CSV file, Excel will open it straight up. Save it as an Excel workbook before you try to use it. To help you more, you need to tell us -- in great detail, what you are using and what you mean by "properly". We need the three digits of your software version for both Apple OS X and Excel, otherwise we can't help you. You get ...

Change chart type in single data series, Excel 2007
I can't get it to change the chart type on a single data series in the new Excel 2007. The "change chart type" is grayed out. Thank you, What kind of chart is it? If it's a 3D chart, you can't change only one series. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "momof3" <momof3@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F78063A1-DB29-4081-B909-BDA99F2DEBFD@microsoft.com... >I can't get it to change the chart type on a single data series ...

copying from Word to Excel
I am trying to copy a line of data from a Word document into an Excel cell. When doing so it is configured incorrectly. In the box where normally you would find the cell address such as B58, it says OLE-LINK2 and I can't seem to remove it. Does anyone know what this is? Hi if you don't need a link just copy the data in Word and insert it with 'Edit - Paste special' (and choose something like 'Text only') -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "ann" <ann@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:0F296D6C-CAB1-4A41-8E96-89EB94E4C53C...

Launching Excel
Hi Until recently clicking an excel file has caused Excel to launch and the file to be displayed. Now, Excel launches, but the file does not. You have to find the file by the file menu. How do I get the previous functionality back? Thanks Orion Ado First try the standard fix(es)......Tools>Options>General uncheck "ignore other applications" OR Start>Run "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes and note the space before the / mark). You may have to enter your full path to excel.exe....in that case surround with quotes as in..... "C:\mypath\to Excel\somewher...

how can I creat venn diagram using Excel?
I want to analysis data using excel. my idea is to find tht overlaping between different groups. How can I find the overlaping among differnt groups using Excel? I think Venn diagram will do such job but how to do that with Excel. thanks Consider simulating a Venn diagram with a Bubble chart. You will have to devise a scheme to specify the location (X,Y coordinates) and the size of each bubble to get the desired effect. -- Regards, Tushar Mehta www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials Custom MS Office productivity solutions In article <00499137-A889-4ABB...

Excel 2003 spreadsheet. I enter the any number and it is entered.
If I enter a number into a cell it is put in like a decimal. For example, if I enter 10 it is put in as .1 500 is entered as a 5 Thank you Mary Mary, Goto Tools>Options and on the Edit tab you should see The Fixed Decimal Places box checked. Uncheck it. -- HTH RP "maryu" <maryu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:65C0E0FB-43F3-4F34-8A86-FBA3F02EC9B1@microsoft.com... > If I enter a number into a cell it is put in like a decimal. For example, if > I enter 10 it is put in as .1 500 is entered as a 5 > Thank you > Mary ...

To stop Excel from opening many workbooks at startup
Excel opens many workbooks on its own, whenever I invoke Excel for the first time. How can this be stopped, so that Excel opens with "Book1" Regards, -- Manager, International Private Banking, International Banking Group, ICICI Bank East Wing 8th floor South, ICICI Towers, Bandra Kurla Complex, Mumbai India 400051 You could have tons of files in your XLStart folder or you could be telling excel to open all the files in another folder. Tools|options|General Tab "at startup, open all files in:" <xl2002+ wording> "Alternate Startup File location" &...

ASP.NET & Excel Rpt
Hello there, We've currently got a reporting module built in VB6 that creates reports directly in MS Excel format by directly opening the excel application ,then creating line by line of data and charting, all with vb calls. This works well but of course required Excel to be installed on the machine. We're now going to turn this into a web application, and are hoping to simply change the interface and call all of the same code which will be placed in a DLL. My question is, does anyone know of any potential issues with installing MS Excel on an ASP web server? Is th...

Excel Closes all open excel files when I close one
If I double-click 3 different .xls files to open 3 different excel applictions, I find that they all close at the some time when I close one of the windows. I am closing the windows by clicking the "X" in the upper right corner. I am using Excel 2002 sp2. ...

Filter records by date in subform by date entered in mainform.
Hello, I've spent 3 days trying to understand what I'm doing wrong.....Here is the summary of my problem. I have a form named 'frm_EfficiencyStats' and a subform within the form named 'qry_Total hours subform' (the subform is based on a query). The form contains a text box (for date) which is bound to a table 'tbl_EfficiencyStats'. I would like to be able to enter a date in the text box on my form, and display the records in the subform based on the date I entered in the text box. The subform will only pull records from my table based on the date. Here are th...

Excel 2003 - VBA
Hi Guys: I'm drawing a blank and need some help. I have a table with row 3 containing sheet names (currently pointing at 106 sheets). In rows 4-250 I want to put formulas that will look for something (located in Column B) in each of the sheets named in row 3. The first cell in the target sheet contains the last row with valid data. Example: Cell "D3" = P02-05 Cell "B5" = 123456789IBM In cell "D5" I want to generate a formula that will look in sheet P02-05, search for the contents of "B5" throughout the sheet and return the Value in colum...

Display Worksheet in Excel File
I want to Display the worksheet name on the Excel Spreadsheet itself. ie. On Worksheet1, Cell A1 = Worksheet1 How do I do this without having C:\Desktop\Book1.xls\Worksheet1?? "Rowf" <Rowf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D5E8504E-FE17-4DBF-B7C8-DD65C102383B@microsoft.com... > I want to Display the worksheet name on the Excel Spreadsheet itself. > > ie. On Worksheet1, Cell A1 = Worksheet1 > > How do I do this without having C:\Desktop\Book1.xls\Worksheet1?? You have to make a User Defined Function. Start the Visual Basic Editor, insert a new ...

Networkdays in Excel 2000
I just got a new computer at work with Excel 2000 installed. However the networkday function isn't in the list of functions and now m formulas don't work. Has this happened with anyone else -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com It is included in the analysis toolpack addin. Go to the Tools Menu an select Add Ins. Then check Analysis toolpack and hit OK. It should no work. -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Beautiful!!! Thanks much stay_c http://raspberry-latte.blogspot.co -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Excel Worksheet Change Event in a nick of time
1. Enter an Excel worksheet ; To Define Name > "TagNumber" > ReferTo := D2. 2. Intention ; After TagNumber is updated (in a Change Event), the focus would move to the adjacent cell to the right, Offset(0,1). 3. And therefore, the event procedure is devised as follows ;- Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) If ActiveCell.Address = Range("TagNumber").Address Then Range("TagNumber").Offset(0, 1).Activate End If End Sub 4. However, at run-time ; As soon as Tagnumber is activated, the focus shifts to the adjacent cell to the right alrea...

how to enter simple list and sum
using excel 2002 with an xp sp2 system how would I enter a simple list of positive and negative numbers and then create a cell with the sum of these values? if the list would look like this 0.58 -1.22 1.79 -0.56 -0.92 the output would look something like 0.58 0.58 -1.22 -0.64 1.79 1.15 -0.56 0.59 -0.92 -0.33 John In B1 enter =A1 In B2 enter =B1+A2 Copy down to B5 Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Wed, 16 May 2007 06:34:13 +0300, "John" <johnj@multipl.es> wrote: >using excel 2002 with an xp sp2 system >how would I enter a simple list of positive and negative...

Resource Units for Tasks entered in PWA differs than tasks entered in Project 2007
Hello, I have an ePM user asking why if he enters a project task in PWA does it not check the resource max units allocation the same way as when he enters a task in Project Professional. For example: You have a project where resource A is 50% allocated. When you create a task in Project Professional for this resource, the resource allocation is set to 50%. Create a task under the same project in PWA, submit and approve the task. Open project professional and view the task information for the task entered in PWA, why is the resource allocation set to 100% instead of 50% set for th...

Open Excel worksheet within PP slide
I am trying to create a slide in a PowerPoint presentation fo management featuring a stationary Excel graph and a frame within th same slide displaying the actual Excel data set that can be scrolle through in that frame. Does anyone know what VBA code I could use t display a worksheet data set in the slide itself? There is a lot o data, necessitating the need for a scroll bar in the frame. Linking th Excel data into the slide by conventional methods will not work becaus there is so much data it would not fit on the slide. I just need small frame above the graph in which the Excel data can be...

excel won't open file
I have a customer who has office 2000 and has done all the updates. when he clicks on a file .xls excel opens but the file does not. no blank document just excel but empty. any help???? Please??? From a previous post: === my first question is: Are you sure the workbook is open? Try window|Arrange|tiled If it shows up, resize by hand and save the workbook. If it didn't show up, Try window|unhide if it appears then, save the workbook. If it really wasn't open, but you can open it via File|Open, Close Excel and Windows Start Button|Run excel /unregserver then Windows Star...

more than one set of data labels per series?
Hi - I have a vertical bar chart. One of the bars is a "followup" score. I have used data labeling (xy data labeler or j-walk chart tools) to label the series "followup score" at the bottom of the bar, with the actual percentages. what i would like to do is add a P value at the top of that bar. that seems to entail creating another set of labels, that would run "outside end" (over the top of) the follow-up bar, which now has another data label at the bottom center of the bar. when i try to create more labels, it overwrites the other labels for the series.. is t...

Enter formula by code.
Hi All can anyone help. I cant seem to get this to work. I keep getting run time error 1004 application or object defined error. Public Sub TLIdentify() finalrow = Worksheets("INV Bookings").Range("B65536").End(xlUp).Row Worksheets("INV Bookings").Range("AV26:AV" & finalrow).FormulaR1C1 = "=IF(OR(RC[-38]>0,RC[-32]>0,RC[-26]>0,RC[-20]>0,RC[-14]>0,RC[-8]>0,RC[-2]>0),VLOOKUP(RC4,'Team Summary'!R4C3:R16C4,2,0),"")" End Sub -- Regards and Thanks for any assistance. Francis Brown...

autofilled on excel
How do you get autofill to work. I'm following the directions and nothing is happening!!! Hi Susan, What is in the initial cell< and are you filling down or across? Regards - Dave. Oops, ignore the < thingie. ...

Excel 2002
Hello. I am having problems filtering out phone numbers starting with 230745* in a column. I can filter out text but not numbers. Any ideas? If the entries truly are numbers, and assuming they are 10 digit numbers, then you need to use one criteria of >=2307450000 and another of <=2307459999 "Mike Faulkner" wrote: > Hello. I am having problems filtering out phone numbers starting with 230745* > in a column. I can filter out text but not numbers. Any ideas? I found this solution: Autofilter doesn't work with digits as if they were other characters (e.g. l...

Fill Series Across Multiple Workbooks
Hi all, Am attempting to reference data from one workbook to another, whilst this is straightforward in itself I would like to be able to "fill" across in a series fashion i.e. incrementing the columb letter everytime. Is this possible? Doing it mannually is becoming very tedious!! Any help would be great. Thanks -- DangerMouse ------------------------------------------------------------------------ DangerMouse's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27755 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=472637 Hi If...