How to draw a line on a chart, and have it move with the chart?

I am able to draw simple, colored lines on a chart, but when I move the
chart, as I do every week to accomodate new data on the page, the lines stay
where they were originally drawn.  In other words, the lines seem attached to
the undelying worksheet, not to the chart itself.  Is there a way to draw
lines that are attached to the chart?

Thanks in advance for any help.
0
manxman (7)

Manxman:

To attach a line to a chart, first select the chart. you know it's selected
when solid squares show up on edge of chart box.

Now you can draw your line and Excel will place in chart.

If you don't select chart first, Excel places on worksheet, not chart.

I have simple tutorials that show you how to add vertical, horizontal lines
that can be updated and will automatically adjust as your data changes. You
may want to check this post.

http://processtrends.com/pg_charts_horizontal_line.htm

Kelly

koday@processtrends.com

"manxman" <manxman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am able to draw simple, colored lines on a chart, but when I move the
> chart, as I do every week to accomodate new data on the page, the lines
> stay
> where they were originally drawn.  In other words, the lines seem attached
> the undelying worksheet, not to the chart itself.  Is there a way to draw
> lines that are attached to the chart?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.

0
dkod (205)
6/9/2006 4:58:58 PM
I love it when it's simple.  Thank you Kelley.  Your website looks great, but
what I'm doing here is simply adding a handdrawn colored line, the eqivilent
of a note.

"Kelly O'Day" wrote:

> Manxman:
>
> To attach a line to a chart, first select the chart. you know it's selected
> when solid squares show up on edge of chart box.
>
> Now you can draw your line and Excel will place in chart.
>
> If you don't select chart first, Excel places on worksheet, not chart.
>
> I have simple tutorials that show you how to add vertical, horizontal lines
> that can be updated and will automatically adjust as your data changes. You
> may want to check this post.
>
> http://processtrends.com/pg_charts_horizontal_line.htm
>
> Kelly
>
> koday@processtrends.com
>

> "manxman" <manxman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am able to draw simple, colored lines on a chart, but when I move the
> > chart, as I do every week to accomodate new data on the page, the lines
> > stay
> > where they were originally drawn.  In other words, the lines seem attached
> > the undelying worksheet, not to the chart itself.  Is there a way to draw
> > lines that are attached to the chart?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any help.

0
manxman (7)
6/9/2006 5:35:01 PM
Hi Kelly,

I am having the same issue - but I am not able to complete the Horizontal
Line.

I set the data up as you stated in your tutorial - in my case I have a month
worth of data showing daily population on the chart. I want a horizontal line
that states that  the Maximum # of inmates to be 513 - when I put in the
Horizontal Line data and follow your instructions it only puts in 2 days
worth of data at 513?

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

"Kelly O'Day" wrote:

> Manxman:
>
> To attach a line to a chart, first select the chart. you know it's selected
> when solid squares show up on edge of chart box.
>
> Now you can draw your line and Excel will place in chart.
>
> If you don't select chart first, Excel places on worksheet, not chart.
>
> I have simple tutorials that show you how to add vertical, horizontal lines
> that can be updated and will automatically adjust as your data changes. You
> may want to check this post.
>
> http://processtrends.com/pg_charts_horizontal_line.htm
>
> Kelly
>
> koday@processtrends.com
>

> "manxman" <manxman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am able to draw simple, colored lines on a chart, but when I move the
> > chart, as I do every week to accomodate new data on the page, the lines
> > stay
> > where they were originally drawn.  In other words, the lines seem attached
> > the undelying worksheet, not to the chart itself.  Is there a way to draw
> > lines that are attached to the chart?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any help.

0
Gladys (25)
9/26/2006 1:42:01 PM
Hi,

Sounds like you are not using a xy scatter chart so only the first 2
categories are being filled.

Depending on the rest of your data you can do one of the following;

- change chart type to xy-scatter
- change axis type to Time Series
- use the max value for each of the data points you already have

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

if you send me your workbook, I'll set up the horizontal line.

be sure to correct my anti-spam e-mail address be removing extra characters.

kodayy@processtrends.com**remove_these**

...Kelly

"Gladys" <Gladys@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Kelly,
>
> I am having the same issue - but I am not able to complete the Horizontal
> Line.
>
> I set the data up as you stated in your tutorial - in my case I have a
> month
> worth of data showing daily population on the chart. I want a horizontal
> line
> that states that  the Maximum # of inmates to be 513 - when I put in the
> Horizontal Line data and follow your instructions it only puts in 2 days
> worth of data at 513?
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> Thanks
>
> "Kelly O'Day" wrote:
>
>> Manxman:
>>
>> To attach a line to a chart, first select the chart. you know it's
>> selected
>> when solid squares show up on edge of chart box.
>>
>> Now you can draw your line and Excel will place in chart.
>>
>> If you don't select chart first, Excel places on worksheet, not chart.
>>
>> I have simple tutorials that show you how to add vertical, horizontal
>> lines
>> that can be updated and will automatically adjust as your data changes.
>> You
>> may want to check this post.
>>
>> http://processtrends.com/pg_charts_horizontal_line.htm
>>
>> Kelly
>>
>> koday@processtrends.com
>>

>> "manxman" <manxman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am able to draw simple, colored lines on a chart, but when I move the
>> > chart, as I do every week to accomodate new data on the page, the lines
>> > stay
>> > where they were originally drawn.  In other words, the lines seem
>> > attached
>> > the undelying worksheet, not to the chart itself.  Is there a way to
>> > draw
>> > lines that are attached to the chart?
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance for any help.

0
dkod (205)

How do I move the sent file from live.com to Outlook 2007?
I just had to reinstall windows and I thought I had backed up everything in Outlook before I did, but somehow the Sent Files weren't complete. They are all online on my hotmail account and I want to get them into outlook 2007. In OL2007, I occasionally get a sign at the lower left saying it's trying to download, but it's currently at 20 out of some number of thousands, and it only intermittently shows up. I have a very fast internet connection which is in good shape, am running Vista Ultimate 64. Thank you. I've been working on this problem for three days. ...

formatting chart legends
I am trying to italicise only part of a series name in the legend of a chart. For example if the series name is "A. glabrate flowers", then "A. glabrata" should be italicised in the legend (as it's the name of a species), but "flowers" should be normal text. I can't seem to be able to do this. Is it possible ? Only with a 'work around' Click the chart and type A. glabrate flowers. This makes a text box and you can format individual letters in it. You must now double click the box border and format dialog give the box the same background colo...

Virus Scan Stops Archive/Move
We have McAfee Groupshield running on Exchange 5.5 server. When users try to move or archive old messages, more than just a few at a time, it generates errors, due to a timeout because it is trying to re-scan the messages with the new virus definitions. I've tried enabling background scanning and increasing the timeout, but it doesn't help much. My question is, if I change the scan method from AVAPi, or MAPI, to ESE- direct message store scanning, will that fix it? I dont' want to just change the method because I'm not sure what ESE scanning will do. On Wed, 29 Jun 2...

Bell Curve Chart
I have 2 columns of data - see below. My boss wants me to create a bell curve chart, but if I use the chart wizard and select "Line" from the Standard Types tab then my chart has steep angles. I reviewed Article 213930 "How To Create A Bell Curve Chart" - 4 pages of complicated how to's and got hung up on the first page. Can anyone provide me with some easy to follow instructions? A-1 11 A-2 16 A-3 23 B-1 60 B-2 32 B-3 18 C-1 9 C-2 4 C-3 2 Try using an XY chart with smoothed lines. As for creating a Bell Curve Chart - those are the simples...

Insert Lines
I have a worksheet sent to me with over 700 names on it. I need to put 4 extra lines under each name. Is there a way to do this without having to individually insert those lines as this will take a long time. Thanks. On Apr 29, 9:29=EF=BF=BDpm, RENEE <RE...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have a worksheet sent to me with over 700 names on it. =EF=BF=BDI need = to put 4 > extra lines under each name. =EF=BF=BDIs there a way to do this without h= aving to > individually insert those lines as this will take a long time. =EF=BF=BDT= hanks. Output as CSV Open...

modify series data by changing chart lines?
I would like to change series data in a spreadsheet that has been line charted by manipulating the chart lines or trend-lines. Is that possible in Excel? Thanks for any help. ...

How do you add or subtract the subject line from the inbox / sent.
If you sign on to outlook and are in your inbox, you get a list of emails with name: subject: and date. How do you add or subtract the subject line? I have a friend who does not have the subject line and we can not figure out how to add it. Click your right mouse button over the grey column headings in the Inbox where the Subject heading is missing, select Field Chooser from the menu that appears and a box will appear containing all the mail fields, scroll down until you see Subject and then click and hold your left mouse button on the Subject field and drag it to where you want it in ...

a new drawing not erase previous drawing?
visual studio c++ 6.0, mfc, graphics in my program a new drawing erases previous drawing. How to manage that all that is drawn stays alive on the window? And is not erased when the window is covered by another window, as well. And that the image does not flicker... Those last two have from time to time appeared in my attempts to solve the first problem. And that I didn't manage at all - make the first drawing, then the second, see them both at the same time on the window. I have tried the following and maybe more: Invalidate(false), InvalidateRect(false), override OnEraseBkgnd, ...

how to draw a bitmap transparently?
Hi, I have an owner draw button associated with a bitmap. In the bitmap editor, I turn off the option "draw opaque" for the bitmap. That is, I make it transparent. However, the the bitmap's background color still shows up on the button. The bitmap has only a solid circle in the middle. What else do I have to do? Please help. Thanks. Tony One thing you can do--and this works only for some restricted cases, which you may or may not have--is to make the button background 192,192,192, and when you LoadImage, you specify LR_MAP3DCOLORS. It will change the 192,192,192 to...

smooth area chart
When I make a line chart, there is a Smoothed Line option in the Format Data Series dialog box. But when I make an area chart, the line that forms the top of the area is jagged. Is there anyway to smooth the top of the area chart or other way to get the desired smoothed area chart? Like a smoothed line with shading underneath. Thanks. ...

Finding second data point on primary axis of two axis chart
Hi I am new to Excel 2007 (moved from Excel 2003). I have a chart with one column on the primary axis and a line on the secondarry axis. I added a second series of data on the primary axis and can't find it. This usued to happend with my previous edition of Excel and was quickly remedied by putting the cursor on the horizontal line until I found it. Is there another way to find that second series of data? Thanks in advance. Al Charbonneau Al Charbonneau _ Select a data series. Use the up-down arrow keys to cycle through the major chart objects until the a...

owner draw CListBox, how to draw "no item found"
Hello, I have an owner draw listbox, in the DrawItem I draw the items. If the listbox doesn't contain any item I would like to display a message "no item found" but this is no item, so DrawItem is the wrong place. Where should I do this? OnPaint, OnEraseBkgnd? I thought I would be able to do something like this for a test (just paint the window blue) but it's always white BOOL CmyListbox::OnEraseBkgnd(CDC* pDC) { if (m_pItemList.GetCount() < 1) { CRect rc; GetClientRect(&rc); pDC->FillSolidRect(rc,RGB(0,0,255)); return TRU...

Secondary Axis Grid lines
Is there a way to show grid lines for a secondary y-axis? They've added this is 2007, which has so far only added to the confusion. It makes no sense to have two sets of Y axis gridlines, so set up the chart with the gridline-requiring data on the primary axis. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "Arun" <Arun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0CBEB888-9705-4F56-94CA-84BCC6FD875C@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to show grid lines for a second...

Deleting Blank lines with VBA
Help I have a macro that runs multiple formulas. However, when the formulas are finished I am left with about 64000 blank lines. I am unable to insert a row on the worksheets as I get a Run-Time Error 1004 (Try to locate the last Nonblank Cell using CTRL-END). Here is a same of some of the formulas I am running ( the macro is very large). ActiveWorkbook.Names.Add Name:="TrunkFormulaI", RefersToR1C1:="=Trunks!R1C27" ActiveWorkbook.Names.Add Name:="TrunkFormulaJ", RefersToR1C1:="=Trunks!R1C28" ActiveWorkbook.Names.Add Name:="TrunkFormulaK&qu...

Chart Standard Deviation
I am trying to chart a bell curve, or what might be called the normal distribution of a set of data. I want to show the standard deviation of this data. I can calculate the standard deviation easy enough. Can I easily chart the data? Stephen - You need to add three vertical lines to your chart. One at the mean, and one each at the mean � the standard deviation. Use one of these techniques for the lines: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AddLine.html I'd use the error bar approach, and use the values of the points as data labels to augment the existing X axis. - Jon ---...

Draw a horizontal line after the last record is printed on each pa
The details section of my report draws vertical lines which grow to accomodate text size changes. I would like to have a horizontal line drawn when last record finishes printing on the page and joins the end of the last vertical line to make a table. Please help. Thanks. -- Lydia Liu Access/VB Programmer There was at least one answer posted to your same question yesterday. -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access MVP "Lydia" wrote: > The details section of my report draws vertical lines which grow to > accomodate text size changes. I would like to ha...

Line chart: Dates in uneven intervalls on x-achsis #2
'Supplementary' questions: Is there a clever way to make excel recogniz that '3 months' stands for '0.25 years', and '6 months' stands for '0. years'? I know, this is only cosmetics. Nevertheless it would be interesting ;) Gil -- gdavid ----------------------------------------------------------------------- gdavids's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1589 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27378 You could use a helper column that divides months by 12 to scale as years. Jer...

excel and scientific charts
I would like to plot professional scattered charts in excel like in gnuplot. I want to plot almost 500-600 numeric datas but the graphic results are not very beautiful. I've tried to change axis and scale but is not very good. Is there the possibility to obtain better charts? a plug-in? vba? thankx. For possibilites see http://groups.google.com/groups? selm=MPG.17580d283c5b24e598a63e%40msnews.microsoft.com -- Regards, Tushar Mehta, MS MVP -- Excel www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials Custom MS Office productivity solutions In article <W2HXb.316276$_P...

Problem with chart and formula
Hi all, A user has a problem with an Excel 2003 workbook. He has created a HLOOKUP formula in a cell, this works fine. He has also created a chart, the heading of this chart is derived from the HLOOKUP value. This all works fine when the chart is below the HLOOKUP cell, but the users wants to put the chart over the HLOOKUP cell, thus hiding it. When he does this it is as though Excel is constantly updating or refreshing. When it is moved back this stops. I know we can work around this problem, but I just wanted to know why this happens. Has anyone got any ideas? Thanks, Gary. Hi, Just...

Anyone want to draw roads?
Just thought that if anyone wants to do diagrams with roads or rivers as double lines then Jeff Lanam (this n/group) kindly provided me with this link to a free programme called OCAD. Its a tiny file, is EASY to use and the results can be exported as a .bmp into Publisher. www.ocad.com I asked on this newsgroup how to achieve this and many threads resulted, so thought I'd post the solution. Many thanks Jeff (see reply to your post) Chrissss........ Glad you solved your map problem. An interesting program. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.o...

Drawing graphs on Modal dialogs
I've encounter a strange phenomenon: I have an MFC application that creates a child dialog using DoModal(). Within this child dialog I have a couple of buttons and a graph plot drawn within the area of a Cstatic using a third party API from GraphicsServer. This modal dialog has a minimize button, but when I minimize the dialog, the graph doesn't minimize with the dialog is always on top of the screen. Has anyone encountered this problem? Do you think is is a GraphicsServer issue or a Microsoft issue? I've called Graphics Server and they say that they haven't countered my proble...

Indicate intersection point on a two-line graph
Hi, I have a simple line graph with two lines (line A and line B). They intersect at a given point (the break even point). How do I indicate on the graph that this is the break even point. I know its very easy to do with an arrow and text box. However, I would like the arrow and text box to move to a new intersection as I change the numbers around. Thanks, Greg Andy Pope has an example on his site which should help: http://www.andypope.info/charts/intersection.htm -- John Mansfield http://cellmatrix.net "Greg" wrote: > Hi, > > I have a simple line graph with...

Where did the drawing go?
Visio 2003 SP2 with all the latest patches. I have an extensive floor plan created in a file. I renamed the page by double-clicking on the tab and replacing the name with 'Current'. I then added a page and called it 'Proposed'. The program hour-glassed for a bit which I thought was curious and then hung. I could close the program and since I did some editing on the file, I saved it when prompted. The next time I opened the file, the design was not visible and the scale was literally off the charts (it says X = - 46 ft., Y = 89478492 ft. 6, and if I go into Page Setup a...

Graph Line Width ?
Hello, Using Excel 2007. Dumb question, but I just can't seem to get it to work. Have a chart with a line graph. Guess it's called a Scatter Graph. Bunch of points, with lines connecting the points; the typical kind of thing. Looks fine, but I want to make the lines connecting all the data points "thinner". After clicking on the line graph (which I guess selects it) I right-click with the mouse and go to Format Data Points, but this doesn't seem to do anything for the entire line. How can I easily change the line width for the entire graph ? Thanks, Bob On Apr...

How to draw text always visible
Hi NG, I Have program which is drawing objects(PIPES)using the OPENGL. The labels for the for the PIPE is drawing using the GDI. The text colour for the labels is same that of the objects. The labels are usually positioned at out side of the pipe so that it will be visible always. But while rotating there are possibilities that the labels and objects coincide. I want to set the labels always visible with respect to the back ground colour. I used SetRop2() but it has no effect. Any help would be greatly appreciated Best regards Raghuram.k ...