How to create pie chart with %

I have got a problem that I don't if excel could help me to calculate the %
within a column and draw a pie chart.

My case is I have a column containing a series of numbers.  e.g.
1,4,8,1,3,9,11,2,4,5,6,.........etc

I want to draw a pie chart that showing 1-3 , 4-6, 7-9, >9 with the
corresponding % inside that column.

Can anyone tell me how can I make it ?

0
Ray

Ray -

You need to calculate the frequencies in your data.

Let's assume your data is in A1:A12. In B1:B3 enter these numbers, the
upper limits on the groupings:

You can enter ">9" into B4 without messing up any formulas below.

Select C1:C4, with C1 as the active cell. Type this formula:

   =FREQUENCY(A1:A12,B1:B3)

then hold down CTRL+SHIFT while pressing ENTER. If done properly, Excel
inserts curly braces around the formula:

   {=FREQUENCY(A1:A12,B1:B3)}

Here's how my sample data appears:

1	3	6
4	6	3
3	9	2
5	>9	1

Select B1:C4 and make a pie chart. Apply data labels, using the category
name and percentage options. The entries in column B are the category
names, and Excel computes the percentages for you.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Ray in HK wrote:

> I have got a problem that I don't if excel could help me to calculate the %
> within a column and draw a pie chart.
>
> My case is I have a column containing a series of numbers.  e.g.
> 1,4,8,1,3,9,11,2,4,5,6,.........etc
>
> I want to draw a pie chart that showing 1-3 , 4-6, 7-9, >9 with the
> corresponding % inside that column.
>
> Can anyone tell me how can I make it ?

Creating a large number of charts automatically (repost)
Hi there, Are there Excel charting gurus here?? If so then please read on... Sorry for the cross-post but I'm not familiar with the Excel groups. I've posted to asp.general because if I have to code a solution to this it'll probably be done in ASP on a web server, unless there's a significantly better way. I'm looking for a way to create over 100 Excel *charts* programmatically. We've just run a large online survey and the data is being fed back to us in a single spreadsheet - each respondent on a row and their dimensions (division, department, etc) and each of their...

Create Backup
I intend upgrade to sp3 from sp2. I have Win xp pro 7. Microsoft advise automated backup. I have read support info on creating backup. I inserted floppy and followed instructions for system backup. Estimated time was around 6days to complete ? It filled floppy quickly and was asked to insert another. At this rate I would need dozens. Any advice please on above. Regards Roger ----------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------- "Roger" <Monkey@Zoo.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message news:OifiSQYDLHA.5476@TK2MSF...

bar chart to compare month and year data
I would like to creat an excel chart that overlays totals for two years for different categories. Here is the data 2007 columnheader1 columnheader2 columnheader3 Total Jan 1 1 2 4 Feb 2 0 1 3 March 1 1 4 6 2006 columnheader1 columnheader2 columnheader3 Total Jan 2 4 2 8 Feb 2 3 ...

HOW TO CREATE MULTI-PROCESS&#12288;in a MAIN PROCESS
Q: As title ("lmzas" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> message news:040d01c3d10a$c639f0f0$a401280a@phx.gbl...) A: The Windows SDK, the Visual C++ runtime library and MFC have some measure of threading and/or process functionality. I suspect that you mean thread when you say process but let's start with the process stuff. From the SDK, look up the help for CreateProcess (either at the MSDN library web-site, in your own copy of the MSDN library, http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp, or in your own copy of the SDK documentation) and scroll to the bottom of th...

outlook 2003 calender permissions downgraded but creates problems
User was permitted author permission to another user's calender and then down graded to reviewer. Now the user is receiving warnings they can not create item in the other calender or receives email meeting is not in other user's calender. The schedule meeting is in the other user's calender. Summation: User is able to schedule meetings but receives pop ups or email warnings. User does not have permission to the mailbox but the user can view the other user calender with no problems. ...

Questions on Bar Chart
Hello all, I have 2 sheets, "Data Sheet" and "Chart Sheet". Data Sheet contains data to create a bar chart in the Chart Sheet, including the data for bar chart title. I have no problem creating the bar chart using the data in the Data Sheet. I am just wondering whether I can make the chart title dynamic, which means whenever the value for chart title in the Data Sheet changes, the chart title will change. In addition, I want to insert an area on the bar chart for the Source information. I also want the source information dynamic from the value from the Data S...

Auto-create activity from Mobile
Hi all, We have CRM 4.0 Roll Up 7. We are looking for a solution that offers advanced mobile integration to CRM. We would like the mobile client to auto-generate an Activity in CRM whenever a phone call is made to a CRM contact. Has anyone done this? //Johan Johan; There are a few vendors that offer good mobile solutions. I know for certain that MobileAccess from Ten Digits (http://www.tendigits.com/) has that specific feature. Dave Ireland "Jobro" <Jobro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4F1B3A1D-E23E-4E49-933F-B221C0DD1ECE@microsoft.com... >...

Save Application State to XML: How to have each module create a "Node"?
Hi, I have an application which is built from many modules. I re-use the modules in different applications. I'd like to have each of my modules implement a "SaveState()" method. The method should return the state of the module (and any modules it contains) in some nice, easily parsable and savable format. I think this format should be XML. So should each module return an XmlElement, an XmlDocument, or an XmlDocumentFragment. I've been experimenting and I can't figure out the best way to do this. I'd like to do it "right" because I'll be doing this a l...

Refreshing several pivot charts with one move
Right now, i have at least 6 pivot tables in my worksheet, and there will be more to come. Whenever i want to refresh the data (it's drawing it from an access database) i'm selecting each chart one by one. I tried selecting them all and click the refresh button, but it only refreshes the very first table i clicked on. Is there a way for me to refresh every table with just one click? Thanks in advance! ...

need to create a list box based on the selectin of another list bo
I have a list of departments in the first list box, but depending on which departement the user selects, the second list box will offer a different selection of sub departments. EG Schools , then the lsecond list of all schools would be displayed but if Education Management had been selected, then a different second list would be displayed to choose from I currently do this in Excel by naming the ranges and using the =indirect in the data validation. Can something like this be done in access Any help on this would be extremely helpful Thanks You'll find a sample at: http://www.ac...

Gradient of line chart
Hi everyone I have an interesting one.. I have been wondering for a while if it is possible to have a trigger or a message if a chart is created or updated to show a line chart with a line taking a certin gradient indicating an increase which must be monitored. Thanks for your help. Rob You are probably better off using the worksheet for this. A straight line needs only two points. Suppose the x values are in A and the Y values in B starting with A2. Then, the formula =IF((B3-B2)/(A3-A2)>C1,"Watch it!","Normal") gives you what you want. The threshold for t...

Create just an email user
How do I create an AD user that may be used only to access its mailbox (and not to login to a client computer)? What about removing it from "Domain Users"? Thanks! You can't. -- Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems." .. "Gaspar" <noreply@nospamplease.com> wrote in message news:uxLkgA6kKHA.2132@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > How do I create an AD user that may be used only to access its mailbox > (and not to login to a client computer)? > What about removing it from "Domain ...

Excel 2007 hangs while loading chart
I have a sheet with 20000 rows and 5 columns of data with just 2 simple calculations in each row. On a separate sheet is a chart that gets its data from the spreadsheet. Whenever I change some data oin the spreadsheet and click on the chart's tab, the program "hangs" for some 4 minutes. In XL 2003 it didn't do that. Any idea what is going on? Thanks. Gerry ...

Create Hotkey to Open Form?
How do I create a hotkey to open a form? In one control on a form, I'd like the "+" key on the numerical keypad to open a certain form, or cause the OnClick event to run. MS Access 2002. -- croy Use the KeyPress event of the control: Private Sub SomeControl_KeyPress(KeyAscii As Integer) If KeyAscii = 43 Then DoCmd.OpenForm "Some Form" KeyAscii = 0 ' Stop the + from going to the control End If End Sub Plus whatever other code you need. HTH John ################################## Don't Print - Save trees croy wrote: > How do I create a ...

Updating charts
I'm trying to update a chart with more data. I choose 'source data', 'series' then 'values' and select the data i want to add using the ctrl button but i'm not able to select some of the cells in the worksheet. When i try to select these cells the 'Source data - values' box empties. Is anyone able to help with this? It would be greatly appreciated. There's a limit to the number of characters that you can enter in the Data Range box. As a workaround, you could define the range of cells that you want to use, and enter the range name in the Data Ra...

Creating Date Range in Pivot Microsoft Query
I have a pivot that I've connected to our SQL db using the MS Query. I'm having two problems with it: 1. In Access I create a date range to see dates between 3 and 15months ago with the SQL statement " WHERE (Trx.TrxDate) Between (Date()-485) AND (Date()-120)" - no problem in Access but not the MS Query program. When I do it through the Excel MS Query it says the Function 'date' is not valid. How do I describe the current date in the MS Query program? 2. In the same wizard I cannot combine two fields (in Access I would use Expr1: [Field1]&", "...

Thermometer Chart
I tried to use Andy Pope's website but I must be doint something wrong. Each time I try to paste the image of the thermometer, it is no longer transparent. Can anyone help Thanks Hi, Assuming you are trying the thermometer from the 'Original' worksheet. Try selecting the image then with the Shift key held down use the menu Edit. You should see a new menu item 'Copy as Picture'. From the dialog choose Picture and As shown on screen. Then paste that. If that works please post back and I can make am amendment to my instructions. Cheers Andy gailb14@yahoo.com wrote:...

Creating a pie chart
I am trying to create a pie chart using four categories that 8 people ranked the categories using 1-4 by which is more of a priority. First you'll need to get the data into a form of Cat 1 Data for Pie Cat 2 Pie Data Cat 3 Pie Data Cat 4 Pie data "Val" <Val@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2C382264-3DCF-41EF-BDA8-742F797CC3D1@microsoft.com... > I am trying to create a pie chart using four categories that 8 people ranked > the categories using 1-4 by which is more of a priority. ...

Excel 2007 chart gridline color using vba
Hello, i want to apply a themecolor to a chart gridline using vba. I can apply normal colors (RGB, index) but not the theme color. Any idea? thx. berg Hi, Here are the various ways fo changing the colour. With ActiveChart With .Axes(xlValue, xlPrimary) If .HasMajorGridlines Then With .MajorGridlines .Border.ColorIndex = 5 'set color to blue .Border.Color = RGB(0, 255, 0) ' green .Format.Line.ForeColor.ObjectThemeColor = msoThemeColorAccent2 End With En...

Creating Run Time Controls
I am creating a checkbox at run time, as shown below. Spy tells me that the checkbox is receiving messages, but it doen't respond to snaps by checking and un-checking, nor does it receive BM_SETCHEck messages like the check boxes I create from a Dialog resource. How can I get these run time check boxes to respond? CButton *m_mycheckbox; // Member of CMyDialog BOOL CMyDialog::OnInitDialog() { *m_mycheckbox; = new CButton; *m_mycheckbox; ->Create( _T("My Checkbox Name"), WS_CHILD|WS_VISIBLE|SS_LEFT|BS_CHECKBOX|BS_LEFTTEXT...

How to set the chart position exactly?
Hi, I set the cursor in B8 cell. And tried to generate one bar chart. But it was not displaying in B8 cell. It was displaying in some other cell. How to make to sit this chart in exactly B8 position? Thanks.. Ram. -- ramkumar_cpt ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ramkumar_cpt's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28673 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=521344 When you move your chart and resize it, hold down the Alt key, and the edges of the chart will stick to the cell bo...

Data Labels on Bar Charts
In Excel 2000 I was able to show data labels for bars that exceeded my Y Axis, either min or max. In Excel 2003 the labels don't show for these values. I only need to show values when a number is greater then the Axis, for example if my Y axis is 6% and my value is 12% I need to show a label. If my value is less than 6% my Y scale is sufficient to figure out what the value is. Is this a bug in Excel 2003? If so, is there a workaround? I tried it on several machines, and I have over sixty reports that use this chart configuration. Ed - That was one of the rare changes MS made to...

Importing Data and Creating Charts from Spreadsheet
Greetings - Sorry if the subject is not very explanitory, wasn't sure how to word it. Basically my issue is I am trying to create some different charts from a spreadsheet where there might be multiple rows for the same values that will go on the X axis. For example this spreadsheet might have the following Data: ABC Company $500 BCD Company $332 XYZ Company $500 XYZ Company $200 When that chart is created (company on x axis, amount on Y axis) it creates 4 different columns (one each for ABC Company and BCD Company and two for XYZ Company). What I would like it to do is to crea...

How to remove Series "#Ref!" for Xl07 chart?
I deleted some data series that were used in several charts. Now the charts still have the series, but it's been changed to a reference error. I can't find any way to get to those series and delete them. Anybody know how to delete these Series "#Ref!" objects from an Xl07 chart? How? Hi Dick, 1. Select the chart 2. Choose Chart Tools, Design, Select Data. 3. Select the series on the left (under Legend Entries...) and click Remove. If you don't know which series it is, click Edit to see if that is the series you want to delete - you will see the Ref error. -- ...

excel chart animation
Hello. I am a student and for a info-class project I have to make in Excel a chart to be animated. I have to do this without actually typing code in VBA, but I am allowed to use macros (to record a macro, I think). Please tell me, what are the ways I can do this? ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ HI, Make a chart Copy the y values to a new area of the worksheet Next to these, make 3 columns of alternative y values\ Start recoreding; copy and paste each se...