How to craete a bar chart in excell

Hi i'm trying to make a bar chart in excel but i haven't used it
before.....

Suppose i had data like this:

Product     |    Price  |  Date of Purchase | Catagory
TV            |    $100   |  05/08/2004          |  New
Computer  |    $300   |  05/08/2004          |  Old
Fridge       |    $500   |  12/02/2004          |  New

                     $900

I'm trying to graph  data like this by 'catagory', in bar format.
So the graph function would need to first do a count of the occurences
of each type of catagory,  and then graph it.
Can someone either give me a link, or tell me how to do this easily.
Thanks, David.

Look into creating a PivotTable (with an associated PivotChart).
Alternatively, if you must roll your own, check out XL help for the
FREQUENCY function.

--
Regards,

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article <1168553364.143867.127690@i39g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
davidmccaldin@gmail.com says...
> Hi i'm trying to make a bar chart in excel but i haven't used it
> before.....
>
> Suppose i had data like this:
>
> Product     |    Price  |  Date of Purchase | Catagory
> TV            |    $100   |  05/08/2004          |  New
> Computer  |    $300   |  05/08/2004          |  Old
> Fridge       |    $500   |  12/02/2004          |  New
>
>                      $900
>

> I'm trying to graph  data like this by 'catagory', in bar format.
> So the graph function would need to first do a count of the occurences
> of each type of catagory,  and then graph it.
> Can someone either give me a link, or tell me how to do this easily.
> Thanks, David.

How to paste long numbers eg 210000000000026324 into Excel
When pasting these numbers into Excel: 210000000000026324 210000000000026524 210000000000023324 The pasted numbers appear as: 2.1E+17 2.1E+17 2.1E+17 and the values change to 210000000000026000 210000000000026000 210000000000023000 I have tried: 1. change the format of the cells to Text, this still happens. 2. paste as unicode Nothing seems to work other then changing each number to ="210000000000026324" ="210000000000026524" ="210000000000023324" Which is an absolute pain if i have to repeat this every time. Is there an easier way? One way: Preformat ...

Pivot Chart/Table Tutorial
Does anyone know where I can find a good on-line tutorial or any kind of step-by-step for using pivot tables and charts? I'm a good Excel user, but I've never used pivots...I prefer data sort...but now I've got to start using pivots in Excel & Access. Any ideas? Thanks, Greta Greta - Debra Dalgleish has an introduction to the world of pivots here: http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/Pivots/pivotstart.htm I'd suggest you learn all you can about pivot tables, one of Excel's best features, and use the data in regular charts. Pivot charts are a great id...

Rolling up Gantt bars to "Group by" summaries
Can the Gantt bars for each activity in a "Group by" group be rolled up to the overall Group summary bar? The Group By Summary bars look just like the ones for Summary activities, but bars do not roll up there. Has anyone seen a native or a programmed way to do that roll up? An important view for my project shows the activities to which each of a set of (non-multitasking) resources are assigned. I can show it doing a "Group by" Resource Names and filtering for the resources that I am interested in, and it would be great if I were able to show it as just one r...

Strange Calculation Error in Excel
Hi. I have a table of numbers, and I do some simple Math based on this data. Eg: 4.1 4.1 3.97 4.03 4.15 4.15 4.1 4.1 For the formula "=A4-B4", the answer given is "-0.069999999999999400000000000000" It should be just -0.07. Then I checked the value for A4 & B4, the values are: 4.030000000000000000000000000000 4.100000000000000000000000000000 What's wrong with Excel? How can I correct this error? PS: If anyone wishes to see the original Excel file, please leave your email address here. Thanks! -- Additional information: - I'm using Office XP - ...

Disappearing Chart Axis
Hi I have posted this problem before as Dynamic Bar Chart Category Axis Problem, but the search engine wouldn't pick it up and I'm assuming that's why I got no response. So here goes again.... I have created a dynamic bar chart (roughly based on Stephen Bullen's funchrt4). The number of categories can range from 2 to about 50 and ideally I would like the category axis names font to be Arial 10 at least. When the number of categories gets towards 50, the category axis names disappear altogether and the only way I have found to retrieve them is to manually reduce the f...

Excel 2007 Paste Special
Hi, I have a worksheet open in Excel 2007. I have a cell with a formula in it. I simply want to copy and paste the formula to the cell below it. Copy/paste in Excel 2003 was fine and it automatically adjusted the the cell references. Now with 2007 it only copies the value, not the formula. I try to "paste special" but all I get is a dialog box with "Unicode Text" and "Text" options. Nothing like its suppose to be. Any ideas? Hi Ken, What happens when you select both cells and press Ctrl-D? -- Cheers macropod [Microsoft MVP - Word] ...

MS Excel creating inventory
I need to keep a running inventory of parts and material furnished to my company by the Government for repair work. Can I integrate barcode scanning and software into MS Excel? I think this would be much less laborious than manually inputting hunreds of items on hundreds of different jobs. Any help greatly appreciated. I did a google search...but not real sure which programs will integrate. ...

Bar Chart with Labels Above Bar
Help pleaaaaaaaaaaaase!!! I need to display a chart thats something like this: Category Name Here ################## Category Name Here ############ Category Name Here #### Category Name Here ### I�ve been able to get something like this going using a dummy series and bar chart, but long labels are displayed in multiple lines and not in a single line. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks Humberto Humberto - Unfortunately, most of the text elements in a chart--titles, axis tick labels, data labels--have line breaks wherever Excel wants to put them, and while you can ...

Where are the pivottable chart buttons?
In Excel 2003, If you made a graph of a pivot table you would have buttons inside the graph that would allow you to make certain selections or filters inside the graph. Where are these in Excel 2007? Can anybody help me? Thanks in advance! In Excel 2007 there's a PivotChart Filter Pane. It has dropdowns that you can use to filter the fields. Jelmer wrote: > In Excel 2003, If you made a graph of a pivot table you would have buttons > inside the graph that would allow you to make certain selections or filters > inside the graph. Where are these in Excel 2007? > > C...

Clarion Date format for Excel
I have exported some data from a sql database and I need to know how to format a Clarion date. Help Scott, It would help us if you could define what a Clarion Date is.... HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "ScottD" <ScottD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E30EF913-3ADA-4025-A70F-FC506053481D@microsoft.com... > I have exported some data from a sql database and I need to know how to > format a Clarion date. Help Hi could you post some example data -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "ScottD" <ScottD@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb ...

Extrange problem with Tool Bar Control
Hi all... The problem I had is that when I double-click the tool bar so that it becomes floating, the tool bar frame remains on the original place, but the tool bar gets actually floating. (I mean the "dialog" where the tool bar controls were, stays docked, and not goes floating with the controls). What may be hapenning? The toolbar worked before on this MDI application. I think that it is a repaint problem because when I open a new document while that docked frame is still where the tool bar was, the frame disappears. I hope the problem was clearly stated. Any help will...

Making charts equivalent
We track the average patient value on a number of different analytes. Is there a standard way to make the graphs appear equivalent? If I track hemoglobin with a mean of 14.0 with the minimum set at 10 and the max set at 18, and then I have a second graph for hematocrit that has a mean of 38, but the max is set at 41 and the min at 35, the latter is a steep graph, and the former is flat, even though the hemoglobin values are approximately 1.3 the hematocrit. But the setting of the axis values can potentially make data look misleading. I am looking for a rule so that data will appear consist...

Sort Ascending button
My office has just deployed Office 2003 (migrated from 97) and I am still getting used to some differences. The Sort Ascending button is behaving differently and I'm not sure if there's a setting somewhere to govern this... Used to be if you had a contiguous block of cells, you could click a SINGLE cell in the column you wanted to sort on. The data in the whole (contiguous) table would sort but the HEADER ROW would stay in place. Now, when I click Sort Ascending, the sort is including the header row and moving it out of row 1. Is there a way to control this? I've searche...

Ho do I find last cell in excel worksheet?
Hello, I have tried using CTRL+End which goes to last populated cell.... most of the time!! But if some cells are cleared and last populated cell is before "previously" populated cell the above comman still goes to that location! How can I reset it?? If CTRL-End takes you to cell E15 but cells were cleared and the lower right corner of your data is now at E12, delete rows 13 - 15 and save the spreadsheet. CTRL-End will then take you to E12. In the addin litLIB I have created a function LastRow that you can use. Example: =LastRow(2) This function will display the row number o...

Can see the status-bar msg AND tool-tip for tool-bar button, but only status-bar msg for a menu item.
Hi. When creating a status bar message and a tool-tip for a tool-bar button, you set the following string in the 'Prompt' text box : "This is the status bar for tool-bar\nThis is the tool-tip bar for tool-bar" (Note the use of the '\n' as the seperator). So, I assumed you can do the same for a menu item, right? WRONG! I only seemed to get the status bar message working. Is there a way around this? Is it supported, or is there some 'trick' I must do ? Cheers in advance... Brad. No, it is not supported. To get tooltips (if I get you correctly) when pointi...

Column Charts
I would like to produce a stacked column chart to show two different types of income over two years. I cannot for the life of me work out how to do it. HELP!!! Enter the data on a worksheet, e.g.: 2001 2002 A 100 150 B 100 150 where the income types are A and B. Select a cell in the range, and click the Chart Wizard button Select the Column chart type, and the Stacked Column subtype Marion wrote: > I would like to produce a stacked column chart to show two different types of > income over two years. I cannot for the life of me work out how to do it. > HELP!!...

German Excell
Is there anyway of getting a German copy of Excell to display tool bars etc in English? Can anyone help? Thanks Multilingual User Interface (MUI) pack. Some info here: http://www.microsoft.com/office/evaluation/indepth/multilingual/muipackfaq.asp "cinabar" <cinabar@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:592901c35759$dc4f3470$a001280a@phx.gbl... > Is there anyway of getting a German copy of Excell to > display tool bars etc in English? > > Can anyone help? > > Thanks ...

bar char
I've created a simple, standard bar chart in Excel. Oddly, Excel by default has made the widths of the bars themselves extremely narrow. I have never seen this behavior before. Any ideas what may be causing this and suggestions on how I can fix it? Thanks. -- Jeff Jeff - To fix, in Excel 2003 and earlier versions: Format Data Series | Options | Gap Width. - Mike http://www.mikemiddleton.com "Jeff Reese" <JeffReese@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:16253143-F970-457A-A7FD-5DE9F8AF6A04@microsoft.com... > I've created a simple, standard b...

radar chart
How do I format the data set to get a radar chart? There's an article on the Microsoft web site that describes the data layout for different chart types: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HP051994911033.aspx Todd wrote: > How do I format the data set to get a radar chart? -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html You may also want to check Custom Radar Chart http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/software/custom_radar/index.htm I've just finished an add-in based on the above page and it should be available through ...

excell spread sheets
At work I have MS office 2000 SR-1 professional At home I have MS works Suite 2001 (windows ME) on a Dell Dim'n 866 pent III spread sheets done at work , are unreadable at home, and vice-versa.... How can I "translate" to make each, readable at the other ? (without replacing home software? HELP !. This is the wrong forum - try one of the Excel forums. Gill >-----Original Message----- >At work I have MS office 2000 SR-1 professional > >At home I have MS works Suite 2001 (windows ME) >on a Dell Dim'n 866 pent III > >spread sheets done at work ,...

Charts have X axis at the top?
I just tried to create a couple of charts and every one places the X Axis at the top when showing expenses. That is the numbers display in the lower right quadrant. The worksheet displays expenses as a negative value and this is what I want... numbers in parens. Is there a way to show my expenses in the upper right quadrant without affecting the display of these figures? Thanks, Richard Richard, Negative values go downward from the X axis. If there are no positive numbers, then the X axis will be at the top. If you want the Y axis to get more negative as it goes upward, you can do th...

Excel, in a cell, how do i link to a pic & autohide like a comment
Is there a way to insert / attach a picture from a file to an excell 'cell' and have it autohide? Similar to the way a comment box behaves? (2003). Debra Dalgleish has a neat approach: http://www.contextures.com/xlcomments02.html#Picture Does that help? -- Regards, Ron "harperma" wrote: > Is there a way to insert / attach a picture from a file to an excell 'cell' > and have it autohide? Similar to the way a comment box behaves? (2003). ...

VBA Excel
I have a small app that as a part of what it does has a "Preview" dialog that allows the user to navigate through the worksheets in the workbook and it will highlight an area of each worksheet to show that a specific range is set. It all works fine, except for a problem that I believe has to do with focus. The controls look like this: |<< << >> >>| They represent, respectively, First Sheet, Previous Sheet, Next Sheet, and Last Sheet. The Problem: The default one with focus when you start the app is "Next" (>>). If you clic...

Pivot Table in Excel 2007?????
Why did Microsoft complicate the creation of a simple pivot table???? I now have a single column of the data I want in a table: Col A 1 7/1/2005 $210.00 7/14/2005 $120.00 8/4/2005 $180 etc I want: 1 2 3 etc 7/1 210. 7/14 120. 8/4 180 etc How do I get from a single column to a multi column/row??? It was so easy before!!! Now????? OMEd Hi, This interests me greatly. I put your sample data into one column of a spreadsheet and made a pivot table from it using 2003 but I could not reach the layout you show. Coul...

grayscale plot with bars
Hi, is Excel able to color the bars of a bar chart according to the height of the respective bar? The surface plot would be an alternative but I cannot change the colors? Can anybody help? Chris Hi, You might be able to use the conditional chart work around, http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ConditionalChart1.html http://www.edferrero.com/charting.aspx On a surface chart you can adjust the value banding by double clicking the legend. If you select an individual legend entry you can then format it's colour. Cheers Andy chris.ammann@googlemail.com wrote: > Hi, > > is E...