How to colntrol location of category X axis labels on a bar chart?

How to colntrol location of category X axis labels on a bar chart?

usually data have only positive values, category X axis labels are in the
left side of vertical axis (see labelsOK.jpg). When values are all negative,
labels are crossing bars (see labels03.jpg). Basically labels are always to
the left from vertical axis (see labels01.jpg and labels02.jpg) which is not
always visually appealing. Is there a way to have labels for case when data
are all negative, located to the right from the axis and axis itself indented
from chart border, so it will be a mirror image of labelsOK.jpg (see
labelsOKmirror.jpg, but of course text and digits should not be mirrored!).

I do not see how to upload images, would happy to email them to whoever will
be kind enough to ask (naumlitvin@gmail.com)
for now I put them on a website

http://spbdev.sprigley.com/labels01.jpg
http://spbdev.sprigley.com/labels02.jpg
http://spbdev.sprigley.com/labels03.jpg
http://spbdev.sprigley.com/labelsOK.jpg
http://spbdev.sprigley.com/labelsOKmirror.jpg

Thank you!
0
Naum (21)

Hi,

The same approach is valid for bar charts
http://www.andypope.info/tips/tip002.htm

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
"Naum" <Naum@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How to colntrol location of category X axis labels on a bar chart?
>
> usually data have only positive values, category X axis labels are in the
> left side of vertical axis (see labelsOK.jpg). When values are all
> negative,
> labels are crossing bars (see labels03.jpg). Basically labels are always
> the left from vertical axis (see labels01.jpg and labels02.jpg) which is
> not
> always visually appealing. Is there a way to have labels for case when
> data
> are all negative, located to the right from the axis and axis itself
> indented
> from chart border, so it will be a mirror image of labelsOK.jpg (see
> labelsOKmirror.jpg, but of course text and digits should not be
> mirrored!).
>
> I do not see how to upload images, would happy to email them to whoever
> will
> be kind enough to ask (naumlitvin@gmail.com)
> for now I put them on a website
>
> http://spbdev.sprigley.com/labels01.jpg
> http://spbdev.sprigley.com/labels02.jpg
> http://spbdev.sprigley.com/labels03.jpg
> http://spbdev.sprigley.com/labelsOK.jpg
> http://spbdev.sprigley.com/labelsOKmirror.jpg
>
> Thank you!

0
andy9699 (3616)
12/12/2007 8:44:47 AM
Not sure I fully understand, but couldn't you have a helper column and just
take the absolute value of your real values and chart them?

--
HTH

Bob

"Naum" <Naum@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How to colntrol location of category X axis labels on a bar chart?
>
> usually data have only positive values, category X axis labels are in the
> left side of vertical axis (see labelsOK.jpg). When values are all
> negative,
> labels are crossing bars (see labels03.jpg). Basically labels are always
> the left from vertical axis (see labels01.jpg and labels02.jpg) which is
> not
> always visually appealing. Is there a way to have labels for case when
> data
> are all negative, located to the right from the axis and axis itself
> indented
> from chart border, so it will be a mirror image of labelsOK.jpg (see
> labelsOKmirror.jpg, but of course text and digits should not be
> mirrored!).
>
> I do not see how to upload images, would happy to email them to whoever
> will
> be kind enough to ask (naumlitvin@gmail.com)
> for now I put them on a website
>
> http://spbdev.sprigley.com/labels01.jpg
> http://spbdev.sprigley.com/labels02.jpg
> http://spbdev.sprigley.com/labels03.jpg
> http://spbdev.sprigley.com/labelsOK.jpg
> http://spbdev.sprigley.com/labelsOKmirror.jpg
>
> Thank you!

0
bob.NGs1 (1661)
12/12/2007 8:46:02 AM
no, I have 33 bar charts, they reflect rows on a data worksheet where data is
pasted - different every time, it is not going to fly with my users to build
bar charts manually...
Andy's solution seems to be working great (choose "Low" for "Tick mark
labels" for Value axis - even if I do not understand it :-)

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

> Not sure I fully understand, but couldn't you have a helper column and just
> take the absolute value of your real values and chart them?
>
> --
> HTH
>
> Bob
>
> (there's no email, no snail mail, but somewhere should be gmail in my addy)
>
> "Naum" <Naum@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > How to colntrol location of category X axis labels on a bar chart?
> >
> > usually data have only positive values, category X axis labels are in the
> > left side of vertical axis (see labelsOK.jpg). When values are all
> > negative,
> > labels are crossing bars (see labels03.jpg). Basically labels are always
> > the left from vertical axis (see labels01.jpg and labels02.jpg) which is
> > not
> > always visually appealing. Is there a way to have labels for case when
> > data
> > are all negative, located to the right from the axis and axis itself
> > indented
> > from chart border, so it will be a mirror image of labelsOK.jpg (see
> > labelsOKmirror.jpg, but of course text and digits should not be
> > mirrored!).
> >
> > I do not see how to upload images, would happy to email them to whoever
> > will
> > be kind enough to ask (naumlitvin@gmail.com)
> > for now I put them on a website
> >
> > http://spbdev.sprigley.com/labels01.jpg
> > http://spbdev.sprigley.com/labels02.jpg
> > http://spbdev.sprigley.com/labels03.jpg
> > http://spbdev.sprigley.com/labelsOK.jpg
> > http://spbdev.sprigley.com/labelsOKmirror.jpg
> >
> > Thank you!

0
Naum (21)
12/12/2007 8:41:00 PM
Andy, you did it again!! "Low" works good enough.

Thanks!

"Andy Pope" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The same approach is valid for bar charts
> http://www.andypope.info/tips/tip002.htm
>
> Cheers
> Andy
>
> --
>
> Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
> http://www.andypope.info
> "Naum" <Naum@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > How to colntrol location of category X axis labels on a bar chart?
> >
> > usually data have only positive values, category X axis labels are in the
> > left side of vertical axis (see labelsOK.jpg). When values are all
> > negative,
> > labels are crossing bars (see labels03.jpg). Basically labels are always
> > the left from vertical axis (see labels01.jpg and labels02.jpg) which is
> > not
> > always visually appealing. Is there a way to have labels for case when
> > data
> > are all negative, located to the right from the axis and axis itself
> > indented
> > from chart border, so it will be a mirror image of labelsOK.jpg (see
> > labelsOKmirror.jpg, but of course text and digits should not be
> > mirrored!).
> >
> > I do not see how to upload images, would happy to email them to whoever
> > will
> > be kind enough to ask (naumlitvin@gmail.com)
> > for now I put them on a website
> >
> > http://spbdev.sprigley.com/labels01.jpg
> > http://spbdev.sprigley.com/labels02.jpg
> > http://spbdev.sprigley.com/labels03.jpg
> > http://spbdev.sprigley.com/labelsOK.jpg
> > http://spbdev.sprigley.com/labelsOKmirror.jpg
> >
> > Thank you!

0
Naum (21)

Edit Categories?
Hello All- Is it possible to edit the categories in my register? I know that I can create new ones just by typing them in as I am balancing my account, but I would actually like to edit some categories, remove some, move some... and I cannot see where to do it. Thanks, -Sean What edition of Money? If MEss, no. If Deluxe or higher, yes. I assume if you can create them you are using Deluxe or higher. Account List|Categories and Payees|Categories. You can edit them from there. "Sean" <Sean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FCBC3C42-4F48-402D-804F-BE0AA92...

Unable to enter chart/axis titles
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Everytime I try to enter a chart title or axis titles in excel using the formatting palette, Excel crashes. I am unable to label anything without the whole program going down. Is there a patch or something I can download? Missing updates are quite probably at the root of the problem. Launch Help> Check for Updates from any of the Office apps & apply everything offered. Make certain that OS X is fully updated as well & run Disk Utility - Repair Disk Permissions afterward. HTH |:>) Bob Jones [MVP] Offic...

Macro location
I have a file called PERSONAL.XLS that contains all my macros.It is located in STRARTXLS I had reason to copy that file and an other Excel file to drive A(Floppy) Now every time I try to run a macro the computer looks to drive A. How can I stop this ? Thanks -- Norton Virus checker 2003 says this email is clean First off, you should never copy files from Excel to a floppy - it gives too many problems because of the way Excel uses its temporary file. The file can get corrupted. Save to our hard drive and copy from there. The change of location is "a feature not a bug" <grin>...

Chart Coloring
I need a way to select the color for the bars in a bar chart befor the creation of the chart. I know how to select the colors once the chart is created, is there a way to automatically change the chart colors? You can change the default colours Excel uses for chart fills and lines respectively, in Tools/Options/Color. The colours from left to right are the ones Excel picks for your data series in order of selection. Select the colour to be changed and click Modify... The rest is evident I gather. In the same pane you can also import colours from another workbook (e.g., your company...

Location Availability
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to setup a location or user for a location so that when people schedule meetings they can see if the area they want to hold the meeting in is available. For example we have a meeting room and a showroom, so I want people to be able to check the availability of these rooms directly in outlook when creating a meeting request. Thank you. I've seen it done with Outlook -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Tim" <Myemail@here.com> wrote in message news:11n7egikgheercc@corp.supernews.com... > Can anyone tell me if it i...

shortened axis marks "//"
Hi, Is there a way to cause a chart sheet to display an abbreviated x-axis. That is, a set of squigley lines to indicate that a portion of the axis has been cut out. For instance rather than |--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--| --> etc... 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 We'd get |-//-|--|--|--|--| --> etc... 0 5 6 7 8 9 With the "//" indicating an abbreviation of the axis. I've seen this on many charts and graphs, but don't know if excel can do this without programatically drawing lines and things over the axis. Any help would be greatly apprecaited, P...

Location Location Location? No, Traffic Traffic Traffic! #8
Do you want a great backend product that is selling like crazy this week? My readers are running to get this NEW CONCEPT! I�m selling more this week than I ever did in the past months with any other program. My commissions are climbing very fast. I�m really excited! This is the best ad copy I�ve read in months! It sells. If you haven't felt the shockwave yet, stop everything you are doing and read this to be one of the first promoters. The inner circles of the shockwave are raking in the profits like fury. This will pay us for years to come as it is the first �Wave� of the NEW I...

Functions of x
A couple of questions about charting: 1) Is it possible to chart functions of x in Excel directly so I won' have to define every value of x that is to be plotted? For instance, i there any way to plot the parabola made by the function x^2 ? 2) Can one plot asymptotes -- Siberia ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Siberian's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2536 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=38902 For both questions see PLOT manager http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/so...

Outlook Attachment location
is there any way that I can set the default location for attachments to download to in Outlook, on a computer running Win XP? See if the information on the following page helps: http://www.slipstick.com/config/attachfolder.htm -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:9c2801c3eaeb$7e7ea8f0$a501280a@phx.gbl, Dave wrote: > is there any way that I can set the default location for > attachments to download to in Outlook, on a computer > running Win ...

Custom Tool Bar Button Question XP
Greetings, I created a custom toolbar button in Excel when I was running W 2000. I moved the customization file to my new XP computer. I also moved the associated macro. Then I connected the button to the macro. However, when I click the button, I get an error message that says the process is looking for the macro in my personal workbook located on my other computer. How do I fix this. As an alternative is there a simple way to move the button face from my old computer to my new one? Thanks in advance for your help! Ray Simple way, goto Tools>Customize, right-click the button, and...

Can't get Bar chart to use my numbers
I have a set of numbers: Level Response $250,000 1 $187,500 1 $75,000 1 $50,000 3 $46,857 1 $30,000 3 $21,000 1 $20,000 1 $18,750 1 $18,000 1 $15,000 1 $10,000 2 In this case, I have 1 response at 250,000 and 3 reponses at 50,000 etc. What I am trying to do is chart this so that the Y axis is 0 - 250,000 (or 300,000) and the X axis is at 0, 1, 2 , 3. What I get is the Y axis at 0 - 250,000 and the X axis at 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 (which are the cell numbers where 250000 is 1 and 1...

Z-Axis Scale Adjustment for Contour Plots
How do you set the contour plot z-axis legend scale in 2007? In 2003 I could double click on the legend and then select the bottom point, range between points and top point of the z-axis scale. Also, is there a way to get rid of the 3-D look of 2007 and go back to the 2003 countour plot look with flat/uniform colors for a given range of data? > How do you set the contour plot z-axis legend scale in 2007? Activate the Layout or Format tab, and choose the Vertical (Value) Axis from the dropdown in the top left of the ribbon. (Yes, it's there even though it's a flat contour c...

How to colntrol location of category X axis labels on a bar chart?
How to colntrol location of category X axis labels on a bar chart? usually data have only positive values, category X axis labels are in the left side of vertical axis (see labelsOK.jpg). When values are all negative, labels are crossing bars (see labels03.jpg). Basically labels are always to the left from vertical axis (see labels01.jpg and labels02.jpg) which is not always visually appealing. Is there a way to have labels for case when data are all negative, located to the right from the axis and axis itself indented from chart border, so it will be a mirror image of labelsOK.jpg (see...

Chart Location
Hi, How to specify the location of a chart in a sheet (The sheet contains 4 charts).The chart location should vary dynamically depending on the values associated with it. Thanks and Regards, Sumathi Sumathi - You need to specify the coordinates and dimensions of the chart's parent chart object, in pixels. With ActiveChart.Parent '' or With ActiveSheet.ChartObjects(1) .Top = 50 .Left = 50 .Height = 175 .Width = 225 End With - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTe...

DPM 2010 RC co-locate SQL Server
I'm creating a protection group for SQL Server 2005 SP3 (CU8) with DPM 2010 RC. I have about 15-20 small databases and about 10-15 larger databases. When I create the protection group the option to co-locate is checked (and not gray), but when the protection group is created I end up with many 10gb disk partitions. Isn't co-location supposed to prevent that? I read that the default for co-location is 30 databases (how do I increase that?) so I tried hand picking the larger databases from the list rather than the auto option and only using those in my protection group....

Should allow: "Value (X) axis crosses at *-MINIMUM-* value
I think that almost always I want the X axis values and label at the BOTTOM of the plot. There is an option for them to be at the top. Why not the bottom?? MS could put in a button for max or min value. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.mi...

Location Location Location? No, Traffic Traffic Traffic! #9
Do you want a great backend product that is selling like crazy this week? My readers are running to get this NEW CONCEPT! I�m selling more this week than I ever did in the past months with any other program. My commissions are climbing very fast. I�m really excited! This is the best ad copy I�ve read in months! It sells. If you haven't felt the shockwave yet, stop everything you are doing and read this to be one of the first promoters. The inner circles of the shockwave are raking in the profits like fury. This will pay us for years to come as it is the first �Wave� of the NEW I...

Chart Location Choice
I have one spreadsheet with lots of charts but for some reason I cannot select the chart location. The only one allowed is "As new sheet". The alternate ""As object in" is ghosted out! what did I do wrong?? I have checked tools-option? I disabled macros? Is the sheet protected, preventing insertion of any objects. Regards, Peter T "Geoff" <Geoff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:598ADFDC-9F61-40F0-AB4A-08023022BB9F@microsoft.com... >I have one spreadsheet with lots of charts but for some reason I cannot > select the chart...

Location Location Location? No, Traffic Traffic Traffic! #7
Do you want a great backend product that is selling like crazy this week? My readers are running to get this NEW CONCEPT! I�m selling more this week than I ever did in the past months with any other program. My commissions are climbing very fast. I�m really excited! This is the best ad copy I�ve read in months! It sells. If you haven't felt the shockwave yet, stop everything you are doing and read this to be one of the first promoters. The inner circles of the shockwave are raking in the profits like fury. This will pay us for years to come as it is the first �Wave� of the NEW I...

Shorten chart formula
Office 2003 version: I'm having trouble with learning/applying correct syntax. Please help me shorten the series for a stacked column chart. Example: =SERIES("DX only",(Nov!$E$69,Nov!$I$59,Nov!$N$59,Nov!$H$59,Nov!$O$59,Nov!$S$59,Nov!$Z$59,Nov!$E$80,Nov!$I$59,Nov!$N$59,Nov!$H$59,Nov!$O$59,Nov!$S$59,Nov!$Z$59,Nov!$E$91,Nov!$I$59,Nov!$N$59,Nov!$H$59,Nov!$O$59,Nov!$S$59,Nov!$Z$59,Nov!$E$102,Nov!$I$59,Nov!$N$59,Nov!$H$59,Nov!$O$59,Nov!$S$59,Nov!$Z$59,Nov!$E$113),(Nov!$E$70,Nov!$I$70,Nov!$N$70,Nov!$H$70,Nov!$O$70,Nov!$S$70,Nov!$Z$70,Nov!$E$81,Nov!$I$81,Nov!$N$81,Nov!$H$81,Nov...

How to locate differences between two sheets/ranges?
Well, here's my problem: each day here at work I receive a file with updated info on specific data. Form is always the same -specific number of columns with the same type of data, only the number of rows may change. However, every day I have to go through the data to see what has been changed and/or what has been added/dropped. Is there any way to do this easily? Kind regards Th Hi Have a look here for some ideas. I'm sure one of them will suit: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm -- Andy. "Gryzor" <Gryzor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:...

Locating a Table object
I am having a problem with the following code: Dim obj As AccessObject, dbs As Object Set dbs = Application.CurrentData For Each obj In dbs.AllTables If obj.IsLoaded = True Then If TblObj.Name = strHoldTableName Then MsgBox "Another user is viewing this record" intBeingViewed = 1 Exit For End If End If Next obj This code is intended to check if a table with the (string) name strHoldTableName exists, but it's not working. Am I missing a reference, or is there another set of cod...

Removing overlap of bars when 2 Y axes are used
I made a chart with a secondary Y axis because my two data series had very different scales. This automatically overlapped the two data series bars so that not all of them are visible now (when I had them on one Y axis, distinct bars were present). I have tried to play with the "overlap" option, but it barely separates the bars -more than 90% overlap remains-, I cannot get them to be side by side. I do not want to make one or both series appear as lines. Thanks for any answer. PP74, I believe Jon Peltier's site has an example that you can use. You may need to adjust the...

how to set up a 8.5 x 5.5 booklet
I want to be able to set up AND print an 8.5 x 5.5 booklet on Publisher 2007 I can set one up; but it only prints "one page" and I can't seem to change the print to "2 page" How many pages does your booklet have? In the print screen type the pages you want to print. If you look at print preview, click the multiple page icon, you will see what page is next to what page. These are the numbers you need to type. If you have a four page booklet, type 1,4 for the front & back covers. Type 3, 2 for the center pages. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "WindS...

how can i customize the way office x looks?
hello everyone, i like entourage (and since i use a hotmail address on my os x mac, i don't think i have any other choice anyway) but i hate the look of the program. is there any possibility to have a text-only toolbar or to change those candy-colored icons into something a little more discreet-looking? internet explorer has different "themes" to suit what the rest of your system looks like, but I haven't found this feature in office x. how can i customize the way entourage looks? (and the other office x apps too, actually) thanks! Mdimm On 10/6/03 7:09 AM, in article 386...