How To Chart A Formula in Excel 2007

I'm looking to plot multiple formulas on a single chart, and came across a
thread from 8/12/2005 for earlier versions of Excel for a single function,
which causes errors when recreated in 2007.

Error is
A Formula in this worksheet contains one or more invalid references
Verify that your formulas contain a valid path, workbook, range name, and
cell reference

I presume its due to changes in 2007, and possibly the Evaluate formula as I
cant find it listed in 2007.

Is there a new technique that avoids the error?

Thanks Very Much for any help.

Kris

In column A we have x-values
In column B we have a formula such as =A1^2
In column C we have the other function such as =2*A1+15
We select all the data and make a chart.

Or did you want to make a chart without using columns of values?
Please give us the reference to what you found
best wishes
--
Bernard Liengme
http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme

"Kris_Wright_77" <KrisWright77@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm looking to plot multiple formulas on a single chart, and came across a
> thread from 8/12/2005 for earlier versions of Excel for a single function,
> which causes errors when recreated in 2007.
>
> Error is
> A Formula in this worksheet contains one or more invalid references
> Verify that your formulas contain a valid path, workbook, range name, and
> cell reference
>
> I presume its due to changes in 2007, and possibly the Evaluate formula as
> cant find it listed in 2007.
>
> Is there a new technique that avoids the error?
>
> Thanks Very Much for any help.
>
> Kris

0
Bernard
12/17/2009 5:06:01 PM
Bernard

I was looking to create charts without using columns as I found in
techniques by
Jan Karel Pieterse  @ http://www.jkp-ads.com/articles/ChartAnEquation00.asp
and Stephen Bullen @ http://www.oaltd.co.uk/Excel/Default.htm ChtFrmla.zip

I'm not a 100% certain that it will suit my needs, and I may have to go down
the route of having to use rows and columns anyway, or scale back my
aspirations.
Either way I would like to know why the techniques error in 2007.

I created something similar to what I am trying to achieve now, using
formulas in rows and columns but found that after some time the amount of
number crunching took 30mins each time it was asked to calculate.

Alternatively, is there a VBA way to mimic the Evaluate formula, as I could
then use that to populate rows and formulas with Values rather than
repetitive formulae.

Thnaks Very Much.

Kris

"Bernard Liengme" wrote:

> In column A we have x-values
> In column B we have a formula such as =A1^2
> In column C we have the other function such as =2*A1+15
> We select all the data and make a chart.
>
> Or did you want to make a chart without using columns of values?
> Please give us the reference to what you found
> best wishes
> --
> Bernard Liengme
> http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme
> Microsoft Excel MVP
>
> "Kris_Wright_77" <KrisWright77@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm looking to plot multiple formulas on a single chart, and came across a
> > thread from 8/12/2005 for earlier versions of Excel for a single function,
> > which causes errors when recreated in 2007.
> >
> > Error is
> > A Formula in this worksheet contains one or more invalid references
> > Verify that your formulas contain a valid path, workbook, range name, and
> > cell reference
> >
> > I presume its due to changes in 2007, and possibly the Evaluate formula as
> > cant find it listed in 2007.
> >
> > Is there a new technique that avoids the error?
> >
> > Thanks Very Much for any help.
> >
> > Kris
>
> .

> Is there a new technique that avoids the error?

I'd just use names for this, then you don't need Evaluate and
avoid associated macro security settings.

Create a new XY chart (F11), then in Sheet1, for example, define:

n:=100
t:=(ROW(INDIRECT("sheet1!1:"&n+1))-1)/n
x:=-PI()+2*PI()*t
y:=COS(x)

where n is number of intervals to plot and t is a parameter in [0,1].

Now enter in the chart formula bar: =SERIES(,sheet1!x,sheet1!y,1)

For parametric equations replace x with s and plot x(s) and y(s),
eg for a circle:
s:=-PI()+2*PI()*t
x:=cos(s)
y:=sin(s)

You should be able to add new series to the chart in a similar way,
or using the VBA window: Names.Add "z","=x^2" etc.

HTH. Lori

I also struggled with both JKP's and Stephen Bullen's examples, even in
earlier Excel versions. Even editing Stephen's series formula from original
names to cells then back to the original again errored. Sometimes all seems
OK, then get the message about an invalid formula. I'm almost sure the
culprit is the excel4 "EVALUATE". (Very) vaguely in the back of my head I
have an idea there's a registry fix, could be wrong.

Even if it is possible to get all working in any version, there's still a
bit of work to do to get things just right. If the overall objective is
merely to be able to type in a formula and set the parameters (x min/max &
qty of points) I suspect much easier all round to get VBA to due the work.
IOW, use VBA's 'Evaluate' to calculate the formula and return the x/y
values.

The x/y values could be written to a pair of names for 'permanent' use in
the series formula (special attention required to avoid the 256 limit and
enable unlimited values/elements in a name). However probably simpler to
dump the values into cells. The Series formula could either be (relatively)
simple dynamic names, or the VBA could update the series formula to the new
cell range (which would only change if the number of points changes)

Final thing, a worksheet change event could trigger the code to update
if/when the string formula or any of the parameter changes.

And that's all there is to it....!

Regards,
Peter T

> Bernard
>
> I was looking to create charts without using columns as I found in
> techniques by
> Jan Karel Pieterse  @
> http://www.jkp-ads.com/articles/ChartAnEquation00.asp
> and Stephen Bullen @ http://www.oaltd.co.uk/Excel/Default.htm ChtFrmla.zip
>
> I'm not a 100% certain that it will suit my needs, and I may have to go
> down
> the route of having to use rows and columns anyway, or scale back my
> aspirations.
> Either way I would like to know why the techniques error in 2007.
>
> I created something similar to what I am trying to achieve now, using
> formulas in rows and columns but found that after some time the amount of
> number crunching took 30mins each time it was asked to calculate.
>
> Alternatively, is there a VBA way to mimic the Evaluate formula, as I
> could
> then use that to populate rows and formulas with Values rather than
> repetitive formulae.
>
> Thnaks Very Much.
>
> Kris
>
> "Bernard Liengme" wrote:
>
>> In column A we have x-values
>> In column B we have a formula such as =A1^2
>> In column C we have the other function such as =2*A1+15
>> We select all the data and make a chart.
>>
>> Or did you want to make a chart without using columns of values?
>> Please give us the reference to what you found
>> best wishes
>> --
>> Bernard Liengme
>> http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme
>> Microsoft Excel MVP
>>
>> "Kris_Wright_77" <KrisWright77@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> > I'm looking to plot multiple formulas on a single chart, and came
>> > across a
>> > thread from 8/12/2005 for earlier versions of Excel for a single
>> > function,
>> > which causes errors when recreated in 2007.
>> >
>> > Error is
>> > A Formula in this worksheet contains one or more invalid references
>> > Verify that your formulas contain a valid path, workbook, range name,
>> > and
>> > cell reference
>> >
>> > I presume its due to changes in 2007, and possibly the Evaluate formula
>> > as
>> > cant find it listed in 2007.
>> >
>> > Is there a new technique that avoids the error?
>> >
>> > Thanks Very Much for any help.
>> >
>> > Kris
>>
>> .

0
Peter

Excel Content Type issue, shows default not assigned type.
Question about the way Content Types work between Word and Excel. I have a several content types set up 6 using Excel and one using Word. I'm seeing a weird behavior, where when I associated the content types with a document library, and select new on the Toolbar. In the document properties panel, the Word document shows the content type that is assigned however the Excel documents show the document libraries default content type, and there are no options to change it until I save the document. Steps 1. I create a library to house the documents used as templates for the ...

Excel Security
I learnt that if anyone forgets the password of an Excel file (same to Word or Access files), he can easily get it back by using a tool. Does it mean the Excel file security feature is not trustworthy ? Any suggestion for a real file access protection ? Thanks and regards, Kevin Dont keep a copy of the file accessable by anyone but yourself. "Kevin" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:16d3801c4209d$6d3a2d20$a001280a@phx.gbl... : I learnt that if anyone forgets the password of an Excel : file (same to Word or Access files), he can easily ge...

Legend on Chart

Form coding access 2003 to 2007
Hello comm I have a code in a form (MS Accees 2003)working perfect. However, if I open the form in Access 2007 the concatenation does not work in the field CodSigCat This the code. Could you tell me what is wrong or new in Access 2007? Many thanks Option Compare Database Option Explicit Function CodSigCat() As String CodSigCat = Me!Prov & "" CodSigCat = CodSigCat & Me!Cant & "" CodSigCat = CodSigCat & Me!Dist & "" CodSigCat = CodSigCat & Me!Bloq & "" CodSigCat = CodSigCat & Me!Sect & "" CodSigCat = CodSi...

Excel 2007 files not opening properly..
I have Office 2007 installed.. the one that doesn't come with Outlook. So, I'm still using Outlook 2003. When I double click an XLS file to open it, Excel opens and the file never opens. I have to goto FILE, OPEN, then hit CANCEL and the file will display. This only happens for Excel. Word 2007 works fine. I have tried to uninstall the software and reinstall it, but it did not fix the problem. Anyone else have this problem or know how to fix it? We have Office 2007 on a few computers and I'm the only one with this problem. I found a fix for the problem, which seemed to...

Demographic chart?

how do I embed/Link pictures onto excel database cells?
I have a small database on a worksheet, with about 20 fields. If possible, I want a field with pictures on its records, in order to be displayed when I do a mail merge with word. Is it possible to have this pictures into the database? Or even the link (in this case, producing results in the "mail merge") ? I would apreciate an help, with tks in advance. Ps: I know the better solution - the access option - but it doesn't work for the poor users of this database. ...

Formula HELP!!! :)
I am trying to get the word "Successful" in a cell (B32) if another cell(B31) results/number fall between two percentages of less than 95% and more than 92%. I want B32 to show the word "Successful" if B31 results in a score between 92% and 94%. I guess the 94% must consider 94.9999999 Need ASAP. Thanks!! If the first paragraph you say the range is 92 - 95%. In the second paragraph you say the range is 92 - 94%. Here's my best guess at what you want... The range is greater than or equal to 92% but less than 95%. =IF(AND(B31>=92%,B31<95%)...

Excel 2007 Line Chart with Markers

Excel help #2
Hi - I'm pretty familiar with most stuff in excel and I'd say I'm an intermediate user. I would like to learn how to do vba in excel. Does anyone know of any online help or tutorials that would teach me? If possible, I would like interactive suggestions. Thanks in advance. Newtechie David McRitchie's "Getting Started". Note links to other sites at the boittom of the page. http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm VBA Tutorial from Microsoft. http://support.microsoft.com/support/excel/content/vba101/default.asp There are many more, but these sho...

RE: Excell VS Office
Do they work in the same manner. I need something that will help me with putting inventory on and able to transfer information to a website. Will Office work the same as Excell? The company I am dealing with says to use Excell unless I have something that would be compatiable as Excell. Please help. Thanks. Lets just assume that you are talking about the latest versions currently available, Microsoft Excel 2003 and Microsoft Office 2003 Editions. For the Microsoft Office suite, lets just use Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003. You are comparing the stand alone version of Microsoft ...

How to import an excel document (form) into publisher
I have tried several times to import a form I produced in excell but every time I try it shuts down my publisher document I am importing to. Which versions of the software? What steps are you taking? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Warren" <Warren@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DBC5D466-CE90-4657-BDFD-577984D46723@microsoft.com... >I have tried several times to import a form I produced in excell but every > time I try it shuts down my publisher document I am importing to. Have you tried: 1. Copy > Paste from Excel to Publisher...

Conditional formatting in a cell formula
I am constructing a workbook which will hold a full season's fixtures and results as the season progresses. As there are 16 teams in the competition, there are 8 lines per week's results (home team and away team per line). To simplify things, basically this is how each week will look: [Best viewed in a fixed pitch font] | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 A | Home Team 1 | Pts For | Pts Agst | Away Team 1 | Pts For | Pts Ag [....] H | Home Team 8 | Pts For | Pts Agst | Away Team 8 | Pts For | Pts Ag Using Format | Conditional Formatting, I have set th...

Excel Export Options
Hi, I'm exporting a list from CRM 3.0 to Excel 2003. When I do so, I don't get the option to select whether I want static data or an active link to the data. Therefore, when I email the spreadsheet to someone outside the network, it doesn't contain data. However, my colleague does get the options pop-up, so I guess I've a configuration issue somewhere. Any idea where I look to change this so I get the option? Thanks, On 22 Oct, 18:17, rich...@draig.co.uk wrote: Wait, ignore me, I'm an idiot, I think it did work ok. I disconnected from the network and I was able to open...

Charting/ Graph question

Chart in Chart

How do I create a chart....

Outlook 2007 apointments dropping information
I am having a problem with Outlook appointments dropping information when being saved. For example, one of my Exec Assistants send a meeting request to multiple users with information regarding the location (i.e., call in number, conference room, etc.). The recipient will see this information, then accept the meeting invitation, at which time, when they view the appointment details, the location information is missing. I quickly review several Outlook installations this afternoon, and those users who are on Outlook 2007 SP2 (same build) are experiencing the issue when sending...

Excel interfacing with graphic software
I am not an Excel user - but I need to do a project that involve getting info from Excel. I need to create a template with lots o graphics and have certain information from an Excel file appear i certain places on the template. The data (employee records) is in Affinity which can be exported as a Excel file along with other formats I'm told. I need to produce sheet of paper for every employee listing their employment info. Name SSN, rate of pay, service, benefits, etc. But it needs to be slick. Any help -- slaman99 Export the data to Excel. Then use Word and create a mail merge d...

Chart items moving around

Help Excel!!!
I have a large 40+ page Excel document w/all financial data (i.e., Income Statement, Balance Sheet, Cash Flow Statement, Production Schedules) and all pages are in landscape. How do I get it into Publisher without losing formats? Please help. -- Jeanette ...

PS 2007 Trial version says expired but it's not
Hello I installed the trial version of Project Server 2007 my Windows 2008 SBS Premium. I followed the instructions "Deploy Project Server 2007 to a server farm environment" but when I click on what should be the PWA application I get "Trial Period Expired". Any ideas? Thanks so much!! Keri-Lyn: You need to add a server for Project Server, running at least Windows Server 2003 standard edition. Project Server 2007 is not supported by SBS because of its limited implementation of SharePoint. -- Gary L Chefetz, MVP, MCT, MCITP msProjectExperts htt...