how to change width of label box in pie chart

In EXCEL 2003 (but all versions have given this problem)
When making a pie chart with long label names & especially when including
other data, (%, & values) the names wrap part to next line.
Is there a fix to make the label box wider?
0
rrc (1)

The label width is controlled only by Excel, and you can't do much about it.
You could use a textbox instead, but it will not move with the pie wedge.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"me@rrc" <me@rrc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In EXCEL 2003 (but all versions have given this problem)
> When making a pie chart with long label names & especially when including
> other data, (%, & values) the names wrap part to next line.
> Is there a fix to make the label box wider?

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
9/22/2006 3:55:05 AM
Thanks for update & confirmation.  I can quit trying to change them now.

This is what I thought about the labels after fighting with them for so
long, but I was hoping maybe someone knew of a way into the program to do
this.

Too bad Microsoft wouldn't fix these problems, rather than giving us more
useless "bells & whistles".

Quattro (WordPerfect) doesn't do any better, but people keep telling me
office is so much better.

The text box eliminates changes to the data & the people I am teaching will
probably forget to edit & change the text box too.

Someone mentioned linking the data to the text box.  Do you know how that
would work?

me@rrc

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> The label width is controlled only by Excel, and you can't do much about it.
> You could use a textbox instead, but it will not move with the pie wedge.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com
> _______
>

> "me@rrc" <me@rrc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > In EXCEL 2003 (but all versions have given this problem)
> > When making a pie chart with long label names & especially when including
> > other data, (%, & values) the names wrap part to next line.
> > Is there a fix to make the label box wider?

0
merrc (2)
9/22/2006 9:12:01 PM
You can link textboxes, data labels, axis titles, and the chart title to any
cell in a worksheet. Select the text object, then click in the formula bar,
type =, then click on the cell. The formula bar will show a link formula to
the cell, like =Sheet1!$A$1. When you press enter, the text element becomes
linked to the contents of the cell.

- Jon
-------

> Thanks for update & confirmation.  I can quit trying to change them now.
>
> This is what I thought about the labels after fighting with them for so
> long, but I was hoping maybe someone knew of a way into the program to do
> this.
>
> Too bad Microsoft wouldn't fix these problems, rather than giving us more
> useless "bells & whistles".
>
> Quattro (WordPerfect) doesn't do any better, but people keep telling me
> office is so much better.
>
> The text box eliminates changes to the data & the people I am teaching
> will
> probably forget to edit & change the text box too.
>
> Someone mentioned linking the data to the text box.  Do you know how that
> would work?
>
> me@rrc
>
> "Jon Peltier" wrote:
>
>> The label width is controlled only by Excel, and you can't do much about
>> it.
>> You could use a textbox instead, but it will not move with the pie wedge.
>>
>> - Jon
>> -------
>> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
>> http://PeltierTech.com
>> _______
>>

>> "me@rrc" <me@rrc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > In EXCEL 2003 (but all versions have given this problem)
>> > When making a pie chart with long label names & especially when
>> > including
>> > other data, (%, & values) the names wrap part to next line.
>> > Is there a fix to make the label box wider?

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
9/22/2006 11:01:55 PM
Thanks, I have linked other data for marks & names, & this now makes it
possible to create better charts.  Works well.

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> You can link textboxes, data labels, axis titles, and the chart title to any
> cell in a worksheet. Select the text object, then click in the formula bar,
> type =, then click on the cell. The formula bar will show a link formula to
> the cell, like =Sheet1!$A$1. When you press enter, the text element becomes
> linked to the contents of the cell.
>

> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com
> _______
>

> "me@rrc" <merrc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for update & confirmation.  I can quit trying to change them now.
> >
> > This is what I thought about the labels after fighting with them for so
> > long, but I was hoping maybe someone knew of a way into the program to do
> > this.
> >
> > Too bad Microsoft wouldn't fix these problems, rather than giving us more
> > useless "bells & whistles".
> >
> > Quattro (WordPerfect) doesn't do any better, but people keep telling me
> > office is so much better.
> >
> > The text box eliminates changes to the data & the people I am teaching
> > will
> > probably forget to edit & change the text box too.
> >
> > Someone mentioned linking the data to the text box.  Do you know how that
> > would work?
> >
> > me@rrc
> >
> > "Jon Peltier" wrote:
> >
> >> The label width is controlled only by Excel, and you can't do much about
> >> it.
> >> You could use a textbox instead, but it will not move with the pie wedge.
> >>
> >> - Jon
> >> -------
> >> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> >> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> >> http://PeltierTech.com
> >> _______
> >>

> >> "me@rrc" <me@rrc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
merrc (2)
9/25/2006 12:37:01 AM
woo... this is excellent. I didn't know a text box can link to cell.

But it is not able to put in formula like "=roundup(A1,0)", right?

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> You can link textboxes, data labels, axis titles, and the chart title to any
> cell in a worksheet. Select the text object, then click in the formula bar,
> type =, then click on the cell. The formula bar will show a link formula to
> the cell, like =Sheet1!$A$1. When you press enter, the text element becomes
> linked to the contents of the cell.
>

> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com
> _______
>

> "me@rrc" <merrc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for update & confirmation.  I can quit trying to change them now.
> >
> > This is what I thought about the labels after fighting with them for so
> > long, but I was hoping maybe someone knew of a way into the program to do
> > this.
> >
> > Too bad Microsoft wouldn't fix these problems, rather than giving us more
> > useless "bells & whistles".
> >
> > Quattro (WordPerfect) doesn't do any better, but people keep telling me
> > office is so much better.
> >
> > The text box eliminates changes to the data & the people I am teaching
> > will
> > probably forget to edit & change the text box too.
> >
> > Someone mentioned linking the data to the text box.  Do you know how that
> > would work?
> >
> > me@rrc
> >
> > "Jon Peltier" wrote:
> >
> >> The label width is controlled only by Excel, and you can't do much about
> >> it.
> >> You could use a textbox instead, but it will not move with the pie wedge.
> >>
> >> - Jon
> >> -------
> >> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> >> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> >> http://PeltierTech.com
> >> _______
> >>

> >> "me@rrc" <me@rrc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
Angus (36)
7/20/2007 7:42:03 AM
On Fri, 20 Jul 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
Angus <Angus@discussions.microsoft.com> said:

>woo... this is excellent. I didn't know a text box can link to cell.
>
>But it is not able to put in formula like "=roundup(A1,0)", right?

Correct. But you can link to a cell that does have that formula, and
that's just as good.

--
Del Cotter
del1907 (586)

External data link change

Why does the change change to a number?

Line chart or scatter chart??
I have many sets of data for which the x-values run up from approx 60 to 100, and back down to 60ish. Each set of data consists of 200 points. I can happily display each set individually on a scatter chart, with the categories from, 60 (at point i=1)to 100 (i=100) to 60 (i=200). My probably occurs when I want to display two sets of data on the same graph. For each set, the x-values vary, for example another set could run from 65 to 95 then back to 65, but it still contains 200 points. Excel will only allow one set of values on the category axis, so only one data set will be correctly re...

Track Changes

DST changes for Exchange 5.5

PC Dead, XP HD to new box
My XP PC died. I bought a new PC, Exchanged HD's, but XP will not complete boot up, It gets to recognizing there is new hardware and asks: "New hardware found, do you want to Install??" And " Do you want broadband or Dial-up?" The Old XP PC had PS/2 Keyboard & PS/2 mouse. New has USB Keyboard & mouse. I would suspect that is at least the 'new hardware' found. I can't answer the question as the new PC does not pass the input from USB input to the old XP system. IS THERE, a way to use the new PC's Windows 7 64bit home ...

more on VBA function name change

How to change icon for my application

How to change newsgroup message font

Adding Lines And Boxes, etc. To A Chart ?
Hello, Will blame it on my age. Using Excel 2007 (or, at least trying to) and XP. When I have a chart page opened up, how do I get it to show the bar on the bottom (that the real old versions had) that allows one to click on one of its icons shown to "draw" lines, arrowed lines, boxes, add text with a box, etc on the chart itself ? Thanks, Bob Hi, With the chart selected you can use the Insert tab > Illustrations > Shapes. To add shapes to the chart. Textbox is in the Text group of the Insert tab. Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypo...

Change a formula to an acual number

Problem Changing an Investment Name

Should I change this code?

Nonnumerical Axis in Excel Charts
Hello, Essentially, when plotting a series of Acid/Base ratios in cells with text formatting (ex. "0/100", "10/90", etc.") (X-axis) versus temperature change per ratio (Y-axis), Excel charts the actual row numbers (ex. 1, 2, 3, etc.) for the X-axis instead of "0/100", "10/90", etc. Fraction and Number formatting of the ratio cells does not change this either. Thank you. Robert Agee Purdue University It depends which chart type you use. If you use column chart type, the X axis should be your lables (10/90, etc.) not row numbers. If you use ...

How to change default font in Outlook 2003

Creating charts from formula results
Im trying to create a chart in Excel based on the reult of a column or formula's I wrote. The chart just seems to show the formula as its values, can anyone help? I had a list of employee ages and used a formula to indicate their age bracket (e.g. 16-24, 25-30, 31-40 etc). I now want a bar chart that will show how many employee's are in each bracket. Help is much appreciated asap as its for my job. Thanks in advance. -- Boba Fett ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Boba Fett's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo...

BUG?!: PP 2007 does display all "Paste as link" charts of Excel 20
I discovered a bug in Excel / PP 2007 which I can easily reproduce. I have a simple "test" files if somebody wants to take a look. The basic outline is like this. 1) I create some graphs in Excel with considerable distance, so that they are not both visible on the screen simontainously. 2) I copy (by selecting a range containing the graphs), then paste-link (as dynamic graphics) the two chars into PP, each in its separate slide. 3) Now, If I rightclick and choose "update", the one which is not visible in Excel will not be shown! To me, it seems like Excel saves...

icon changes with change of extension

Combo Box on Forms
Hi, I am using a combo box on a form that has several items w/ one being Other. If the user selects other I want them to be able to input what they want so that it will go into the table instead of just the "Other". I just am not really sure on how to do that. Can you help? Thanks, Jaime In design view click on VIEW - Properties and the the combo. Then change Limit To List to No. -- KARL DEWEY Build a little - Test a little "jseger22@yahoo.com" wrote: > Hi, > > I am using a combo box on a form that has several items w/ one being > Other. If the use...

Field Type Change

Data Labels On 3-D Bar Charts
I REALLY need to find a way to set my data labels at center or outside, the choices in a reguar bar chart. Is there any way to do that? And if you happen anyone happens to know if it is in any add-ins. I'm waiting to get the downloads UN-BLOCKED!! My work is a joke. Thanks ...

Tracking Changes