How to add a Vertical Line to a Column or Line Chart with two axes already in use?

Hi All,

I need to add a vertical line to a column / line chart combo where the
secondary axis is already in use.

I have ready through John Peltier's site
(http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ComboCharts.html) and
specifically the two options he has under the 'Special Effects and
Features' section for adding vertical lines to a chart, but both
require the use of a secondary axis which is then hidden.  That is not
an option for me as I am already using that secondary axis.

I am currently using a line object drawn over the top of the chart
object and manually positioned on the chart as per this image:

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/5541/verticallineonexcelcombfm9.png

Is there any way to programmatically determine the location that I
would need to put the line object to have it divide between two points
on the x-axis (say, between Nov 2006 and Dec 2006), or to add it to
the chart object itself without losing what is already there?

Thanks,

Alan.

else associated with me.

My current valid email address is:

1bupdvc02@sneakemail.com

This is valid as is.  It is not munged, or altered at all.

deactivated due to spam.  If so, and you want
email address.

ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

0
alan4377 (173)

Describe your chart. The extra axes are not strictly necessary, as an XY
series can share axes with many other kinds of chart. It's just easier for
those inexperienced in charting  to use the secondary axis.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"Alan" <alan@alan.alan> wrote in message

> Hi All,
>
> I need to add a vertical line to a column / line chart combo where the
> secondary axis is already in use.
>
> I have ready through John Peltier's site
> (http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ComboCharts.html) and
> specifically the two options he has under the 'Special Effects and
> Features' section for adding vertical lines to a chart, but both
> require the use of a secondary axis which is then hidden.  That is not
> an option for me as I am already using that secondary axis.
>
> I am currently using a line object drawn over the top of the chart
> object and manually positioned on the chart as per this image:
>
> http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/5541/verticallineonexcelcombfm9.png
>
> Is there any way to programmatically determine the location that I
> would need to put the line object to have it divide between two points
> on the x-axis (say, between Nov 2006 and Dec 2006), or to add it to
> the chart object itself without losing what is already there?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alan.
> --
>
> The views expressed are my own, and not those of my employer or anyone
> else associated with me.
>
> My current valid email address is:
>
> 1bupdvc02@sneakemail.com
>
> This is valid as is.  It is not munged, or altered at all.
>
> It will be valid for AT LEAST one month from the date of this post.
>
> If you are trying to contact me after that time,
> it MAY still be valid, but may also have been
> deactivated due to spam.  If so, and you want
> to contact me by email, try searching for a
> more recent post by me to find my current
> email address.
>
> The following is a (probably!) totally unique
> and meaningless string of characters that you
> can use to find posts by me in a search engine:
>
> ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
12/11/2006 4:23:35 AM

"Jon Peltier" <jonxlmvpNO@SPAMpeltiertech.com> wrote in message
> Describe your chart. The extra axes are not strictly necessary, as
> an XY series can share axes with many other kinds of chart. It's
> just easier for those inexperienced in charting  to use the
> secondary axis.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com
> _______
>

> "Alan" <alan@alan.alan> wrote in message
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I need to add a vertical line to a column / line chart combo where
>> the
>> secondary axis is already in use.
>>
>> I have ready through John Peltier's site
>> (http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ComboCharts.html) and
>> specifically the two options he has under the 'Special Effects and
>> Features' section for adding vertical lines to a chart, but both
>> require the use of a secondary axis which is then hidden.  That is
>> not
>> an option for me as I am already using that secondary axis.
>>
>> I am currently using a line object drawn over the top of the chart
>> object and manually positioned on the chart as per this image:
>>
>> http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/5541/verticallineonexcelcombfm9.png
>>
>> Is there any way to programmatically determine the location that I
>> would need to put the line object to have it divide between two
>> points
>> on the x-axis (say, between Nov 2006 and Dec 2006), or to add it to
>> the chart object itself without losing what is already there?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Alan.

Hi Jon,

Thank you for your reply.

I am not sure what you mean by, "Describe your chart".

Did you look at the graphic I posted the link to which is a PNG of the
chart as it currently works (with the line object manually positioned
over the chart object)?

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/5541/verticallineonexcelcombfm9.png

Obviously I *could* combine both the monthly and annualised totals
onto one axis, but the differences in scale (around a factor of 10)
would make that less than desireable as the monthly (line chart)
figures would be 'scrunched' into a small section at the bottom of the
chart and would be hard to read.

Thanks,

Alan.

else associated with me.

My current valid email address is:

1bupdvc02@sneakemail.com

This is valid as is.  It is not munged, or altered at all.

deactivated due to spam.  If so, and you want
email address.

ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

0
alan4377 (173)
12/12/2006 4:36:51 AM
Well, duh, I never clicked on the link.

Double click on the X axis. What is the Base Unit? If it is Day(s), you can
simply plot your XY series using the desired date. If it is Month(s), you
need to convert the date to elapsed months. October 2006 comes out to the
1281st month (2006-1900)*12+(10-1). To put a vertical line between October
and November 2006, use X=1281.5 for your XY series.

- Jon
-------

> [...]
> hard to read.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alan.
> --
>
> The views expressed are my own, and not those of my employer or anyone
> else associated with me.
>
> My current valid email address is:
>
> 1bupdvc02@sneakemail.com
>
> This is valid as is.  It is not munged, or altered at all.
>
> It will be valid for AT LEAST one month from the date of this post.
>
> If you are trying to contact me after that time,
> it MAY still be valid, but may also have been
> deactivated due to spam.  If so, and you want
> to contact me by email, try searching for a
> more recent post by me to find my current
> email address.
>
> The following is a (probably!) totally unique
> and meaningless string of characters that you
> can use to find posts by me in a search engine:

12/12/2006 10:27:15 PM
> Well, duh, I never clicked on the link.
>
> Double click on the X axis. What is the Base Unit? If it is Day(s),
> you can simply plot your XY series using the desired date. If it is
> Month(s), you need to convert the date to elapsed months. October
> 2006 comes out to the 1281st month (2006-1900)*12+(10-1). To put a
> vertical line between October and November 2006, use X=1281.5 for
> your XY series.

Jon,

I know you are probably immune to the thanks and praise, but I am
seriously impressed!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

Alan.

else associated with me.

My current valid email address is:

1bupdvc02@sneakemail.com

This is valid as is.  It is not munged, or altered at all.

deactivated due to spam.  If so, and you want
email address.

ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

0
alan4377 (173)
12/13/2006 1:07:59 AM
You're welcome. I meant to add, because of the ease of use of dates rather
than computing months, I almost always use Day(s) as my Base Unit.

- Jon
-------

> "Jon Peltier" <jonxlmvpNO@SPAMpeltiertech.com> wrote in message
>> Well, duh, I never clicked on the link.
>>
>> Double click on the X axis. What is the Base Unit? If it is Day(s), you
>> can simply plot your XY series using the desired date. If it is Month(s),
>> you need to convert the date to elapsed months. October 2006 comes out to
>> the 1281st month (2006-1900)*12+(10-1). To put a vertical line between
>> October and November 2006, use X=1281.5 for your XY series.
>>

> Jon,
>
> I know you are probably immune to the thanks and praise, but I am
> seriously impressed!
>
> Thank you, thank you, thank you!!
>
> Alan.
>
> --
>
> The views expressed are my own, and not those of my employer or anyone
> else associated with me.
>
> My current valid email address is:
>
> 1bupdvc02@sneakemail.com
>
> This is valid as is.  It is not munged, or altered at all.
>
> It will be valid for AT LEAST one month from the date of this post.
>
> If you are trying to contact me after that time,
> it MAY still be valid, but may also have been
> deactivated due to spam.  If so, and you want
> to contact me by email, try searching for a
> more recent post by me to find my current
> email address.
>
> The following is a (probably!) totally unique
> and meaningless string of characters that you
> can use to find posts by me in a search engine:
>
> ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
12/13/2006 3:05:21 AM

> You're welcome. I meant to add, because of the ease of use of dates
> rather than computing months, I almost always use Day(s) as my Base
> Unit.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com
> _______

No problem - months works fine in this case, but I will bear it in
mind for future reference.

Thanks again,

Alan.

else associated with me.

My current valid email address is:

1bupdvc02@sneakemail.com

This is valid as is.  It is not munged, or altered at all.

deactivated due to spam.  If so, and you want
email address.

ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

0
alan4377 (173)

Add Lookup Fields to Entity

Using CRM Application Pool for Custom ASP.NET application
Hi All I am having 2 server based CRM configuration set that is CRM database is on other server, My intallation on multi server went well and CRM is working fine. I have asp.net application which also uses the same database server as CRM and it is deployed on CRM web server. I have added this ASP.NET application to the Application Pool that CRM is using so that I don't have problem in Connecting to Database server however though CRM is able to connect to the database my ASP.NET application is not getting trusted connection on sql server. What am i doing wrong here? Do I have to ...

Some first problems using word 2007
Hello. I have some problem using word 2007 first time. Old documents don't appear as they used to. When there is a header-style, I see that it is incorrect, and there is an annoying number (1bu, 2bu , ... 20bu) at each header. Second thing : I change a line and other lines are change too. I don't know where can I change a header-style, so I assume this may be the problem. Thanks :) Are you saying that all of your existing documents have a problem with numbering? I'm assuming you are referring to *headings* and heading numbers rather than headers (the area abov...

Hide certain columns in range
Hi All........ I have a Range named "Months" which is B25:AW25. Each cell in that range contains a number of 1-12 standing for a month. I would like to be able to hide all columns except the Month number I choose, and the one on each side of it. For example, if I choose the month 7, then I want to hide all columns except those with a 6,7, or 8 in my range. And of course if I choose month 1, I want all except 12, 1, and 2 to be hidden, etc. TIA for any ideas Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 Are your month numbers in consecutive order through the range B25:AW25 li...

How do I change the source worksheet for 100 charts automatically.
I have a worksheet with 100 charts that source a set of five worksheets, financial forecast A. I create several forecasts (sets of 5 worksheets) and copy over worksheet with 100 charts, but the charts reference financial forecast A when I want them to source from financial forecast B. To change the chart source to financial forecast B, I now have to open each chart and change the source from A to B. Is there a way to do this automatically, similar to the edit, find, replace function for data in cells? Hi, You would need to write VBA code to do this. Given you know what the value is...

Problems creating a PDF file from a report using autoexec macro
Hi, I am using the autoexec macro to run a report and print it out as a pdf file. My steps in the autoexec macro are 1. OpenReport 2. Print Out 3. RunCode 4. Quit. The RunCode is designed to delay the closing of the application by two minutes so that the pdf file can be created. Whenever I run this, I get a box that comes up and says "Print Macro Definitions" Include for Macro _Properties _Actions and Arguments _Permissions by User and Group. The application hangs on this without closing. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong? Is Print Out the right command? Tha...

Open .msi files as a Limited User by using RUNAS
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 ; Open .msi files as a Limited User by using RUNAS ; [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Msi.Package\shell\runas\command] @=hex(2):22,00,25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f, 00,6f,00,74,\ 00,25,00,5c,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c, 00,6d,00,\ 73,00,69,00,65,00,78,00,65,00,63,00,2e, 00,65,00,78,00,65,00,22,00,20,00,2f,\ 00,69,00,20,00,22,00,25,00,31,00,22,00,20,00,25,00,2a,00,00,00 That's all very well, but it's not magic! You will still need the correct password of a valid user profile on that machine, tha...

Excel Add Ins

Hiding/Unhiding several lines at the click of a button
Is there a code i could implement into my sheets to unhide or hide the same line on several sheets I want to enter the line number into a cell Press a button called either 'HIDE' or 'UNHIDE' The code selects the line number entered in the cell on all sheets and either hides or unhides them. Thanks Mally -- HTH Bob Phillips ... looking out across Poole Harbour to the Purbecks (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Mally" <mallybee69@aol.com> wrote in message news:039701c3c2e3$2f0b4ba0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Is there a code ...

Add on

POS 2009 Add-In: Populating a Task Pad

Logarithm scaling for charts
When using logarithmic scaling for charts the scaling interval is given in powers of 10 (1, 10, 100, 1000 etc). I want to be able to change the scaling interval to show data at a smaller log. interval (e.g. between 100 and 200). This is not at present possible in Excel but it would be extremely useful. vroomvondel wrote: > When using logarithmic scaling for charts the scaling interval is given in > powers of 10 (1, 10, 100, 1000 etc). I want to be able to change the scaling > interval to show data at a smaller log. interval (e.g. between 100 and 200). > This is not at present p...

Stack Bar Charts
I have yearly information that I would like to graph in a stacked bar chart. I have years 2005 to present Two companies I am comparing with two variables for each company each year. I would like to have the stack bar chart by year reflect the stack of Co A vs Co B on variable 1 + 2. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. You want a clustered-stacked chart: http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/clustered-stacked-column-charts/ http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/clustered-stacked-bar-charts/ - Jon ------- Jon Peltier Peltier Technical Services, Inc. http://peltiertech.com/ Sean wrote: > ...

Add-in cannot be loaded OL07

BOLD subject line in BETA or not?
Has the latest BETA of WLM finally addressed the issue for some of the subject line not being BOLD text as the From field from unread messages in email? Yes... All fields for unread are Bold Black(assuming a rule doesn' change the = color after receipt) All unread fields are Black instead of Gray. -- ....winston ms-mvp mail "paula" wrote in message news:u5FD3VmNLHA.2276@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... Has the latest BETA of WLM finally addressed the issue for some of the subject line not being BOLD text as the From field from unread messages = in email? ...

Printing two sheets on 1 page
Is it possible in Excel to print out two sheets on a single page. i.e. I'd like to print out cells A1 to L25 on sheet1 then cells A1 to G9 on sheet2. Thanks for the help, Chris Ok I found how to print more than 1 sheet per page but is there a way to specify how much of a page to print. I'd like sheet 1 to take up 2/3's of the page and sheet 2 to take up the bottom 1/3 of the page. Thanks, Chris ...

Format text to add character

UDP using CAsyncSocket
I have always used CAsyncSocket to make TCP connections. But for my current project I need to receive from a UDP stream. I thought I would just use CAsyncSocket and specify SOCK_DGRAM in the Create function. I asked my client for the address and port I should be using. He told me the port number and said "its UDP, I don't need an address". I said "Oh" and I left. I never connected to UDP before so I don't know. Now I am in my office and I am looking stuff up and I am confused... For UDP, do I need an address to receive data as a client? ...

two sql tranform statement on one report
How do i get two tranforms statement on the same report but the pivot part to only be used like below Tranform Select From Where Group By Pivot in (1,3,5,7) then another on same report Tranform Select From Where Group By Pivot in (2,4,6,8) any ideas??? One way I can think of is to use sub-reports. The other option would be to use a union query to combine the two crosstab queries if the queries were returning the same basic data. And then group by the "source" SELECT "A" as Source, FldA, FldB , [1] as A, [3] as B, [5] as C, [7...

Rank a Column + 1 cell from 2nd Col
I have 6 columns: A B C D E F 274 1 269 ? 279 ? 275 2 270 ? 280 ? 276 3 271 ? 281 ? 288 4 283 ? 293 ? Column B represents a simple 'Rank' of Column A In the first row of column 'D' I want the rank of the 269 in relatio to the figures in column 'A' which equals 1. I also want the rank o 270, 271 & 272 in relation to their position on Column 'A' - whic would equal 1, 1, 4 In Column 'F' I want the rank of those figures in 'E' relation to th values of column 'A'. Which would equal 4, 4, 4, 5 Any help would ...

programatically change chart
I am using powerpoint to programatically create slides displaying MS GRaph Charts. I am using .NET and C#. I am having trouble location help for this topic. My questions are: 1. I want to programatically change the direction of the Category Axis. I wish to rotate them so they are upright instead of on their side. How can I do this? objCatAxis.TickLabels.Orientation = Graph.XlTicklabelOrientationUpWard does not seem to be working. 2. I am having trouble defining colors for my charts. It seems to be happening automatically. I want to control which colors get displayed. I wish to do this pro...

Installing Money 2006 on Two Machines?
X-No-Archive: yes Is it possible to install Money 2006 on two machines? I know there was some Activation process involved when I installed it on my Desktop. Now I want to install it on my Laptop also. Can I do that, or will it complain...? Thanks! In microsoft.public.money, John Simon wrote: > >Is it possible to install Money 2006 on two machines? I know there was some >Activation process involved when I installed it on my Desktop. Now I want to >install it on my Laptop also. Can I do that, or will it complain...? > The former. Help->About->LicenseTerms explai...

Ex2000 Used as Relay?
The administrator's mailbox is full of Undeliverable messages. After a closer look, all the messages were sent to random recipients. Not only that, the original e-mail were not sent by anyone from our domain but it message stated that the message came from our server What is going on here? Here are two examples of return message -----Original Message---- From: MAILER-DAEMON@bounced-mail.com [mailto:MAILER-DAEMON@bounced-mail.com] Sent: Saturday, February 07, 2004 5:55 P To: Administrato Subject: Undeliverable: Returned mail: see transcript for detail Your messag Sent: Date: Sat, 7 F...