how do you split the scale (x-axis) on a curve graph?

In Excel, how do you split the scale on the x-axis to obtain a better
representation of a curve (scatter with smoothed lines) graph?  I have many
points over a short range, but other points also far from that range.
If it helps, it is a stress-strain curve, where i try to show the yield
stress, the proportional limit, the ultimate stress, and modulus of
elasticity.
Thanks

Now this is one that I have specific experience with as it is directly
related to my Master's thesis.   I was looking at the yield stress of an
oriented polymer film at a pull angle off of the orientation axis.   I
plotted the angle as the X value and the Yield stress on a logarithmic Y
axis.   It's been a while so I'd have to check back in my thesis.

If you want to split either axis, take a look at this

http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/BrokenYAxis.html

Barb

"valeval1000" <valeval1000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In Excel, how do you split the scale on the x-axis to obtain a better
> representation of a curve (scatter with smoothed lines) graph?  I have
many
> points over a short range, but other points also far from that range.
> If it helps, it is a stress-strain curve, where i try to show the yield
> stress, the proportional limit, the ultimate stress, and modulus of
> elasticity.
> Thanks

0
breinhardt (272)

split problem
Hi all, I am interesting to break a string with spaces into an array with substrings and to have it in the same cell. for example: dim MyString as string MyString = range("A1").value ' range("A1").value = "Good morning" range("A1").value = split(MyString, " "). The problem is that instead of: Good morning as range("A1").value I get only: morning. Please help me to fix it! Thanks Eli 'Once you split it returns an array; so that you could try Dim MyString As String MyString = Range("A1&q...

Set graph attributes in worksheet?
I have a scatter plot with about 30 -40 points. I would like to be able to set the attributes for each point in a worksheet area. The idea is that points 1-4, 8-9 and 11 could be blue squares whilst points 5-7, 10 and the rest are green circles. The problem is that the groups are not contiguous and change from day to day. Is this possible? Steve Hi, Simplest thing is to use multiple series. Then either manually or with formula populate the appropriate points in each series. This is a similar approach to the one used for conditional charts http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Conditional...

A very simple graph gives me headache!!
Hi All I want to draw a "Demand" line graph. If the price of apples is $1 per kg, the demand would be 100kg, if the price is $2 the demand would drop to 90kg, etc... The example values are like this: $2 ... 100 $4 ... 90 $6 ... 85 $8 ... 74 $10 ... 60 $12 ... 50 I created 2 columns Cost and Demand. If i just click a graph button on the insert tab and select the graph, using the data in the columns it gives me 2 sets of values. What i need is the x-axis to be qty demanded and the y-axis, the Price/kg. thanx Herman Hi, I entered your values, gave each column a heading, hit th...

How to plot chart with 2 different y-axis with a common x-axis?
I want to plot on the same chart y-values with different units. The x-axis will be the same for both. How do I do it? "ARC" <ARC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8ADB9688-277A-4E36-A3CB-5E3BFA708EA8@microsoft.com... >I want to plot on the same chart y-values with different units. The x-axis > will be the same for both. How do I do it? For whichever series you want on the second Y-axis, Format Data Series/ Axis Select secondary axis -- David Biddulph ...

x/z report receipt variable?
Does anyone know if there is a receipt variable for the X or Z Reports for the following: Total Taxable Sales Total Non-Taxable Sales Nope, neither of those exist. -- Glenn Adams Tiber Creek Consulting http://www.tibercreek.com glenn@tibercreek.com ---------------------------------------------- Please DO NOT respond to me directly but post all responses here in the newsgroup so that all can share the information "root" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:%23eKNy6rwFHA.1168@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Does anyone know if there is a receipt ...

combining two line charts with different x axis intervals
Hi newsgroup, I'm not getting around this one and hope that I'm just not clever enough ;) I try to get two line charts in the same graph, but they have different x axis intervals. Is this possible? For better understanding, an example of the first being x y 1 1 2 2 3 3 4 4 5 5 6 6 7 7 8 8 9 9 and an example of the second being x y 1 2 3 2 5 2 7 2 9 2 Thanks a lot in advance! Chris Hi, Try using a xy-scatter chart rather than a Line chart. Cheers Andy On 12/05/2010 11:50, Chris J Denver wrote: > Hi n...

Need advice: typing credit card charges into splits
I use Money 2005. Every month I have to manually type each and every credit card charge into the split category table for the check I use to pay the credit card balance. I use a credit card from U.S. Bank. Is there a way to download these charges directly into the split category table, so I don't have to go through the process of typing each charge individually? I dread this chore every month. Thanks in advance, and please forgive me if this topic has already been addressed. I just couldn't find any info on it in recent posts. David In microsoft.public.money, David S. w...

re: deleting file after x days
How can i have a file delete itself after 30 odd days. I have a file i'm going to trial out to certain individuals. how can i set the file to delete itself after 30 days from when it was loaded on to their system. is this possible? your help is appreciated. thanks. edul Delete the file is I think not a good idea? Maybe the user have some information in it??? There is always a way to use your workbook if anybody wants it. VBA is not save. But most people you can foolish with something like this Put this in the workbook open event of the workbook. After the date the file will be clos...

Outlook 2003 x Newsgroups
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0849_01C46756.68C9A3B0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I need to read newgroups with my outlook 2003. This is possible? How to do? Tks Kdti Brazil ------=_NextPart_000_0849_01C46756.68C9A3B0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; = ...

Converting rows to columns on a large scale
I have a workbook of names and addresses. All information is in column A... John Doe 111 5th st. New York, NY Joe Smith 1st St. E Chicago, IL etc. I want to convert this entire workbook to column form as follows, John Doe 111 5th St New York, NY Joe Smith 1st St. E Chicago, IL Is there a way for me to do this without using "Paste Special" and "Transpose" for each individual entry.....or tediously moving each entry one by one? bootsy ...

Office X for the Mac to Office 2004
I have downloaded the 2004 updater and when I attempt to upgrade, I get a pop up window that tells me the updater can not find the correct version of Office on my machine. I am running OS 10.3.9 and Office version 10.1.6 -- that I am attempting to upgrade. Any ideas? 10.1.6 is the latest version of Office X. Office 2004 is Office 11. You would need to purchase Office 2004 to upgrade, and it would be a separate program, NOT an update to Office X. On 5/4/05 3:50 PM, "cabrams@mn.rr.com" wrote: > I have downloaded the 2004 updater and when I attempt to upgrade, I get > a pop...

Runtime Error code: 429, Active X component can't create object,
Hi, we just installed offcie 2007 professional, and every time a user opes word 2007, she get the follwoing error Runtime Error code: 429, Active X component can't create object. I did re-installed offcie 2007, still the same error. You receive run-time error 429 when you automate Office applications http://support.microsoft.com/kb/828550 -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Jey" <Jey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:49FE6B8E-45BA-4183-9A76-588824E1FCEF@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > we just installed offcie 2007 professi...

Can I save 4 x 1page publisher documents to one 4pge doc?
I have a newsletter set up on four separate publisher documents. I need to combine them into one four page document. Is there any easy way to do this rather than copy each box etc across one at a time. I am no publisher expert! Select all, group, copy. You don't need to copy/paste one object at a time. You might find things easier to do if you open the Office clipboard in the Edit menu. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "L D Solomon" <L D Solomon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3A7450E5-FDED-4A53-A621-217C0DEF1886@microsoft.com... >I have...

How do I make a graphic with non-numerical data on X axis ?
I would like to make a graphic with non-numerical data on X axis (e.g. names of persons or cities). When I use the normal graphic construction procedure in Excell, numbers are generated (1, 2, 3 ...) in place of the text of the X axis column. can anyone help me? Thanks. Select the chart, and choose Source Data from the Chart menu. Click on the Series tab. Make sure the appropriate range is indicated in the Category (X) Axis Labels box. This cannot be done in an XY chart, but will work for Line, Column, and other chart types. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and...

Stagger X-axis text
In 1-2-3 I could stagger the text in the X-axis. In Excel it seems that I can only rotate the text to 90 degrees. Is there a way to stagger and leave horizontal? Specifically, I have all the provinces (or 10 of them) across the axis and they take up room when spelt out (no abbreviations allowed). I would rather the first, third, fifth ... etc. be higher and the second, fourth etc. be lower to allow the chart to be narrower and still read the text clearly. Cheers, Deborah >-----Original Message----- >In 1-2-3 I could stagger the text in the X-axis. In Excel it seems Deborah I would...

Can I copy x-y scatter plot data direct from one plot to another?
I would like to add data from one or more x-y scatter plots to another x-y scatter plot. I have several plots containing data each representing a small map. I would like to add one of those plots (maps) to an existing plot (map) without individually creating a set of new series and adding each one, one at a time, to the plot. I would prefer to somehow simply copy and past the plot or somehow reference the plot to be added but can find no commands to allow me to do this. Thank you for you time. That's an interesting idea but I don't know of any easy way to do it. Depending on...

Add "Last X" values to the DUE picklist on the Activities View
On the Activities View in CRM 3.0 and 4.0 there is only the ability to select "Next X" values in the Due: pickllist. This applies when viewing Open and Closed activities. Having only forward looking Due: choices for closed/historical activites adds no value and forces the user to create an Advanced Find query each time their researching historical activity. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do n...

Cluster stacked graph AND line combo graph?
Is there a way to create a cluster stacked bar graph AND a line combo graph all in one chart? My data layout: Set 1 - Stacked Bar - Showing values A and B Set 2 - Stacked Bar - Showing values C and D Set 3 - Line graph with line connection These 3 sets would each be in one category. For example, I would want to show Q1 with all 3 sets, Q2 with all 3 sets... etc. Hope that makes sense. Any ideas?! Thanks! Hi, There's a thing called 'Columns and Lines' at http://www.edferrero.com/charting.aspx that may do what you want. Ed Ferrero <robotman@gmail.com> wrote in mess...

Dual-Axis Chart
How would I go about adding a second data series to a chart in Microsoft Access to be displayed on a dual axis chart? Please disregard my original post as I have been able to create a dual axis chart in Access. My question now is, how can I change a particular data series type from a bar to a line? I can't seem to figure it out. Thanks in advance, Chad "Chad" wrote: > How would I go about adding a second data series to a chart in Microsoft > Access to be displayed on a dual axis chart? ...

Upgrading from Office X Service Pack 1
Hello I purchased Office X (Student and Teacher Edition) today. Applications installed OK, but upgrade to 10.1.2 from Service Pack 1 fails. At the first attempt I get "This updater could not find Office v.X or you have clicked cancel......" I then remove the MS Component Plugin file. The installer finds the directory but returns the message "An error prevented the update from completing. 11002:2,-14" I have tried all the recommended trouble shooting techniques including - reboot my Mac (!), switch virus checker off, shut down all other applications, I've even tried r...

Excel 2007: Line where a gap should be, but only when plotting on a horizontal date axis
I have a series of weekly values that I am trying to plot. For some weeks there is no data is present and the cells are empty (no formula results or anything). When I plot the data and set the horizontal axis option to 'Date Axis' Excel plots a line through the missing data, where I want gaps. I have set the option for Excel to leave a gap (under Select Data > Empty and Hidden Cells) in the plot but it is ignoring the setting. If I set the axis to 'Text Axis' it plots the line with gaps but I lose the benefits that come with setting the horizontal axis as a Date Axis. Any...

How to change y axis automatic time range?
I am charting end times for my batch stream. Sometime it finishes at 11pm sometimes at 3am and everywhere in between. When i create the chart it choose the y-axis time ranges for me. Starting range is 12am to 5am the next day. I would like to change the y-axis range from 10pm to 10am next day. How can i do that???? Is the problem that the time increases up to midnight then starts over at zero? Quick and Dirty: add 1 to times after midnight. More rigorous: enter the date and time for each cell. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech...

Anomaly skewing Axis units
Hi. I am graphing numbers around $18 million. I have an anomaly that is around $55 billion. I've seen a graph where the bar with the $55 billion has a "slash" through it, and then the axis matches the $18 million numbers, with a "primary driver" note for the $55 b. I'm not sure how to create this and would appreciate any suggestions. Cheers, Stephanie Jon's page should help you http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/BrokenYAxis.html best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme remove caps from email "Stephanie...

Alternate Y axis in bar charts
I have a bar chart with 2 data series on it. I want to use separate y axes for each, but the bars keep appearing on top of eachother, no matter what I try. I want one set of bars to use the left hand Y axis and the other set of bars to use the axis on the right side. 2-D bar charts apparently don't do this. Is there a way to perform this function? Hi, Have a look at this page. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ColumnsOnTwoAxes.html Cheers Andy Patty wrote: > I have a bar chart with 2 data series on it. I want to use separate y axes > for each, but the bars keep appea...

Selecting Data Points from graph
Hi, I have an Excel graph that i want to select points from, i have to select 100 or so points from a set of about 1000, what i would like to do is scroll the pointer along the graph and when i hit a point i would like to keep i want to be able to press enter or something and have that points data put into a new table/column on the spreadsheet. Is it possible to do this with some form of macro or VB code thanks in advance Keith Keith, There still isn't an easy VBA method to tell what graph point is selected - This has been a desired addition to Excel for a long time. But, there i...