how do i update a chart area automatically

Hello,

I have an offset formula I use to update a chart plotted by columns.  I name
the ranges and change the range areas to the offset formula...something like
this =Offset(Sheet1! $A$2,0,0,CountA(Sheet1! $A:A)-1).  Basically, makes all
the rows available for charting minus the row with the label.  I use this
same technique for two columns...Column A acts as the Category x axis and
Column B as the value axis.   Works beautifully

Now, I would like to come up with a way to plot by rows.  My values would
grow as new field names would be added across the columns...specifically,
Jan, Feb, March and then have April, May and June added to the plot area
automatically.

 C138:C147 would have the names of sales reps and D137:F137 would hold the
Month labels and then D138: F147 would list the values.  So the list of sales
reps is static, but new data comes in for each month and needs to be added to
the charts.  I have many of these charts on a dash board and do not want to
update all of them every month.  Any suggestions would be appreciated
alathough I want to use VBA as a last resort.

Thanks!
0
Kay (174)

You use the same idea with the OFFSET formula. The syntax of OFFSET is:

OFFSET(range, offset rows, offset columns, resize rows, resize columns)

so your month label range would have a "refers to" definition like

=OFFSET(Sheet1!$D$137,0,0,1,COUNTA(Sheet1!$137:$137))

This assumes only the dates appear in row 137, and that a date header is not
added until data for the date is added. The easiest way to define the value
ranges with respect to the month range (MonthRange below) is:

=OFFSET(MonthRange,1,0)
=OFFSET(MonthRange,2,0)
=OFFSET(MonthRange,3,0)
etc.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

"Kay" <Kay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have an offset formula I use to update a chart plotted by columns.  I
> name
> the ranges and change the range areas to the offset formula...something
> like
> this =Offset(Sheet1! $A$2,0,0,CountA(Sheet1! $A:A)-1).  Basically, makes
> all
> the rows available for charting minus the row with the label.  I use this
> same technique for two columns...Column A acts as the Category x axis and
> Column B as the value axis.   Works beautifully
>
> Now, I would like to come up with a way to plot by rows.  My values would
> grow as new field names would be added across the columns...specifically,
> Jan, Feb, March and then have April, May and June added to the plot area
> automatically.
>
> C138:C147 would have the names of sales reps and D137:F137 would hold the
> Month labels and then D138: F147 would list the values.  So the list of
> sales
> reps is static, but new data comes in for each month and needs to be added
> the charts.  I have many of these charts on a dash board and do not want
> update all of them every month.  Any suggestions would be appreciated
> alathough I want to use VBA as a last resort.
>
> Thanks!

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
1/30/2006 2:21:37 AM
Jon,

I am sorry it has taken me so long to respond to your answer, but I have
been travelling on buisness.  I appreciate your responseD!!!

I am not sure I understand your explanation of the MonthRanges.  Do I need
to create multiple range names for each column of data that hold the values?

                                    Jan              Feb          Mar
Salespeople's Names        4589          1234        4589
MORE                              2456          4879        12365
MORE                              48795         7845        45623

Kay

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> You use the same idea with the OFFSET formula. The syntax of OFFSET is:
>
> OFFSET(range, offset rows, offset columns, resize rows, resize columns)
>
> so your month label range would have a "refers to" definition like
>
> =OFFSET(Sheet1!$D$137,0,0,1,COUNTA(Sheet1!$137:$137))
>
> This assumes only the dates appear in row 137, and that a date header is not
> added until data for the date is added. The easiest way to define the value
> ranges with respect to the month range (MonthRange below) is:
>
> =OFFSET(MonthRange,1,0)
> =OFFSET(MonthRange,2,0)
> =OFFSET(MonthRange,3,0)
> etc.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Peltier Technical Services
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com/
> _______
>
> "Kay" <Kay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have an offset formula I use to update a chart plotted by columns.  I
> > name
> > the ranges and change the range areas to the offset formula...something
> > like
> > this =Offset(Sheet1! $A$2,0,0,CountA(Sheet1! $A:A)-1).  Basically, makes
> > all
> > the rows available for charting minus the row with the label.  I use this
> > same technique for two columns...Column A acts as the Category x axis and
> > Column B as the value axis.   Works beautifully
> >
> > Now, I would like to come up with a way to plot by rows.  My values would
> > grow as new field names would be added across the columns...specifically,
> > Jan, Feb, March and then have April, May and June added to the plot area
> > automatically.
> >
> > C138:C147 would have the names of sales reps and D137:F137 would hold the
> > Month labels and then D138: F147 would list the values.  So the list of
> > sales
> > reps is static, but new data comes in for each month and needs to be added
> > the charts.  I have many of these charts on a dash board and do not want
> > update all of them every month.  Any suggestions would be appreciated
> > alathough I want to use VBA as a last resort.
> >
> > Thanks!

0
Kay (174)
2/7/2006 2:05:27 AM
Yes, you need to create a name for the months (the X values) and for each Y
series. These names are used in the series definition formula.

- Jon
-------

> [...]
>> >
>> > Now, I would like to come up with a way to plot by rows.  My values
>> > would
>> > grow as new field names would be added across the
>> > columns...specifically,
>> > Jan, Feb, March and then have April, May and June added to the plot
>> > area
>> > automatically.
>> >
>> > C138:C147 would have the names of sales reps and D137:F137 would hold
>> > the
>> > Month labels and then D138: F147 would list the values.  So the list of
>> > sales
>> > reps is static, but new data comes in for each month and needs to be
>> > added
>> > the charts.  I have many of these charts on a dash board and do not
>> > want
>> > update all of them every month.  Any suggestions would be appreciated
>> > alathough I want to use VBA as a last resort.

Thank you Jon.
"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> Yes, you need to create a name for the months (the X values) and for each Y
> series. These names are used in the series definition formula.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Peltier Technical Services
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com/
> _______
>

> "Kay" <Kay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Jon,
> >
> > I am sorry it has taken me so long to respond to your answer, but I have
> > been travelling on buisness.  I appreciate your responseD!!!
> >
> > I am not sure I understand your explanation of the MonthRanges.  Do I need
> > to create multiple range names for each column of data that hold the
> > values?
> >
> >                                    Jan              Feb          Mar
> > Salespeople's Names        4589          1234        4589
> > MORE                              2456          4879        12365
> > MORE                              48795         7845        45623
> >
> > Kay
> >

> > "Jon Peltier" wrote:
> >
> >> You use the same idea with the OFFSET formula. The syntax of OFFSET is:
> >>
> >> OFFSET(range, offset rows, offset columns, resize rows, resize columns)
> >>
> >> so your month label range would have a "refers to" definition like
> >>
> >> =OFFSET(Sheet1!$D$137,0,0,1,COUNTA(Sheet1!$137:$137))
> >>
> >> This assumes only the dates appear in row 137, and that a date header is
> >> not
> >> added until data for the date is added. The easiest way to define the
> >> value
> >> ranges with respect to the month range (MonthRange below) is:
> >>
> >> =OFFSET(MonthRange,1,0)
> >> =OFFSET(MonthRange,2,0)
> >> =OFFSET(MonthRange,3,0)
> >> etc.
> >>
> >> - Jon
> >> -------
> >> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> >> Peltier Technical Services
> >> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> >> http://PeltierTech.com/
> >> _______
> >>
> >> "Kay" <Kay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
Kay (174)

Update for MS Money 2005?

Problem with Script Updating

Publisher 2007 and Microsoft Updates

Slow Charts
I had some files created in Excel 2002 (Office XP) which I was using in Excel 2003 without any problems. These files consist of 1 worksheet and around 30 chart sheets. The data worksheet contains 7 columns of raw data, approximately 20 columns of data computed using formulae and approximately 4000 - 5000 rows. Some columns of the raw data and the computed data are plotted in various charts. I've recently upgraded from Excel 2003 to Excel 2007. In Excel 2003, I was not facing any problems in modifying the charts. However, in Excel 2007 it takes anywhere between 2 - 7 minut...

Update question

Excel cells changes number format automatically
I am using Excel 2007. Many of the cells I am working on are in general format where I store various numbers for analysis. These values change itself to date format occassionally creating whole lot of work for me to change them back to general format. How can I solve this issue? Also in my pivot table, my source data is in general format. Still when I click on sub total in any catagory in the table to find details about it, formats are changed date format in the new sheet it pops up. Can someone help resolve this issue. ...

How update entity in post update?

Pasting chart worksheet as link 2007
A chart created in 2007 and sitting in it's own sheet (not included on the data worksheet) will not display entirely if pasted as link (neither into Word nor PPT) Some of the chart seems to be "cut off" in the linked object. This seems to be connected to how much of the "canvas" is visible in Excel. Viewing the chart in Excel on a zoom so that it fills the whole screen seems to remedy this. Is there some setting in Excel that would allow us to set the worksheet chart to automatically size to window? Or else: does anyone know a way of pasting a worksheet chart as ...

latest update too MSCFV2

Anyone know how to Automatically transfer CSV data to Web page forms?
How can you populate a form fields on a html web page (client side) with data from an Excel file (CSV). The web page has several text fields for input that I manually populate. I would like to transfer the data into the web form automatically from the CSV file. How can this be done? TIA Jman -- --------------------------------- --- -- - Posted with NewsLeecher v3.7 Final Web @ http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet ------------------- ----- ---- -- - Jman, I had some success using the SendKeys method in VBA. It wasn't a web form -- it was a terminal emulator -- but I think I did...

Dynamic Menu update

full blood count chart
I am after a template where I can enter blood test results that show different readings daily and compare the day before level to day after. I also need to add medications and medication levels daily..........Please help Contact me privately and I will send a copy of a blood PRESSURE program I did that should get you started. I will NOT respond to a request mad on the newsgroup. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Ray" <Ray@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4F4495E1-1F21-4887-900D-B7360DAFFE5D@microsoft.com... > I am after a template where ...

online updates for money2003(not updating)

[ANN] Excel X security update

Column Data into a Pie Chart?
I've got an Excel sheet composed of column data. I want to put a pie chart on another sheet that represents the percentage of data, so that if the column is: Apples Apples Oranges Pears I'll get a pie chart that shows me 50% Apples, 25% Oranges, 25% Pears. How do I do this??? Thanks, Bill. Hi Bill. I've had to do something similar and have cludged a method together that works, but takes several steps. Hopefully, one of the guru's will have a better suggestion that I could learn from. Assuming your data is in column A, in A1 type a label such as Fruit and then sor...

Payroll Update

HOW ABOUT AN UPDATE?

Need to create a chart with 4 parameters
JAN FEB MAR Oranges Apples Oranges Apples Oranges Apples Adam 2 3 4 5 6 7 Bern 1 7 8 9 1 1 Collin 3 4 5 8 1 1 Dave 5 6 7 1 2 4 How do i draw a chart to show the number of apples & oranges for Adam , Bern , Collin and Dave in the months of Jan, Feb ... in one graph. Please help. -- will appreciate your help Pia, This is what I did. Started at A1 - Blank, B1 - Jan, D1 - Feb, F1 - Mar A2 - Blank, B2 - Oranges, C2 - Apples, D2 - Oranges, E2 - Apples, F2 - Oranges, G2 - Apples A3 - Adam, B3 - 2,C3 - 3, D3 - 4, E3 - 5 F3 - 6, G3 - 7 A4 - Bern, B4 - 1,C4 - 7, D4 - 8, E4 - 9, F4 - 1, G4...

FWD: Try on these correction update from the MS Corp.
--omvflfmgecbtuznop Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="pesxyyfvxtk"; type="multipart/alternative" --pesxyyfvxtk Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="locjfxspwlfruwcg" --locjfxspwlfruwcg Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Client this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express. Install now to continue keeping your computer secure from th...

Pie Chart
Hi Guys, I have a pie chart that I've changed the rotation to 250 degrees to better illustrate the what makes up the smaller slices. After I've saved the file and later reopened it defaults the pie chart back to the default rotation. This is in Excel 2003, I can't seem to lock in the new 250 deg rotation. Can someone help me here? Thanks in advance! ...