How do I stop trendline from touching the y-axis?

I have plotted a few points in a scatter graph and need to add a linear
trendline, however everytime I do, it extends the trendline to the Y-Axis,
which makes my plots unclear and very bunched up.
I want to be able to add a trendline without it touching the y-axis.
0
Couch (1)

Does the leftmost point have an X value of zero? Did you choose the option
to force the fit to pass through the origin?

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/
_______

"Marco Couch" <Marco Couch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have plotted a few points in a scatter graph and need to add a linear
> trendline, however everytime I do, it extends the trendline to the Y-Axis,
> which makes my plots unclear and very bunched up.
> I want to be able to add a trendline without it touching the y-axis.

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
2/15/2009 6:19:29 PM
Generally, trendlines extend from first to last data point
They can be made to go further using the 'forecast' feature of the trendline
What is your situation?
How about changing the x-axis scale so trendlines stops before y-axis?
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Marco Couch" <Marco Couch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have plotted a few points in a scatter graph and need to add a linear
> trendline, however everytime I do, it extends the trendline to the Y-Axis,
> which makes my plots unclear and very bunched up.
> I want to be able to add a trendline without it touching the y-axis.

0
bliengme5824 (3040)
2/15/2009 6:24:32 PM
<Marco:

Take a look at my Interactive Regression post at this link.

http://processtrends.com/toc_trend_analysis_with_Excel.htm#Interactive_Regression

D Kelly O'Day
http://processtrends.com

"Marco Couch" <Marco Couch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have plotted a few points in a scatter graph and need to add a linear
> trendline, however everytime I do, it extends the trendline to the Y-Axis,
> which makes my plots unclear and very bunched up.
> I want to be able to add a trendline without it touching the y-axis.

0
dkod (205)
2/15/2009 7:08:36 PM
No I didn't choose for it to pass through the origin, and the leftmost point
is (-6.91, -3.46) the rightmost point is (-4.61, -1.16) all points in between
are in a perfectly straight line.

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> Does the leftmost point have an X value of zero? Did you choose the option
> to force the fit to pass through the origin?
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
> http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/
> _______
>

> "Marco Couch" <Marco Couch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have plotted a few points in a scatter graph and need to add a linear
> > trendline, however everytime I do, it extends the trendline to the Y-Axis,
> > which makes my plots unclear and very bunched up.
> > I want to be able to add a trendline without it touching the y-axis.

Oh. Excel 2007? ISTR an issue like this when calculating a trendline using
all negative values.

- Jon
-------

> No I didn't choose for it to pass through the origin, and the leftmost
> point
> is (-6.91, -3.46) the rightmost point is (-4.61, -1.16) all points in
> between
> are in a perfectly straight line.
>
> "Jon Peltier" wrote:
>
>> Does the leftmost point have an X value of zero? Did you choose the
>> option
>> to force the fit to pass through the origin?
>>
>> - Jon
>> -------
>> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>> Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
>> http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/
>> _______
>>

>> "Marco Couch" <Marco Couch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have plotted a few points in a scatter graph and need to add a linear
>> > trendline, however everytime I do, it extends the trendline to the
>> > Y-Axis,
>> > which makes my plots unclear and very bunched up.
>> > I want to be able to add a trendline without it touching the y-axis.

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
2/16/2009 12:35:52 AM
I don't understand... yes it's Excel 2007 but what's ISTR?

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> Oh. Excel 2007? ISTR an issue like this when calculating a trendline using
> all negative values.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
> http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/
> _______
>

> "Marco Couch" <MarcoCouch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > No I didn't choose for it to pass through the origin, and the leftmost
> > point
> > is (-6.91, -3.46) the rightmost point is (-4.61, -1.16) all points in
> > between
> > are in a perfectly straight line.

ISTR means, I Seem to Remember.

Cheers
Andy
--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
>I don't understand... yes it's Excel 2007 but what's ISTR?
>
> "Jon Peltier" wrote:
>
>> Oh. Excel 2007? ISTR an issue like this when calculating a trendline
>> using
>> all negative values.
>>
>> - Jon
>> -------
>> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>> Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
>> http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/
>> _______
>>

>> "Marco Couch" <MarcoCouch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > No I didn't choose for it to pass through the origin, and the leftmost
>> > point
>> > is (-6.91, -3.46) the rightmost point is (-4.61, -1.16) all points in
>> > between
>> > are in a perfectly straight line.

0
andy9699 (3616)

stops responding

blue stop screen 0x0000007E

recipient policy stopped working

Should allow: "Value (X) axis crosses at *-MINIMUM-* value
I think that almost always I want the X axis values and label at the BOTTOM of the plot. There is an option for them to be at the top. Why not the bottom?? MS could put in a button for max or min value. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.mi...

Stopping the scroll bar
Hi all, this is my first time. I don't know if this is the right place for this problem but here I go. I have created a template of an invoice the size of an A4 and would like to stop the scroll bar moving both horizantally and vertically in normal view just as if it was in print view. Is that possible through VBA and if yes what is the code that I would need to achieve such task. Thanks in advance --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Not too sure what you are after but you can remove the scrollbars with <Tools - Options> and then in the View tab, at the bottom,...

Different Secondary X Axis but same Y Axis
I am plotting 2 data sets with different X axes. I would like them to use the same Y axis, but the only way I can figure it out is if I use a primary and secondary Y axis of the same values. This causes me to make a few extra steps is the scaling of the 2 Y axes change...I have to manually go in and change it. My primary data series looks like this: A 10% B 35% C 16% D 44% My secondary data series looks like this 0 75% 1 75% I would like for the secondary data series to use the same Y axis % min/max and the primary. Any thoughts? -- Mutiny_92 You already ...

Stop all macros
I have a button on a form, which should do different things depending on 1. The data contained within the current record; 2. Whether the current record is a 'new record'; 3. Whether the current record is the first record in the form. On click, an embedded macro is initiated. Each step in the embedded macro has a condition and a corresponding 'RunMacro' action. All the conditions are mutually exclusive, and each sub-macro has a final step of 'StopAllMacros'. So the embedded macro should trigger one, and only one sub-macro. However, it appears that what is act...

Indica si al responder al correo electr�nico los nombres y las direcciones de correo electr�nico de los destinatarios deben agregarse a la Libreta de direcciones.
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_005D_01C73259.E2EDC560 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit _____ Indica si al responder al correo electr�nico los nombres y las direcciones de correo electr�nico de los destinatarios deben agregarse a la Libreta de direcciones. ------=_NextPart_000_005D_01C73259.E2EDC560 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEA...

Stopping a Campaign Temporarily
Hi, My client has executed the campaign in Jan 1st 2006 and the end date is Dec 31st 2006. But he wants to stop the campaign temporarily from 15th July 2006 and again start it from 1st Aug 2006. So what is that I need to do for this thing, i have never come across this kind of situation before. Thanks in advance. Regards, Shabbir. ...

Can a value axis autoscale to something other than 0 for the min?
I know how to manually change the scale on a value axis, but is there a way to have the autoscale function automatically maximize the data in the chart? This is for a dynamic chart that can change when certain selection items are chosen from drop-down menus. For example, one set of data ranges from 6 to 9, so I would want the scale to be 5 to 10. Then, the selections change, and the data displayed in the chart now ranges from 31 to 39. I want the scale to be 30 to 40, not 0 to 40. Can this be done? Unfortunately, Excel's axis autoscale algorithms do not suit your (or my) prefer...

Would you stop for a moment?!
Excuse me!! Would you stop for a moment?! O...man...Haven't you thought-one day- about yourself ? Who has made it? Have you seen a design which hasn't a designer ?! Have you seen a wonderful,delicate work without a worker ?! It's you and the whole universe!.. Who has made them all ?!! You know who ?.. It's "ALLAH",prise be to him. Just think for a moment. How are you going to be after death ?! Can you believe that this exact system of the universe and all of these great creation will end in in nothing...just after death! Have you thought, for a second, How to save you...

Stop
I have two items in my register, one a transfer to my bank and another a deposited item. I made one bank deposit for the combined amount. When it cleared, I matched it against the two items and all seemed fine. Problem is that every day Money shows the item again as an unmatched item and I have to delete it constantly. I realise this system isn't to well written, but is there any way to have this not show up. After all it was matched and accepted once. In microsoft.public.money, John Barnes wrote: >I have two items in my register, one a transfer to my bank and another a &g...

ALIGNING THE X AXIS DIAGONLLY
I am trying to align the x axis on a chart diagonally. When I go into the format axis dialogue box and click on alignment the custom degree box is greyed out and I cant change the alignment. Using xp and 60 day trial version of 2007. Thank you Assuming you are speaking of the axis labels: I had no trouble doing this with a column, a bar and a line chart. Why not start a new worksheet, type the names of 4 countries/states in A1:A4 and some numbers in B1:B4. Now make a chart and experiment with alignment. Tell us how this pans out and then we can address the real problem best wishes -- ...

how do you stop spam?
I'm taking care of a Windows NT Server (4) with Exchange 5.5 SP2 installed. We have around 40 employees in the company and they have been complaining about spam. Desktops are running Outlook 2000. Is there a way to stop spam without installing a third party software? Any help is appreciated. Thanks. there is an open source one available. i think it is on sourceforge.net. search for smtp. mike "Peter McCaul" <compcoff@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:ujtLb2riEHA.1140@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > I'm taking care of a Windows NT Server (4) with Exchange 5.5 SP2...

Sending and Receiving Email stops after installing Exchange 2003 SP1
I've installed Exchange 2003 SP1 and sending and receiving email has stopped. All services are running. Messages seem to be in the local delivery queue. Any suggestions? Thanks. I've been fighting the same thing. Users get -- 800ccc0f or 8004210 Machine is DC, running ADC --- HELP ! ! ! Hi Dan Had same problem, try to stop all Exchange and web (IIS especialy) manualy. ' Then reinstalle PS1, it solved my problem. Carsten "Dan" <dslaby.no2spam@evergreeninfo.biz> wrote in message news:<Ov0nh5DREHA.3732@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>... > I've install...

Trendline Function Extraction
Yet another forecasting question..... If given dates and amount of items received you can easily plot the data and have Excel produce a fitting formula that's linear, polynomial, logorithmic, etc. I am working with different types of data, some linear (which is easy) some cyclical. For the cyclical data I would like to use either a 3rd or 4th degree polynomial to approximate the upcoming volume. Again, Excel will plot the points and give you a formula, but you can't use it to forecast anything. I thought of using a linear algebra approach and using this formula: a1=INDEX(LIN...

How can I stop all numeric entries from being devided by 100?
In a new and existing sheets, all numeric entries are being devided by 100. Tools-Options-Edit-Enable automatic percent entry is turned off. go to tools-options-edit and uncheck "fixed decimal places" Greetings from New Zealand Bill K "Bob" <Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5E7AFFC7-F58F-4691-8F98-30CF105D5C28@microsoft.com... > In a new and existing sheets, all numeric entries are being devided by > 100. > Tools-Options-Edit-Enable automatic percent entry is turned off. Tools>Options>Edit, uncheck the Fixed decimal box -...

excel2007 pivot table chart x-axis
I make pivot table charts with multiple items on the x-axis. excel2007 seems to randomly blank out some of the x-axis numbers. excel2003 did not do this. In addition, I can open up an excel2003 file with a "normal" looking pivot table chart, but if I create a new chart in excel2007 from the same data, the problem occurs. I am also having this problem, any solutions? This problem makes pivot charting almost useless... "curve_ball" wrote: > I make pivot table charts with multiple items on the x-axis. excel2007 seems > to randomly blank out some of the x-a...

Hotmail accts stopped working?
My Hotmail accts stopped working in Outlook Express 6 and regular Outlook (XP first, then I upgraded to 2003 beta 2) about a month ago. OE says "Authorization Required" but the password is definitely correct since I access the accts daily via the web on the same machine. Maybe something screwed up in the registry or possibly an encryption DLL... anyone have any ideas? thanks! -- ---------------------------------- To follow the path: look to the master, follow the master, walk with the master, see through the master, become the master. - Ancient Zen poem that is th...

Cannot access my Publisher documents-"embedded or unavailable" Y
Cannot access now my Publisher documents. A blue bar appears across the monitor. The dialogue says "embedded or unavailable." What do I do? Is that all it says? Any chance you could email the file to me? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Peter" <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:67CA6537-6159-420F-A405-D49C7544BC9B@microsoft.com... > Cannot access now my Publisher documents. A blue bar appears across the > monitor. The dialogue says "embedded or unavailable." What do I do? Are the files on your hard drive? Are...

Touch Screen #3
We would like to build a touch screen only sells selected items then checks the customer out. We have a small concession stand and would like to be able to use custom POS buttons to add items and check customers out. I know how to build the Custom buttons to add items and checkout but I would like to be able to display the custom POS buttons in multiple columns. If anyone knows how to do this your help would be greatly appreciated. WPMI_Kevin ...

Auto-stop feature?
I would like to be able to play a DVD while I'm faling asleep and have Windows Media Player automatically stop at the end of the DVD (so the DVD drive doesn't run all night). I have the feature on my TV's DVD player, so I assume it is something that can also be done on my computer. I just can't figure out how. On Mon, 10 May 2010 19:00:01 -0700, hlagas <hlagas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > >I would like to be able to play a DVD while I'm faling asleep and have >Windows Media Player automatically stop at the end of the DVD (so the DVD ...