How do I set up formulas to update graphs dynamically

Hello,

I have the following information I need to graph

date	Feb-08	Mar-08	Apr-08	May-08	Jun-08	Jul-08
burn	116	23	254
inventory	3035	3011	2757

The "date" is the x-axis label and the "burn" and "inventory" are the
values on the y-axis.  If the values for burn and inventory are blank
for a particular date, I don't want the information plotted.  As I add
values for each date, I would like the graph to be updated
automatically.  I understand I need to define a named range and use it
in the graph, however, I have not been successful in doing this.
Also, even though the data is blank, there is still a formula there
and I want to make sure that does not cause any problems.

thanks in advance for your help, OS
0
osfard (6)

Hi osfar

See if the article at
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Dynamics.html#DynColCht
does what you want.

Regards,
Pedro J.

> Hello,
>
> I have the following information I need to graph
>

> date	Feb-08	Mar-08	Apr-08	May-08	Jun-08	Jul-08
> burn	116	23	254
> inventory	3035	3011	2757
>
> The "date" is the x-axis label and the "burn" and "inventory" are the
> values on the y-axis.  If the values for burn and inventory are blank
> for a particular date, I don't want the information plotted.  As I add
> values for each date, I would like the graph to be updated
> automatically.  I understand I need to define a named range and use it
> in the graph, however, I have not been successful in doing this.
> Also, even though the data is blank, there is still a formula there
> and I want to make sure that does not cause any problems.
>
> thanks in advance for your help, OS
For several examples see
Dynamic Charts
http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/newsgroups/dynamic_charts/index.html

On Mon, 4 Aug 2008 16:43:56 -0700 (PDT), osfard@gmail.com wrote:

Hello,

I have the following information I need to graph

date	Feb-08	Mar-08	Apr-08	May-08	Jun-08	Jul-08
burn	116	23	254
inventory	3035	3011	2757

The "date" is the x-axis label and the "burn" and "inventory" are the
values on the y-axis.  If the values for burn and inventory are blank
for a particular date, I don't want the information plotted.  As I add
values for each date, I would like the graph to be updated
automatically.  I understand I need to define a named range and use it
in the graph, however, I have not been successful in doing this.
Also, even though the data is blank, there is still a formula there
and I want to make sure that does not cause any problems.

thanks in advance for your help, OS

Regards,

Tushar Mehta
Microsoft MVP Excel 2000-2008
www.tushar-mehta.com
Tutorials and add-ins for Excel, PowerPoint, and other products
0
Tushar
8/5/2008 12:59:23 AM
If the cells are not blank, they will not plot in a line or XY chart. If
they contain a formula that returns "", the cells are not blank, but instead
contain a formula that returns text, which Excel treats as zero. To change
this, use NA() instead of "". This produces the #N/A error in the cell, but
a line or XY chart will not plot a point. If you don't mind keeping all the
dates along the axis, this is all you need to do. If you only want to show
the dates where you have data, you need to use names.

This blog entry has some examples, including data in rows instead of
columns, which may confuse people.
http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/2008/05/14/dynamic-charts/

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

<osfard@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have the following information I need to graph
>

> date Feb-08 Mar-08 Apr-08 May-08 Jun-08 Jul-08
> burn 116 23 254
> inventory 3035 3011 2757
>
> The "date" is the x-axis label and the "burn" and "inventory" are the
> values on the y-axis.  If the values for burn and inventory are blank
> for a particular date, I don't want the information plotted.  As I add
> values for each date, I would like the graph to be updated
> automatically.  I understand I need to define a named range and use it
> in the graph, however, I have not been successful in doing this.
> Also, even though the data is blank, there is still a formula there
> and I want to make sure that does not cause any problems.
>
> thanks in advance for your help, OS

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
8/5/2008 12:52:23 PM
On Aug 5, 5:52=A0am, "Jon Peltier" <jonxlmv...@SPAMpeltiertech.com>
wrote:
> If the cells are not blank, they will not plot in a line or XY chart. If
> they contain a formula that returns "", the cells are not blank, but inst=
ead
> contain a formula that returns text, which Excel treats as zero. To chang=
> this, use NA() instead of "". This produces the #N/A error in the cell, b=
ut
> a line or XY chart will not plot a point. If you don't mind keeping all t=
he
> dates along the axis, this is all you need to do. If you only want to sho=
> the dates where you have data, you need to use names.
>
> This blog entry has some examples, including data in rows instead of
> columns, which may confuse people.http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/2008/0=
5/14/dynamic-charts/

> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> Peltier Technical Services, Inc. -http://PeltierTech.com
> _______
>
> <osf...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Hello,
>
> > I have the following information I need to graph
>
> > date Feb-08 Mar-08 Apr-08 May-08 Jun-08 Jul-08
> > burn 116 23 254
> > inventory 3035 3011 2757
>
> > The "date" is the x-axis label and the "burn" and "inventory" are the
> > values on the y-axis. =A0If the values for burn and inventory are blank
> > for a particular date, I don't want the information plotted. =A0As I ad=
> > values for each date, I would like the graph to be updated
> > automatically. =A0I understand I need to define a named range and use i=
> > in the graph, however, I have not been successful in doing this.
> > Also, even though the data is blank, there is still a formula there
> > and I want to make sure that does not cause any problems.
>
> > thanks in advance for your help, OS- Hide quoted text -

Thank you for your help.  I couldn't get it to work, though.  I tried
reproducing the exact formula you had in the example in the link and
it doesn't work.  There is a problem when entering the series formula
(and I did catch that it was on the wrong sheet).

thanks, OS
0
osfard (6)
8/5/2008 5:48:18 PM
wrote:
> If the cells are not blank, they will not plot in a line or XY chart. If
> they contain a formula that returns "", the cells are not blank, but inst=
ead
> contain a formula that returns text, which Excel treats as zero. To chang=
> this, use NA() instead of "". This produces the #N/A error in the cell, b=
ut
> a line or XY chart will not plot a point. If you don't mind keeping all t=
he
> dates along the axis, this is all you need to do. If you only want to sho=
> the dates where you have data, you need to use names.
>
> This blog entry has some examples, including data in rows instead of
> columns, which may confuse people.http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/2008/0=
5/14/dynamic-charts/

> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> Peltier Technical Services, Inc. -http://PeltierTech.com
> _______
>
> <osf...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Hello,
>
> > I have the following information I need to graph
>
> > date Feb-08 Mar-08 Apr-08 May-08 Jun-08 Jul-08
> > burn 116 23 254
> > inventory 3035 3011 2757
>
> > The "date" is the x-axis label and the "burn" and "inventory" are the
> > values on the y-axis. =A0If the values for burn and inventory are blank
> > for a particular date, I don't want the information plotted. =A0As I ad=
> > values for each date, I would like the graph to be updated
> > automatically. =A0I understand I need to define a named range and use i=
> > in the graph, however, I have not been successful in doing this.
> > Also, even though the data is blank, there is still a formula there
> > and I want to make sure that does not cause any problems.
>
> > thanks in advance for your help, OS- Hide quoted text -

I do want to only show the dates where I have data.  I couldn't get
the defined names and the series formula to work but what I did was
take this into account in the excel formula.  If there was no data
associated with the date, then I made the date also be #NA (my data
comes from a different sheet and I just referenced it on the sheet
where I am graphing so this was pretty easy to take into account).  So
in essence, I have a static graph and not a dynamic one but it still
acts as a dynamic graph as data is entered.

thanks again for your help.  I am still curious as to how it would
work the real, more sophisticated way.

take care
0
osfard (6)

setting up new outlook mail account

Room Occupied Checker Formula Help
I have a worksheet with Headers: A:Name, B:StartDate, C:Room#, and D:EndDate. I'm looking for a formula that will check the availability of a room based on EndDate. For example if I entered Mr. Smith on one row and gave him room 100 and he hasn't checked out yet (no EndDate) then when I go to the next line and enter Mr. Black and try to put him into that same room, I'd like to get an error or warning message saying, "Someone's already in that room!" but if Mr. Smith had an EndDate, then it wouldn't give me that message. I hope that makes sens...

convert to dynamic disc
Can I convert my basic disc to dynamic if my priv.edb resides on that disc? On Mon, 6 Mar 2006 11:51:57 -0800, "ChrisH" <you@me.com> wrote: >Can I convert my basic disc to dynamic if my priv.edb resides on that disc? > You should be able to, but why? The original install wasn't planned the best. I am running out of space, and the only quick way to fix it is to stretch the drive to an unpartitioned drive. "Andy David - MVP" <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote in message news:nr5p029fl01as250tmrqqind9bltd0vlkc@4ax.com... > On Mon...

OWA Set Rule problem

One More Formula Question
I need to get a specific total from the following criteria. I have data in 2 columns and need to get a total based upon specific entries in the cells in thoses columns. For example: Column A has 4 choices from a picklist. (N,P,C,R) Column B has a different set of choices. (ENG,OP,T&E,RS) What I need to do is be able to get an answer for how many N's are also ENG's Thanks -- doc ------------------------------------------------------------------------ doc's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1434 View this thread: http://www.excelforu...

calculating a special formula
(D2) holds the customer's target price, (F2) holds the price at which the company will sell to the customer, the formula in (F2) is based on the lowest price from 5 different vendors: (I2, K2, M2, O2, Q2), after this calculation, if (D2) is higher than (F2) then I want (F2) to match (D2). How would I do this? Thank you so much. The minimum price from the 5 cells is obtained with MIN(I2,K2,M2,O2,Q2) If you want the larger of this and D2 then: =MAX(MIN(I2,K2,M2,O2,Q2),D2) Have I read your question correctly? best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme...

copying formulas #9
I am trying to copy formulas in a spreadsheet that pulls the data from every 4th column in another spreadsheet in a consistent pattern (eg. b6, f6, j6, n6). When I try to copy the pattern to the next 4 cells in the row, anticipating r6, v6, etc. instead it repeats as f6, j6, n6, r6. How do I correct this? One way =OFFSET(Sheet2!$B$6,,COLUMN(A:A)*4-4) copy across Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Tracey" wrote: > I am trying to copy formulas in a spreadsheet that pulls the data from every > 4th column in another spreadsheet in a consistent pattern (eg. b6, f6, j6, > n6). Wh...

formula in a worksheet
I am trying to count the no of rows that satisfy multiple conditions. I tried using COUNIF and SUMIF with no luck. If anyone could help, that would be appreciated. Here is an example of what I did: A B C D ------------------------------------------------ 1| StudentID Sex Age CollectionAmount 2| A Male 11 21 3| B Male 11 22 4| C Female 8 23 5| D Female 12 24 6| E Female 9 25 Formula to find the sum of "CollectionAmount" for Male Students of Age > 10 Provided cells used are A1:D6, the formul...

How to keep a cell empty at the same time formula embedded?
Can we have an empty cell but formula embedded in that cell. A cell cannot be both "empty" and contain something...........you can however, put a formula there that will display a blank cell according to the conditions of it's calculations........... =(IF(A1>5,A1,"")......will display a blank cell if A1 is 5 or less Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "vic_dic" <vic_dic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A590D8A6-7E86-49B7-AA9A-12DE213E670C@microsoft.com... > Can we have an empty cell but formula embedded in that cell. What are you...

How to set backcolour

Stacked Bar and Line on Same Graph
Hi Is it possible to produce, on a single graph, a stacked bar chart and a line chart with left vertcal axis showing bar scale and right vertical axis showing line scale. .... heres hoping ... John Hi, Assuming you mean column (vertical) rather than bar (horizontal). Create the stacked column chart based on all the series. Select series you want as line and via the right-click context menu change the chart type to line. Then format the line to use the second axis via the format dialog - scale tab. If you really did mean bars then the line chart needs to be a xy-scatter. Cheers Andy ...

Replicating database query with formulas
Well, that's the best way I can describe it. I have worksheet A of data in Excel, c. 1000 rows. Col A has unique identifier for each row. Col B has categories ( 5 different ones). What I want to do in another sheet (B) is essentially replicate what I would do with the Auto filter function, i.e. show just those rows that have 'Sovereigns' in Col B (refering to sovereing bonds), but not use autofilter and also show data in one continuous block. I think I am half way there in terms of thinking it out. In the other worksheet B, you can use COUNTIF to determine the number of occu...

Warning: Windows update may make your computer run worse!
The quality assurance section at Redmond must be out to lunch permanently. IE 8 update makes IE show your IE explorer history and .wmv videos no longer automatically runs in media player. These are just a few quirks. Vista is the worst operating system since Windows ME. I use Vista Ultimate in one machine and it locks me out of many directories when using explorer. long time windows user;1220997 Wrote: > The quality assurance section at Redmond must be out to lunch > permanently. IE 8 update makes IE show your IE explorer history > and .wmv videos no longer automatica...

Copy formula for ranges from diff sheets #2
Unfortunatley then i have to go to every sheet, copy and paste special (transpose) What I need is some sort of formula that will copy the same range fro _all_sheets_ and then paste special (transpose) on to the referenc sheet. ? -- Berni ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Bernie's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1457 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26197 Hi not possible with a formula. This would require VBA >-----Original Message----- > >Unfortunatley then i h...

Set Regional Settings but not Language

what's wrong with before update event procedure
Hi, here is my code event procedure for a check box. I want to allow some users to change its state and to prevent otheres from change it. Is there any way I can ban that SendKeys "{ESC}" line? That line is the only way it works not ending in the loop (you press anything on the form, msgbox pops up again), but I don't see why?? Private Sub MyCheckBox_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer) If currentuser <> "RightUser" Then MsgBox ("You are not right user. You don't touch this check box.") Cancel = True SendKey...

Reading Pane Settings

interactive buttons, multiple sets

How do I set OOR

Set Focus