How do I plot chart with negative value using Logarithmic Scale ?

0
FTian (1)

On Sun, 14 May 2006, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
FTian <FTian@discussions.microsoft.com> said:

[no content, but Subject line reads: "How do I plot chart with negative
value using Logarithmic Scale ?"]

It's not Excel's fault you can't do that, it's a mathematical
impossibility. Zero is an infinite distance way down past the bottom of
the chart, and negative numbers are "beyond infinity".

If you still want to try it, then you need to use a linear scale, but
create a column with a formula that looks like:

=IF(x<0,-LN(-x),LN(x))

and plot that instead. Then go to Jon Peltier's site and learn about
using "dummy axes", ranges of labelled data that are created to mimic
the appearance of an axis in Excel, to do what Excel's axes can't do.

Then you should put a text box in the chart to explain to the readers
that what they're seeing is not a proper log scale, but two log scales
back-to-back, one for positive, and one for reversed negative.

--
Del Cotter
del1907 (586)

Lookup value off by one row
Hi, Any help you can provide on this would be appreciated. I have a worksheet that identifies how far a number is from target. I created the lookup below to coorespond to the productivity increase for next year. =LOOKUP(C4,LookUpValues!$A$1:$A$402,LookUpValues!$B$1:$B$402) C4 is -10.9, in the lookupValues tab -10.9 is in row 93 column A as is the desired result return of 5.6 in column b, however the lookup function is returning 5.7. The issue may be that the data and the lookupValues tab numbers are not exactly the same. -10.90001 and -10.9004 may display the same, but w...

How to Use Pivot Tables in Excel
Although many people know how to use excel, not many people know how to use pivot tables. Pivot table is one of the most powerful tools when doing an analysis in Excel. Pivot Tables allow you to manipulate the data the way you want to see the results. WHAT IS A PIVOT TABLE? Pivot Tables allow users summarize large data, sort, count, filter items, switch rows and columns, drag and drop fields of the data which is stored in another source � another one table or spreadsheet anything you want. You can arrange the results based on the way you want to display. When you analyze large amounts of da...

Plots
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0015_01C50860.E8475A00 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="koi8-r" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Are there in Visual C++ plots drawing library like BCB TeeChart? Thanks in advance. ------=_NextPart_000_0015_01C50860.E8475A00 Content-Type: text/html; charset="koi8-r" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dkoi8-r&q...

How to use the countif() function to count items in a table
I have a table contains multple columns of info as shown in the below AcctID ProjectName PMName Phase Status EIG Project 1 Wellie Initiation New MLI Project 2 John Develop Active EIG Project 11 Wellie Qualify Active EIG Project UUU John Design InActive MLI Project XX Carol Deployment Completed MLI Project YYY Carol Design Active I'd like to use the countif() function to complete the following metric such that I know how many projects for each status for each AcctID. EIG ...

CHART #5
How come...when you change the source data...in other words...expand the data series to incorporate new data within a chart.. save changes then, exit the chart,..... the cursor moves to the top of the spreadsheet?? Why is this so? Why can't my mouse (cursor) stay in and around the chart??? Larry ...

Macro to change position of chart labels on line chart
Hello all, I have quite a trickly problem to solve and I would appreciate any suggestions. I have a dashboard page in a worksheet which shows financial KPIs (i.e. sales) as forecast this year versus last year. There are a number of line charts on the dashboard showing the differing forecasts; the user of the dashboard can choose a business unit to view. What I would like to be able to do is to have the chart labels for these charts automatically change their aligmnent so that they display properly. I have set the chart labels to display "Above" for the new forecast and "Bel...

plotting long plots
I have a HP designjet 110 nr plotter. I've created a plot that we nee to show drilling activity. My first plot was 24"x36". Plot works grea and to scale. My next plot was to be 24"x72". Now the charts will no even display in Print Preview. I can scale back the plot where it i about 48" and it will preview and plot, but I need it to go out eve futher than 72 inches. I may go out as far as 30 feet. I have images on the plot area and it will print it just fine at th farther distances -- TexasDa -----------------------------------------------------------------------...

Query SQL server db with cell value parameter
I want to supply criteria value using a cell on the spreadsheet to contain a date. Can't seem to figure out how to do this. On the Connections - Properties - Definition dialog, "Parameters" is grayed out. ...

how to use SEARCH?
Could someone please tell me how to use the function SEARCH in XL? I tried the exampel in help, but it doesn�t work =(((((((( -- hendersson ------------------------------------------------------------------------ hendersson's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=18427 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=477465 Place formulae in cell A1 : =SEARCH("a",C1,1) Cell C1 contains Dave Cell A1 returns 2 as the 2nd letter of c2 is "a". Search finds first match and returns position of match starting at posit...

SUM for logical values
Using Excel 2002 SP3... If I type logical values into the formula, like this: =SUM(TRUE, TRUE, TRUE), my formula returns the value 3. If I reference cells containing logical values, like this =SUM(A1:A3), my formula returns 0. Does anybody know why there is a difference? -- tj Try: =A1+A2+A3 -- Regards, RD --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit ! --------------------------------------------------------------------------- "tjtjjtjt" <tjtjjtjt@discussions.microsoft.c...

Dynamic Charts #2
I know how to make Dynamic charts but how do you adjust the data serie automatically when new series data is added. For Example. Old Data chris 2 chris 5 sue 4 sue 3 New Data chris 2 chris 5 chris 6 sue 4 sue 3 When new data is added to the bottom the chart adjusts but how do yo get the series to adjust to the "chris" series which is in the middle? ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com Using the technique based on the OFFSET function...

Lookup value that falls between two values in a range and then som
I have an array with 4 columns: A B C D 1 435 578 ID1 2 12 113 ID2 3 1478 1879 ID3 etc etc etc etc The value I want to lookup has two components that correspond to column A and a number that falls between columns B and C (or not): E F 1 78 2 86 2 1500 3 1600 etc etc So I'd like to ask is the value in column E = to the value in column A AND does the value in column F fall between the values in columns B and C? If yes, return column D. In this examp...

Corrupt TCP segments using CSocket
I am developing a simple streaming video application. I am using TCP with the CSocket MFC class and I have a thread the writes the data for each frame in a separate Write(). The app works fine for about 2 minutes of "playing" the video, but after some time (2-15) minutes I am getting segments with invalid TCP checksum (observing the traffic in etherreal). If I retry the connection from the client it doesn't recover. It recovers when I restart the server. Any ideas? Ask your question additionally at microsoft.public.win32.programmer.networks NG. -- Vladimir <vladimir.rale...

How to Use Retail Sales Statistics Table?
E:\My Documents\*.htm when I copy the table to Excel 2003, it works, Year 2003 Retail Sales Statistics 2003 2002 Company Name Industry Sales Amount Retail Number: Number: Thousand Dollars LastYeaarSamePeriodRate±% Thousand Dollars LastYeaarSamePeriodRate±% 1 1 HundredUnite Department Store/SuperMarket/Convenient Store 67627140 22.46 67627140 22.46 2 3 National Beauty HomeApplianceSpecialShop 23878860 34.25 23878860 34.25 3 2 DL D Commerce Department Store/SuperMarket/Convenient Store 23084920 26.96 15035460 12.46 How can I use this table? ...

Getting charts to automatically pick data from a series
Can I get a chart to always use say the last 9 values of a series? Does excel also do interactive charts? Salmonh: Yes you can have Excel chart the last 9, 30 or whatever number of values that you would like. You'll need to use dynamic range names to do this. Here are several links that will get you started. http://www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/ExcelTips/Dynamic.htm http://processtrends.com/pg_chart_tips.htm#Dynamic_Chart_Range_Names http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Dynamics.html The idea is to create dynamic ranges that will update as you add data and ...

Plotting Data
Hi, how can I plot the analysis data in the document class, in its related view class. Is it possible to make plots like in MATLAB (surface plots,mesh plots of a matrix)??? ...

Charting the relationship between two cells
Can you / How do you chart a the relationship between two cells (preferably without making two tables). It feels like this should be a simple function of excel. I want to see how a cell is effected when I put numbers 1-1,000,000 in it. For example, I have a worksheet that asks how many units I am managing. I put in that number in a single cell and my worksheet comes alive telling me how many people I need to have, how much space I need, etc, etc. But most importantly it shows me the bottom line profit. I want to chart the relationship between those two cells (number of units and pr...

Chart #6
I have some data, as dates and numbers. The dates I'm using as the X axis and the numbers as the Y. When I graph the data from their original cells, excel changes the dates to numbers between 0 and 12 and graphs the scatter plot with the lines. When I use another set of cells to see if there is a number in the original cells and to chart the data, the chart that is plotted graphs the correct coordinates, but the lines connecting the coordinates are no longer visible. How do I remedy this? ...

Sum the value of A4+B4 in A4
Hello, Please, I need help to calculate the total for example, I have 100 in A4 and 4 in B4 I want to show the result in A4 as 104. The values in A4 is entered manually from another workbook and the result in A4 should change automatically taking values from B4 Can this be achieved? Many Thanks in advance -- harishnehru ------------------------------------------------------------------------ harishnehru's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=32262 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=520146 Enter: =A4+B4 HTH --...

Dynamic cell ranges in charts
Hi, I have set up a number of named cell ranges which plot ok in the chart, but now I want make global changes in the cell ranges without having to modify them in the "Refers To" box. I am using Excel 2007. Can I use Named cells within the Refers To box, ie. calling the new max and min cells and establishing the range that way? Of course. For example, take Shane's suggestion from your last post, and replace various parameters with cell addresses or names: =OFFSET(Sheet1!$A$1,0,0,COUNTA(Sheet1!$A$1:$A$100),1) becomes for example =OFFSET(Sheet1!$A$1,Sheet1!$C$1,Sheet1!$D$...

where do i get info on how to use excel?
i don't have a manual or anything. can i buy one? is there a college course or something? hi, all of the above. most good book stores with have an excel for dummys book. microsoft site has books for all version. college course tend to be generic and way too short. books are better. and cheaper. the net is a good source too. try these sites http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm#tutorials http://www.j-walk.com/ss/books/xlbook25.htm http://www.cpearson.com/excel/KeyboardShortcuts.htm http://www.contextures.com/ http://www.mrexcel.com http://www.rondebruin.nl/ and you can hang ar...

plot
Dear member, I have a question . The question is how to make a graph=85.I do know your name or kind For example I have range the value of mean and variance. I need to plot the two in same graph how is attachad . mean var tn 287.787 120.619 t12 2.147.523 13.843.230 t18 2.698.113 22.254.429 t24 3.288.497 17.780.971 td 1.841.121 7.918.387 Anyone have one idea.. how to make it? Thanks&Regards Jen Hi, Highlight all the data, with titles and click the Chart Wizard button and choose a line chart type, follow the wizard. However, your first two data points are very large relative to al...

TTF Number already in use error
Working on a CBM Batch, I'm choosing a specific TTF document number for a telegraphic transfer payment. Receive an error - number alreay in use. The number has never been used and does not reflect in any enquiry or report on TTF document numbers. Dear, First checklinks on (CM Transactions) then check table CB100000, make sure that the number does not exist there, if it exist then it have been used before and deleted. Regards, -- Mohammad R. Daoud MCP, MCBMSP, MCTS, MCBMSS Software Development Manager +962 - 79 - 999 65 85 Great Package For Business Solutions daoudm@greatpbs.co...

Problem using Microsoft Web Browser control
I am trying to access the Custom properties of a Web Browser ActiveX control on a form and I keep getting a message telling me that "The Operation on the Microsoft Web Browser object failed. The OLE server may not be registered. To register the OLE server, reinstall it." I searched TechNet and MSDN and could not resolve this. I reinstalled Access 2003 (I have 2003 and 2007 installed on my workstation, XP Pro) and still no resolution. Has anyone else seen this and if so, can you tell me how to resolve this? Jim Does anyone know the name of the file the message...

activate a cell value through a macro
I would like to activate a cell value which is a formula based throgh a control button.Iam new to macro code .As some users wants see their current balance of their a/c,query"wants to see your current balance" by pressing button "yes" the cell should display his balance otherwise the cell value blank.Any body from excel experts,please help me how to write assign a macro for this task Why do you want to use a button? Why not just add a formula to that cell to continuously show the balance? -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "...