how do i plot a saw tooth graph?

i want to plot a saw tooth graph. this is like an inventory graph where there
is production and instantaneous consumpltion

0
zen (4)

Can you give an example of the type of data that you want to plot?

"zen" <zen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> i want to plot a saw tooth graph. this is like an inventory graph where
there
> is production and instantaneous consumpltion

0
breinhardt (272)
1/10/2005 7:09:49 PM
Zen,

Assuming the data label "A" resides in cell A1, you can set up a simple
sawtooth pattern by using an XY Scatter chart with your data set up as
follows:

A	B	C	D	Y
1,000	5,000	5,000	9,000	0.5
1,000	4,000	5,000	8,000	1.5
1,000	3,000	5,000	7,000	2.5
1,000	2,000	5,000	6,000	3.5
1,000	1,000	5,000	5,000	4.5

Assume the sheet name is "st".  Create an XY Scatter chart.

The first series is a vertical line . . .

The X values are:
=st!$A$2:$A$6

The Y values are:
=st!$E$2:$E$6

The second series is a diagonal line . . .

The X values are:
=st!$B$2:$B$6

The Y values are:
=st!$E$2:$E$6

The third series is a vertical line . . .

The X values are:
=st!$C$2:$C$6

The Y values are:
=st!$E$2:$E$6

The fourth series is a diagonal line . . .

The X values are:
=st!$D$2:$D$6

The Y values are:
=st!$E$2:$E$6

And so on . . .

Given this logic, you should be able to set up an XY chart to show inventory
additions, consumption, and trigger points for reordering.

----
Regards,
John Mansfield
http://www.pdbook.com

"zen" wrote:

> i want to plot a saw tooth graph. this is like an inventory graph where there
> is production and instantaneous consumpltion

Zen,

A much better way to create the sawtooth graph is to set your data up like
this:

	Inventory
1/1/05	5,000
1/2/05	4,000
1/3/05	3,000
1/4/05	2,000
1/5/05	1,000
1/5/05	5,000
1/6/05	4,000
1/7/05	3,000
1/8/05	2,000
1/9/05	1,000
1/9/05	5,000
1/10/05	4,000
1/11/05	3,000
1/12/05	2,000
1/13/05	1,000

Create a simple line chart with your X-axis formatted as dates.  Please note
the duplicated dates at 01/05 and 01/09 that include the maximum and minimum
inventory values.  The duplicated dates effectively create the sawtooth.
Sorry I didn't create this before my previous post.

----
Regards,
John Mansfield
http://www.pdbook.com

"zen" wrote:

> i want to plot a saw tooth graph. this is like an inventory graph where there
> is production and instantaneous consumpltion

Plots
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0015_01C50860.E8475A00 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="koi8-r" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Are there in Visual C++ plots drawing library like BCB TeeChart? Thanks in advance. ------=_NextPart_000_0015_01C50860.E8475A00 Content-Type: text/html; charset="koi8-r" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dkoi8-r&q...

Simple graph #2
I have a range of data corresponding to several years: Year Amount 1997 100 1998 150 1999 200 2000 250 etc How can I display a graph with this range that shows the amounts in a bar graph on the Y axis and the years along the bottom on the X axis. If I use the wizard it tries to compare 1997 to 100 which is obviously not what I want to do. Hi, The quickest way is to clear the cell that contains the word Year and then use the wizard. Excel is trying to help you, although not successfully, by using the column headers as a clue that you have two data series. Cheers Andy Ant...

Line Column Graphs
I am trying to create a graph from 4 sets of data. I am looking at departmental success and as such have the success percentage for 3 individual departmenst in columns O,P&Q, and a global success rate in R. I want to create a graph with teh departmental success for each day shown in columns, and global success shown as a line. However, when I chose the Line Column Graph from the list, it only allows me to have 2 columns as opposed to the 3 I require. Can anyone help? Cheers Andy Hi, It will be easier if you create a standard column chart based on the 4 sets of data. Then s...

How do you not include 0 value data on a graph?
I have a chart made that is formulated so that data fills in automatically every month. I then have a graph attached that plots the data. My problem is that when there is no data for that month then the graph plots a continuous line that shows 0 after the real data. Is there anything that I can put in the formula so that if there is no value or 0 value it won't plot it on the graph? Hope this question makes sense! Absolutely, use NA() if you don't want to graph the point. -- HTH, Barb Reinhardt "bergie" wrote: > I have a chart made that is formulated ...

plotting long plots
I have a HP designjet 110 nr plotter. I've created a plot that we nee to show drilling activity. My first plot was 24"x36". Plot works grea and to scale. My next plot was to be 24"x72". Now the charts will no even display in Print Preview. I can scale back the plot where it i about 48" and it will preview and plot, but I need it to go out eve futher than 72 inches. I may go out as far as 30 feet. I have images on the plot area and it will print it just fine at th farther distances -- TexasDa -----------------------------------------------------------------------...

Graphs #4
Is there a way to create range names for each row in a table and by using a drop down list with these names in the list that are then used as the series range in a graph eg Row1 named RowA = 100 200 300 400 Row2 named RowB = 250 350 100 400 Row3 named RowC = 10 4 9 30 5 Row4 named RowD = 1000 40 500 40 Then as the graph range based on a drop down list one selects RowB and 250,350,100,400 is used in the graph. If one selects RowD then the graph changes. Thanks Carlob1 Yes you can. Highlight each row of data, e.g. A1:D1, click on <Insert>,<Name>,<Define> , type the name...

Plotting Data
Hi, how can I plot the analysis data in the document class, in its related view class. Is it possible to make plots like in MATLAB (surface plots,mesh plots of a matrix)??? ...

Simple Graph
This is probably the easiest problem ever posted, and I have accomplished it before, but for some reason this morning it is not working!!! I want a simple graph - line at 45 degrees to the x-axis, going through the points (0,0), (1.5,15) and (3.0,30). I have 0,1.5 and 3.0 in cells A2:A4, and 0,15 and 30 in cells B2:B4. What am I doing wrong? What needs to be "Data Range" and "Values"??? Many Thanks Hi Gary, Choose the chart type xy-scatter instead of Line. Gary Thomson wrote: > This is probably the easiest problem ever posted, and I > have accomplished...

bar, line and cumulative bar graph in one chart
Hi I was making a dashboard chart which has a gropup of 4 bar graphs, showing 3 parts each and a line graph ....for 10 issues. Please suggest Su Is this what you mean by a "dashboard chart"? http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Speedometer.html "Suchita" <Suchita@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:499046A2-B085-4917-AD2A-422872EE7577@microsoft.com... > Hi > > I was making a dashboard chart which has a gropup of 4 bar graphs, showing 3 > parts each and a line graph ....for 10 issues. > > Please suggest > > Su Hi Barb, T...

Coping Saw w/ 5 Pc Blade Set
Price:$5.99 Image: http://thediscountlocator.info/image.php?id=B0006UOV8G Best deal: http://thediscountlocator.info/index.php?id=B0006UOV8G Coping Saw w/ 5 Pc Blade Set Zinc plated steel body construction. 3 ½ Lacquered hardwood handle is small enough not to get in the way yet large enough to get a good grip. Very thin and compact design makes it easy to get into tight areas. 5 tempered blades: 1- medium for cutting woods, 1-fine for thick metal or hardwood, 1- extra fine for thin metal or thin woods, 2- hacksaw blades for all metals. Blades are easy to replace, just unscrew the ha...

plot
Dear member, I have a question . The question is how to make a graph=85.I do know your name or kind For example I have range the value of mean and variance. I need to plot the two in same graph how is attachad . mean var tn 287.787 120.619 t12 2.147.523 13.843.230 t18 2.698.113 22.254.429 t24 3.288.497 17.780.971 td 1.841.121 7.918.387 Anyone have one idea.. how to make it? Thanks&Regards Jen Hi, Highlight all the data, with titles and click the Chart Wizard button and choose a line chart type, follow the wizard. However, your first two data points are very large relative to al...

Graph not plotting what it should be plotting
I am having difficulty with Excel and was hoping someone could be of assistance. I am plotting a series of graphs with time on the x-axis and water level on the y-axis. The first set of graphs looks good. If you put the pointer over one of the points on the x-y scatter plot graph you see: "EW-5 Pump Test" Point "4321.00" (4321.00, 2445.04) 4321.00 is time in minutes and 2445.04 is the water level in feet. However, my next series of graphs for the same well (plots the same type of data for another event) looks like: "EW-5 Recovery Test" Point "43...

graphs from worksheet
I am a teacher and have set up a worksheet for each class. Against each pupil there are columns showing their result for homeworks ( as a number) and other assessment tasks (again as a number). I have been able to create a graph showing each pupils progress by highlighting each individual row and using the graph tool. However as I have many classes doing it this way takes hours. Can anyone suggest a way of creating multiple graphs? Thanx -- Message posted via OfficeKB.com http://www.officekb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/excel-chart/200704/1 ...

plots sent to to a chart tab do not show plot & I loss the plot
I have a spreadsheet that has a chart tab with a plot of data from another part of the spreadsheet. Now, however, the chart is empty and when I try to send any plot to a chart tab the plot is lost and the chart tab is empty. This is happening now in all my spreadsheets the plot can be created within a spreadsheet but as soon as I move it to a tab the plot is lost and the chart tab has nothing in it. !!!????!!!! ...

drawing box plots with excel
I have different sets of data and would like to draw box plots (Minimum lower quartile, medium, upper quartile, maximum) to present them. I there any way to do this with excel or do you know another program that might help? Many thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com do you want to actually plot the box or do u want excel to work out the results for the upper quartile ect? MVP Jon Peltier has some instruction on his site for creating box and whisker charts: http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ComboCharts.html#B oxWhisker HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original ...

Graph an Equation
How Can I Graph from an Equation in Excel? Ex: P=-.0056Q + 12 or P=.0033Q + 8 Thank you in advance for any help! Mike One way: In A1, enter "Q", in B1, enter "Result". In A2:Axxx enter the domain of the function (the Q-values you want to look at, e.g., 1 to 100 in A2:A101). In B2, enter =-0.0056*A2 + 12, and copy down for as many rows as you filled in column A. Select a cell in the data range. Click the Chart Wizard, and choose an X-Y scatter graph (with or without lines). Finish the wizard.. In article <10uq3bkt92dh441@corp.supernews.com>, "Micha...

XY Scatter Plot
I have a stringline chart I have made out of the XY scatter plot chart for trains in our area. The file is a program that allows users to input a train number (e.g. 520), start time (8:20 - using military time) and a starting location and an ending location. This if for my boss so he can experiment with various train schedule and see the trains in a stringline diagram (time of day vs. mileposts for each train). I currently have all the trains plotted against the mileposts and, correctly, some trains start and end midway where as others complete the entire run. My problem is I am getting some ...

what's wrong wiht my bar graph in excel?
I"m trying to do a bar graph and I have two columns to compare. One is 1,000,959 and the other is 920,387. I've adjusted the left asix to reflect 100,000 increments and discovered that the 1,000,959 bar stops just above the 900,000 indicator and teh 920,387 bar stops just above the 800,000 indicator. With my previous experience of graphs, the value of the bar should coincide with the marks on the graph. Am I right? HOw can I fix this so I don't look like an idiot in my presentations?? Thank you! "maggie" <maggie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in mess...

Column-Line Graph -add column
I have a Column-Line Graph showing 2008 and 2009 data in columns with the Mean as a line. I am trying to add 2010 data and it keeps making it a line instead of a column. Right-click the line, choose Change Chart Type, and choose the column chart type. -- Echo [MS PPT MVP] http://www.echosvoice.com What's new in PPT 2007? http://www.echosvoice.com/2007.htm Fixing PowerPoint Annoyances http://tinyurl.com/36grcd PowerPoint 2007 Complete Makeover Kit http://tinyurl.com/32a7nx "Cyndi3" <Cyndi3@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:99CBCC0A-35FC...

how do i plot a rose diagram to show frequency of wind direction
can i use excel or another program in microsoft to do this? Hi Kathryn, Get a wind rose for Excel here http://edferrero.m6.net/content/windrose.zip Ed Ferrero http://edferrero.m6.net "kathryn" <kathryn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:71874D4A-0D49-4490-BAE1-2C74F9E876FC@microsoft.com... > can i use excel or another program in microsoft to do this? ...

Excel 97 Graphs/Charts What's happened to the colours?
I had just got to grips with the charting options in Exdcel 97 when the other day, all my nice charts had changed colour, THey are now all wishy washy colours and I can't find out how to change the default colour settings to give me more colourful options. Can anyone help? Maybe you changed the palette in the workbook. Look at Tools, Options, Color. The Reset button will restore the default palette. Before changing anything you might want to save the customized palette in another which you can do from the same dialog. Chart colours in Series are automatically applied from bottom ...

changing all bars within a bar graph to same color at once
Is there a way to change to the same color on all the bars within a chart at the same time? I assume you have a chart with more than one data series? Experimentation seems to suggest the answer is NO, but of course all (many) things are possible with VBA This will make them all aqua Sub MakeColor() ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("Chart 1").Activate myCount = ActiveChart.SeriesCollection.Count For j = 1 To myCount ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(j).Select With Selection.Interior .ColorIndex = 8 .Pattern = xlSolid End With Next j End Sub...

how to plot a polar chart / plot
http://www.andypope.info/charts/polarplot2.htm http://www.andypope.info/charts/polarplot.htm http://www.oaltd.co.uk/Excel/SBXLPage.asp#Charting http://www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/ExcelTips/Polar.htm Cheers Andy Aparna wrote: -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info ...

Help Plotting Cartesian Coordinates
I would like to chart this columular data on a cartesian graph. This data produced by a coordinate measuring machine measuring a hole position. The nominal axes are X = 26.85 and Y = -3.85. This information will provide a graphical view of process repeatability. C_1.X C_1.Z 26.843 -3.864 26.865 -3.875 26.88 -3.872 26.839 -3.847 26.848 -3.839 26.812 -3.845 26.87 -3.872 26.842 -3.873 26.84 -3.878 26.809 -3.867 26.842 -3.845 26.888 -3.895 26.808 -3.853 26.881 -3.831 26.856 -3.821 26.86...

Y Axis
Hi, I need to produce a horizontal bar graph from the following set of data: Quarter Q1 04 Q2 04 Q3 04 Q4 04 Q1 05 Q2 05 Q3 05 Q4 05 Q1 06 Jul Q1 Actual 38,221 45,749 Jul Q1 Forecast 12,777 55,829 16,257 4,016 214 0 Oct Q2 Actual 38,221 45,749 Oct Q2 Forecast 12,777 55,829 16,257 4,016 214 219 Jan Q3 Actual 22,539 45,749 Jan Q3 Forecast 12,777 55,829 16,257 4,016 214 219 465 Apr Q4 Actual 99 Apr Q4 Forecast 12,777 55,829 16,257 4,016 214 219 465 319 I have added a secondary Y axis but it shows the $ value instead of the time s...