How do I mark data points in an Excel chart as significant?

I have Excel 2003 and want to mark specific data points on a line chart as
statistically significant with some kind of symbol (*).  I cannot for the
life of me figure out how to do this, or maybe it is not possible.  Thanks
for the help in advance.

Chris -

You can split the data into two series, and use a different symbol for
significant points. This web page has instructions:

   http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ConditionalChart1.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Chris Russell wrote:

> I have Excel 2003 and want to mark specific data points on a line chart as
> statistically significant with some kind of symbol (*).  I cannot for the
> life of me figure out how to do this, or maybe it is not possible.  Thanks
> for the help in advance.

merging sheet data (many into one)
greetings i have numerous bank statements, all formatted the same and all on different sheets. i want to merge them all into one sheet. kindly assist. gabriel Hi and how do you want to merge them (below each other, summing them?). Take a look at http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy2.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Gabriel Smit wrote: > greetings > i have numerous bank statements, all formatted the same and all on > different sheets. > i want to merge them all into one sheet. > kindly assist. > gabriel ...

Insertion point disappears in outline view of PPt 2007
When typing the content of my presentation in outline view, if I pause for a second, the insertion point "disappears". If I continue to type, the new text does not show up either in the outline or on the slide. I can click back in the outline pane and continue but the insertion point soon disappears again - sometimes in the middle of a word. I provide training and support to faculty and staff at a 2-yr college and one of my faculty members called this morning with the same issue. I have used the outline pane extensively in multiple versions of PPt (including 2007) a...

Select Excel files by formula
Each of my Excel file names is a customer's last name. I print reports with the customer name down the left side and information about that customer (for example: has a certain task been completed by the forecast date?) in multiple columns to the right of the customer name. Each column has a formula similar to the one below: =IF('[Smith.xls]Buyer Progress Record'! $B$12="failed","F",IF('[Smith.xls]Buyer Progress Record'! $N$28<>"?","---------",IF('[Smith.xls]Buyer Progress Record'!$M$28<$AA$2,"! ! ! ! !&...

CTRL-N will NOT open a new workbook in Excel
When user logs into Excel for first time, Book2 is the first workbook opened (I don't know why it skips over Book1). When he attempts to create another workbook by using the CTRL-N command, he gets the error message: "The Macro '!CheckInstance' cannot be found". If it helps to know, he is only able to create another workbook by using the New icon on the standard Toolbar. If he tries by going to File-New... nothing happens. He's opening a file that has stolen the ctrl-N keystroke. Here are a couple of sites that explain how to troubleshoot startup problems: ...

Insert & update data
Hi all, Is there any tool to update exsisting data and insert record if data is new? Exp: when we are importing data from a file say excel(accounts)based on Account name, tool has to check whether that particular record(Account) is already exists in CRM or not if record exists then it has to update that record with new data comming up from file.if not present then it should insert/import new record(aacount) with new data. Thanks in advance, CHN Hi, You can use Scribe (http://www.scribesoft.com/) to update existing records in MS CRM and insert new if the record does not exist. You ca...

Excel Based Budgeting
When attempting to Import budget from Excel or even create new blank excel budget from Great Plains ver 8.0 I am receiving the following error. Unexpected Error; Quitting. This happens at the point of selecting or creating the excel file. Exporting to Excel from Smartlists works fine. Hi Clyde, It happens on all machines? Is some error displaying on screen? Did you try to re-install tha application? (may be have some error with some component at Windows registration) Regards, Takashi "Clyde Hall" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:154701c52fe...

A new Semantic Power Tool for working with Multiple Excel Spreadsh
Hi Excuse the brazen out of the blue plug for my product - but I am quite certain this is going to be interesting to many of you who work with multiple spreadsheets: Would you care to look at the following brief intros at: http://www.semanticbusinessintelligence.com or the Excel specific page at: http://www.semanticbusinessintelligence.com/excel.html or the Semantic Discovery System for Excel Multi Spreadsheet Integration Video here: http://www.semanticbusinessintelligence.com/videos.html We would appreciate any feedback - and especially the opportunity to discuss mutual business o...

Data from xml file gets truncated when writing to text file
Hello everybody, I have an xml doc and I am trying to write the values from xml file to a tab delimited text file. Currently, what I am doing is I am reading xml file through XpathNavigaotr and manipulating all the nodes,elements and attributes than I am writing those values to a text file using stream writer. Now coming to my problem When I am writing data to the text file value of the last record is getting truncated. My code sample for formatting the xml looks like this Private Sub Format(ByVal myXPathNavigator As XPathNavigator) Dim strtemp As String = String.Empty ...

excel highlighting emails
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Intel I have a column labeled email addresses on my spreadsheet, but I do not want them to be highlighted. SOme highlight and when you click on it to make a correction it automatically goes to an email form, which I do not want. Some email addresses do not highlight and are fine. Select the range of cells containing the hyperlinks, Control/Right-Click in the selected range, choose "Remove Hyperlink". HTH |:>) Bob Jones [MVP] Office:Mac On 3/19/10 8:31 AM, in article 59bb58a3.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP...

tick mark or what ?
Case 1 - it works the way i want it - case 2 the whole arry is written. why? 'where is my thinking going wrong'? ist's just the blank (Write-Host $i"." $...||Write-Host $i". "$...) 1. [array]$SaveLast10Decembers=@(Get-ChildItem | where-object {$_.name -match "$FileYearDecember\d{2}_\w{3}-\w{3}\.\w{3}$"}) Write-Host $i"." $SaveLast10Decembers[$SaveLast10Decembers.count-1].name "wird verschoben" | Out-File $LogFileName -append --> 1. YMAT1_20091231_SAP-JOB.txt wird verschoben 2. [array]$SaveLast10Decembers=@(Get-Chil...

Subtotal charting
I have hundreds of entries in an inventory spreadsheet. I subtotaled the entries to give me a total cost for each item for the month. Now I want to create a chart of the subtotals but when making the chart, the computer selects every entry instead of just the subtotal entries. I tried hiding the other entries but it still selects them. Is there any easy way to select the subtotals to make the chart from? Rico Did you use the Data>Subtotals command to create the subtotals? If so, you can use the outline buttons at the left of the worksheet, to display only the subtotals. Then, s...

Retrieving data from a database list
Hi, I would like to know how to retrieve one value from a database list based on multiple criteria. My list as the following headings: Company, Year, Revenue ($) I would like to perform some form of lookup function to retrieve a unique value based on several criteria. E.g. If Company = "company 1" and Year = "2000", return the value for "Revenue ($)". Bear in mind that there are several hundred company names, and that I would like to be able to copy this formula into other cells, referencing different criteria. I've tried DGET, but can't work ou...

Excel
Hi, I want to set up an excel ssheet to automatically pull price data from a website into a cell. Furthermore, each day I want the new price to be added into the next available cell down from yesterday's update, in order for me to keep a historical record and graph it. Eg. on 2 Jan I want the script to update the gold price from http://www.kitco.com/market/ to cell B5 and save. On 3 Jan I want it to update the price into cell B6 and save, without overwriting B5, and so on. Is this possible (using a macro or something), and if so what must I do. Please provide easy to ...

How do I save & apply sorts subtotals in excel to new worksheets?
I have a worksheet in Excel that I have set up the way I want. I have Page Setup, Format, and Sort set up in a particular way. Is there a way to apply this specific set of (Page Setup, Formats, and Sorts) parameters to an existing worksheet? Are they in the same workbook? For page setup: Select the "master" worksheet ctrl-click on the other worksheet tab file|page setup and click ok For the Formats: select the master worksheet ctrl-a (twice in xl2003) to select all the cells ctrl-c (to copy) to the other worksheet select A1 Edit|paste special|Formats I'm not sure how yo...

Cannot open Outlook data file
When I turn my wife's administrator account on my XP SP2 Home machine into a limited one, she loses the ability to open her Outlook 20003 data file. I get an error message saying she does not have permission. How can this permission be restored? Some registry key? Does she have full read/write rights on the directory her PST is containted within? "Walt G" <anon@universe.com> wrote in message news:O9z8ltv5FHA.268@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > When I turn my wife's administrator account on my XP SP2 Home machine into > a limited one, she loses the ability to o...

Removing the data tracking add-in link
I made a template quite a few years ago. In it we were using, "Template Wizard" add-in. The template has been developed through many years, has so many defined names, links etc. Now, I want to stop using "Template Wizard", for I wrtoe macros to transfer the required data in to MSAccess. But I am not finding a way how to break the earlier links of "Template Wizard" completely. If I just remove the "Template Wizard" add-in, it gives error "Template Wizard" not found every time I open the template. Any suggestion? Thanks in advance. t...

Importing Access Data
i got an Excel spreadsheet that shows data from an Access query. that Access Database (mdb file) is password protected so whenever i try to open the Excel spreadsheet it asks for the password. is there any way that i an open the Excel file without it asking for the Access Database password?... of course without removing the password protection from the Access file. it is probably very easy with some VB coding. if anyone know or can help me with the code, it will be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance. ...

Excel 2003 Addin "Template Wizard with Data Tracking"
Is there and where can I get the Template Wizard with Data Tracking for Excel 2003? Does Microsoft plan to keep developing this addin for this and future versions of Office? I see the download for the XP2002 version but this does not work with 2003. It is not included on the CD or the online list of addin's and has not been included since Office2000, hence the individual download for XP2002. CLF Hi ChrisF the Add-in is working in 2003 only the install file is not working. Copy the xla file from a machine with 2002 to a machine witrh 2003 and it will work(use Tools>add-ins to ...

how can deactive cells to input data
help me plz if you see one of the templates like balance sheet in excel some of the cells are deactived and users just input data in special cells. so how can I deactive cells that users can not input data? thanks a million Hi Kaveh! No need to post to more than one group and be aware that it can take several minutes for a post to "arrive" at the group. By default all cells in a worksheet are formatted as locked with the lock implemented by imposing protection using the Tools > Protection menu. First select the cells that you want users to have access to. Format > Cells ...

Macro/Word converting double-quote marks into angle quotation marks
Hi all, I've scripted a vba macro that opens html pages in txt format and adds the following line after <BODY> (through a search and replace): <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="Output.css" /> The problem I'm having is that Word or the macro (don't really know) is converting the double-quote marks into angled quotation marks (ASCII 147 and 148), which makes the line above unreadable by the browser. I've tried using Chr(34): "<BODY><link rel=" & Chr(34) & "stylesheet" & ...

I have typed in an excel cell and cannot advance to next cell by .
I need to find out what to do for this problem. I typed contents into a cell in Excel and cannot advance to next cell by hitting return key. It is only happening in one column. Remainder of document is ok. Thanks What do you have selected? More than one cell? Do you have any helpful macros running? aneruth wrote: > > I need to find out what to do for this problem. I typed contents into a cell > in Excel and cannot advance to next cell by hitting return key. It is only > happening in one column. Remainder of document is ok. Thanks -- Dave Peterson ...

Word document format marks
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel How do I hide format marks in my Word documents. Docs show paragraph marks, tab marks, etc. They do not print when I print the document. One day I was typing and accidentally hit a key or key combo and there they were. You can simply click on the �-icon in the Standard toolbar (it looks like an inverted "P"), or, if you prefer using the keyboard, hit Cmd+8. On 30/03/10 15:52, DrJ117@officeformac.com wrote: > Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel > How do I h...

Creating Command button on Excel Sheet
Can anyone tell me how to activate a command button in Excel Sheet (M Excel 2000). I can create a botton there , but i can't execute it -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Have you allocated some code (procedure steps) to the button using VBA? Rob "patwary8 >" <<patwary8.11jbds@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:patwary8.11jbds@excelforum-nospam.com... > Can anyone tell me how to activate a command button in Excel Sheet (MS > Excel 2000). I can create a botton there , but i can't execute it. > > > --- > Message posted ...

marking replies
I want to have an arrow, or something, on my inbox list that indicates I have replied to that email. I have it on other computers, but can't figure out how to install on this one. There already is... on the little envelope icon in the From column blue arrow => indicates forwarded purple arrow <= indicates replied to -- Dave N. MS-MVP (Mail) Windows 7 Ultimate http://download.live.com/wlmail "John" <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9ADE4C9F-94F7-4FF6-8BB0-789ECE557E97@microsoft.com... > I want to have an arrow, or...

Concatenating data
Hi, I wish to concatentate the data from 5 fields and display results in another field. I need this to take place when the exiting the 5th field while adding a new record to the table. Can someone give me the visual basic code to program this function. Please note that I am just a beginner therefore I would require the full code to enter into the command. Thanks in advance. HOW1 wrote: > Hi, > > I wish to concatentate the data from 5 fields and display results in > another field. I need this to take place when the exiting the 5th > field while adding a new record to the...