How do I make a graph ignore zero's in Excel 98

Hi,

I set up a chart that graphs changes in quantity over time.

It's source data comes from multiple different places in my
spreadsheet, so, to make it easy to graph, I use formulas to set it
out nicely.. namely, two rows, the top with date and the bottom with
quantity.

Problem is, that everyday I have to copy the quantity grabbing formula
over to the next column.

If I leave the formula pre-copied right across, it skews my trend line
and makes my graph look terrible because it dives down to zero.

If I don't copy the formula, I miss the latest set of data.

Essentially, I just want it to consider zero's as skipped values but I
can't seem to make it happen.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
0
tanastasi (3)

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 04:47:24 GMT, tanastasi@ingram.com.au (Tino) wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I set up a chart that graphs changes in quantity over time.
>
>It's source data comes from multiple different places in my
>spreadsheet, so, to make it easy to graph, I use formulas to set it
>out nicely.. namely, two rows, the top with date and the bottom with
>quantity.
>
>Problem is, that everyday I have to copy the quantity grabbing formula
>over to the next column.
>
>If I leave the formula pre-copied right across, it skews my trend line
>and makes my graph look terrible because it dives down to zero.
>
>If I don't copy the formula, I miss the latest set of data.
>
>Essentially, I just want it to consider zero's as skipped values but I
>can't seem to make it happen.
>
>Any advice would be very much appreciated.
>
>Thanks

You need to select the date range to end at the end of the data, or use
an array formula to build the chart data up to the day before the "0".
There is no way to turn it off. Line charts cause this problem, but if
you used a column chart this wouldn't be a problem. You can have the
columns join each other which gives you a staircase type of line chart.

Father Guido
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
I plan on living forever... so far, so good
0
FGS (10)
9/18/2003 5:24:33 AM
Have your formulas return #N/A instead of zero.

Jerry

Tino wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I set up a chart that graphs changes in quantity over time.
>
> It's source data comes from multiple different places in my
> spreadsheet, so, to make it easy to graph, I use formulas to set it
> out nicely.. namely, two rows, the top with date and the bottom with
> quantity.
>
> Problem is, that everyday I have to copy the quantity grabbing formula
> over to the next column.
>
> If I leave the formula pre-copied right across, it skews my trend line
> and makes my graph look terrible because it dives down to zero.
>
> If I don't copy the formula, I miss the latest set of data.
>
> Essentially, I just want it to consider zero's as skipped values but I
> can't seem to make it happen.
>
> Any advice would be very much appreciated.
>
> Thanks

0
post_a_reply (1395)
9/18/2003 11:18:01 AM
There will still be a problem calculating a trendline even though you
can't see the zero-value columns.

Your suggestion to make a dynamic chart that uses only the non zero
range is the way to go.  I have some examples and links regarding
dynamic charts on my web site:

  http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/Charts/Dynamics.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
_______

FatherGuido wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 04:47:24 GMT, tanastasi@ingram.com.au (Tino) wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I set up a chart that graphs changes in quantity over time.
>>
>>It's source data comes from multiple different places in my
>>spreadsheet, so, to make it easy to graph, I use formulas to set it
>>out nicely.. namely, two rows, the top with date and the bottom with
>>quantity.
>>
>>Problem is, that everyday I have to copy the quantity grabbing formula
>>over to the next column.
>>
>>If I leave the formula pre-copied right across, it skews my trend line
>>and makes my graph look terrible because it dives down to zero.
>>
>>If I don't copy the formula, I miss the latest set of data.
>>
>>Essentially, I just want it to consider zero's as skipped values but I
>>can't seem to make it happen.
>>
>>Any advice would be very much appreciated.
>>
>>Thanks
>

> You need to select the date range to end at the end of the data, or use
> an array formula to build the chart data up to the day before the "0".
> There is no way to turn it off. Line charts cause this problem, but if
> you used a column chart this wouldn't be a problem. You can have the
> columns join each other which gives you a staircase type of line chart.
>
> Father Guido
> ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
> I plan on living forever... so far, so good

0
jonpeltier (303)

Make Default

How do you delete a file in Excel's VB?
Not much more to ask than that. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks Tino Tino, Use the Kill command to permanently delete a file. For example, Kill "C:\temp\book1.xls" Note that Kill does not put the file in the Recycle Bin. To delete a file to the Recycle Bin, see www.cpearson.com/excel/recycle.htm . -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com <tanast@ing.com.au> wrote in message news:3fce6904.5614763@news.clari.net.au... > Not much more to ask than that. > > Any help would be much appreciated. ...

Can I stop rounding in excel?
I am doing come calculations and end up with 139.7 for example. If I format the cell as a number with no decmial points it automatically rounds up to 140. Normally this is ok, but in this case I don't wnat it to round. Can I turn the rounding feature off? Jmadden wrote: > I am doing come calculations and end up with 139.7 for example. If I format > the cell as a number with no decmial points it automatically rounds up to > 140. Normally this is ok, but in this case I don't wnat it to round. Can I > turn the rounding feature off? If you format the cell as "gener...

Saving excel as htm(l) file?
Another one that I can't find how to do, I used to be able in Office 2000 do a Save as ~ html, but can't seem to find this in excel on Office 2007. I'm sure it's there but could somebody point me in the right direction as I've tried 'help' but it hasn't helped, as it were ;-) Many thanks Keith (Southend) http://www.southendweather.net On Nov 5, 10:18=A0pm, "Keith (Southend)G" <keith_harr...@hotmail.com> wrote: > Another one that I can't find how to do, I used to be able in Office > 2000 do a Save as ~ html, but can't seem to find...

Excel VB application
I am working on a VB script with the goal to import data from a raw file (using userforms) into the spreadsheet. Is it possible to develop this in Excel AND create it as an EXE file? Thank you in advance for any help. NJ Excel cannot produce executable (EXE) files. -- Rick (MVP - Excel) "Neil Jones" <nj@dev.null> wrote in message news:#hiTBqB6KHA.5464@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > I am working on a VB script with the goal to import data from a raw file > (using userforms) into the spreadsheet. Is it possible to develop this > in Excel AND creat...

Copy/Paste shortcuts slow in excel
I am having a problem with my Excel 2000. I have a very high spec machine with loads of RAM and fast proc but I am having a major problem with my Excel. When I use the copy / paste shortcuts (CTRL + C amd CTRL + V), no matter how small the cell(s) I am copying, it takes upto 30 seconds. If I go to Edit > Copy or Edit > Paste from the menu bar, it is instant. Just to include, I am not using any macros. Also, 4 other pc's with identical builds on them, are not having the same problem. Any ideas? Thanks in advance Eanin Beag First, I have no real idea why the difference... Try cl...

keep getting zero instead of empty cell
=INDEX(TABLE.xls!$A$1:$AQ$500,MATCH(B1,TABLE.xls!$A$1:$A$500,),MATCH("Drawin Number",TABLE.xls!$A$1:$AQ$1,)) This is the formula that I've been using to pull the matching value i the column "Drawing Number" from TABLE.xls, based on what I type i cell B1. This all works fine until the corresponding cell for Drawin Number is blank. I want to be able to specify what shows up in th cell in my new sheet when the other cell is blank. Even if it's just blank space that's what I want to show up. So I did some research on this board and am using the following formu...

making a transfer show up in the budget

Linking graphs to other spreadsheets
Hello All, I have two seperate workbooks, one of the two has graphs that pull data from the other file. If I only open the file with graphs, the data in the graph is accurate, but the axis on the bottom is not accurate (The bottom is a date format) If I open both files and then look at the graphs, the axis looks proper. Is there a way to link the files that I don't have to have both open to look at the graphs? -- Thank you for your time! John ...

making tickets

only top border bar graph visible
Hi, Is it possible to show only the top border of a bar graph? If so, how? Cheers, Harold Hi, What exactly do you mean by the top border of a bar graph? You want to collapse the chart down to a line? You can drag the bottom border up until it reaches the top border. -- If this helps, please click the Yes button. Cheers, Shane Devenshire "mohavv" wrote: > Hi, > > Is it possible to show only the top border of a bar graph? > If so, how? > > Cheers, > > Harold > ...

Excel 2002 locks up
For some reason my Excel 2002 locks up when I attempt to save a document. It seems that it does it when I have several Excel documents open at the same time. Not to say that it won't do it when I only have one document open, I just have only experienced with several documents open. I'm running Windows 2K Pro on a Sony PCG-R505DCK laptop. I don't know if this info helps but I guess it can't hurt. Any help you can give is great. Thank you in advance, Tony ...

AN OPPORTUNITY TO MAKE $$$

Bar Graph on Form (rectangle control code)
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd758785.aspx This website gives a good description of how to use a small amount of coding to have a rectangle controlled by a field value on a report appear as a bar graph when you print preview. I would like to do something very similar, show a bar graph within a form based on a field's percentage (between 0 and 1). In the example they put the code into the OnFormat event property. I would like my bar graphs to appear upon opening the form. Hope that I can use very similar code as in the example but what would I put it in... OnLoad...

Balance Points in Excel Charts
Hi. I regularly produce stacked bar charts to show ranges of opinions (e.g. very poor, poor, acceptable, good and very good quality). In these charts I often manually add a drawing shape to show a 'balance point' (like a see-saw) - to show how opinions differ between different groups of people. I would like to know if there is a way to add a drawing object (or shape etc) to a graph - but linked to data (i.e. so that it is linked to the middle point of the data). This would make my graphs more dynamic and would save me a lot of time adding these shapes in man...

Conditional Formating Excel Form
Hi All I have a Form in excel which lets people enter monitoring information It has the fields Target, Reported and Difference. The Target field i pre-set, they have to enter the Reported field and the Difference fiel is a calculated field based on Targeted - Reported. If this difference is more than 10% or less than -10% I would like i the following: A. To change the font colour in the Difference text box red. and B. The form to open another text box (called reason) - so that they ca explain the difference. Any help would be much appreciated Cheers J -- JoePineapples I c...

Password Prompt When I Close an Excel Document I Opened in a Web Browser
Hi, Each time I close an excel document it prompts me a username and a password. I found an article (Q324328) http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=324328 in Microsoft support web site about the same issue with Word. I tried to apply the same solution but it didnt work. The document is on our Intranet. If i enter a userID who has permission to write to the folder where th doc is stored it works. Internet guest account has list content right. Any ideas? Thanks Lenny ...

How to make VLOOKUP work for this

Ignoring Negative Values
Like all things in Excel there must be a way... Given a column of numbers (say for simplicity 5 numbers) how can you use a formula to sum them and ignore any that are negative? (e.g. four of our 5 numbers are 5 and the other is -5 I want my formula to display 20 and not 15 or 25). Thanks. =SUMIF(A1:A5,">0") Greetings from New Zealand Bill K "solomon_monkey" <solomonmonkey@aol.com> wrote in message news:1119083876.413478.65430@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Like all things in Excel there must be a way... > > Given a column of numbers (say for simp...

Explorer won't open Excel 2010
Ever since I installed Excel 2010 I can't open an Excel file from Explorer. When I click on a file Excel opens but the file isn't there. Files open fine when opened from within Excel. Is there a setting that will fix this? Thanks Kurch was thinking very hard : > Ever since I installed Excel 2010 I can't open an Excel file from > Explorer. When I click on a file Excel opens but the file isn't there. > Files open fine when opened from within Excel. > > Is there a setting that will fix this? > > Thanks Same thing happens with Excel 2007. I'd also be in...