How do I keep excel chart "data table" formats in several workbook

I have 1 workbook with the source data that creates serveral charts.  The
charts have been formated to show "data tables" containing both dollars and
percents.  I want to take the graphs and split up to various excel workbooks.
 When I copy the graph tab from the source file into the new workbook, I lose
the formatting on the "data tables."

Is there a way to copy the graphs to new workbooks while retaining the "data
table" formats?  I would prefer to not have to maintain the source data
within each of the workbooks.  The goal is to update the source file which
will automatically update the new workbooks.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Stacey
0
StaceyD (2)

Data tables aren't very flexible. You could put a table in the cells near
the chart, and format it however you like. The data can be linked to the
original, so it updates when the original data is changed. In fact, if you
put the chart data into the second workbook, and link it to the original,
you lose your need to maintain two copies, because the links handle it for
you. And don't worry about added storage requirements, because the added
hard disk space is much cheaper than the time you spend worrying about it.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"Stacey D." <StaceyD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have 1 workbook with the source data that creates serveral charts.  The
> charts have been formated to show "data tables" containing both dollars
> and
> percents.  I want to take the graphs and split up to various excel
> workbooks.
> When I copy the graph tab from the source file into the new workbook, I
> lose
> the formatting on the "data tables."
>
> Is there a way to copy the graphs to new workbooks while retaining the
> "data
> table" formats?  I would prefer to not have to maintain the source data
> within each of the workbooks.  The goal is to update the source file which
> will automatically update the new workbooks.
>
> Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Stacey

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)

How do I align a data table with the corresponding data?
I have a chart with two different types of data, with units displayed on both left and right vertical axes. When I add a data table, the labels on the right axis offset the graph from the data table. Is there some way to keep the graph in alignment with the data table short of removing the table and creating the look I want in Powerpoint? We have a solution - simply select the Plot Area and resize. Table automatically realigns itself, and when you resize it back to full size, stays properly attached. "Ray" wrote: > I have a chart with two different types of data, with un...

Editing Chart Data Table
I have a bar chart with 2 different series of data (Item cost in $, and % of total volume delivered). I want to create a data table under the chart, but have it only show the values for the volume delivered and not the item cost. Is there a way to exclude data from the data table? Thanks. ...

100% Stacked Chart
Is it possible to use the 100% stacked chart (by month) and display the monthly totals in the data table only? Or another way to ask Is it possible to use the 100% stacked chart in combination any other chart? -- B Rager Assume it's a 100% stacked column? Add another series with the monthly totals, which starts life as another stacked column. Select this series, go to Chart menu > Chart Type, and change it to a line type, so it doesn't mess up the columns. Double click on the line series, and on the patterns tab, format it to be invisible: no lines, no markers. If it...

How do you keep the data table format from changing
I have tried all sorts of methods to keep this data from changing it's format when it is emailed to another recipient. Help ...

How do I create a one variable data table?
Look in Excel's help files for 'one variable data table'. And there's information in the following MSKB article: XL: How to Create and Use One-Input Data Tables in Microsoft Excel http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282855 Prelll91 wrote: -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

Data Table
I'm posting this is General and in Excel Functions, because I don't know where it will get looked at. Apologies. I have a spreadsheet that is set up to pull up historical stock prices via dde links that is driven by the stock's ticker - e.g. MSFT Once the prices are pulled into the spreadsheet, it calculates some values - to keep it simple, let's say it calculates a 5d, 20d and 50d moving averages. I want to create a data table that will use all the tickers I want to look at in the column on the left, and the three moving average periods in the row, looking something li...

Data Table
Hello, I have a graph measuring two points of data. But I just want to see one of them in the Data Table and both in the graph. How do I visually get rid of one of the data in the data table but keep it visually in the graph? Thanks in advance. I don't think you can. I think you'd have to just put the "data table" in manually, because, as far as I know, an actual data table is what it is and doesn't give you much room for customization. -- Echo [MS PPT MVP] http://www.echosvoice.com What's new in PPT 2010? http://www.echosvoice.com/2010.htm Fi...

Data Table Help
Excel 2003 - I have a line chart with a data table showing values by month. Also on the chart is a target line - not a trendline - the target line remains a constant value (since it is a target) so I do not need to show it's value on the data table but because I am plotting the line on my graph it is automatically showing up in my data table. Is there a way to take it off? I've tried adding data - merging the cells with the data - no dice. Is this even possible? Thanks, K Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice BizTalk: Conditional looping incorpo...

Hide bank series in Data Table
Hi, I have created a Line Chart that includes the data table below it. Whilst I have been able to specify that blank series (rows) are not plotted, the Marker still displays in the Data Table, even though there is no corresponding data. Is there a way to specify that blank series should not display the Marker in the Data Table? Thanks, Kim -- Kim in Melb ...

multiple headers in data table
Hi, I need to have my data table header row split into 2 separate rows. one for a name, the next row for their position. Is this possible, or will i have to make it work with just the one row? Hi, yes, but it doesn't look that great. Try laying your data out like this and then charting it. Position Name Amt Mgr Student1 2 Student2 4 Student3 1 Student4 2 Student5 8 Staff Student6 1 Student7 1 Student8 2 Student9 8 Student10 8 Actor Student11 5 Student12 9 Student13 2 Student14 6 Student15 4 Personally, I am in favor of putting the data below the chart in the spreadshe...

Business Portal 4.0 data tables
Hello, I am looking for info regarding Business Portal data architecture. Specifically, I am trying to create a report/query that would pull all approved time-off requests in HRSS for a time period. Built-in queries don't seem to provide this option. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Hi, Thanks for using the newsgroups. I would suggest taking a look at Hrm_VacationRequest. It holds vacation request information in varying states. Thanks Rob -- Rob Bernhardt Software Quality Assurance Microsoft Business Solutions This posting is provided "AS IS" with no...

How to add % to columns with dollar value data table.
I want to add % to a column chart but my series contains dates and value has a dollar amount that needs to be in the data table. Please clarify with examples of the data. -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "Richardson" <Richardson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CEB00851-448D-41C2-AE5A-3070EAEB2FC5@microsoft.com... >I want to add % to a column chart but my series contains dates and value >has > a dollar amount that needs to be in the data table. ...

can I hide a series in a stacked bar chart but keep the series in the data table
I've got a stacked bar chart with a data table. I'd like to sho information in the data table that I don't want displayed on the chart Specifically, I have 3 data series that add up to a total. I want t show the total in the table, but not the chart. Is this possible usin Excel 97. When I remove a series from the chart, it also removes i from the data table ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com ~~Now Available: Financial Statements.xls, a step by s...

How do I keep graph "data table" formats in separate excel workboo
I have 1 master file that contains all the details to create various graphs. I would like to have these graphs included in various other excel files. When I copy the tab with the graph from the original workbook into a new excel workbook, the "data table" that is shown with the graph loses its format (ie dollars and percentage formats get lost). Is there a way to retain the formats of the "data table" without having to copy and maintain the source data in each of the new excel workbooks? The goal is to have graphs in each of the new excel workbooks get updated ...

How do I keep excel chart "data table" formats in several workbook
I have 1 workbook with the source data that creates serveral charts. The charts have been formated to show "data tables" containing both dollars and percents. I want to take the graphs and split up to various excel workbooks. When I copy the graph tab from the source file into the new workbook, I lose the formatting on the "data tables." Is there a way to copy the graphs to new workbooks while retaining the "data table" formats? I would prefer to not have to maintain the source data within each of the workbooks. The goal is to update the source file wh...

Hide the data label for a data table in a chart
Excel is automatically adding a title or maybe it's called a data label [shows in name box] to the line of date from the data table in my chart. It's calling itself Series 1 and I can't figure out how to hide it. Help! Kathy - Go to Chart, Chart Options, Legend, and uncheck Show Legend. Carole O "Kathy" wrote: > Excel is automatically adding a title or maybe it's called a data label > [shows in name box] to the line of date from the data table in my chart. > It's calling itself Series 1 and I can't figure out how to hide it. Help! Kathy -...

How to add colum totals to a pivot chart data table
I have a chart for pivot table and would like to so totals for the data. The data table on the chart displays the pivot table data but not the totals for each column. How can the totals be displayed on the chart? Hi Tmarsh You can't include the Grand Total in a pivot chart. You could create a normal chart, based on the pivot table, and include the totals in that. On Jon Peltier's site, there are instructions for creating a normal chart from pivot data: http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Pivots/pivotcharts.htm Regards, Pedro J. > I have a chart for pivot table and would like to s...

Suppress zeros from the data table of a chart
I am plotting data on a monthly basis for a year from the result of som calculations in the spreadsheet..... So when it's April the values in the rest of the year are turned out a #NA (a tip I saw on this forum just now....thanks). However the data table under the chart still insists on displayin these with a value of 0. This would not be a problem if some of the charts didn't have expecte perfromance levels of 0. Anyone know how to turn these zeros off in the data table ? Thanks in advance Andy:confused -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Andy, Using the NA()...

Excel 2007 Line Graph, Data Table, Number Formatting
I'm using Excel 2007, and have created a Line Graph with a Data Table below the graph. The issue is that the Number Formatting is fine with numbers like 2.53 and 2.58, but the number formatting shows the number of 2.50 as 2.5. It cuts off the trailing zero for this and only this number in the table. The source data says "2.50", and all other numbers show two digits to the right of the decimal point. I've tried a few things, but to no resolution. How can I fix this so my data table give two digits to the right of all numbers? Hi Paul, I cannot reproduce this in XL ...

Conditional formatting in a data table
I have conditionally formatted a range of data. When I charted the range the conditional formatting of the data is not included in the data table when this option is selected under the chart. Does anyone know if this is correct or is it me? :confused: Any help would be apprciated. Tim -- TimR ------------------------------------------------------------------------ TimR's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27843 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=473518 ...

How do I create a one variable data table? #2

Don't Plot Point but leave in Data Table
I don't want to plot a couple of points in my chart but like to keep them in the data table. How can I accomplish in MS 2007? EXCEL 2007 Try the following (I have a bar chart on the screen in front of me as I do this. It has 9 countries on the Y axis; I will remove 2 of those countries). 1. Click the graph to highlight it. 2. Select Data. Select Data Source window launches. 3. Hit the:- Switch Row / Column button 4. I now have my countries in a list on the left hand side. - click on France and hit Remove - click on Germany and hit Remove 5. Hit t...

Data Tables format
Excel 2000 - my data table is showing in dollars when the source data and value axis is formatted in pounds sterling. I believe all you need to do is change the format for that column from $ to the correct currency. Use the FORMAT CELLS command, select CURRENCY and select the appropriate symbol. "Maria Smith" <Maria Smith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C4D56AC4-1F0B-431E-8105-099C651F4AAB@microsoft.com... > Excel 2000 - my data table is showing in dollars when the source data and > value axis is formatted in pounds sterling. Thanks Barb but it is n...

Data Tables and Conditional Formatting
I have a spreadsheet that is set up with currency values and negative currency values display in red text. When charting these values, the data table is all black text. Is there a way to get the negative currency values in the data table (under the chart itself) to display the in red text while still displaying the positive currency values in black text? I am running Windows XP and Excel 2003. Thanks for your help. Rich ...

Chart data table
In Excel 2003, the data tables that applied to charts would word wrap the x-axis labels if they were too long. This doesn't seem to be occuring in Excel 2007. Does anyone know how to fix this? I can't shrink the text too much because it has to be legible and the chart can only be so big because it has to fit on a powerpoint slide. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks! ...