How do I hide part of a data series in a chart?

We have a chart with 2 data series - Budget & Actual.  We want to show all 12
months of the budget, but only the year-to-date months of the actual.  The
problem is the data cells for the future actual amounts have formulas in them
so the chart use the result and plots the line.  We do not want to delete the
data (which will require manual input each month, we just want the actual
data series line to not show for the future periods.  We tried using IF
statements with 0, "", " " and an alpha character, but these have not worked.
--
Jeff

Hi Jeff:
You can set up your actual data as a dynamic named range series, using the
OFFSET function.  Many MVPs give tutorials how to do this on their websites,
see for instance:
http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/newsgroups/dynamic_charts/index.html
http://www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/exceltips.htm#Dynamic
http://www.contextures.com/xlNames02.html

GL,
Henk

"Jeff Bremer" wrote:

> We have a chart with 2 data series - Budget & Actual.  We want to show all 12
> months of the budget, but only the year-to-date months of the actual.  The
> problem is the data cells for the future actual amounts have formulas in them
> so the chart use the result and plots the line.  We do not want to delete the
> data (which will require manual input each month, we just want the actual
> data series line to not show for the future periods.  We tried using IF
> statements with 0, "", " " and an alpha character, but these have not worked.
> --
> Jeff
0
HEK (135)

Linking Charts
Can I place a link to a different chart inside a chart? No, not natively in XL. But depending on what you mean by 'link' there may be a way to simulate the effect. -- Regards, Tushar Mehta www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials Custom MS Office productivity solutions In article <6116EE09-2C41-4430-9B48-FCCD218D2AEF@microsoft.com>, purplereign@discussions.microsoft.com says... > Can I place a link to a different chart inside a chart? > ...

Hiding "0" values in pivot table

Charts in Multiple Sheet in Excel
I am new to the VBA programming & I am trying to develop a VBA script which will create charts (as a separate worksheet) for each worksheet in a workbook. Sub drill() For i = 1 To Sheets.Count Sheets("Sheet(i)").Select Range("A8:I12").Select Charts.Add ActiveChart.ChartType = xlColumnClustered ActiveChart.SetSourceData Source:=Sheets("Sheet(i)").Range( _ "A8:I12"), PlotBy:=xlRows ActiveChart.Location Where:=xlLocationAsNewSheet, Name:="Oxygen Chart" With ActiveChart .HasTitle = True .ChartTi...

Making data highlight in bold
Hi all, Thanks for other advice previously. This time I would like to do the following: I have columns of sales revenue data, I would like the rows tha contain the clients details (address, # etc) to highlight in bold whe the sales exceed $30000 in the revenue column. Would I use Conditional formatting for this? Thanks in advance for any help Cheers, Saxte -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Saxter! Select the data table Format > Conditional format Formula is: (Example) =$E5>30000 Format button Select format to taste OK OK -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel...

Hiding formuals in cells question

insert zeros in front of cells already filled with data.
If there is data is a column of cells in Excel how do I insert/add additional data (000) in front of each cell? Two ways. If all cells should be the same length, like a check number or an account number, it's called "leading zeroes": http://www.officearticles.com/excel/show_leading_zeroes_in_microsoft_excel.htm If you just want to put 3 zeroes in front of other text, you can use another column to create a formula: ="000"&a1 will give you the contents of A1 preceded by 3 zeroes. ************ Hope it helps! Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "Horizon" <...

Consolication of data
Anyone have a quick way of taking a set of data (x value of time) tha is presented in 10-minute bins (data point every 10-minutes) an consolidate to 30-minute binned data sets (essentially sum every 10-minute bins to each 30-minute bin). Thanks. Mik -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com My data actually starts in B9, does that changes how things are done i the formula? Mik -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com My data actually starts in B9, does that changes how things are done i the formula? Mik -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Mike Using...

Extending views to related entities data
Hello, We need to be able to display in views all related entities datas, and cascading related entities (parent relation), may be using a syntaxe like related_entity.attribute_name or related_entity.related_entity.attribute name, just as we do in dotnet datasets displayed in datagrids columns. Thanks CS ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the ...

Using Chart in a Form
Hi, I am trying to put a chart in a form. I use the chart wizard and answer all the questions. While i'm doing this i press on the prview key to see what my output will look like and it looks correct. When i press the finish key i get a chart in my form but it is the wrong one. I get a what seems like a sample chart displaying sales for 3 regions by quarter. No mater what i do, this is the chart the appears. I expect the chart will display correctly in the form view. If you want the design view to look correct, you should open the Row Source in datasheet view and co...

Resizing Data Tables
I have 37 seperate charts that I update every month. I have broken the charts down in to departments and with in the departments, in sections. The big wigs want to have 4 charts on a page, which is what I have done. The problem is that the scale for the sections is 50, because of a few problem areas. But a lot of sections only have 1-10 incidents. With the scale to 50, and with the data labels it makes it hard to read. So I thought about using Data Tables on those that are compact. The problem is that it resizes my chart very small. I would like to resize the data table to get rud of so...

importing bin data
Hello: Since Integration Manager does not offer the ability to import Inventory items along with their bin locationsand quantities, is it worthwhile to try to import bin quantities into GP via Table Import? childofthe1980s Table Import certainly offers that advantage over IM and any other integration product. Take a look at my article on Table Import at http://dynamicsgpblogster.blogspot.com/2008/10/often-overlooked-yet-powerful-table.html for a complete overview. Best regards, -- MG.- Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP Maximum Global Business, LLC http://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com The D...

hide my name

Hiding and Un-Hiding Data fields

How do I hide gaps in an Excel 2007 chart?

lines on bar charts
If I graph a simple straight trend line on a chart, how do I get it to run behind the bars on my chart - rather than showing across the bars? David, To do so, you will need to create an overlay chart. An overlay chart is simply one chart laid over another. First create the Excel generated line and bar chart. The, make a copy of the chart. Delete or make tranparent everything in the second chart with the exception of the columns. Finally, overlay the second chart over the first. What I'm describing above sounds like a lot of work. However, Jon Peltier has an example with VBA ...

chart on the form
Is it possible to have chart controls on the form? I would like to have Excel chart like bare, pie, line chart on the form base on the data in the table. Is it possible to do this? If yes, any controls or activeX controls available for Access? Your information is great appreciated, Use Pivot Chart view and select pivot chart on form properties. Damon "Souris" <Souris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:40472F3E-CA90-4D7A-9FBB-75F89078CBD5@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to have chart controls on the form? > > I would like to have Excel chart like...

Sharing data between threads
Hi, I have a problem relating to sharing data between multiple threads. Basically, the problem I'm having is that I have a instance of a class I defined myself. I am spawning a child thread that runs a class function. ie. something like: CreateThread(NULL, 0, (LPTHREAD_START_ROUTINE)staticChildThread, (LPVOID)this, 0, &m_dwChildID); //staticChildThread is a member of the class This function alters class members as it is processing. The problem I'm having is that when I try to read these class members from the main thread, the values are unchanged. It is not until the very en...

Hide images when Hiding Rows

Hiding a worksheet #3

how to hide an ActiveX control?

Hiding plot Area

Hiding rows with VBA
Hi all, In my sheet called "insertsheet I have this VBA: (thanks to some users of Google groups) Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Const nMAX As Long = 10 Dim nRows As Long Application.ScreenUpdating = False With Me With .Range("B8") If Intersect(Target(1), .Cells) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub nRows = .Value End With .Range(.Cells(1, 5), .Cells(1, _ .Columns.Count)).EntireColumn.Hidden = True .Range(Cells(1, 5), .Cells(1, _ ...

Summing up data from various worksheets
I have daily data all on different worksheets (31 in total) and I would like to add up all of the data in these worksheets in a monthly compilation I have so far been using the =sum('jan. 1'!B6, 'jan. 2'!B6 ... etc.) which although is effective is very time consuming is there an easier way to sum up all of the b6 cells without entering them individually? Thanks -- mark_vi_ ------------------------------------------------------------------------ mark_vi_'s Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24507 View this thread: http://www.excelf...

hiding rows
I have data in cells A7:DK394 which all have 0 in them until totals are added in other worksheets which then pullthrough. At the end of the week I have to Hide all rows from A7 to A394 that still have 0 in them as no totals have been added in other sheets so the customer has not posted with us. is there any way excell can recognise the cells that have no data against them and hide them automatically by pressing a button. or if they all start off hidden unhide as data is entered. Hopefully this makes sense many thanks for any help with this as again its to save me lots of...

How do I hide email addresses in outgoing mail
Hint: You post your question in the body of the post, not the Subject. Hint 2: Use the BCC field. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Dennis" <Dennis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B2C2A70C-6C94-4688-8BAF-0A50AC9C142D@microsoft.com... > "Dennis" <Dennis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B2C2A70C-6C94-4688-8BAF-0A50AC9C142D@microsoft.com... > PLEASE write your question in the body of the post and NOT just the subject Have a look here: http://dts-l.net/goodpost.htm As posted here MANY MANY times - put them in the BCC...