How do I do dashboard charts in Excel

I have 3 sets (budget, forecast and actual) of sales and profit numbers and
would like to show them like a dashboard ( two small circles for Budget and
Forecast and a bigger one underneath those two for Actual. All 3 circles with
a hand point to the numbers linked to the source data ). Can anyone tell me
how to make a start?

Thanks and regards

Nick
0
CHENG (4)

Hi Nick,

Here are some examples of speedo type gauges.
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Speedometer.html
http://www.andypope.info/charts/gauge.htm

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

I've used many of the techniques to improve my reports and have saved time
developing better reports.

Take a look at the site. It's amazing how you can develop 24 - 30 readable
charts on a single page.

http://www.exceluser.com/dash/startdash.htm

"Nick Cheng" <Nick Cheng@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have 3 sets (budget, forecast and actual) of sales and profit numbers and
> would like to show them like a dashboard ( two small circles for Budget
> and
> Forecast and a bigger one underneath those two for Actual. All 3 circles
> with
> a hand point to the numbers linked to the source data ). Can anyone tell
> me
> how to make a start?
>
> Thanks and regards
>
> Nick

0
dkod (205)

Sharing violation on Excel files and cannot find the path specifie
W2003 Storage server in a Microsoft cluster with storage on a Compellent SAN. Problems with Excel files. Lot of corrupted Excel files. Excel files with sharing violation. If I want to delete a file I get the message “cannot find the path specified". Files are not in use. These problems occur only with Excel files opened with MS Excel. If Open office is used there is no sharing violation. Single Instance Storage is activated. Problems disappear after a while and occur on other Excel files. Is someone familiar with these problems? Thanks in advance. Will ...

Updating linked Excel charts in PowerPoint
I am experiencing a problem with updating links to Excel graphs. I am copying a graph from Excel 2007 and pasting "special" as a link. The problem is when updating the links......the size of the graph increases tremendously. Please help! In article <DDD53669-E093-400E-93DB-179D4F43CD47@microsoft.com>, Vin wrote: > I am experiencing a problem with updating links to Excel graphs. I am > copying a graph from Excel 2007 and pasting "special" as a link. The problem > is when updating the links......the size of the graph increases tremendously. ...

Automation speed of Excel
I'm currently taking multiple csv files and trying to process them into one excel workbook file (each csv on a seperate worksheet). The code is relatively simple, however, it seems to take obscenely long to process all this information into excel. For example, I have 3 csv files with 1000 rows and 4 columns. This takes about 30 seconds. Passing a single csv file simply by calling excel and saying open whatever.csv is almost instantaneous (i.e. I'm not trying to process it into an excel format, I'm just opening the actual csv file). Has anyone ever done anything like thi...

copy and past chart 11-09-07
I have created a chart based on a specific query. Both are successful and exactly what I want. However I need to create 10 more of these only for different employees. In the query, I can easily copy and past to make a new identical query and then just go into the design and change my criteria. I have also in the past copy and pasted reports and then just changed the data source to match a different query. However in a CHART I am unable to copy a successful chart and then paste it and go in to change the source to a new query? I hope this is not too confusing, but is there an &qu...

chart over time
I wish to create a line graph to chart errors over time. Each entry has a "Type" and "Date" column. I want the dates on the x-axis filled automatically and a different line for each type of error. Every time I try to enter it manually the chart shows only the dates on the spreadsheet. This doesn't display the trends very well. ...

Stacked chart
Hi, I need some help with creating a chart... I have a list of 21 products. I have 3 classes (A,B, and C) for the products. Each product can be classified as type X or type Y I need to create a chart that will show for each class how many Xs and Ys and the Totals of products. I need to show it as a stacked chart. I can do the stacked chart of the two types but fails to add the totals at the top. Any idea? Thank you, Tamir :-) נחמד היה לקרוא את השאלה בפורומי חו"ל. אצלנו רצוי לשאול בעברית(!) ויותר מכל - לצרף קובץ שבו המצוי והרצוי. תוכל למחוק ממנו נתונים חסוי...

excel path incorrect problem
Strange problem with excel 2002 sp3 on windows 2000 sp4. If we open an excel document via exel - eg file - open the document opens. However if we go to the network folder directly and try to open the same file we get an error - cannot find file - path/libary incorrect ? I did a seach for .xlb file which I know can be a problem and cannot find this at all but symptoms of this are usually excel hanging and not opening at all ? Any suggestions would be really appreciated. Thanks Carolyn Sometimes one of these works: Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it) --- or ---...

Help on Excel Chart
First, off I would like to say that I'm glad to be here and will try to help as much as I can and hopefully do a lot reading and learn. My questions is, if you have this: Business1 Business1 Business1 Business1 Business2 Business2 Business3 I need a formula/column chart that will show on the bottom (x) axis business 1,2,3, and y (axis) how many times it was listed. business1/listed 4 times. business2/listed 2 times. business3/listed 1 time. -- NewGuy ------------------------------------------------------------------------ NewGuy's Profile: http://www.excelforum....

insert excel charts as objects
Hi, I insert excel charts into publisher using the insert object command. It allows me to double click on the chart and modify it in excel even though it has been pasted in publisher. I have two problems with this. The first is that I am drastically shrinking the charts and when I try to modify them in excel they often become distorted. The second problem I have is that I would like to shrink the chart before inserting it into publisher. Is there a way to do this while also shrinking the background? Now I just end up with a small chart, but tons of blank space around it that gets inserted a...

Excel 2003 #6
Hi all Got a silly problem. MS Excel 2003 Professional via MS partner pack (aka Action Pack) Start Excel as normal, no problem, clik on FILE on the menu bar and Excel stops responding. ALL other menu items work correctly. I've un-installed and re-installed the software, no change. Excel WILL run in safe mode however. Any ideas anyone please. Thanks in anticipation, Adrian. PS I have an HP psc1215 attached and have noticed some mention of issues with their 'Share-to-web' rubbish that comes supplied (now un-installed) Close excel Use windows search and look for *.xlb (loc...

dashboard
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0094_01C553B7.3F857A80 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I need to create dashboards (odometers) any help would be greatly = appreciated. ------=_NextPart_000_0094_01C553B7.3F857A80 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; = charset=3Dis...

having a table in excel
How do I have a drop down list in a cell of a bunch of items and when you select on of the items in the drop down it will fill in the whole row and columns for that item. For example: Item Description Price Qty So when you select the item in column A it will fill in the Description, price and the quantity. Thanks Hi ashaback, I have a tutorial on how to do this here http://edferrero.m6.net/DataTutor01.shtml Ed Ferrero http://edferrero.m6.net/ > How do I have a drop down list in a cell of a bunch of items and when you > select on of the items in the d...

How can I use the tabs in excel
I am entering a text in a cell, and I need to use the TABulations to indent parts of the text (not all the cell). 1 - like that 2 - all in one cell THANKS A LOT Micheline To get two lines in one cell Type 1 - like that then hit ALT + ENTER to get a line break then type 2 - all in one cell To indent you must then go to Format>Alignment>Horizontal>Indent Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 15:34:02 -0700, Micheline <Micheline@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am entering a text in a cell, and I need to use the TABulations to indent >pa...

Permutation in excel
Hallo! I�me a new member in your forum, can somebody help me to solve this problem in excel please: I need to make combinations with a makro or a funktion in excel as followed: Combinations with 7 numbers from 1 - 35 like that: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 and so on, the last combination in this serie is: 1 2 3 4 5 6 35 Next serie: 1 2 3 4 5 7 8 1 2 3 4 5 7 9 1 2 3 4 5 7 10 And so on, the last combination in this serie is: 1 2 3 4 5 7 35 Next serie: 1 2 3 4 5 8 9 1 2 3 4 5 8 10 1 2 3 4 5 8 11 Until the last combination is: 1 30 31 32 33 34 35 Anyone who can help? ...

Organizing Charts
I have a unique Excel Chart saved on one file (chart01.xls). I have hundreds of files that each contain one chart (chart01.xls, chart03.xls, etc) .. How can organize these charts such as in Access database so I can quickly search and preview or open select chart? Any suggestions? -- FL Hi, If all the charts are saved to the same folder you might consider: 1. Using the Save Preview Picture feature so that when you use File Open you can set the display to Preview and see a preview. This is done by choosing File, Properties, Save Preview Picture. Remember the picture that is save...

MS Office 2000. Excel. Question on cell formatting
Hopefully someone can shed some light on this for me. I would like to configure my excel spreadsheet so as when an individual cell is selected (by mouse or arrow keys) it changes colour from the default white background to yellow or blue, then reverts to white when the next cell is selected ad infinitum. Is this even possible? I look forward to benefitting from your wisdom! Joe Hi see as an example: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/RowLiner.htm But this kind of event procedure will disbable the UNDO functionality -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Joe Hannett wrote: > Hopefully ...

Formating excel fields to access format fields
Hi all, Is it possible to make any equivalency between the type format of access to the type format of the excel i face this problem when trying to append excel linked table one type format that was the more problematic was to find the correct type format in the excel to adinteger(3) that is accually long integer,it was all the time giving the type format of double(5) any comments for this matter and in global to the type format matter Hi Donica, can you expatiate please the meaning of unique number i didnt understand it so much can you show me examples as well? Donica =D7=9B=D7=AA=D7=91: &...

Display cell value on a chart.
I have a spreadsheet that uses several "switches" to include or exclude certain data or calculations. I want to chart some of the results. I want the values of the switches to be included in the chart, say within a text box. Ex: I have a cell that is either "Yes" or "No" to determin whether the revenue from oil production should be included. I also have a cell that is a list of possible development scenarios. I want to include the value of this cell too. I need more than one cell's value to be displayed at a time. Ideally, it would be something like a t...

Excel 2007 QAT multiple print icons
Using Excel 2007, I want to be able to have more than one PRINT icon that is hardwired to specific printer definitions. One printer def is for printing a hardcopy, another printer def is for sending as a fax, and another printer def is for sending to a PDF generator. I have the printer defs defined but I'm wanting to "one click" each of the output options. From everything I've tried, it looks like I can only add the PRINT command once to the Quick Access Toolbar. Any suggestions? TIA. macro to run the desired "print", then add that Macro to the QAT B...

Pivot charts for brains
I have already asked questions regarding Pivot charts and I am still at a loss, I have been told to run a macro to keep my color formats however I am not much good at VBA. My chart is in a sheet underneath my pivot table and I have been using Private Sub Chart_Calculate() With ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(3).Interior .ColorIndex = 37 .Pattern = xlSolid End With the above to begin with but I know the private sub is in correct but what should it be for a pivot chart?? also what does With ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(3).Interior ??? mean I have looked on the i...

Create a Word Search Puzzle in Excel
I recently attended a Tips, Techniques and Shortcuts course for Excel. The instructor showed an intriguing feature...he created a Word Search Puzzle in seconds using Excel. May anyone direct me on how to create this puzzle? My children are constantly tasked to make these puzzles for school . I think this would be really cool for them to use. Thank you, Briggitte Briggitte, not for excel, but this site has a lot of puzzles you can make http://puzzlemaker.school.discovery.com/ -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Using Excel 97 & 2000 Please post any r...

Bar Charts that I don't want labeled within the chart
I am doing bar charts based on percentages. My titles are Poor, Fair, Good, Excellent. Usually the % for Poor or Fair is 0% but if it is 2% for Poor and 1% for Fair it looks like 21% because of the size. If it is under 3% I don't want it to show the title but I still want to show it via color in the chart so we know there was something chosen other than zero. Is there an If,Then type of statment I can use to correct this? Hi, Try this custom number format on the data labels. [>0.03]0%; Cheers Andy VenusITN wrote: > I am doing bar charts based on percentages. My titles a...

Charting using Stacked Column Graph
Excel 2002... I think I posted this in the wrong place before. I'm trying to chart a series that is comprised of 5 - 3 number groups. I can chart the first group, but when I try to add the next series, it stacks them onto the existing columns rather than make 3 new ones. The data looks like this (simplified): A1 A2 A3 B1 B2 B3 1-10 .01 .03 .58 .023 .025 .023 11-15 .012 .025 .025 .024 .588 .280 16-20 .012 .255 .158 .024 .254 .241 I get a nice chart with A1-A3...but can't add B1-B3 next to it. Help me, please. Thanks, Gre...

Excel Headers
Hello All, Hope all is clicking good. Excel allows a user to create a header but the header is only displayed when printing and is also very limited in function. I am trying to create an Excel document that devoted the first seven rows to a header and then remaining thousands of rows to a list of data. I.e.: HEADER Name: blah Date: 03/03/03 Time: 12:24:03 Title: Excel problem Procedure 1) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 2) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 3) ~~~~~~~~~~~ TABLE Symbol Name Description Price ----------- -------- --------------- -------- MSFT Microsoft A big giant $23.22 AAPL Ap...

Chart Data
Good morning all. I have several charts in a workbook that captures data from another workbook. The problem I am having is that the data gets converted from having two decimal points to four. I have tried formatting the source data cells with different number formats, ie: general number w/two decimal places and accounting numbers w/two decimals. Still the charts in the other workbook show 4 decimal places. Any ideas? Thanks, Chris Chris - Change the number formats in the target workbook. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solu...