How do I create a bell curve?

I'd like to create a bell curve with certain values to be distributed over a
certain period of time. How do I do this?

Any help would be much appreciated.

You may want the function NORMDIST.  Look it up in Excel help.
--
David Biddulph

"A little stuck" <Alittlestuck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'd like to create a bell curve with certain values to be distributed over
> certain period of time. How do I do this?
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.

0
David
9/11/2009 9:27:54 AM
 A  wrote  on Thu, 10 Sep 2009 20:48:01 -0700:

> I'd like to create a bell curve with certain values to be
> distributed over a certain period of time. How do I do this?

> Any help would be much appreciated.

Was it not suggested a week ago that you formulate the same question
more precisely, tho' David Bidduph's suggestion on NORMDIST should be
checked

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Thank you guys.

To be more precise:
Say I have a budget of 4,200,000 to distribute over one financial year. I'd
like to create a bell curve, which would split this value relatively evenly
over the 12 months (using whichever formula the bell curve needs so that the
distribution is slightly skewed towrds the positive x values). The purpose is
to have a nice graphical representation of the approximate distribution - the
values do not need to be exact).

"James Silverton" wrote:

>  A  wrote  on Thu, 10 Sep 2009 20:48:01 -0700:
>
> > I'd like to create a bell curve with certain values to be
> > distributed over a certain period of time. How do I do this?
>
> > Any help would be much appreciated.
>
> Was it not suggested a week ago that you formulate the same question
> more precisely, tho' David Bidduph's suggestion on NORMDIST should be
> checked
>
> --
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland
>
> Email, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Thanks guys.

To be more precise:
Say I had a budget of 4,200,000 to be distributed over the 12 months of a
financial year. I'd like to create a bell curve as a graphical representation
of the financial distribution over this time, using whatever formula needed
to create a normal looking bell curve (but slightly skewed towards the
positive values on the x axis). Thus, the values don't have to be exact, so
long as the overall budget amount is correct, and the bell curve appears as
described above.

I'm not sure how to do create this bell curve.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

 A  wrote  on Sun, 13 Sep 2009 19:15:01 -0700:

> To be more precise:
> Say I have a budget of 4,200,000 to distribute over one
> financial year. I'd like to create a bell curve, which would
> split this value relatively evenly over the 12 months (using
> whichever formula the bell curve needs so that the
> distribution is slightly skewed towrds the positive x values).
> The purpose is to have a nice graphical representation of the
> approximate distribution - the values do not need to be
> exact).

> "James Silverton" wrote:

>>  A  wrote  on Thu, 10 Sep 2009 20:48:01 -0700:
>>
> >> I'd like to create a bell curve with certain values to be
> >> distributed over a certain period of time. How do I do
> >> this?
>>
> >> Any help would be much appreciated.
>>
>> Was it not suggested a week ago that you formulate the same
>> question more precisely, tho' David Bidduph's suggestion on
>> NORMDIST should be checked

If you don't want an exact normal curve, why don't you just hand sketch
a curve, read off the numbers  and draw a smooth curve thro' them.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Excel 2007
Skewed Normal Distribution
http://www.mediafire.com/file/nmdmvyyvndj/09_14_09.xlsx
Thanks to all of you.
I am trying to use the NORMDIST function to create my bell curve, and am
putting the following values into a table:
However, the function is returning '0' for all of them. Eg. for the first
value I entered: =NORMDIST(B79, 350000, 1.5, TRUE), then: =NORMDIST(B80,
350000, 1.5, TRUE) for the second value etc. What am I doing wrong?

"Herbert Seidenberg" wrote:

> Excel 2007
> Skewed Normal Distribution
> http://www.mediafire.com/file/nmdmvyyvndj/09_14_09.xlsx

For a distribution with a mean of 350000 and a standard deviation of 1.5,
your value of 84000 is 177333 standard deviations below the mean, so what
would you expect the cumulative probability to be?  Zero sounds a good
approximation to me.
When you get down your table to 378000, you switch from a large number of
standard deviations below the mean to 18667 standard deviations above the
mean, and then the cumulative probability steps up to 1.  Isn't that what
you'd expect?

Have you looked again at Excel help for the NORMDIST function to remind
yourself what it does and what the syntax is?  What were you expecting the
function to tell you?
--

> Thanks to all of you.
> I am trying to use the NORMDIST function to create my bell curve, and am
> putting the following values into a table:
> 84000
> 126000
> 210000
> 252000
> 294000
> 336000
> 378000
> 420000
> 462000
> 504000
> 546000
> 588000
> However, the function is returning '0' for all of them. Eg. for the first
> value I entered: =NORMDIST(B79, 350000, 1.5, TRUE), then: =NORMDIST(B80,
> 350000, 1.5, TRUE) for the second value etc. What am I doing wrong?
>
> "Herbert Seidenberg" wrote:
>
>> Excel 2007
>> Skewed Normal Distribution
>> http://www.mediafire.com/file/nmdmvyyvndj/09_14_09.xlsx

0
David

create a roster

Task Create - Status

Create external database

How to create pie chart with %

when form created

Creating a Brochure

How to create Access macro shortcut

Creating an ad book

Access unable to create an MDE

create a database from which bibliography an be created
How do I create a database from which a bibliography can be added to the end of a Word document? I used the program RefManager, but that is too expensive for me to update. Does Word 2003 have such a program? Thanks Not natively. Have you checked your academic institution? They might have campus licenses which students can use at home. You could give Zotero a spin (www.zotero.org). Personally, I don't like it, but that's just me. Word 2007 comes with referencing capabilities, but they are limited in functionality. Anything special you want, you would have to add i...

Error creating activities from Cases
Hi I have an out of the box SBS 2003 CRM Setup I have installed Rollup1 and the new help files Under about MS CRM it has CRM 3.0 (3.0.5300.0) When we try and create activies from within a case, we get the following to errors in the event log We can create the activities just fromthe main web client menu ok The same thing happens in the outlook client (OL 2003, Exchange 2003) I found some links to verabose stuff, but they all applied to the have MS CRM setup on multiple server. We have tried it with and without Outlook open Anyhelp appreciated Event Type: Error Event Source: MSC...

Create multiple owner fields?
Is it possibel to create multiple owner fields in a form. We need to track the users who is working with an account. I know only own owner field is supported, but is it poosible to have one owner field and custom fields using the lookup dialog to map more users? // Mats Have you looked at creating a custom entity. Then have a Many to One relationship to user and a Many to One relationship to Account. "Langer" wrote: > > > Is it possibel to create multiple owner fields in a form. We need to > track the users who is working with an account. I know only own o...

create macro
Hi, How can I create a TWO seperate macros in a spreadsheet in Excel: there are icons/pictures which have a macro attached to it. How do I attach the macro? macro 1: to move to a different cell address like B158. macro 2: to print a certain range of cells. (say A158:G200) Thank u in advance Khalil One way: Put something like these in a regular code module: Public Sub MoveMacro() Application.GoTo .Range("B158"), Scroll:=True End Sub Public Sub PrintCertainRange() With ActiveSheet .PageSetup.PrintArea = "A158:G200" ...

Creating a duplicate worksheet
I have a spreadsheet which i wish to give access to other users. But I want this to be a master spreadsheet ,and create access to a constantly updated duplicate worksheet. This will enable other users the ability to ammend or adapt a duplicate sheet that will not affect the master. Can this be done? -- Thanks Paul Keep the master and distribute copies. -- Gary''s Student - gsnu201001 "Paul" wrote: > I have a spreadsheet which i wish to give access to other users. > But I want this to be a master spreadsheet ,and create access to a &g...

problem creating child for newly created entity
Referring to the code below. if I comment out everything after the first call to create, a project is quite happily created in CRM 4.0. If I create an application, and associate it with an EXISTING project by hard-coding the GUID, it works well (but this is not what I want!) When I try to create the application, associated with the project I just created, it times out. if I put a messagebox right after the first create method, I can view the ProjectGUID of the project that was supposedly created but it times out trying to create the application, and when I look, the project was not actuall...

Creating a Sum Column on a Table
I am trying to create a table that has 4 columns. The first three fields are test scores and the last is a column that I wish to have automatically sum the first three numbers. How does one accomplish this? Hi Pete Create a new query based on the table. In a blance column add something like this Result: Nz([TableName]![Field1],0)+Nz([TableName]![Field2],0)+Nz([TableName]![Field3],0) Change the TableName and field names to what they really are. The Nz function will replace a null with a 0 (which you need just in case any other fields are empty. In most case it's not a good idea to...

This note has been created since your attempt to create it
Hello: I am testing things in GP 10.0 after a test upgrade that I conducted. Upon trying to enter a record-level not into a Sales Order Processing Invoice, I get the following message: This note has been created since your attempt to create it. It will not allow me to enter a note. Any ideas? Is this a job for "NoteFix" or something? childofthe1980s Check if the record note index being assigned by the system to the invoice is already existing on the Record Notes Master table (SY03900). To get the next note index number for the invoice, 1) Go to table SOP40200 2) Query fo...

How to Create A Shared Folder in VC
Hi all, I want create a shared folder in vc and then another computer can copy files from the folder . thanks Take a look at NetShareAdd() and NetShareDel(): http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/stgmgmt/fs/netshareadd.asp Tom <CaoJianlin.G@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1150976743.914204.165300@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com... > Hi all, > > I want create a shared folder in vc and then another computer > can copy files from the folder . > thanks > Yeah , i got that and i found some sample http://www.codeguru.com/...