How do I chart date ranges with varying start and finish dates?

I want to create a chart that on one axis will show date ranges that have
varying start and finish dates.  The other axis is a list of project names.
Example:  Project #1, starts 5/1/05, ends 10/1/05; Project #2 starts 3/5/05,
ends 2/2/06, etc.  I want a bar chart that I can sort.  Any help is very
appreciated. : )

It sounds like you need to create a Gantt chart.  Here are some resources
that might help:

http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/GanttLinks.html

http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/GanttChart.html

http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=343

----
Regards,
John Mansfield
http://www.pdbook.com

"projectplanner" wrote:

> I want to create a chart that on one axis will show date ranges that have
> varying start and finish dates.  The other axis is a list of project names.
> Example:  Project #1, starts 5/1/05, ends 10/1/05; Project #2 starts 3/5/05,
> ends 2/2/06, etc.  I want a bar chart that I can sort.  Any help is very
> appreciated. : )
Wow.  Thank you, John.  I think I am in love.  PERFECT help info, just what I
needed.

"John Mansfield" wrote:

> It sounds like you need to create a Gantt chart.  Here are some resources
> that might help:
>
> http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/GanttLinks.html
>
> http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/GanttChart.html
>
> http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=343
>
> ----
> Regards,
> John Mansfield
> http://www.pdbook.com
>

> "projectplanner" wrote:
>
> > I want to create a chart that on one axis will show date ranges that have
> > varying start and finish dates.  The other axis is a list of project names.
> > Example:  Project #1, starts 5/1/05, ends 10/1/05; Project #2 starts 3/5/05,
> > ends 2/2/06, etc.  I want a bar chart that I can sort.  Any help is very
> > appreciated. : )
Hey, he didn't do any of the work!

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

projectplanner wrote:

> Wow.  Thank you, John.  I think I am in love.  PERFECT help info, just what I
> needed.
>
> "John Mansfield" wrote:
>

>>It sounds like you need to create a Gantt chart.  Here are some resources
>>that might help:
>>
>>http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/GanttLinks.html
>>
>>http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/GanttChart.html
>>
>>http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=343
>>
>>----
>>Regards,
>>John Mansfield
>>http://www.pdbook.com
>>

>>"projectplanner" wrote:
>>

>>>I want to create a chart that on one axis will show date ranges that have
>>>varying start and finish dates.  The other axis is a list of project names.
>>>Example:  Project #1, starts 5/1/05, ends 10/1/05; Project #2 starts 3/5/05,
>>>ends 2/2/06, etc.  I want a bar chart that I can sort.  Any help is very
>>>appreciated. : )

: ) Then you get kisses, LOTS of 'em!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx...

Nancy
projectplanner

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> Hey, he didn't do any of the work!
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Peltier Technical Services
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com/
> _______
>
> projectplanner wrote:
>
> > Wow.  Thank you, John.  I think I am in love.  PERFECT help info, just what I
> > needed.
> >
> > "John Mansfield" wrote:
> >

> >>It sounds like you need to create a Gantt chart.  Here are some resources
> >>that might help:
> >>
> >>http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/GanttLinks.html
> >>
> >>http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/GanttChart.html
> >>
> >>http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=343
> >>
> >>----
> >>Regards,
> >>John Mansfield
> >>http://www.pdbook.com

Legend on Chart

Demographic chart?

Summing numbers between a date range
I need to sum values in a row of data where the date in the column of the row falls within a certain date range. Here is an example of the data. The data to be summed is in sheet one and the dates used for the criteria are in sheet 2. Sheet_1: col a col b col c col d Nov 15/92 Feb 15/93 Sep 15/93 Feb 15/94 15.00 20.00 30.00 10.00 Sheet_2: col a col b Jan 1/93 Dec 31/93 Jan 2/94 Dec 31/94 I basically want to sum the data in Sheet_1 that is between a date range based on Sheet_2. For example, sum values in sheet_...

E2003 naming ranges correctly
Hi! Even though I named the ranges in my excel workbook, I cannot properly import excel contacts into Outlook. Not even when the excel data was originally exported from Outlook! In the import dialog box, the actions to be performed field 'doesn't show only 1 excel file to import, but al the column headers of the file as seperate items. I can only map custom fields per item. The result of such import is very strange. I found out converting the excel file first in an access db and than importing that access file in Outlook contacts, is an easy work around. But I get really sic...

Excel 2007 Line Chart with Markers

Vb ranges
Hello all I am defining a range in an application: Set rnge = range("csv_update") this works great as long as the code is executed from the worksheet that the range is on. I would like to hide this sheet and execute the code on a sheet (in the same workbook) called "Monitor". How can I get a hold of the range on a hidden worksheet from a button on the "Monitor" worksheet (or any other worksheet for that matter)? Many thanks maybe try Set rnge = Worksheets("hidden_sheet_name").range("csv_update") -- HTH Bob Phillips (repla...

Charting/ Graph question

Chart in Chart

How do I create a chart....

Make Exec work properly (error messages on start and exit)
Whenever entering Exec, I get the error message: Microsoft Visual Basic: Compile error in hidden module: AutoExecNew. on exit, the error message reads: Microsoft Visual Basic: Compile error in hidden module: DistMon. Annoying! Try a little testing before next release... I am running Excel 2003 (11.6355.6360) SP1 Try a little more research the time, MS can be blamed for many things but hardly for badly written 3rd party add-ins http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307410 Regards, Peo Sjoblom "TorG 8-((" wrote: > Whenever entering Exec, I get the error message: Microsoft ...

Date Problem #2
When I type 31/11/03 in a cell it will not follow the same format as the rest of the dates I have typed in. Can anyone please tell me why? I am using Excel from Office 2000 on XP Home Operating System. If that is referring to the 31st of November, unless there is a new leap year for November, Excel would be confused. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Gary Pickett" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A29ECE7C-4333-4D8D-818F-EF29CD835845@microsoft.com... > When I type 31/11/03 in a cell it will not follow the same format as the rest ...

Chart items moving around

Filter in between dates
Hi Everyone, Using Excel 2003. I have a list of patients who were on a particular therapy and in a certain unit. Many where on the therapy in other units before getting transferred or on the therapy after they left. I need to find the patients who started on a therapy after they arrived in a unit and who were off the therapy before they left the unit. My Date units show me Date and Time in the same field. They are named.. PtLocStDtTm PtLocEndDtTm PtThpyStDtTm PtThpyEndDtTm Thanks, Linda If desired, send your file to my address below. I will only look if: 1. You se...

How To Chart A Formula in Excel 2007

Sort documents by date in Apply Sales Documents window
Is it possible to add VB code to the Apply Sales Documents window to sort the documents by Document Date instead of Document Number? If so, does anyone have that code? ...

create chart from external application
Hi, I would like to know if this is possible.... I have an application that contains an hierarchical chart. I would like to export this data into a format that Visio can *understand*, and then import it into Visio and have it display in a hierarchical manner. Does any body know if this is possible to do. .....or, if there is another way of getting my data into Visio, can you please let me know. Thanks. Here is an article that describes how to automate the org chart wizard, and how to format your data: http://office.microsoft.com/assistance/2002/articles/spotlight5_July00.aspx Hope ...

print a chart over multiple pages
I am trying to stretch a chart over multiple pages, but i just can't get it to work. I have tried all i can think including attempting to print areas individually. Any ideas? i'm using excel 2003. Thanks Hi, If the chart is on a chart page, this will not work. If the chart is embedded on a sheet, and you select the chart, it will not work. What you need to do is embed the chart and then select the range "behind - under" the chart, then you can use all of the print options, thereby printing one chart across multiple pages. Cheers, Shane "OEB1527" <O...

Embed Chart
Is it possible to link a chart into my current worksheet like an embedded chart (or something)? Thanx. Brian - I'm not sure what you're asking. If you copy a chart from one workbook (or worksheet) and paste it into another, it will retain its links to the original source of its data. You can change its source data (to its new parent worksheet) using Source Data from the Chart menu. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/index.html _______ briank wrote: > Is it possible to link a chart into my current worksheet > like an...

Names on a Bubble Chart
Hi There, I am wondering on how I can put the "names" on my bubbles...? I've the following data where I would like to make a bubble chart with ... The bubble chart in itself works fine, I just do not manage to get the corresponding name (Product1, 2,...) on each bubble: NS AGP Growth Product1 9,052,494 22 (31) Product2 1,574,341 32 (25) Product3 1,759,511 3 (45) Product4 1,539,132 13 (69) Any thoughts? Jen ...

A Chart in a Chart ?
Is it possible to create a chart within another chart? If not - Is it possible to view a chart within another chart? Jim -- jamesasmithsr ------------------------------------------------------------------------ jamesasmithsr's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24101 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=377093 you can save a chart inside a second chart. Make the first chart and have it on its own sheet make the second chart and set its location as an object in the first chart sheet "jamesasmithsr" wrot...