How do I add a horizontal data line to a column chart?

I have two columns of data which I have charted, now I would like to put the
differences between the two.

For instance, if I have 926-843= 83, I want to be able to put that number on
my chart to show the difference.

Thanks
--
DMM
0

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"soconfused" <soconfused@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have two columns of data which I have charted, now I would like to put
>the
> differences between the two.
>
> For instance, if I have 926-843= 83, I want to be able to put that number
> on
> my chart to show the difference.
>
> Thanks
> --
> DMM

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
9/6/2007 1:07:37 PM
Jon, I'm having a bit of trouble with this.

On my chart at the present time, I have dates on the left axis and text on
the bottom axis.  The info in the chart are projected dates and actual dates.
 I've been asked to put the difference for each category  I don't necessarily
have to plot it, just have the numbers there.  Can you help me?
--
DMM

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AddLine.html
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> _______
>

> "soconfused" <soconfused@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have two columns of data which I have charted, now I would like to put
> >the
> > differences between the two.
> >
> > For instance, if I have 926-843= 83, I want to be able to put that number
> > on
> > my chart to show the difference.
> >
> > Thanks
> > --
> > DMM

0
soconfused (21)
9/6/2007 2:34:03 PM
When you said data line, I was not thinking of a set of labels in a line,
but rather of a line showing a target.

Compute the difference in the worksheet, then use one of these utilities to
add these values to one of the series as data labels:

    Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler, http://appspro.com
    John Walkenbach's Chart Tools, http://j-walk.com

Or add an invisible line chart series (no line, no markers) to the chart,
using a dummy date to position the points where you want them, and hang the
labels on this series.

- Jon
-------

> Jon, I'm having a bit of trouble with this.
>
> On my chart at the present time, I have dates on the left axis and text on
> the bottom axis.  The info in the chart are projected dates and actual
> dates.
> I've been asked to put the difference for each category  I don't
> necessarily
> have to plot it, just have the numbers there.  Can you help me?
> --
> DMM
>

> "Jon Peltier" wrote:
>
>> http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AddLine.html
>>
>> - Jon
>> -------
>> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
>> Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com
>> _______
>>

>> "soconfused" <soconfused@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have two columns of data which I have charted, now I would like to put
>> >the
>> > differences between the two.
>> >
>> > For instance, if I have 926-843= 83, I want to be able to put that
>> > number
>> > on
>> > my chart to show the difference.
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> > --
>> > DMM

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
9/6/2007 2:39:32 PM
Thanks so much, that worked great.  At some point I will be able to phrase my
questions properly.

Thanks.
--
DMM

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> When you said data line, I was not thinking of a set of labels in a line,
> but rather of a line showing a target.
>
> Compute the difference in the worksheet, then use one of these utilities to
> add these values to one of the series as data labels:
>
>     Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler, http://appspro.com
>     John Walkenbach's Chart Tools, http://j-walk.com
>
> Or add an invisible line chart series (no line, no markers) to the chart,
> using a dummy date to position the points where you want them, and hang the
> labels on this series.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> _______
>

> "soconfused" <soconfused@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Jon, I'm having a bit of trouble with this.
> >
> > On my chart at the present time, I have dates on the left axis and text on
> > the bottom axis.  The info in the chart are projected dates and actual
> > dates.
> > I've been asked to put the difference for each category  I don't
> > necessarily
> > have to plot it, just have the numbers there.  Can you help me?
> > --
> > DMM
> >

> > "Jon Peltier" wrote:
> >
> >> http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AddLine.html
> >>
> >> - Jon
> >> -------
> >> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> >> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> >> Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com
> >> _______
> >>

> >> "soconfused" <soconfused@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
soconfused (21)

Adding data that is not graphed to chart
I have a few existing charts that show percent compliance by category by quarter. There are seven categories on each chart. Is there a way to add the "n" to the chart as a label? I have the sample sizes for each category by quarter in a separate spreadsheet. Is this even possible? Hi, You could add a textbox or use a spare built-in title box, such as Category or Value axis title. These can either be edited manually or be linked to cells. http://www.andypope.info/tips/tip001.htm Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "mellermj&quo...

Hide certain columns in range
Hi All........ I have a Range named "Months" which is B25:AW25. Each cell in that range contains a number of 1-12 standing for a month. I would like to be able to hide all columns except the Month number I choose, and the one on each side of it. For example, if I choose the month 7, then I want to hide all columns except those with a 6,7, or 8 in my range. And of course if I choose month 1, I want all except 12, 1, and 2 to be hidden, etc. TIA for any ideas Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 Are your month numbers in consecutive order through the range B25:AW25 li...

Add Lookup Fields to Entity

Transfering data from 1 worksheet to another
I have several worksheets that are used to input data into to a summary worksheet for a golf league One of the worksheets is a schedule. The schedule worksheet has 18 columns (one for each week) and the 32 rows have the team's tee positions and opponents for that week. When the summary worksheets is printed each week it has the current weeks schedule shown. I would like to be able to have the current week's scheduled transfered to the summary sheet by identifying the week number and have the data transfered from the schedule worksheet to the summary worksheet. I tried the lookup...

Excel Add Ins

Add on

Hiding/Unhiding several lines at the click of a button
Is there a code i could implement into my sheets to unhide or hide the same line on several sheets I want to enter the line number into a cell Press a button called either 'HIDE' or 'UNHIDE' The code selects the line number entered in the cell on all sheets and either hides or unhides them. Thanks Mally -- HTH Bob Phillips ... looking out across Poole Harbour to the Purbecks (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Mally" <mallybee69@aol.com> wrote in message news:039701c3c2e3$2f0b4ba0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Is there a code ...

Logarithm scaling for charts
When using logarithmic scaling for charts the scaling interval is given in powers of 10 (1, 10, 100, 1000 etc). I want to be able to change the scaling interval to show data at a smaller log. interval (e.g. between 100 and 200). This is not at present possible in Excel but it would be extremely useful. vroomvondel wrote: > When using logarithmic scaling for charts the scaling interval is given in > powers of 10 (1, 10, 100, 1000 etc). I want to be able to change the scaling > interval to show data at a smaller log. interval (e.g. between 100 and 200). > This is not at present p...

POS 2009 Add-In: Populating a Task Pad

Issues
I am having ghost data appear randomly in my workbook while trying to clear data. The workbooks are large and contain multiple macros. When clearing a feild, Other ghost-like images of cells and data pop-up randomly and clutter my view. This is a new computer running windows 7 and excel 2007. IT has already updated my video driver and we are all stumped. Please respond quickly with ideas...they are threatening to give me back my old computer.... ...

Add-in cannot be loaded OL07

BOLD subject line in BETA or not?
Has the latest BETA of WLM finally addressed the issue for some of the subject line not being BOLD text as the From field from unread messages in email? Yes... All fields for unread are Bold Black(assuming a rule doesn' change the = color after receipt) All unread fields are Black instead of Gray. -- ....winston ms-mvp mail "paula" wrote in message news:u5FD3VmNLHA.2276@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... Has the latest BETA of WLM finally addressed the issue for some of the subject line not being BOLD text as the From field from unread messages = in email? ...

Format text to add character

Add File menu to custom toolbar

Cell value as chart scale maximum
I have a chart on a worksheet and want to make the Y scale maximum value equal the value of cell Y3 (this is a merged cell range Y3:Y5), rounded up to the next “5” increment. For example, 101% in merged cell Y5 would be 105% in the chart Y scale maximum. How would I do this? Hi Phil - Use the approach I describe here: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AxisScaleLinkToSheet.html but link to CEIL(Y3,0.05) instead of Y3. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Phil Hageman wrote: > ...

Data in Combo Boxes
I'm trying to get the date from a form to insert in to another worksheet cell but Excel doesn't seem to recognize the date selected from combo box dropdowns. Does anyone know how to get around this? Data validation is not an option because of the number of lines in the drop down (text is WAY too small). Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Can you use a simple formula in the intended destination cell that refers to the cell with the drop down. "Nicky" wrote: > I'm trying to get the date from a form to insert in to another worksheet cell > but Ex...

lots of data
Is there any way that when you export so much data that once it fills up all the 65K plus sections on sheet one, it will automatically flow to sheet two and so on? I created a stand-alone workbook that will do this for text-delimited files. I haven't gotten around to csv files yet. It's a work in progress but if you are interested let me know at... -- Gary Brown deletethispart.gary_brown@ge.com "lwm11" wrote: > Is there any way that when you export so much data that once it fills up all > the 65K plus sections on sheet one, it will automatically flow to she...

data base for repeat purchase
how can I set up a data base for repeat once a year floral orders? Thats a pretty general question. Do you have any other data bases, if so, adding a column to capture the data might be eaiser then creating a seperate one. I guess the simpleist is the easiest, client name, and maybe the time of year they order. -- Life is an adventure, are you living it? These are just my opinions, please feel free to correct them if they are wrong. "Rainbowsend" wrote: > how can I set up a data base for repeat once a year floral orders? ...

How does excel note a newline (ie new line but in same cell)
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Hi <br> Have legal transcription i need to manipulate partly in excel on mac. want each cell to be one question or answer in deposition, but can't allow excel to wrap the text of the question or answer, which is typically several lines, as in depositions each line is numbered and i want to preserve the numbers matching the lines. so i would like to manually add the character/formatting in my text editor before i bring the text back into excel. <br><br>or perhaps i can write an excel macro or f...

add a DC in a LegSite

Data Validation List Names
I have Excel 2007 and am attempting to use the data validation tool. I have created several lists in a separate worksheet and named them (In the name box). My drop down and options have shown correctly. However, I now need to make a few changes to the lists. I added a few extra cells with data to one of the lists and would like these options included in the drop down field on the main spreadsheet. Can someone tell me how to re-name my 'source' (list or range of cells) so that the added cells are now being referenced as well and all options show in the drop down? ...

SBS 2003 and Outlook 2003 requesting data, freeze
I have two separate clients that are running the new SBS 2003 with XP workstations running Outlook 2003. Both randomly receive the messages: Outlook is requesting data from the server Outlook is trying to retrieve data from the Microsoft Exchange Server Client 1 Running 2 servers that each has a Dual GHz Xeon w/hyperthreading on with 4 gigs of ram. One server is running the SBS 2k3 and the other server is running a Win 2k3 as a terminal server. They are connected on a 1Gig backplane. 10 users total. Client 2 Running 2 servers. One server has a 2.GHz P4 w/hyperthreading on running SBS ...