How chart time scale x-axis with another date serie

Hello all. I have this problem, I will need to create this chart that I don't
know how to.

Serie 1 is below which needs to be time scaled
Date                Count
1/1/2006             12
1/2/2006             3
1/3/2006             5
2/1/2006             18
2/3/2006             4
2/18/2006           9
4/1/2006             18
7/4/2006             38

Serie 2 - needs to plot the three dates in serie 1's time scaled X-Axis with
symbols.

1/31/2006
2/18/2006
4/2/2006

I will look something like you have a line of count on a time-scaled chart,
with 3 dates point in the x-axis.  Please give me some advice on how to do
it. Thank you all.

0
luvgreen (16)

Make the chart with the first series as a line chart with a time scale axis.

Add the data for the second series. Convert this series to an XY series
(select the series, Chart menu > Chart Type). Put the XY series onto the
primary axis (double click, Axis tab).

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"luvgreen" <luvgreen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello all. I have this problem, I will need to create this chart that I
> don't
> know how to.
>
> Serie 1 is below which needs to be time scaled
> Date                Count
> 1/1/2006             12
> 1/2/2006             3
> 1/3/2006             5
> 2/1/2006             18
> 2/3/2006             4
> 2/18/2006           9
> 4/1/2006             18
> 7/4/2006             38
>
> Serie 2 - needs to plot the three dates in serie 1's time scaled X-Axis
> with
> symbols.
>
> 1/31/2006
> 2/18/2006
> 4/2/2006
>
> I will look something like you have a line of count on a time-scaled
> chart,
> with 3 dates point in the x-axis.  Please give me some advice on how to do
> it. Thank you all.

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
11/10/2006 9:02:41 PM
Jon:

Thank you s much for your reply. You answered my last time's similar
question too. :)

Is it possible to generate this kind of chart from VBA code? Thanks again.

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> Make the chart with the first series as a line chart with a time scale axis.
>
> Add the data for the second series. Convert this series to an XY series
> (select the series, Chart menu > Chart Type). Put the XY series onto the
> primary axis (double click, Axis tab).
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com
> _______
>

> "luvgreen" <luvgreen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello all. I have this problem, I will need to create this chart that I
> > don't
> > know how to.
> >
> > Serie 1 is below which needs to be time scaled
> > Date                Count
> > 1/1/2006             12
> > 1/2/2006             3
> > 1/3/2006             5
> > 2/1/2006             18
> > 2/3/2006             4
> > 2/18/2006           9
> > 4/1/2006             18
> > 7/4/2006             38
> >
> > Serie 2 - needs to plot the three dates in serie 1's time scaled X-Axis
> > with
> > symbols.
> >
> > 1/31/2006
> > 2/18/2006
> > 4/2/2006
> >
> > I will look something like you have a line of count on a time-scaled
> > chart,
> > with 3 dates point in the x-axis.  Please give me some advice on how to do
> > it. Thank you all.

0
luvgreen (16)
11/10/2006 9:15:01 PM
If you can do it manually, you can do it in VBA.

I have a bunch of examples and hints on programming Excel charts:

    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/QuickChartVBA.html

Use the macro recorder (one of my two favorite programming tools, Google's
the other) to get some rough code, and use the page above to refine it.
Basically, record a macro while making a line chart and then changing one
series to an XY style.

The macro first looks something like this:

Sub Macro1()
' Macro recorded 11/10/2006 by Jon Peltier
    Range("B6:C13").Select
    Charts.Add
    ActiveChart.ChartType = xlLineMarkers
    ActiveChart.SetSourceData Source:=Sheets("Sheet1").Range("B6:C13")
    ActiveChart.Location Where:=xlLocationAsObject, Name:="Sheet1"
    ActiveWindow.Visible = False
    Windows("Book3").Activate
    Range("E6:F11").Select
    Selection.Copy
    ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("Chart 1").Activate
    ActiveChart.ChartArea.Select
    ActiveChart.SeriesCollection.Paste Rowcol:=xlColumns,
SeriesLabels:=True, _
        CategoryLabels:=True, Replace:=False, NewSeries:=True
    ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(2).Select
    Application.CutCopyMode = False
    ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(2).ChartType = xlXYScatterLines
    ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(2).Select
    ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(2).AxisGroup = 1
End Sub

Fix it up a little:

Sub Macro1()
' Macro fixed up 11/10/2006 by Jon Peltier
    Dim cht As Chart
    Dim wks As Worksheet
    Dim srs As Series

    Set wks = ActiveSheet
    Set cht = wks.ChartObjects.Add(250, 150, 450, 250).Chart
    With cht
        .SetSourceData Source:=wks.Range("B6:C13")
        .ChartType = xlLineMarkers
        Set srs = .SeriesCollection.NewSeries
        With srs
            .Values = wks.Range("F7:F11")
            .XValues = wks.Range("E7:E11")
            .Name = wks.Range("F6")
            .ChartType = xlXYScatterLines
            .AxisGroup = 1
        End With
    End With
End Sub

- Jon
-------

> Jon:
>
> Thank you s much for your reply. You answered my last time's similar
> question too. :)
>
> Is it possible to generate this kind of chart from VBA code? Thanks again.
>
> "Jon Peltier" wrote:
>
>> Make the chart with the first series as a line chart with a time scale
>> axis.
>>
>> Add the data for the second series. Convert this series to an XY series
>> (select the series, Chart menu > Chart Type). Put the XY series onto the
>> primary axis (double click, Axis tab).
>>
>> - Jon
>> -------
>> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
>> http://PeltierTech.com
>> _______
>>

>> "luvgreen" <luvgreen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello all. I have this problem, I will need to create this chart that I
>> > don't
>> > know how to.
>> >
>> > Serie 1 is below which needs to be time scaled
>> > Date                Count
>> > 1/1/2006             12
>> > 1/2/2006             3
>> > 1/3/2006             5
>> > 2/1/2006             18
>> > 2/3/2006             4
>> > 2/18/2006           9
>> > 4/1/2006             18
>> > 7/4/2006             38
>> >
>> > Serie 2 - needs to plot the three dates in serie 1's time scaled X-Axis
>> > with
>> > symbols.
>> >
>> > 1/31/2006
>> > 2/18/2006
>> > 4/2/2006
>> >
>> > I will look something like you have a line of count on a time-scaled
>> > chart,
>> > with 3 dates point in the x-axis.  Please give me some advice on how to
>> > do
>> > it. Thank you all.

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
11/11/2006 2:44:21 AM
Thank you so very much Jon. I do appreciate your kindness to help.

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> [...]
>     End With
> End Sub
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com
> _______
>

> "luvgreen" <luvgreen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Jon:
> >
> > Thank you s much for your reply. You answered my last time's similar
> > question too. :)
> >
> > Is it possible to generate this kind of chart from VBA code? Thanks again.
> >
> > "Jon Peltier" wrote:
> >
> >> Make the chart with the first series as a line chart with a time scale
> >> axis.
> >>
> >> Add the data for the second series. Convert this series to an XY series
> >> (select the series, Chart menu > Chart Type). Put the XY series onto the

0
luvgreen (16)

Legend on Chart

Demographic chart?

Excel 2007 Line Chart with Markers

weeky time "bucket"
Looking for some advice on a sql report. I need to summarize data in weekly time "buckets". The week is defined as Sun thru Sat. The report rundate and anthing prior should be week 0, with the future weeks numbered 1, 2, 3, etc. At some point there may be a requirement to group all dates after a future date into one bucket (ie. "9+ weeks"). Any suggestions on how to accomplish numbering the weeks? Thanks in advance. Hello, > Any suggestions on how to accomplish > numbering the weeks? Are you looking for http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libra...

Charting/ Graph question

Chart in Chart

What in Office 2004 is worth the upgrade price from Office v.X?
Don't get me wrong... I like my Office v.X and I certainly appreciate the fact that MS has the MacBU and is supporting MS Office products on OS X. BUT, I have read the list of new features for Office 2004 and I don't see anything compelling... The sort of thing that might have attracted my interest would be VBA compatibility with the WindowsXP versions of the Office suite... And the same sort of XML support as is offered on the XP side. But my understanding is that neither is part of the upgrade. I presume a bunch of folks out there *are* upgrading... What are the features you think...

How do I create a chart....

Date Problem #2
When I type 31/11/03 in a cell it will not follow the same format as the rest of the dates I have typed in. Can anyone please tell me why? I am using Excel from Office 2000 on XP Home Operating System. If that is referring to the 31st of November, unless there is a new leap year for November, Excel would be confused. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Gary Pickett" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A29ECE7C-4333-4D8D-818F-EF29CD835845@microsoft.com... > When I type 31/11/03 in a cell it will not follow the same format as the rest ...

Chart items moving around

Filter in between dates
Hi Everyone, Using Excel 2003. I have a list of patients who were on a particular therapy and in a certain unit. Many where on the therapy in other units before getting transferred or on the therapy after they left. I need to find the patients who started on a therapy after they arrived in a unit and who were off the therapy before they left the unit. My Date units show me Date and Time in the same field. They are named.. PtLocStDtTm PtLocEndDtTm PtThpyStDtTm PtThpyEndDtTm Thanks, Linda If desired, send your file to my address below. I will only look if: 1. You se...

How To Chart A Formula in Excel 2007

create chart from external application
Hi, I would like to know if this is possible.... I have an application that contains an hierarchical chart. I would like to export this data into a format that Visio can *understand*, and then import it into Visio and have it display in a hierarchical manner. Does any body know if this is possible to do. .....or, if there is another way of getting my data into Visio, can you please let me know. Thanks. Here is an article that describes how to automate the org chart wizard, and how to format your data: http://office.microsoft.com/assistance/2002/articles/spotlight5_July00.aspx Hope ...

print a chart over multiple pages
I am trying to stretch a chart over multiple pages, but i just can't get it to work. I have tried all i can think including attempting to print areas individually. Any ideas? i'm using excel 2003. Thanks Hi, If the chart is on a chart page, this will not work. If the chart is embedded on a sheet, and you select the chart, it will not work. What you need to do is embed the chart and then select the range "behind - under" the chart, then you can use all of the print options, thereby printing one chart across multiple pages. Cheers, Shane "OEB1527" <O...

Embed Chart
Is it possible to link a chart into my current worksheet like an embedded chart (or something)? Thanx. Brian - I'm not sure what you're asking. If you copy a chart from one workbook (or worksheet) and paste it into another, it will retain its links to the original source of its data. You can change its source data (to its new parent worksheet) using Source Data from the Chart menu. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/index.html _______ briank wrote: > Is it possible to link a chart into my current worksheet > like an...

time functions
Hello, I am relatively new to Excel and I am trying to do a timesheet tha keeps track of hours I have worked. The problem is that the spreadshee includes times but also total hours. The two aren't really compatibl when doing calculations. Our normal working hours per month are 14 hours. I put in what time I start and what time I finish and i calculates how many hours I have worked (but it is still in tim format-- e.g. 9-17:00 ends up being 8 hours on my time sheet but i shows up as 8:00). When I do an autosum of all the total times I hav worked during the month, the figure is wrong due...

Names on a Bubble Chart
Hi There, I am wondering on how I can put the "names" on my bubbles...? I've the following data where I would like to make a bubble chart with ... The bubble chart in itself works fine, I just do not manage to get the corresponding name (Product1, 2,...) on each bubble: NS AGP Growth Product1 9,052,494 22 (31) Product2 1,574,341 32 (25) Product3 1,759,511 3 (45) Product4 1,539,132 13 (69) Any thoughts? Jen ...

A Chart in a Chart ?
Is it possible to create a chart within another chart? If not - Is it possible to view a chart within another chart? Jim -- jamesasmithsr ------------------------------------------------------------------------ jamesasmithsr's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24101 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=377093 you can save a chart inside a second chart. Make the first chart and have it on its own sheet make the second chart and set its location as an object in the first chart sheet "jamesasmithsr" wrot...

Office apps won't open, report Office in use by another use
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Intel A few days ago, our Office applications started showing the report that "An Office program is being used by "user." your installation exceeds the number of installations permitted by thelicense agreement. Click More Information to learn about Microsoft Office licensing." But OFFICE ISN'T BEING USED BY ANYONE. All computers have been restarted to no avail. HELP! <sakas@officeformac.com> wrote: > A few days ago, our Office applications started showing the report that > "An Office p...

Excel Chart Source Data
Is it possible to update Excel Chart Source Data for Multiple Chart where the ranges are exactly the same? We have a large workbook containing 25 worksheets with charts that ar linked to another Master Workbook. The charts display data for a rolling 12 month timescale and so th source data needs to be manually updated each month to reflect th current rolling 12 month timescale e.g May 2003 to April 2004 cell range A1:Z1 would need to be updated t reflect June 2003 to May 2004 to B1:AA1 There are 100 charts so manually updating the Source Data is tim consuming-as the cell references are the ...