How can I create a chart to compare multiple data series?

Using Excel, is there a way to merge multiple charts with different data
series into one to demonstrate a direct comparison of the data series within
one single chart.  I've got 4 charts of the stacked column type.

magnoliak77

Tufte calls them small multiples, Cleveland calls them trellis displays. I
call them panel charts.

Take a look at the examples on this page.
http://processtrends.com/toc_panel_charts.htm

Another option is to stick with your 4 charts, however, you can size and
align them. Here's a link to a simple macro that sizes and aligns all charts
on a single sheet.
http://processtrends.com/pg_chart_vba.htm#Size_Align_Charts

A third option is to place each chart in a cell and use column and row
sizing to adjust all charts. This lets you line them up and adjust sizes as
you need.
Here's a link for this approach:
http://processtrends.com/pg_charts_chart_in_cell.htm

One of these choices should work for you.

...Kelly

koday@processtrends.com

"magnoliak77" <magnoliak77@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Using Excel, is there a way to merge multiple charts with different data
> series into one to demonstrate a direct comparison of the data series
> within
> one single chart.  I've got 4 charts of the stacked column type.

0
dkod (205)
6/30/2006 5:41:36 PM
As Kelly points out, other chart types would provide for better comparisons.
A stacked column chart would not allow ready comparison, because the
additional data would be stacked on top of the existing data, and they all
would become too compressed for a reasonable comparison.

If you have a more suitable chart type, it's possible to copy data from one
chart to another. Select the first chart's chart area, copy it, select the
second chart, choose Paste Special from the Edit menu, and choose the
Formulas  option.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"magnoliak77" <magnoliak77@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Using Excel, is there a way to merge multiple charts with different data
> series into one to demonstrate a direct comparison of the data series
> within
> one single chart.  I've got 4 charts of the stacked column type.

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)

Can't see 401(k) contribiltion total

Can't send/receive

Manually creating a replica
I have followed the article on TechNet on How to Manually Create a Replica but I'm not sure if I did it wrong or if what I'm experiencing is normal. At one of my sites, I have about 500MB of data that I would like to protect. I have followed the steps to manually create the replica but when I start the consistency check, the consistency check transfered all 500MB of data that I already imported! Did I do something wrong? I thought the purpose of manually importing the data is so that the initial replica doesn't go over the WAN. Thanks, Mike Ok. I figured out wh...

need to chart sum of 2 rows in worksheet
I have a worksheet in which I have 12 columns to represent the months and my expense categories in the rows below. The last row is a Total row of all the expenses above it. One of the values I want to represent in a 12-month line graph is the Total row less the Misc Expense row. How can I graph this without creating a new row in my worksheet to hold just this calculated value? I'm very comfortable with writing macros if that's what it will take to accomplish this. Thanks, Barry ...

Can not Customize Leads View

Bulk attachments

Multiple emails w/ same tracking token in one activity?
Is it possible to track an ongoing email conversation as a single activity (assuming tracking token is present and accurate), instead of having each outgoing and incoming email result in a separate activity? One troubleshooting conversation with a contact can end up creating 12 activities in their history. If anyone knows the answer and/or can tell me how to do so, please let me know. Thanks! Afraid not. Each of those seperate emails is a seperate "activity" and thus is tracked seperately. -- Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM "SCAB" <SCAB@discussions.microso...

Can't delete email #2

Can Not Reply To Emails

Summary of multiple workbooks in a directory
Hi again, I have a bundle of workbooks, each one has a summary page. These will all be saved in the same directory eventually. I would like to have a worksheet that presented me all teh summary pages (ordered alphabetically by one of he fields). Excel can trwal a directory for all .xls and extract an area from a worksheet then order on a cell? I am not sure where to start on this and a web search was not much help so far. TIA W Hi as a starting point: http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy3.htm >-----Original Message----- >Hi again, I have a bundle of workbooks, each one has a summar...

Multiple logins
Here is the scenario: My Fiancee & I share some of the same accounts. When she logs into the bank, she can see our joint accounts plus her personal accounts. The same for me. The issue is when I set Money up to pull from the bank, I get two of the same account. If I try to delete one of the duplicates, it tells me it has to delete all accounts from that login (including the history). I do not want to do this, but what can I do to save my sanity? Thanks! ...

How can I rename a database table?

Chart line is discontinuous
Hello, A similar problem to my last. I have entered data from reading sheets and not every date/time has a data point. I have noticed that if there is no date/time the chart does not draw the line between data points. Please help me out with this. You can set your chart options (Tools, Options, Chart tab) to treat empty cells as not plotted (leave gaps) zero or interpolated. -- Steve "Lady Excel" <LadyExcel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1F7136D3-3B22-49B9-AFC7-E6BB1FE47E32@microsoft.com... > Hello, > > A similar problem to my last. I have e...

Can (or how can) I do this

Creating Email Templates
Hello, In looking at the various resources, everyone seems to like the email template functionality .. although I do question one thing. Is it possible to create an email template for use in a workflow THAT IS NOT sent to the customer/account? From what I can tell, if you create an Opportunity/Account/Contact email template, all these automatically send the end account/customer the email. What I would like is when a new Opportunity is created to be sent to some Internal users only ... ie. the user's Manager to confirm the presence of a new Opportunity. This from the looks of th...

Can not archive

Creating Drop Down boxes with the List function...
I am creating drop down boxes using the list function and I need to add color to the text. It will allow me to add color to the list, but the color I added doesn't appear in the drop down box. What do I need to do to make this happen? Thank you for your help. This should help, it sure did for me. http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal10.html This should help you, I worked very well for me. http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal10.html This should help you, I worked very well for me. http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal10.html ...