highlighting different sections of a line chart

I have a line graph that runs over time.  i would like to highlight certain
areas of continuous time with shading of different colour.  Is this or
something similar possible?
0
OliverS (6)

Oliver -

Something like this?

    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ColoredVerticalBand.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"Oliver S" <OliverS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a line graph that runs over time.  i would like to highlight certain
> areas of continuous time with shading of different colour.  Is this or
> something similar possible?

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)

Conditional formating in Charts
Does Excel allow you to use conditional formatting in charts? I have a bar chart that I am locking the y-axis at specific values. I would like to change the color of any bars that are graphing outside the locked y-axis. Thanks Jon Peltier has instructions for conditional charts: http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/format.html#CondChart B wrote: > Does Excel allow you to use conditional formatting in charts? > I have a bar chart that I am locking the y-axis at specific values. I would > like to change the color of any bars that are graphing outside the locked > y-a...

RPC/HTTP
Greetings, TIA for any input. I've got some remote staff that currently use RPC/HTTP (we configure the box on the local LAN and then ship it offsite). They're currently in WORKGROUP mode, but I'm going to be creating an AD 2003 Domain for them (NOTE: Their offsite LAN is not connected in any way to our corporate LAN except via the Internet and RPC/HTTP...no VPN either). Will these clients still be able to authenticate/login to their mailbox via RPC/HTTP if the machine account is a member of a different domain? When Outlook launches, they can specify the domain at login (e.g. do...

problem with differences in data and real item number
Hi Did anyone experienced followind problem: History of transfers does not match while comparing to number of items, For instance: We had in database (quantity) 3 items. 3 items were sold (this data is in database - if I remember correctly tabel inventory trasfer log). However in table Item (quantity) there is still 1 item (and should be 0). Have you met simillar problem? Perhaps hot fix could resolve that if it is combined with software. Thank you for help in advance Use the Item - Movement report to find the model history. Remove the date filter, and add model number or ILCode. The rep...

insert text to different pages and update
Is there a way to insert a text cell from one page put into another page and when the first page cell is updated the second page cell will also be updated. Using the = sign just displays the formula, not the text. :confused: Thanks Frank -- fwburkey ------------------------------------------------------------------------ fwburkey's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30314 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=505331 Not clear what you are doing wrong. the formula should look lik =Sheet1!A1 Make sure there is noth...

how can i add a secondary y-axis to a bar chart (not a line chart)
I can't seem to get two data series to plot on two different y-axis when using vertical bar chart format. If I get the Y-axis to display I only get one series of data displayed, although the scales of the y-axis are correct for each data series. The second data series seems to be under the first when displayed this way, but playing with the option tab settings under format doesn't bring them out on their own! Edbianc, Try clicking once on one of the bar series. Then, right-click on your mouse. In the menu go to Selected Object. In the Format Data Series dialog box, go to th...

Critical sections and OS tick resolution
I would like to send some serial data every 33ms. I'm using the following code in my transmit thread: // Point A dwWaitResult = WaitForSingleObject(pParent->m_hStopEvent, 33); // Point B switch (dwWaitResult) { case WAIT_TIMEOUT: EnterCriticalSection(&m_csReadWrite); // Point C // Transmit the data here Using QueryPerformanceCounter(), etc. I can confirm that 33ms is the time between points A and B but between A and C it's 40ms even though I know that my GUI thread is doing anything so there should be no delay in acquiring the critica...

calculate difference means when groups have different (n)
I need to run a test for a diference between means when the groups have different numbers (n). Please post to newsgroups or remove the pound sign in return address. Fri, 20 Apr 2007 15:05:33 -0700 from Oscar <L3214@hotmail.com>: > I need to run a test for a diference between means when the groups have > different numbers (n). Please post to newsgroups or remove the pound sign > in return address. Enable the Analysis Toolpak and Analysis Toolpak -VBA in Tools | Add- ins. (If they're not listed there, you'll run the Office installer to make them available.) T...

How to keep different types of reports as favorites
I'd like to keep sligthly different, customized versions of some reports as Favorite Reports. For instance, have one Favorite Report showing all 'Monthly Income and Expense' items and another Favorite Report excluding some categories. So what I do is I first customize the first version of the report the way I want it, and press 'Add to my favorite reports', naming it 'Report 1'. I then customize the second version of the report, and add it as a favorite as 'Report 2'. Here is the problem: when I now go to Favorite Reports and select 'Report 1'...

Pie Chart Not Charting Properly
I have the following data that I want to chart in a pie chart. The following are mutiple choice answers to questions on a survey. The left column are dollar amounts and the cells are formatted (currency) The right column are the number of people who chose that answer. $125 6 $150 3 $250 49 $275 5 $300 2 $500 59 When I chart these in a pie chart, I get the following pieces to the pie. 1 8% 2 9% 3 16% 4 17% 5 19% 6 31% It just numbers the pieces and gives me the wrong percentages. Does anyone know what could be happening? Can I use a pie chart for currency or shoul...

Empty Subject Line notification
Is there a way to have a notification for a User if they forget to put in a "Subject Line" before the email goes out in Outlook 2003? Michael "zzMHUME" <Michael.Hume@assembly.ab.ca> wrote in message news:%23anGoEadJHA.3708@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > Is there a way to have a notification for a User if they forget to put in > a "Subject Line" before the email goes out in Outlook 2003? > > Michael > > > Google is your friend. Searching on "empty subject line alert Outlook" gives this as the third hit out of 48,000: htt...

Compare and Highlight Rows
I have an excel file with two worksheets. is there a way to programatically compare the two worksheets to find matches and highlight those matches on each worksheet. They both have the same columns. I want to compare the InspectionID column. The Inspection ID column may have duplicates in both of the worksheets. I have never done anything in excel above the beginner level. However, I am a very skilled VBA programmer (programmed in ACCESS for over 10 years). Thank you You may find it easier to use Conditional formatting instead: For instance, with Sheet1 column A selected, and cel...

Automatically updating charts
I use spreadsheets to track monitoring data over time for sampling sites. The left part of the sheet is used for the parameter name + min, max, and avg. I have a dummy column (filled w/ asterisks) to separate the calcs from the data. My formulas include the ast column in order to anchor the range as I insert columns of new data. I am trying to graph the data and am wondering if I can use the ast column as an anchor. It shows up as a zero value. Is there any way to make the chart ignore that point? ...

CToolBarCtrl
Hi all. I need to add buttons to a toolbar which is created in my main frame. Most of the toolbar buttons don't change, but at runtime, I want to insert a set of buttons from a separate toolbar. The problem is, nothing actually gets inserted into the toolbar. I think it's because I'm inserting buttons based on another toolbar. If I insert buttons from IDR_MAINFRAME, buttons get added. I may be missing something obvious. Here's a piece of simplified code: ----- CToolBarCtrl& toolbar = m_wndToolBar.GetToolBarCtrl(); toolbar.AddBitmap(number_of_new_buttons, ID...

no builtin chart options for me..(Excel 2000)!!
hi members, I have got a problem with my chart functions.When i click the chart tab from the menu bar, the window opens with different chart options.In that we have got two tabs...standard and custom.For me, in custom type...i dont have any built in charts.To get built in charts what is to be done..from where can i get that. My requirement is *combination chart*.ie.Bar and line combination. Please advice... Thanks Roshin -- roshinpp_77 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ roshinpp_77's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&...

how to control the gray line on the border?
I copied and pasted data from web and the gray lines disappears at the cells I pasted on. The gray lines like the borders but can't be controlled by applying the styles in "Borders". How can I make them reappear? Also, how can I apply borders setting on multiple cells. If I highlight multiple cells and apply a bottom line, all it does is apply it at teh last row instead of all the rows highlighted. Thanks for the help, liu On Aug 15, 1:48=A0pm, cpliu <spamfree...@yahoo.com> wrote: > I copied and pasted data from web and the gray lines disappears at the > cells I p...

Creating chart from vb.net
Hello, i want to add a chart to a Excel-Sheet with vb.net. (VS 2005). This is possible, but on setting the HasTitle property i get an exception: "Exception from HRESULT: 0x800A03EC". If anybody could help me I would be very thankfull. I have installed Microsoft Excel 2003 (11.8105.8107) SP2. I added a reference to the "Microsoft Excel 11.0 Object Library", Version 1.5 from the COM tab. This creates following references to my project: -Excel, Name: Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel, Version: 1.5.0.0 (Description: Microsoft Excel 11.0 Object Library) - Microsoft.Office.C...

Evaluation same, result different?
I selected A22:A27 then input the following: {=CHAR(97+ROW(A22:A27)-ROW(A22))} CSE Though I get a,b,c ... e,f in cells A22:A27, but if I evaluate going into each of the cells in this range, the evaluator returns CHAR(97) always, but then how come the resultant character changes? Any ideas? Thu, 17 May 2007 23:53:11 +0530 from dindigul <padhye.m@gmail.com>: > I selected A22:A27 then input the following: > {=CHAR(97+ROW(A22:A27)-ROW(A22))} CSE > Though I get a,b,c ... e,f in cells A22:A27, but if I evaluate going into > each of the cells in this range, the evaluato...

Difference in Times
This is my first post so hello everyone and thankyou in advance for any assistance you can provide. The diffuclty I am having is as follows: I have a spreadsheet containing two times 8:45 and 9:45 I need to find the difference in the two times as a decimal but also as a fraction of an hour.. for these times the answer I need is 0.25 not 0.15. i.e. a quarter of an hour Can anyone help? -- bcbjork ------------------------------------------------------------------------ bcbjork's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26665 View this thread: http://...

"too many different cell formats"
When trying to open a file, the above erroe message is displayed and the file will not open. Is it at all possible to open the file or is it "lost forever"? Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks Hi Cindy, You can search Google Groups on your error message http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?q=group:*Excel*&num=100 Search all words: "Too Many Different Cell Formats" author: Leo Heuser Since the answers you are looking for have been posted by Leo Heuser I included his name as author for your search as well as shown above to see if the...

highlight
Hi - just switched to Outlook 2003 from OE. I can't work out how to set up a rule where the message is a different color for a certain sender as I did in O! - can anyone tell me? TIA You can set flags on messages from certain senders. You can set the color of the font used in the list view using Conditional Formatting: View menu > Arrange by > Current View > Customize Current View > Automatic Formatting "Daskarzine" <Daskarzine@doesnotexist.com> wrote in message news:3fab5eb8@duster.adelaide.on.net... > Hi - just switched to Outlook 2003 from OE. I can&...

highlighting #2
I was told that although that there is no official highlight button for publisher like there is for word but there are ways to get around it. I am using the 2003 version of publisher. does anyone know the trick. Make a small box and fill it with whatever color you want. Place it behind your text and then group it with your text. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "justin" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:17aa701c4496a$65af12f0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I was told that although that there is no official > highlight button for publish...

The Incredible Shrinking Chart
BACKGROUND: We are in the unfortunate situation of having some employees still on Excel 2003/some upgraded to 2007. This will continue for at least another 2-3 months. (Thousands of employees involved, so the upgrade just has to take as long as it takes.) PROBLEM: Have a workbook with macros and a chart imbedded on worksheet #1, saved as .xls for (we thought) useability by everybody. When a 2007 person opens this file and saves it, he gets a warning about losing some fidelity, but the text of the warning says nothing about charts or zoom level. However, the next time tha...

Referencing a Sheet Number in a Chart
Does anyone know how to reference data by a Sheet Number rather than the Sheet Name? We have a Workbook that is updated every week. The Sheet Name changes every week (it is named by Week Ending date), but it is always Sheet5 - the 5th tab postition, the 5th Worksheet. In a Chart, I define the series data range as: ='WE_01.27.04'!$B$3:$B$9,'WE_01.27.04'!$F$3:$G$9 The worksheet the chart is on is in the same workbook as the data. The data is on Sheet5, the chart is on Sheet8. I found these references and tried variations, but couldn't get it to work: ='http://www....

Comman Line Directory Export
I am uinfamiliar on how to export the directory in Exchange 2003 via command line into a csv file. I know how in 5.5. Does anyone know the command line syntax? Corey Hello, In Exchange 2000/2003, the information lies in AD and you use LDIFDE. Please see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;237677 Regards -- Nagendra Sitharamaiah MCSE, CCNA, MCT, CISSP Microsoft Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please d...

Different Ways To Reference Ranges
I need a very short way to refer to single cell ranges in a worksheet. I have a calculator that I use in VBA and it references cells in many worksheets. So I want to keep the code as clean as possible. For example, 'this is what I currently do Sheets("Labor").Range("B4").Value * Sheets("Labor").Range("C6").Value Is there a shorter way to write this? I think I have seen people use [B4] * [C6] or something like that, but how can I include the worksheet? Thanks in Advance! -- Cheers, Ryan Try this Dim ws As Worksheet Set ws ...