Hiding Pie Slice When Value is Zero

My data labels contain the Value and Percentage.  I can hide the Value of a
slice (when its value=0) when I set its format to ;000.  But I can't figure
out how to not display the slice since the data label Percentage still shows
up as 0%.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Bob
0
Bob4289 (354)

Why not just filter the data (showing only >0) and use the entire
(unfiltered) range as source data.
The chart will not show hidden values -  only the filtered values.
Sandy

"Bob" <Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My data labels contain the Value and Percentage.  I can hide the Value of
> slice (when its value=0) when I set its format to ;000.  But I can't
> figure
> out how to not display the slice since the data label Percentage still
> shows
> up as 0%.
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Bob

Sandy,
Thanks for the suggestion.  Unfortunately, since I have selected the
Percentage checkbox for Data Labels (which I need to show), Excel still shows
"0%" when the pie slice's value is zero.

What I'm trying to figure out is how to not have the "0%" be displayed and
the corresponding pie slice not displayed when the pie slice's value is zero.

Bob

"Sandy" wrote:

> Why not just filter the data (showing only >0) and use the entire
> (unfiltered) range as source data.
> The chart will not show hidden values -  only the filtered values.
> Sandy
>
> "Bob" <Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My data labels contain the Value and Percentage.  I can hide the Value of
> > slice (when its value=0) when I set its format to ;000.  But I can't
> > figure
> > out how to not display the slice since the data label Percentage still
> > shows
> > up as 0%.
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> > Thanks,
> > Bob

0
Bob4289 (354)
4/18/2008 2:09:05 PM
Bob
I have tried setting up a Pie Chart in the way you are describing with the
"Percentage" checkbox selected in Data Labels and it works fine for me
(unless I am at total cross purposes).
Have a look here
http://www.webstruct.co.uk/webstruct/piechart/PieChart.xls
I have uploaded the simple chart I tested.

> Sandy,
> Thanks for the suggestion.  Unfortunately, since I have selected the
> Percentage checkbox for Data Labels (which I need to show), Excel still
> shows
> "0%" when the pie slice's value is zero.
>
> What I'm trying to figure out is how to not have the "0%" be displayed and
> the corresponding pie slice not displayed when the pie slice's value is
> zero.
>
> Bob
>

> "Sandy" wrote:
>
>> Why not just filter the data (showing only >0) and use the entire
>> (unfiltered) range as source data.
>> The chart will not show hidden values -  only the filtered values.
>> Sandy
>>
>> "Bob" <Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > My data labels contain the Value and Percentage.  I can hide the Value
>> > of
>> > slice (when its value=0) when I set its format to ;000.  But I can't
>> > figure
>> > out how to not display the slice since the data label Percentage still
>> > shows
>> > up as 0%.
>> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>> > Thanks,
>> > Bob

Sandy,
Thanks.  I see what you did.  However, I was hoping to accomplish the same
thing automatically without any manual intervention (or macros).
Bob

"Sandy" wrote:

> Bob
> I have tried setting up a Pie Chart in the way you are describing with the
> "Percentage" checkbox selected in Data Labels and it works fine for me
> (unless I am at total cross purposes).
> Have a look here
> http://www.webstruct.co.uk/webstruct/piechart/PieChart.xls
> I have uploaded the simple chart I tested.
>
> Sandy
>
> "Bob" <Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Sandy,
> > Thanks for the suggestion.  Unfortunately, since I have selected the
> > Percentage checkbox for Data Labels (which I need to show), Excel still
> > shows
> > "0%" when the pie slice's value is zero.
> >
> > What I'm trying to figure out is how to not have the "0%" be displayed and
> > the corresponding pie slice not displayed when the pie slice's value is
> > zero.
> >
> > Bob
> >

> > "Sandy" wrote:
> >
> >> Why not just filter the data (showing only >0) and use the entire
> >> (unfiltered) range as source data.
> >> The chart will not show hidden values -  only the filtered values.
> >> Sandy
> >>
> >> "Bob" <Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
Bob4289 (354)
4/18/2008 9:47:00 PM
Have you tried setting the format to Custom, with '0%;;;' (three semicolons
following the formatting)? This is for the data labels only and will hide the
0% values you are referring to.

I am having a similar issue that I cannot solve. I am trying to keep data
labels that have blank values from showing up in the chart. I also would like
to do this automatically as the data I am using can change frequently. I have
two columns but not every row with a name in column A has a value in column
B. The cells are blank, and those that fall into this category still show up
in the pie chart as name-only. Because I have my formatting set as described
above there are no 0% values showing up, but I cannot figure out how to get a
non-value label to not show up without deleting it manually. Does anyone know
of a way this can be done?

"Bob" wrote:

> Sandy,
> Thanks.  I see what you did.  However, I was hoping to accomplish the same
> thing automatically without any manual intervention (or macros).
> Bob
>

> "Sandy" wrote:
>
> > Bob
> > I have tried setting up a Pie Chart in the way you are describing with the
> > "Percentage" checkbox selected in Data Labels and it works fine for me
> > (unless I am at total cross purposes).
> > Have a look here
> > http://www.webstruct.co.uk/webstruct/piechart/PieChart.xls
> > I have uploaded the simple chart I tested.
> >
> > Sandy
> >
> > "Bob" <Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Sandy,
> > > Thanks for the suggestion.  Unfortunately, since I have selected the
> > > Percentage checkbox for Data Labels (which I need to show), Excel still
> > > shows
> > > "0%" when the pie slice's value is zero.
> > >
> > > What I'm trying to figure out is how to not have the "0%" be displayed and
> > > the corresponding pie slice not displayed when the pie slice's value is
> > > zero.
> > >
> > > Bob

0
TJ (63)
7/1/2008 7:06:00 PM
TJ,

Yes, I set the Custom format to '0%;;;' and that seemed to do the trick.  As
far as blanking out the data label when the corresponding value is 0%, I
wrote a simple formula in the cell containing the data label:

Assume cell A1 = data label = "Widgets Sold"
Assume cell B1 = data value = 0%

In cell A1, input  =IF(B1=0,"","Widgets Sold")

Bob

"TJ" wrote:

> Have you tried setting the format to Custom, with '0%;;;' (three semicolons
> following the formatting)? This is for the data labels only and will hide the
> 0% values you are referring to.
>
> I am having a similar issue that I cannot solve. I am trying to keep data
> labels that have blank values from showing up in the chart. I also would like
> to do this automatically as the data I am using can change frequently. I have
> two columns but not every row with a name in column A has a value in column
> B. The cells are blank, and those that fall into this category still show up
> in the pie chart as name-only. Because I have my formatting set as described
> above there are no 0% values showing up, but I cannot figure out how to get a
> non-value label to not show up without deleting it manually. Does anyone know
> of a way this can be done?
>
> "Bob" wrote:
>
> > Sandy,
> > Thanks.  I see what you did.  However, I was hoping to accomplish the same
> > thing automatically without any manual intervention (or macros).
> > Bob
> >

> > "Sandy" wrote:
> >
> > > Bob
> > > I have tried setting up a Pie Chart in the way you are describing with the
> > > "Percentage" checkbox selected in Data Labels and it works fine for me
> > > (unless I am at total cross purposes).
> > > Have a look here
> > > http://www.webstruct.co.uk/webstruct/piechart/PieChart.xls
> > > I have uploaded the simple chart I tested.
> > >
> > > Sandy
> > >
> > > "Bob" <Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
Bob4289 (354)

Source of Pie Charts using Loops
I want to run a loop which will set the data source of all piecharts i a single worksheets. Source of Chart1 is in Cells(5,3) and Cells(5,4) Source of Chart2 is in next row and same coloumn. There are 30 charts and I want to run a loop which will set the source -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Without any error checking: dim rng as range dim i as integer with activesheet set rng = .range(.cells(5,3),.cells(5,4)) for i=1 to .chartobjects.count .chartobjects(i).chart.setsourcedata _ source:=rng.offset(i-1,0) next end with - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Micr...

Linking Pie Chart in a subform to Textboxes values
I have a pie chart object inside the footer of a subform. There are some textboxes in this footer, whose values are attributed by code. Essentially, I want to link this chart to 3 text boxes, and then I expect the chart to show a simple Pie, and update it whenever the values change. What should be the RowSource and RowSource Type properties for the chart object, so that I produce the expected result? Are any other configurations needed? Thanks in advance, Paulo ...

Hiding "0" values in pivot table

Hiding formuals in cells question

hide my name

Combine cells and keep the values
Hello all. I comment you a strange thing that makes my Excel (Office 2003 SP2). (Perhaps is a piece of nonsense and I have reinvent the wheel) In the range ‘A1:A10’ of an empty worksheet I write several values (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10). In the cell ‘A11’ I put `=Average(A1:A10)'. (Result = 5.5) I select the range ’B1:B10’ and with `Format - Alignment', I combine the cells. I copy the combined range ‘B1:B10’ and in A1 I made a Special Paste - Format (if I combine A1:A10 directly does not work) The range ’A1:A10’ is combined and shows the value that was in A1 (1) but it conserves...

need to display maximum value of corresponding values in excel
Hi, I have a requirement to display the maximum scored students based on the marks. i can able to display only one student if more than one scored the same marks i want to display there name also. example sl.no studentname mark 1 john 90 2 paul 95 3 sam 80 4 michel 95 using this formula =INDEX(B:B,MATCH(MAX(C:C),C:C,0)); i can able to display the value only "paul". i want to display both paul and michel. Please help us on this. Thanks in Advance. --- frmsrcurl: http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.excel.misc/ 95 =MAX((G1:G21="paul")*...

Hiding and Un-Hiding Data fields

How do I hide gaps in an Excel 2007 chart?

Graph line graphs where X & Y values meet
Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me or tell me that this isn't possible. I have a chart that has 3 series in it. It is a reach and frequency distribution based on client spending. It draws the Line Graphs perfectly. I was wondering though that if a user could input their desired spend, Excel could then draw another line graph (like a 90 degree angle) to show where they would fall on the graph. Is this even possible? Are there better add-ons or programs for Excel that can do what I want? I mean, I can manually draw the meeting point lines but I would rather have something au...

Property Default Value
Hello, I have a class with two properties: public String DefaultCulture { get; set; } public String Cultures { get; set; } What is the correct way to define a default value for each one if they are not defined? Thanks, Miguel In the class constructor, you can set the values to whatever you need. But, since you won't have a property backing field using this syntax, you'll have to set the default value directly on the property. -Scott "shapper" <mdmoura@gmail.com> wrote in message news:c3cfb0a0-8478-40e4-83ad-8998abf4f812@36g2000yqu.googleg...

adding values of cells
I am trying to use a formula or function that will look at a cells say column A check for a condition, if true, then add the value of another cell that is on the same row to another cell. Yes I know that may be difficult to understand so let me give you an example. A B C D 1 2 dvd 25.23 3 cd 12.25 4 dvd 25.23 5 cd 12.25 6 bat 19.25 ok so what i want to do is look at column A, and look for any cells that have dvd and add the corresponding value from column D to cell B1. So in this case we can see the cell A2 and cell A4 is dvd so I want to add cells D2 and D4 and that...

Sumif where source values are assigned by "if" formula
I am trying to sum the values in a column (Q20:Q300) based on an assigned designation in another column (N20:N300). The destination cell is Q11. The criteria value is found in cell N11. Values in cells Q20:Q300 are assigned via an "if" condition dependent on a value assigned in column "O". When I place the placed the following formula in my destination cell (Q11), it returned a value of "0" which is incorrect. My assumption is that the formula is recognizing the numeric value in column Q as text and is not adding properly. formula in Q11 ... =sumif(N20...

Hide images when Hiding Rows

charting calculated values #2
The cells for future months contain formulas which give values of zer until data is entered on other linked sheets -- dp ----------------------------------------------------------------------- dpj's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=149 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27225 ...

Hiding a worksheet #3

how to hide an ActiveX control?

Hiding plot Area

Multiple Values
My next problem is I need to extract only certain information from a worksheet as sample- Worksheet A Worksheet B Column A Column A Column B Column C SP001 SP001 PL001 16 SP001 PL002 1 SP001 DC001 5 Worksheet B is my Bill of Material...

Null value question
I have a query that I am trying to pull using "is null" and the query returns nothing. I know there are several records with a null value in the field I am specifying it on. Any ideas why it won't return any records? Thanks. Lisa The field value might be empty and not Null (usually happen when the value was deleted or the table was inported from a file) In that case add a criteria Is Null Or = "" To be sure the validation is right use Is Null under the field, then add another field with Trim(FieldName) to remove spaces and then under the criteria write = &q...

Referencing a Row value from within a VLOOKUP
Hello group, I've worked with excel for many years, but I could use some help throwing this together. The background: I have two sheets within the same workbook. One sheet has check numbers and values that have been issued by the company. The other sheet has that same information, but only what has been reported back to us by the bank. I working on streamlining the comparison between the two sheets to more easily see what checks are outstanding (have not been cashed at the bank). Also, if the check has been cashed, I want to compare the value that the bank recorded with the v...

Replace the minus value
Hi freindz, I am working in one sheet. There are some negative (minus) value in some cell. I want to replace it with zero with the use of formula. Kindly suggest me, how can it possible. Regards, Rajiv To use a formula: =if(a1<0,0,a1) Regards, Fred "Rajiv" <Rajiv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9AC01190-886D-4394-B6E0-CA5DB1A49395@microsoft.com... > Hi freindz, > > I am working in one sheet. There are some negative (minus) value in some > cell. I want to replace it with zero with the use of formula. > > Kind...

log graph zero or negative values error
Hi, Excel gives an error message when you try to plot a zero or negative number on a graph. I am using a template, so I don't want to go through and manually remove the zero data every time. Is there any way to turn off the error message, it is getting VERY irritating. Cheers, Joyce [This followup was posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting with an email copy to Joyce. Please use the newsgroup for further discussion.] As far as I know, XL insists on complaining when one wants to plot log(x) where x<=0, since that is no corresponding real mathematical value. You could modi...

Hiding rows with VBA
Hi all, In my sheet called "insertsheet I have this VBA: (thanks to some users of Google groups) Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Const nMAX As Long = 10 Dim nRows As Long Application.ScreenUpdating = False With Me With .Range("B8") If Intersect(Target(1), .Cells) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub nRows = .Value End With .Range(.Cells(1, 5), .Cells(1, _ .Columns.Count)).EntireColumn.Hidden = True .Range(Cells(1, 5), .Cells(1, _ ...

hiding rows
I have data in cells A7:DK394 which all have 0 in them until totals are added in other worksheets which then pullthrough. At the end of the week I have to Hide all rows from A7 to A394 that still have 0 in them as no totals have been added in other sheets so the customer has not posted with us. is there any way excell can recognise the cells that have no data against them and hide them automatically by pressing a button. or if they all start off hidden unhide as data is entered. Hopefully this makes sense many thanks for any help with this as again its to save me lots of...