Help with setting up spreadsheet and charts please

Hi, I would be extremely grateful for some help with my spreadsheet.

I have the following data which I need to use to produce charts for a
hospital report fairly urgently.

The rows are the names of patients. This could be up to 200 for each month,
but this varies from month to month. I will have each month on a different
worksheet.

Column F - Ward
Column G - Hospital
Column K - I have a number 1 in the row if the patient meets the criteria

I need to produce a chart(s) to show and compare the following:

How many patients from each ward met the criteria (as indicated by 1 in
column K) and how many did not.

How many patients from each hospital met the criteria and how many did not.

I would really like some help!!!

Matthew,
Classical homework, isn’t it? It’s an example for using Excel function SUMIF
(find out the Help for this function). Make somewhere the column list of you
Wards. Next to the first Ward insert the function SUMIF.  As its Range
argument select the range of your Wards from the patients list, as Criteria
select the link to the cell with Ward name, as Sum all of yours 1’s and
nothings or zeros. The ranges should be anchored properly ($’s). Copy the
SUMIF down for all Ward names. You will obtain the correct count in each
category. For graphical representation create bar chart.
For negative counting you have to know the totals of patients in Wards. You
obtain them by means of COUNTIF function. So, for each Ward from your list
insert  this function to the next column with quite the same range and
criteria arguments as with SUMIF. The count of the not-meetings is mere a
difference.
Do the same with Hospitals.

--
Petr Bezucha

"matthewluck1" wrote:

> Hi, I would be extremely grateful for some help with my spreadsheet.
>
> I have the following data which I need to use to produce charts for a
> hospital report fairly urgently.
>
> The rows are the names of patients. This could be up to 200 for each month,
> but this varies from month to month. I will have each month on a different
> worksheet.
>
> Column F - Ward
> Column G - Hospital
> Column K - I have a number 1 in the row if the patient meets the criteria
>
> I need to produce a chart(s) to show and compare the following:
>
> How many patients from each ward met the criteria (as indicated by 1 in
> column K) and how many did not.
>
> How many patients from each hospital met the criteria and how many did not.
>
> I would really like some help!!!

0
PBezucha (46)
11/6/2008 3:48:01 PM
Thanks, I have got as far as counting the number of 1's in the patient list
using the formula: =SUMIF($F1:F89,L1:L26,J1:J89)

I am stuck using the COUNTIF function to count which cells are have 0's.  I
have my summary of all wards mentioned in column L (L1:L26). My 0's and 1's
are found in column J (J1:J89). The ward on the main part of the sheet is on
each row in column G (G1:G89).

I would like the spreadsheet to look at the ward name in my summary in
column L, then if this matches in column G and there is an 0 in column J
alongside it, then this should be counted to add up to a cumulative total of
0's per ward.

Sorry for my lack of understanding I've not used excel for ages!!!

"PBezucha" wrote:

> Matthew,
> Classical homework, isn’t it? It’s an example for using Excel function SUMIF
> (find out the Help for this function). Make somewhere the column list of you
> Wards. Next to the first Ward insert the function SUMIF.  As its Range
> argument select the range of your Wards from the patients list, as Criteria
> select the link to the cell with Ward name, as Sum all of yours 1’s and
> nothings or zeros. The ranges should be anchored properly ($’s). Copy the
> SUMIF down for all Ward names. You will obtain the correct count in each
> category. For graphical representation create bar chart.
> For negative counting you have to know the totals of patients in Wards. You
> obtain them by means of COUNTIF function. So, for each Ward from your list
> insert  this function to the next column with quite the same range and
> criteria arguments as with SUMIF. The count of the not-meetings is mere a
> difference.
> Do the same with Hospitals.
>
> --
> Petr Bezucha
>

> "matthewluck1" wrote:
>
> > Hi, I would be extremely grateful for some help with my spreadsheet.
> >
> > I have the following data which I need to use to produce charts for a
> > hospital report fairly urgently.
> >
> > The rows are the names of patients. This could be up to 200 for each month,
> > but this varies from month to month. I will have each month on a different
> > worksheet.
> >
> > Column F - Ward
> > Column G - Hospital
> > Column K - I have a number 1 in the row if the patient meets the criteria
> >
> > I need to produce a chart(s) to show and compare the following:
> >
> > How many patients from each ward met the criteria (as indicated by 1 in
> > column K) and how many did not.
> >
> > How many patients from each hospital met the criteria and how many did not.
> >
> > I would really like some help!!!

Put

=SUMIF($G$1:$G$100;L1;$J1:$J100)        into M-column

=COUNTIF($G1:$G100;L1)-M1                  into N-column.

I was overly didactic, take my apologies. Countif has also by one argument
fewer, I failed to mention, and that was what may have confused you.

Regards
--
Petr Bezucha

"matthewluck1" wrote:

> Thanks, I have got as far as counting the number of 1's in the patient list
> using the formula: =SUMIF($F1:F89,L1:L26,J1:J89)
>
> I am stuck using the COUNTIF function to count which cells are have 0's.  I
> have my summary of all wards mentioned in column L (L1:L26). My 0's and 1's
> are found in column J (J1:J89). The ward on the main part of the sheet is on
> each row in column G (G1:G89).
>
> I would like the spreadsheet to look at the ward name in my summary in
> column L, then if this matches in column G and there is an 0 in column J
> alongside it, then this should be counted to add up to a cumulative total of
> 0's per ward.
>
> Sorry for my lack of understanding I've not used excel for ages!!!
>
> "PBezucha" wrote:
>
> > Matthew,
> > Classical homework, isn’t it? It’s an example for using Excel function SUMIF
> > (find out the Help for this function). Make somewhere the column list of you
> > Wards. Next to the first Ward insert the function SUMIF.  As its Range
> > argument select the range of your Wards from the patients list, as Criteria
> > select the link to the cell with Ward name, as Sum all of yours 1’s and
> > nothings or zeros. The ranges should be anchored properly ($’s). Copy the
> > SUMIF down for all Ward names. You will obtain the correct count in each
> > category. For graphical representation create bar chart.
> > For negative counting you have to know the totals of patients in Wards. You
> > obtain them by means of COUNTIF function. So, for each Ward from your list
> > insert  this function to the next column with quite the same range and
> > criteria arguments as with SUMIF. The count of the not-meetings is mere a
> > difference.
> > Do the same with Hospitals.
> >
> > --
> > Petr Bezucha
> >

> > "matthewluck1" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi, I would be extremely grateful for some help with my spreadsheet.
> > >
> > > I have the following data which I need to use to produce charts for a
> > > hospital report fairly urgently.
> > >
> > > The rows are the names of patients. This could be up to 200 for each month,
> > > but this varies from month to month. I will have each month on a different
> > > worksheet.
> > >
> > > Column F - Ward
> > > Column G - Hospital
> > > Column K - I have a number 1 in the row if the patient meets the criteria
> > >
> > > I need to produce a chart(s) to show and compare the following:
> > >
> > > How many patients from each ward met the criteria (as indicated by 1 in
> > > column K) and how many did not.
> > >
> > > How many patients from each hospital met the criteria and how many did not.
> > >
> > > I would really like some help!!!

0
PBezucha (46)
11/12/2008 7:36:01 AM
Thank you so much for your help. It is working fine now. :D

"PBezucha" wrote:

> Put
>
> =SUMIF($G$1:$G$100;L1;$J1:$J100)        into M-column
>
> =COUNTIF($G1:$G100;L1)-M1                  into N-column.
>
> I was overly didactic, take my apologies. Countif has also by one argument
> fewer, I failed to mention, and that was what may have confused you.
>
> Regards
> --
> Petr Bezucha
>

> "matthewluck1" wrote:
>
> > Thanks, I have got as far as counting the number of 1's in the patient list
> > using the formula: =SUMIF($F1:F89,L1:L26,J1:J89)
> >
> > I am stuck using the COUNTIF function to count which cells are have 0's.  I
> > have my summary of all wards mentioned in column L (L1:L26). My 0's and 1's
> > are found in column J (J1:J89). The ward on the main part of the sheet is on
> > each row in column G (G1:G89).
> >
> > I would like the spreadsheet to look at the ward name in my summary in
> > column L, then if this matches in column G and there is an 0 in column J
> > alongside it, then this should be counted to add up to a cumulative total of
> > 0's per ward.
> >
> > Sorry for my lack of understanding I've not used excel for ages!!!
> >
> > "PBezucha" wrote:
> >
> > > Matthew,
> > > Classical homework, isn’t it? It’s an example for using Excel function SUMIF
> > > (find out the Help for this function). Make somewhere the column list of you
> > > Wards. Next to the first Ward insert the function SUMIF.  As its Range
> > > argument select the range of your Wards from the patients list, as Criteria
> > > select the link to the cell with Ward name, as Sum all of yours 1’s and
> > > nothings or zeros. The ranges should be anchored properly ($’s). Copy the
> > > SUMIF down for all Ward names. You will obtain the correct count in each
> > > category. For graphical representation create bar chart.
> > > For negative counting you have to know the totals of patients in Wards. You
> > > obtain them by means of COUNTIF function. So, for each Ward from your list
> > > insert  this function to the next column with quite the same range and
> > > criteria arguments as with SUMIF. The count of the not-meetings is mere a
> > > difference.
> > > Do the same with Hospitals.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Petr Bezucha

Thanks again. Sorry to be a pain, but I have one more question / formula to
work out and have tried to change the ones already used but to no avail.

In cell O3 and O4 I have the total number of patients (one cell per
hospital). In cell P3 and P4, I need a formula to display the number of
patients who me the criteria.

Back to the main part of my spreadsheet, I have the name of the hospital in
the F row from F3 to F91. In the same rows but in the G column, I have a 1 if
the criteria was met and 0 if it was not.

I need some sort of formula to look at the number of patients who met the
criteria by hospital name.

Matthew

"PBezucha" wrote:

> Put
>
> =SUMIF($G$1:$G$100;L1;$J1:$J100)        into M-column
>
> =COUNTIF($G1:$G100;L1)-M1                  into N-column.
>
> I was overly didactic, take my apologies. Countif has also by one argument
> fewer, I failed to mention, and that was what may have confused you.
>
> Regards
> --
> Petr Bezucha
>

> "matthewluck1" wrote:
>
> > Thanks, I have got as far as counting the number of 1's in the patient list
> > using the formula: =SUMIF($F1:F89,L1:L26,J1:J89)
> >
> > I am stuck using the COUNTIF function to count which cells are have 0's.  I
> > have my summary of all wards mentioned in column L (L1:L26). My 0's and 1's
> > are found in column J (J1:J89). The ward on the main part of the sheet is on
> > each row in column G (G1:G89).
> >
> > I would like the spreadsheet to look at the ward name in my summary in
> > column L, then if this matches in column G and there is an 0 in column J
> > alongside it, then this should be counted to add up to a cumulative total of
> > 0's per ward.
> >
> > Sorry for my lack of understanding I've not used excel for ages!!!
> >
> > "PBezucha" wrote:
> >
> > > Matthew,
> > > Classical homework, isn’t it? It’s an example for using Excel function SUMIF
> > > (find out the Help for this function). Make somewhere the column list of you
> > > Wards. Next to the first Ward insert the function SUMIF.  As its Range
> > > argument select the range of your Wards from the patients list, as Criteria
> > > select the link to the cell with Ward name, as Sum all of yours 1’s and
> > > nothings or zeros. The ranges should be anchored properly ($’s). Copy the
> > > SUMIF down for all Ward names. You will obtain the correct count in each
> > > category. For graphical representation create bar chart.
> > > For negative counting you have to know the totals of patients in Wards. You
> > > obtain them by means of COUNTIF function. So, for each Ward from your list
> > > insert  this function to the next column with quite the same range and
> > > criteria arguments as with SUMIF. The count of the not-meetings is mere a
> > > difference.
> > > Do the same with Hospitals.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Petr Bezucha

Matthew,
Just by the strike of fortune I looked, after ages, into my post, and found
that after the acknowledgment an additional post came from you.
I had taken it that the wards and hospitals were classifying variables of
the same position towards meeting criteria. I don’t see any difference
whether there are wards in the column F or G or hospitals in the column F or
G, suppose there is still the same column (G or K??) with 0 or 1’s. Exactly
the same function COUNTIF and SUMIF should have been applied, as I had
advised in my first reply.
Where have you lost your head since?
Regards
Petr

--
Petr Bezucha

"matthewluck1" wrote:

> Thanks again. Sorry to be a pain, but I have one more question / formula to
> work out and have tried to change the ones already used but to no avail.
>
> In cell O3 and O4 I have the total number of patients (one cell per
> hospital). In cell P3 and P4, I need a formula to display the number of
> patients who me the criteria.
>
> Back to the main part of my spreadsheet, I have the name of the hospital in
> the F row from F3 to F91. In the same rows but in the G column, I have a 1 if
> the criteria was met and 0 if it was not.
>
> I need some sort of formula to look at the number of patients who met the
> criteria by hospital name.
>
> Matthew
>

> "PBezucha" wrote:
>
> > Put
> >
> > =SUMIF($G$1:$G$100;L1;$J1:$J100)        into M-column
> >
> > =COUNTIF($G1:$G100;L1)-M1                  into N-column.
> >
> > I was overly didactic, take my apologies. Countif has also by one argument
> > fewer, I failed to mention, and that was what may have confused you.
> >
> > Regards
> > --
> > Petr Bezucha
> >

> > "matthewluck1" wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks, I have got as far as counting the number of 1's in the patient list
> > > using the formula: =SUMIF($F1:F89,L1:L26,J1:J89)
> > >
> > > I am stuck using the COUNTIF function to count which cells are have 0's.  I
> > > have my summary of all wards mentioned in column L (L1:L26). My 0's and 1's
> > > are found in column J (J1:J89). The ward on the main part of the sheet is on
> > > each row in column G (G1:G89).
> > >
> > > I would like the spreadsheet to look at the ward name in my summary in
> > > column L, then if this matches in column G and there is an 0 in column J
> > > alongside it, then this should be counted to add up to a cumulative total of
> > > 0's per ward.
> > >
> > > Sorry for my lack of understanding I've not used excel for ages!!!

0
PBezucha (46)

Gantt Chart issue.
I have had a number of users complain that they make customizations to their Gantt charts (color coding, text and drawings) and from time to time their customizations seem to disappear after a save and publish. Is this an issue? has anyone else experienced this and if so, is there a fix? Sorry forgot to mention, MSPS 2007 SP2... "Eric_H" wrote: > I have had a number of users complain that they make customizations to their > Gantt charts (color coding, text and drawings) and from time to time their > customizations seem to disappear after a save and publish....

Transferring data to a new company that has a "new" chart of accou
Hello: The client wants to create a new company in GP 9.0. This company is going to be the client’s “new live” company. The client wants this company to have a different account format and a new chart of accounts from what the old company has. They want to get rid of this “old live” company, because they say that financial and other data is not clearly discernible. Pretty easy, so far….. But, the client also wants to transfer the payroll and payables data from the old live company to this new live company. The issue is that the new company will have a new chart of accounts. The ...

sumifs help

Help !

Setting the range of a dialog box slider
Can anyone help me to set the min and max values of a slider control on a slider control in a dialog box, I created the control with the resource editor and do not know how to access the class of the control (the class wizard only creates a class for the dialog box), is there a way to attach a CSliderCtrl class to the resource or is there some other way to access the object in C++. SiBorg wrote: > Can anyone help me to set the min and max values of a slider control on a slider control in a dialog box, I created the control with the resource editor and do not know how to access the class of...

Help with this thing

Excel chart to Access report
Apologies if this isn't the right forum, but I'm clutching at straws here.... I have a chart which must be created in Excel because the Access chart interface does not (to my knowledge) permit custom error bars. The problem is that I want then to include the graph in an Access report. I can see how, via automation, I can address the chart from code in the Access report. I just don't know how to actually include it, if you get my meaning. I thought placing an unbound OLE object control in the report would be a good start, but I don't seem to be able to move the chart data into...

Help with Outlook Setup!!!

exch 5.5 help

Possible to set up a timer in Outlook?
I would like to have one of Outlook's reminders appear. Then, when I acknowlege it, I would like Outlook to, in effect, 'count down' until a certain period of time has elapsed, then pop up another reminder. In short, rather than a reminder that occurs at a specific time of day, I'd like a recurring reminder that only appears when a certain amount of time has elapsed after I manually acknowlege the last reminder. Is there an easy way to set up such a thing in Outlook? Thanks for any answers or suggestions. Schuh is my hero <no@mail> wrote: > I would like to ha...

Help with Formula Please 02-19-10

how do i set up a excel program for seniors membership/dues, etc
I need to download a program that will be easy to use. i sign in as confused senior One start is to browse the free templates at MS': http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/default.aspx -- Max Singapore http://savefile.com/projects/236895 xdemechanik --- "completely confused" <completelyconfused@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B304EB05-8C65-46EF-9D44-1A2E12E318B8@microsoft.com... >I need to download a program that will be easy to use. i sign in as >confused > senior ...

Excel charts and Word docs
In Office 2003, how do I import an excel table into a word doc? In Ms Word go to Insert - Object - Create from File and select the xls file that contains your table. "Frustrated" wrote: > In Office 2003, how do I import an excel table into a word doc? Copy the range in Excel, switch to Word, and paste. Word puts the Excel data into a Word table. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ "Frustrated" <Frustrated@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:90F...

Need help in data copying.

help...help...help

Macro Help

Chart and Data range
Hello I'm using a chart dayly and i would like that the chart take all the data without selecting source data within data source and updating the range manualy. Thanks for Help Louis Do a Google search for: Excel dynamic chart or go to http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Dynamics.html best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "Louis" <Louis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8F2F4B7D-82E2-47F9-9D05-79BEE769CFC2@microsoft.com... > Hello > > I'm using a chart dayly and i would li...

daily data overlaid by monthly data chart
I have to create a graph that has daily data overlaid by monthly data. Ideally the monthly data would be a bar graph with the daily data as line graph over top. 'Here's a pic to explain what I mean (http://apple.termisoc.org/~j/files/excel_nightmare.JPG) (96kb) I also had the problem that the monthly data was in a differen arrangement - the date traversing the columns with the daily data wen vertically. - To fix it I used the Edit -> Special paste -> transpose option an then laboriously cut and pasted the resulting arrangement to one bi column. Wish I knew a better way. I ...

OT: Setting for posting here
I'm using Outlook Express 6 to access this newsgroup as well as a few others. Where is the setting that I can put jibberish in my email addy that will force people to manually edit it before sending me mail. For example jl_amerson@hotnospammail.com TIA Please explain! -- tool/accounts/news/email address -- "Display tolerance & kindness to those with less knowledge than you because there is ALWAYS someone with more" "JL Amerson" <JL_Amerson@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:vtf04vqp2qfi88@corp.supernews.com... > I'm using Outlook Express 6 ...

Set curdir from where template was opened
I have an app where there is a templete that resides in a directory, under this directory is a data storage folder, the location of the template can change. Part of the code builds the require directory structure below the template location. Is there a way to set the curdir to where the workbook was opened from ie: where template sits? I am interupting the save process so I can set the name of the file depending on values within a worksheet, it needs to default to the "place where template is"\datastore\"Name I define".xls TIA W Code below FYI: Sub Workbook_Be...

help me #2

Create and set up custom forms in OWA
Hey there! I read, that it is possible to convert custom forms to asp so that they can be used in OWA. Is there another tool than Microsoft Outlook HTML Form Converter to do the conversion-part? Do you know of an article that describes exactely how to set up such a form and where to install it etc. Like: What to do after I turned the Outlook custom form into an ActiveServerPage? Thanks for any help, Reto. ...

HelpProvider and HTML Help interaction