Help, please: sorting the Legend

I'm lucky if I use 10% of the power of Excel. I would be grateful for
advice.

Ten salesmen on a team. At the end of each month, their cumulative
totals for the year are updated. The spreadsheet gets re-sorted, showing
their standing in rank order. Simple enough.

At the beginning of the year, I created a line chart to track each
person's progress. I initially listed the names in alphabetical order
and defined the series accordingly. The problem comes when I do the end
of the month re-sort. The names in the Legend are no longer in
alphabetical order but neither do they correctly correspond to that
person's correct row in the spreadsheet, as represented in the line
graph.

How do I make the names in the Legend appear in the same order as in the
sorted speadsheet, and with each name corresponding to the correct line
in the graph?

Thank in advance.

cheers,

Henry
0
henry999 (1)

On Nov 7, 11:01=A0am, henry...@eircom.net (Henry) wrote:
> I'm lucky if I use 10% of the power of Excel. I would be grateful for
> advice.
>
> Ten salesmen on a team. At the end of each month, their cumulative
> totals for the year are updated. The spreadsheet gets re-sorted, showing
> their standing in rank order. Simple enough.
>
> At the beginning of the year, I created a line chart to track each
> person's progress. I initially listed the names in alphabetical order
> and defined the series accordingly. The problem comes when I do the end
> of the month re-sort. The names in the Legend are no longer in
> alphabetical order but neither do they correctly correspond to that
> person's correct row in the spreadsheet, as represented in the line
> graph.
>
> How do I make the names in the Legend appear in the same order as in the
> sorted speadsheet, and with each name corresponding to the correct line
> in the graph?
>
> Thank in advance.
>
> cheers,
>
> Henry

"If desired, send your file to dguillett  @gmail.com I will only look
if:
4. You send before/after examples and expected results."
0
dguillett1 (2487)
11/7/2010 5:49:57 PM
One way is NOT to sort the original master sheet. Instead, take a copy
of that sheet (using CTRL-drag), give the copied sheet a different
name and then sort the copied sheet. The original links will still
refer back to the original master sheet, and so will not cause you the
problems.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Nov 7, 5:01=A0pm, henry...@eircom.net (Henry) wrote:
> I'm lucky if I use 10% of the power of Excel. I would be grateful for
> advice.
>
> Ten salesmen on a team. At the end of each month, their cumulative
> totals for the year are updated. The spreadsheet gets re-sorted, showing
> their standing in rank order. Simple enough.
>
> At the beginning of the year, I created a line chart to track each
> person's progress. I initially listed the names in alphabetical order
> and defined the series accordingly. The problem comes when I do the end
> of the month re-sort. The names in the Legend are no longer in
> alphabetical order but neither do they correctly correspond to that
> person's correct row in the spreadsheet, as represented in the line
> graph.
>
> How do I make the names in the Legend appear in the same order as in the
> sorted speadsheet, and with each name corresponding to the correct line
> in the graph?
>
> Thank in advance.
>
> cheers,
>
> Henry

0
pashurst (2576)
11/7/2010 8:34:05 PM
Don't sort the data sheet.  Instead, create PivotTables (and
PivotCharts where appropriate)  Sort these alphabetically or by
cumulative totals or whatever other criteria you want to use.

On Sun, 7 Nov 2010 19:01:46 +0200, henry999@eircom.net (Henry) wrote:

>I'm lucky if I use 10% of the power of Excel. I would be grateful for
>advice.
>
>Ten salesmen on a team. At the end of each month, their cumulative
>totals for the year are updated. The spreadsheet gets re-sorted, showing
>their standing in rank order. Simple enough.
>
>At the beginning of the year, I created a line chart to track each
>person's progress. I initially listed the names in alphabetical order
>and defined the series accordingly. The problem comes when I do the end
>of the month re-sort. The names in the Legend are no longer in
>alphabetical order but neither do they correctly correspond to that
>person's correct row in the spreadsheet, as represented in the line
>graph.
>
>How do I make the names in the Legend appear in the same order as in the
>sorted speadsheet, and with each name corresponding to the correct line
>in the graph?
>
>Thank in advance.
>
>cheers,
>
>Henry
Regards,

Tushar Mehta
Microsoft MVP Excel 2000-present
www.tushar-mehta.com
Excel and PowerPoint tutorials and add-ins
0
Tushar

sumifs help

Excel sorting #3
Is there a way to sort data by absolute value? I have a list of numbers, both negative and positive and I would like the list to have the highest positive and negative numbers at the top (e.g. -10,000 and +10,000 and the lowest numbers to be at the bottom(e.g -1 & 1). ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Blue, In an empty column, place the formula =ABS(A1) then fill down as far as you need to go. Then sort on this column. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson M...

Help !

Help with this thing

Help with Outlook Setup!!!

SMTP incoming routing based on UserID..Urgent please...thanks in a
Hi, I have my requirement as follows: - I have a single domain called test.mail.biz i want that all my incoming e-mails should land to my exchange server. However, there are few "users" whose mailboxes are on a different non-exchange server. I have MX record and remote domain configured on SMTP host for normal domain based routing. Is there any method by which I can tell SMTP that any mails coming for user1@test.mail.biz should get relayed to some other server?rest of the users should get relay to my exchange mail server. Any help appreciated. Thanks again This might work: ...

exch 5.5 help

Help with Formula Please 02-19-10

help...help...help

Need help in data copying.

Macro Help

help me #2

League table automatic sort/update
Hi All I'm just getting up to speed with Excel and as an exercise I'm trying to implement a simple league table. What I'd like to know is how to create 'dynamically' a ranking table like the one shown below. Pos Player Points 1 Tom 124 2 Linda 122 3 Harry 107 4 Jayne 100 4 Bob 100 5 Steve 89 6 Mark 88 7 John 80 8 Angie 77 9 Andrew 71 The table is sorted on the points column, the values for which are referenced from another sheet. Ideally I'd Like the table to be sorted automatically as players points total change(based on calculations In another sheet). ...

CString help

HelpProvider and HTML Help interaction

Sorting Payables Cheques when Printing
In the Edit Payables Cheque window, there is a 'Sort Documents on Remittance by:' field that defaults to Date. I would prefer for it to always default to Number (the second choice). Is there a way to permanently set this without having to manually update it each time I enter the screen? Thanks Yes, you need to use VBA. Do you own Modifier? "Adam" wrote: > In the Edit Payables Cheque window, there is a 'Sort Documents on Remittance > by:' field that defaults to Date. I would prefer for it to always default to > Number (the second choice...

Your Help is Appreciated

Sort Macro #2
I recorded this macro to sort a list according to a custom list. The problem I have is that it does not sort on another users Excel because they don't have the same customs list. Is there a way round this problem? Sub Macro1() Columns("N:N").Select Selection.Sort Key1:=Range("N1"), Order1:=xlDescending, Header:=xlGuess, _ OrderCustom:=12, MatchCase:=False, Orientation:=xlTopToBottom, _ DataOption1:=xlSortNormal End Sub Hi! Application.AddCustomList ListArray:=Range("A1:A10") will add a custo list to a workbook using a range y...

Variable Range Sort
Hello I am trying to setup a macro to sort a variable range. I need to sort from A3 to L, but the L row would be variable... I know if I select A3:L3 and then do End(xlDown) that would be a start but I am not sure how exactly to work this into the sort portion..... A start is.... Range("A3:L3").Select Range(Selection, Selection.End(xlDown)).Select but I am stuck now... I can't figure out how to set the range in sort to something like that. I need to sort ascending with column E then secondary with column C. Dim wks as worksheet dim LastRow as long ...

bcc help

Rules Wizard Help

More help with formula
I need 2 formulas for the following: Problem 1: Columns "c" thru "g" contain numbers from 1 thru 100. If th numbers is those columns are 50 or less then I the sum to go in on column; then the sum of numbers between 51 to 100 to go into anothe column. Problem 2: Columns "c" thru "g" contain numbers from 1 thru 100. If th individual number 1-100 is used (3 times, 4 times, 5 times, etc.) tota the I need to show the number of times it was used in the columns. For example: If 1 is used 5 times in columns C thru G then the numbe is 5; the same with 2, th...