graphing ordered non-numeric value

How does one graph an ordered but non-numeric value (e.g. Excellent, Very
Good, Good, Satisfactory, Fair, Poor, Failed) on the Y-axis and the date on
the x-axis?
0
mkchu (1)

Hi Mkchu,

> How does one graph an ordered but non-numeric value (e.g. Excellent, Very
> Good, Good, Satisfactory, Fair, Poor, Failed) on the Y-axis and the date on
> the x-axis?

Probably the easiest way is to give each of them a number (e.g. Failed = 0,
Excellent = 6) and plot those.  Then format the Y axis to show markers but no
labels and use text boxes for the labels.

Regards

Stephen Bullen
Microsoft MVP - Excel
www.oaltd.co.uk

Or use a dummy series with data labels to provide the axis labels:

   http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Y_CategoryAxis.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Stephen Bullen wrote:

> Hi Mkchu,
>

>>How does one graph an ordered but non-numeric value (e.g. Excellent, Very
>>Good, Good, Satisfactory, Fair, Poor, Failed) on the Y-axis and the date on
>>the x-axis?
>

> Probably the easiest way is to give each of them a number (e.g. Failed = 0,
> Excellent = 6) and plot those.  Then format the Y axis to show markers but no
> labels and use text boxes for the labels.
>
> Regards
>
> Stephen Bullen
> Microsoft MVP - Excel
> www.oaltd.co.uk

Make lines on a graph appear with a button
All, I need to create a graph with 40 or so lines graphed but only one up o the graph at a time with the use of buttons. I would really appreciat a hand, I am very new to this level of Excel. Thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Select all the data, and create a line chart Select a cell in the table Choose Data>Filter>AutoFilter From the dropdown list in one of the heading cells, select an item The chart will display the data for that item geistritter < wrote: > I need to create a graph with 40 or so lines graphed but only one up on > the graph at a tim...

Print pages in collated order
I have a program that I am putting together...it allows a user to use a ToggleButton to print out a variable number of pages depending on how many products have been chosen. The problem is when the pages print, they come out by individual product, not collated sets (e.g., if I want to print six copies of each product it will print out six copies of product number one, six of number two and so on). I want to be able to print them in order (e.g., one of product one, one of product two, etc…so that eventually six full sets are printed out). Here are the string of commands that I have so far...i...

XY scatter graph
How do I attach dates to data points when the x&y values are not dates? Hi, One way is to use Rob Bobey's free addin, Chart Labeler. http://www.appspro.com/Utilities/ChartLabeler.htm Cheers Andy gps tech wrote: > How do I attach dates to data points when the x&y values are not dates? -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info ...

Prediction Graphs
How do i make a graph predict the next value from 3 tables with info eg Table 1 has 5$ profit Table 2 has 3$ profit Table 3 has 8$ Profit how do i make a graph which predicts the next set of values from these values? -- peabushmartin ------------------------------------------------------------------------ peabushmartin's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27399 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=469414 The mechanics of getting a chart to predict future values is easy. Chart your data in the desi...

updating cell range depending on input value
I'm creating a spreadsheet to process golf scores and calculate handicaps. I've identified the best 10 (AD4:AD13)scores from the past 20 (AB4:AB23). What I now need to do is cater for the next score input which will be in AB24 and move the range to account for the new score (AB5:AB24). I also need to tell s/s not to move the range if input value is zero (column 'U'). That's just a start but would appreciate any help offered. Thanks. Not sure I understand, but try base any calculations of a dynamic named range. http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/DynamicRanges....

Customise Non Delivery Report???
Hi, we are running Exchange 5.5. I have recently noticed that when someone sends a mail into our organization that is an invalid recipent, the delivery report the sender gets contains rather more information in it than we would like. By default it apprears that when the delivery report is sent from the exchange server it says the container name, site name and exchange server name. Does anyone know any way of simply customising this message to say something else? Many Thanks Andy On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 03:35:03 -0800, "Andy" <Andy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: ...

Linking excel values to a web page.
Hi, I have a spreadsheet containing various results on my server. I can add some of the values as tabulated data but this does not create a dynamic link but just effectively copies the values into the HTML. I am looking to add some code to the webpages that mean that any changes in the spreadsheet's values would be updated in the relevant webpages automatically rather than needing me to go through and continually update these. Any help much appreciated. Kind regards, Peter ...

How to search a specific string value in Entire registry....
Hi Could anybody please tell me about how to search a specific string in Entire registry, any code snippet or hint about this problem? Thanks in advance... Mujtaba Did you not try using RegEnumKeyEx/RegEnumValue? Do this on all hives and you should be OK. What specific problem did you have with it? -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com "Mujtaba" <tomujtaba@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:8f4f92aa.0501080242.44b0dd36@posting.google.com... > Hi > > Could anybody please tell me about how to search a specific string in > Entire registry, any code snip...

Work Orders #4
Ok lets see, where to start... The scenario is.. The customer at the store is buying two items. One he will take home with him now and the other will be shipped. We would like to be able to make a payment for the shipping. The shipping carriers have been defined and we have a 'by weight' situation table setup. What is the best facility/procedure for this? (Layaway, Work Order?) Can we make a payment on this without shipping or picking up the final item? What is the impact and procedure if we want to return the 1st item and use the already recieved payment for the balance of item ...

Graph within a graph
I am looking to have a pie chart show general information and then have another pie chart show a section of the origional in greater detail. Is this possible? Have you tried using a Pie in Pie chart? "Jen Kulak" wrote: > I am looking to have a pie chart show general information and then have > another pie chart show a section of the origional in greater detail. Is this > possible? That is what I am trying to figure out how to do. I know where the option is, but for some reason I cannot figure out how to enter the data correctly. "Barb R." wrote: &g...

non mfc dll in studio 2005
Hi. I just got the standard edition of studio 2005 for c++. I am not really up to speed at all in mfc, and that isn't my goal, but I will if I have to put it in the path of my efforts. I'm trying to write a wrapper dll with a C interface that calls upon another vendor supplied dll so I can make access to that functionality 'generic' in my app. I'm familiar with dllmain, but I see if I try to use the wizard to create a dll, it does not seem to offer a non mfc dll option in the wizard. I would use the mfc dll but I'm not sure about app level initialization (it says th...

sales graphs
How can I create a graph that would show sales/dept on the Y axis and years or months on the X axis? use a pivot chart/table in excel. You must create a datasource forst. "irene" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:260801c5113c$6dd4a6d0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > How can I create a graph that would show sales/dept on > the Y axis and years or months on the X axis? ...

Input value changing on refresh
Hi, I am working on a budget system. The user can apply a budget by month against an account or by year and apply a spread which distributes the total by 12 i.e. 120 so 10 in each month. There are two option buttons. One for by month and one for by year. There are 13 text boxes underneath running from left to right. The months start at April and end in March. The 13th box is the total. The bug is that when you enter data and choose by year and then decide to change a month, when you switch back to by year the total has not updated. The data in the months are correct though. When you...

Resizing Graphs
I have problems with Excel when there are tons of graphs i hve to create with all the graphs being on one page. Having to resize all of them when they are all ALREADY different sizes is a pain. I know how to hold down the control key and select them and resize them all at once, but some or still larger than others unless i resize them individually. Is there a way to make them all the same height adn width some how? or is this just a dream? Must i resize all of them individually? I personally use an add-in (.xla) which includes the following code (you can pick up the size of a chart with ctrl...

Creating a Line graph
I have data that I want to put in a simple line graph: The data is A B 23 200 87 500 I mark the 6 cells, select insert chart / line and get a chart with both A and B labels on the x axis. I go to "select data source" and try "switch row/column" and get A and B as series names in the legend. How do I get the label A and the values 23 and 87 on the x axis, and label B and values 200 and 500 on the y axis please? (Congratulations Microsoft for making something that was so easy and powerful in Excel 2003 an absolutely primitive disgrace...

Graphs on Forms
I am having a problem getting a graph to display the variables along the right axes. The graph sits on a form which is linked to a parent query. The graph's information comes from a separate crosstab query that is linked to the form via fields from the parent query. The graph fields are day (horizontal axis), race time (Y-axis) and race distance (series field). Unfortunately MS Graph automatically plots the day field as series and the race distance on the X-axis despite the fact that in the crosstab query, I have assigned 'day' as a column heading, 'race distance' as ...

Update a value in an XML column
I have an XML field in a table and want to update values in the XML. Can somebody point me to where updating a field in XML is actually understandable? TIA - Jeff. "Mr. Magic" <Mufasa@NoWhere.Com> wrote in message news:ePwVdoR0KHA.3584@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... >I have an XML field in a table and want to update values in the XML. > > Can somebody point me to where updating a field in XML is actually > understandable? In what way are you trying to update it? I mean the standard UPDATE statement does the trick pretty easily if your update i...

changing cell value depending on list selection
I have a long coloumn of data which is entered by selecting from a dro down list (data/validation/list)i want a numerical value to b associated with each value from the drop down list. I would also lik this value to be dependent on another value in another cell. ie: A B C one build 1 two three build 2 Coloumns A and B are drop down lists and C is a numerical value tha appears only when Build is in coloumn B and the value depends on wha is entered in coloumn A. Hope this isnt too confusing! Thanks Rober -- Message posted...

non whole inventory
I am about to bring in sop open transactions. For some inventory (e.g. materials such as gold) I have a quantity from the old system as non whole numbers e.g., gold 3.7 and a unit price as 24.78. That is a total of 91.686 ( and in some cases it's 10 decimal places. ) The old system truncated. Bad. I understand GP does not round up, or round down. Now I could set the quantity to 1 and the unite price to 24.78; but I would lose the granularity on quantity; but have it on costing. Which sounds better. What is the best way to deal with this issue? Could I just go into Multi currency ...

How can I control the order of boot seqence
I have a (sticky-note like) program that loads at startup and stays in the system tray. It loads just fine if it loads early in the boot sequence, but if it loads toward the end, it leaves its tab in the task bar. The only way to get rid of this is to right click the icon in the systray, choose about (which opens a box with the version number) and click the OK on that box. I know this isn't really a big problem, but just annoying. Is there any way that I can control the order of the boot sequence without resorting to third party software? I'm running XP Pro SP2 with ...

joining data points on graph
I am merging two graphs and one has 23 data points, the other has 9. The category axis will have 23 data points but the 9 points are spread out, i.e. they may be at points 1, 3, 7, 15 etc of the 23-point scale. At the moment the graph will only join points that are beside each other; how do I get them to connect to the points that have spaces between them? minihana wrote on Fri, 10 Feb 2006 11:29:04 -0800: m> I am merging two graphs and one has 23 data points, the m> other has 9. The category axis will have 23 data points but m> the 9 points are spread out, i.e. they may be...

Automatic Graphs/ Dynamic Graphs
I have a list of test results, one row for each participant. (Each result is in a seperate column) I need to make a graph of all of their results when I click on their names. Obvously I cannot create a graph for each one, as there could be hundreds of participants, I need it to create a graph using relevent cell references for each person on the fly. I have seen this done in the past, but am unsure on how to accomplish this myself. Thankyou for any help you can give me Dan Hi, Maybe you used one of these sites previous to get your information. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Dy...

Scatter Chart with non-numeric values on X axis
Hi, I'm trying to figure out how to create a scatter chart (graph) wit words for the x axis. I'm trying to setup a graph showing availabilit of servers, so for the Y axis I want to show a percentage (betwee 1-100%), and for the X axis, I want to show the name of the servic (mail, news, etc). However, it seems that with a scatter chart I ca only do numeric values on both axis. Is there any way around this? Thx -- penas ----------------------------------------------------------------------- penasm's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1583 View...

Non-efficient reports disabling
Hi, I want to disable links to several reports that will be not useful in my organization and I can's find the xml file that contains the links to the reports. Please advise me where I can find this file. Thanks. If you have a 8.5 developer license of Crystal (along with the Crystal add-in supplied with CRM), I believe you can remove reports from the Crystal Server. "innab" <innab@nur.com> wrote in message news:0cfb01c36caa$ff246040$a601280a@phx.gbl... Hi, I want to disable links to several reports that will be not useful in my organization and I can's find the xml...

Order in court!
Me and some dude are writing a MemoryLeakTracker. It works pretty damn well, but we have a problem: (it's encapsulated in a single class, and i overrided the new/delete GLOBAL operators and used some macro trickery) How can i assure that it's constructer will happen BEFORE ALL other global variables classes constructers, and that his destricter will happen AFTER ALL other global variables classes destructers? I'm really stuck on this one so if you can help, or need some more clarification on my problem JUST SAY ;) thanks for your time. ZeDuS wrote: >Me and some dude are ...