Graphing A Time Series OF Stocks

My data looks like so:

Stock      TradePrice      TradeVolume      ExecutionDateTime
EFG          5.2                    8                     2:40:04 PM
EFG         5.5                     8                     2:40:02 PM
EFG          5.1                   10                    2:40:01 PM
EFG         5.3                     10                   2:40:01 PM
EFG          5.1                   10                    2:40:00 PM
EFG          5.1                  10                     2:40:00 PM
ABC          1.5                   4                      2:31:17 PM
ABC          1.6                   4                      2:31:16 PM
ABC          1.7                   2                     2:30:51 PM

I am trying to create one graph with price on the Y and time on the X for
all my stocks (in this example just 2 stocks).

Is it possible (I've tried to use the chart wizard with no success).

Thank you in advance.
0
Carl (99)

try using series. series 1 for EFG and sereis 2 for ABC

carl <carl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My data looks like so:
>
> Stock      TradePrice      TradeVolume      ExecutionDateTime
> EFG          5.2                    8                     2:40:04 PM
> EFG         5.5                     8                     2:40:02 PM
> EFG          5.1                   10                    2:40:01 PM
> EFG         5.3                     10                   2:40:01 PM
> EFG          5.1                   10                    2:40:00 PM
> EFG          5.1                  10                     2:40:00 PM
> ABC          1.5                   4                      2:31:17 PM
> ABC          1.6                   4                      2:31:16 PM
> ABC          1.7                   2                     2:30:51 PM
>

> I am trying to create one graph with price on the Y and time on the X for
> all my stocks (in this example just 2 stocks).
>
> Is it possible (I've tried to use the chart wizard with no success).
>
> Thank you in advance.

Your data are perfectly organized for a PivotTable (and PivotChart).
Select Data | PivotTable and PivotChart report... (the name has changed
with different versions of XL).

Put the ExecutionDateTime as the row field, the Stock as the column
field and the TradePrice as the data field.  By default, XL will use
'Sum of TradePrice' as the data field, but that is OK -- as long as you
do not have multiple trades for the same stock at the same time.

Of course, once you create your basic table and chart, you can
experiment with the layout to see if something else is more appealing
to you.

--
Regards,

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article <5DB36923-4D5E-4250-93C0-129672407FA7@microsoft.com>,
carl@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> My data looks like so:
>
> Stock      TradePrice      TradeVolume      ExecutionDateTime
> EFG          5.2                    8                     2:40:04 PM
> EFG         5.5                     8                     2:40:02 PM
> EFG          5.1                   10                    2:40:01 PM
> EFG         5.3                     10                   2:40:01 PM
> EFG          5.1                   10                    2:40:00 PM
> EFG          5.1                  10                     2:40:00 PM
> ABC          1.5                   4                      2:31:17 PM
> ABC          1.6                   4                      2:31:16 PM
> ABC          1.7                   2                     2:30:51 PM
>

> I am trying to create one graph with price on the Y and time on the X for
> all my stocks (in this example just 2 stocks).
>
> Is it possible (I've tried to use the chart wizard with no success).
>
> Thank you in advance.

thanks. is there a way to handle the case where I have multiple prices at the
same time ? This occurs frequently.

"Tushar Mehta" wrote:

> Your data are perfectly organized for a PivotTable (and PivotChart).
> Select Data | PivotTable and PivotChart report... (the name has changed
> with different versions of XL).
>
> Put the ExecutionDateTime as the row field, the Stock as the column
> field and the TradePrice as the data field.  By default, XL will use
> 'Sum of TradePrice' as the data field, but that is OK -- as long as you
> do not have multiple trades for the same stock at the same time.
>
> Of course, once you create your basic table and chart, you can
> experiment with the layout to see if something else is more appealing
> to you.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Tushar Mehta
> www.tushar-mehta.com
> Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials
> Custom MS Office productivity solutions
>
> In article <5DB36923-4D5E-4250-93C0-129672407FA7@microsoft.com>,
> carl@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> > My data looks like so:
> >
> > Stock      TradePrice      TradeVolume      ExecutionDateTime
> > EFG          5.2                    8                     2:40:04 PM
> > EFG         5.5                     8                     2:40:02 PM
> > EFG          5.1                   10                    2:40:01 PM
> > EFG         5.3                     10                   2:40:01 PM
> > EFG          5.1                   10                    2:40:00 PM
> > EFG          5.1                  10                     2:40:00 PM
> > ABC          1.5                   4                      2:31:17 PM
> > ABC          1.6                   4                      2:31:16 PM
> > ABC          1.7                   2                     2:30:51 PM
> >

> > I am trying to create one graph with price on the Y and time on the X for
> > all my stocks (in this example just 2 stocks).
> >
> > Is it possible (I've tried to use the chart wizard with no success).
> >
> > Thank you in advance.

0
Carl (99)
6/27/2005 12:28:05 PM
You have multiple prices for the same stock at the same time?

--

In article <05A7538A-856F-42FF-A7AC-AB27604796EF@microsoft.com>,
carl@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> thanks. is there a way to handle the case where I have multiple prices at the
> same time ? This occurs frequently.
>
> "Tushar Mehta" wrote:
>
> > Your data are perfectly organized for a PivotTable (and PivotChart).
> > Select Data | PivotTable and PivotChart report... (the name has changed
> > with different versions of XL).
> >
> > Put the ExecutionDateTime as the row field, the Stock as the column
> > field and the TradePrice as the data field.  By default, XL will use
> > 'Sum of TradePrice' as the data field, but that is OK -- as long as you
> > do not have multiple trades for the same stock at the same time.
> >
> > Of course, once you create your basic table and chart, you can
> > experiment with the layout to see if something else is more appealing
> > to you.
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Tushar Mehta
> > www.tushar-mehta.com
> > Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials
> > Custom MS Office productivity solutions
> >
> > In article <5DB36923-4D5E-4250-93C0-129672407FA7@microsoft.com>,
> > carl@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> > > My data looks like so:
> > >
> > > Stock      TradePrice      TradeVolume      ExecutionDateTime
> > > EFG          5.2                    8                     2:40:04 PM
> > > EFG         5.5                     8                     2:40:02 PM
> > > EFG          5.1                   10                    2:40:01 PM
> > > EFG         5.3                     10                   2:40:01 PM
> > > EFG          5.1                   10                    2:40:00 PM
> > > EFG          5.1                  10                     2:40:00 PM
> > > ABC          1.5                   4                      2:31:17 PM
> > > ABC          1.6                   4                      2:31:16 PM
> > > ABC          1.7                   2                     2:30:51 PM
> > >

> > > I am trying to create one graph with price on the Y and time on the X for
> > > all my stocks (in this example just 2 stocks).
> > >
> > > Is it possible (I've tried to use the chart wizard with no success).
> > >
> > > Thank you in advance.

yes. i run an exchange. a given order can be split into multiple trades all
taking place at the same time and same price.

"Tushar Mehta" wrote:

> You have multiple prices for the same stock at the same time?
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Tushar Mehta
> www.tushar-mehta.com
> Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials
> Custom MS Office productivity solutions
>
> In article <05A7538A-856F-42FF-A7AC-AB27604796EF@microsoft.com>,
> carl@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> > thanks. is there a way to handle the case where I have multiple prices at the
> > same time ? This occurs frequently.
> >
> > "Tushar Mehta" wrote:
> >
> > > Your data are perfectly organized for a PivotTable (and PivotChart).
> > > Select Data | PivotTable and PivotChart report... (the name has changed
> > > with different versions of XL).
> > >
> > > Put the ExecutionDateTime as the row field, the Stock as the column
> > > field and the TradePrice as the data field.  By default, XL will use
> > > 'Sum of TradePrice' as the data field, but that is OK -- as long as you
> > > do not have multiple trades for the same stock at the same time.
> > >
> > > Of course, once you create your basic table and chart, you can
> > > experiment with the layout to see if something else is more appealing
> > > to you.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Tushar Mehta
> > > www.tushar-mehta.com
> > > Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials
> > > Custom MS Office productivity solutions
> > >
> > > In article <5DB36923-4D5E-4250-93C0-129672407FA7@microsoft.com>,
> > > carl@discussions.microsoft.com says...

0
Carl (99)
6/27/2005 9:06:03 PM
Use the Average of Trade Price option, not the default Sum (why Sum is
default, I'll never figure out). Then drag another copy of the Trade
Price field to the Row Area. Here's how the pivot table looks:

Average of TradePrice                    Stock
ExecutionDateTime        TradePrice      ABC         EFG
2:30:51 PM               1.7             1.7
2:31:16 PM               1.6             1.6
2:31:17 PM               1.5             1.5
2:40:00 PM               5.1                         5.1
2:40:01 PM               5.1                         5.1
                          5.3                         5.3
2:40:02 PM               5.5                         5.5
2:40:04 PM               5.2                         5.2

At 2:40:01 you can see two different prices in the data area.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

carl wrote:

> yes. i run an exchange. a given order can be split into multiple trades all
> taking place at the same time and same price.
>
> "Tushar Mehta" wrote:
>

>>You have multiple prices for the same stock at the same time?
>>
>>--
>>Regards,
>>
>>Tushar Mehta
>>www.tushar-mehta.com
>>Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials
>>Custom MS Office productivity solutions
>>
>>In article <05A7538A-856F-42FF-A7AC-AB27604796EF@microsoft.com>,
>>carl@discussions.microsoft.com says...
>>
>>>thanks. is there a way to handle the case where I have multiple prices at the
>>>same time ? This occurs frequently.

time #11
I have set up a spreadsheet with time based on what our company truck drivers work. We work under a DOT rule of 70 hours / 8 days. That means that the driver can not work more than 70 hours in an 8 day period. The sheets I have (one for each month) goes back 7 days plus the current day and calculated how many hours a day the driver works and subtracts it from 70, leaving how many hours they can work the next day. If the calculation gets to 0 or above, the cell changes color to alert me that the driver's 70 hours are up and he/she has to have 34 hours off before he/she can be on duty ...

Make lines on a graph appear with a button
All, I need to create a graph with 40 or so lines graphed but only one up o the graph at a time with the use of buttons. I would really appreciat a hand, I am very new to this level of Excel. Thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Select all the data, and create a line chart Select a cell in the table Choose Data>Filter>AutoFilter From the dropdown list in one of the heading cells, select an item The chart will display the data for that item geistritter < wrote: > I need to create a graph with 40 or so lines graphed but only one up on > the graph at a tim...

XY scatter graph
How do I attach dates to data points when the x&y values are not dates? Hi, One way is to use Rob Bobey's free addin, Chart Labeler. http://www.appspro.com/Utilities/ChartLabeler.htm Cheers Andy gps tech wrote: > How do I attach dates to data points when the x&y values are not dates? -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info ...

Prediction Graphs
How do i make a graph predict the next value from 3 tables with info eg Table 1 has 5$ profit Table 2 has 3$ profit Table 3 has 8$ Profit how do i make a graph which predicts the next set of values from these values? -- peabushmartin ------------------------------------------------------------------------ peabushmartin's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27399 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=469414 The mechanics of getting a chart to predict future values is easy. Chart your data in the desi...

Graph within a graph
I am looking to have a pie chart show general information and then have another pie chart show a section of the origional in greater detail. Is this possible? Have you tried using a Pie in Pie chart? "Jen Kulak" wrote: > I am looking to have a pie chart show general information and then have > another pie chart show a section of the origional in greater detail. Is this > possible? That is what I am trying to figure out how to do. I know where the option is, but for some reason I cannot figure out how to enter the data correctly. "Barb R." wrote: &g...

Percent of time
Hi I would like to know how to get percent of time? i.e. 30% of 12:00 or 70 of 11:00 and still able to sum up / add-up the total results automatically? Thanks! If the source times are real times, just multiply it, and format the formula cell as custom: [h]:mm to enable rollover of results exceeding 24 hours. Eg if you have in A1: 12:00, you could have in B1: =870%*A1, with B1 formatted as custom: [h]:mm. B1 will return: 104:24 -- Max Singapore http://savefile.com/projects/236895 xdemechanik --- "Jay" wrote: > Hi I would like to know how to get percent of time? i.e. 30% of...

Installation time out
when installing CRM 4 I get this error crm.setup.server.installconfigdatabaseaction failed.Timeout expired.Can anyone help me -- donn ...

sales graphs
How can I create a graph that would show sales/dept on the Y axis and years or months on the X axis? use a pivot chart/table in excel. You must create a datasource forst. "irene" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:260801c5113c$6dd4a6d0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > How can I create a graph that would show sales/dept on > the Y axis and years or months on the X axis? ...

Incoming Messages have wrong time #2
I'm at my wits' end with this. Can someone help? When the clock on my task bar is correct, my incoming email messages arrive with a time stamp of one hour earlier (causing me to think it's been sitting there for an hour if I didn't happen to see it come in) Outgoing messages leave with the correct time stamp. If I go in and click "adjust for daylight savings," the incoming messages have the correct time stamp but ALL of my appointments (past, present, and future) in my calendar are moved forward an hour! I'm serious. A 2:15pm appt suddenly shows as 3:15p...

I have data in a time series that starts from 0 but i dont want x.
I have data in a time series that starts from 0 but i dont want x axis to start at zero I want it to start earlier but to not show on the graph If it is an XY chart, or a line chart with a date scale, you can double click on the X axis, and adjust the axis minimum scale. What exactly don't you want to appear on the chart? - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "Zoe" <Zoe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:006FF703-D56C-438E-8343-B14962E8D5DA@microso...

network time
if one of my domain controllers in a site has the windows time service stopped will the clients/server authenticating in that site still look to the pdc for time? if i run the w32tm /resync command on a machine when the service is running is syncs successfully. If the service is stopped i get: C:\ w32tm /resync Sending resync command to local computer... The computer did not resync because no time data was available. PDC is in another site in the domain. Is this normal? I cant seem to find any documentation on this exact question. figured as much. only one dc in the ...

Resizing Graphs
I have problems with Excel when there are tons of graphs i hve to create with all the graphs being on one page. Having to resize all of them when they are all ALREADY different sizes is a pain. I know how to hold down the control key and select them and resize them all at once, but some or still larger than others unless i resize them individually. Is there a way to make them all the same height adn width some how? or is this just a dream? Must i resize all of them individually? I personally use an add-in (.xla) which includes the following code (you can pick up the size of a chart with ctrl...

Times don't match between Journals and Sent E-mails
I use the Journal and my Sent E-mails to determine the number of hours I spend on a project for billing purposes. Suddenly the times on my sent e-mails don't match between the "Sent Items" folder and the Journal. Can anyone tell me why, which times are correct and whether I can reset the times so that they match? ...

E-mail template: Hiding TIME from date/time
I've created an e-mail template, where I draw data from quote. I want to show the date, the quote was created on. However, the TIME is also shown, and I only want the date to be shown. Is there some easy way to solve this problem? Thanks. The only quick way I can think of is to create an additional field and use java script to populate just the date... then use this field in the template. I am sure someone else out there will do better... Mike. "Thomas H. Bech" wrote: > I've created an e-mail template, where I draw data from quote. > > I want to show th...

How to change more than one column at a time into Text?
On a daily basis, I have to import data into Excel and then I need to change all the columns into Text. Is there some way that I can select all the columns and then just hit the Text button only once? Or maybe a way to have all the columns be set for Text by default from the start? (Right now the default is "General"). It's a bit of a pain to have to choose Text for each column one at a time. Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. "Alan" wrote > On a daily basis, I have to import data into Excel and then I need to > change all the columns int...

Creating a Line graph
I have data that I want to put in a simple line graph: The data is A B 23 200 87 500 I mark the 6 cells, select insert chart / line and get a chart with both A and B labels on the x axis. I go to "select data source" and try "switch row/column" and get A and B as series names in the legend. How do I get the label A and the values 23 and 87 on the x axis, and label B and values 200 and 500 on the y axis please? (Congratulations Microsoft for making something that was so easy and powerful in Excel 2003 an absolutely primitive disgrace...

Graphs on Forms
I am having a problem getting a graph to display the variables along the right axes. The graph sits on a form which is linked to a parent query. The graph's information comes from a separate crosstab query that is linked to the form via fields from the parent query. The graph fields are day (horizontal axis), race time (Y-axis) and race distance (series field). Unfortunately MS Graph automatically plots the day field as series and the race distance on the X-axis despite the fact that in the crosstab query, I have assigned 'day' as a column heading, 'race distance' as ...

joining data points on graph
I am merging two graphs and one has 23 data points, the other has 9. The category axis will have 23 data points but the 9 points are spread out, i.e. they may be at points 1, 3, 7, 15 etc of the 23-point scale. At the moment the graph will only join points that are beside each other; how do I get them to connect to the points that have spaces between them? minihana wrote on Fri, 10 Feb 2006 11:29:04 -0800: m> I am merging two graphs and one has 23 data points, the m> other has 9. The category axis will have 23 data points but m> the 9 points are spread out, i.e. they may be...

setting criteria for time values in select queries
I am using Access 2000 and 2003 (different locations). I have a need to be able to look at records entered in various time ranges eg. AM. AFT or PM. The underlying table has a time field with default set at Time(). On the data entry form the Time field shows the system time at time of entry. So does the select query I created to extract the data, until I input the criteria - Between #12:00:00PM# And #5:00:00PM#, when I run the query with this criteria I get no data at all, just the column headings. This format works well for seperating data for given days, confused as to why it wil...

Time format
Hello, i am trying to change the format for one of the columns in my query. basically, i would like: "1/6/1900 4:46:25 PM" to read as "160:46:25" "1/2/1900 3:43:31 AM" to read as "51:43:31" using field properties, what is the format that i can use to generate this result ? Thank you for your help ! -- larry larry wrote: >i am trying to change the format for one of the columns in my query. > >basically, i would like: >"1/6/1900 4:46:25 PM" to read as "160:46:25" >"1/2/1900 3:43:31 AM" to read as &q...

Automatic Graphs/ Dynamic Graphs
I have a list of test results, one row for each participant. (Each result is in a seperate column) I need to make a graph of all of their results when I click on their names. Obvously I cannot create a graph for each one, as there could be hundreds of participants, I need it to create a graph using relevent cell references for each person on the fly. I have seen this done in the past, but am unsure on how to accomplish this myself. Thankyou for any help you can give me Dan Hi, Maybe you used one of these sites previous to get your information. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Dy...

Change graph type
Hi Is there a way to flip a graph type between, say, a bar and a pie chart just by clicking a single on-screen user button? I know it's easy by right-clicking the graph and selecting the appropriate option, but it's an on-screen option I'm wondering about. Thanks in advance Steve Sorry, to clarify. I can make the change once by using the following command button code: Private Sub CommandButton1_Click() ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("Chart 1").Activate ActiveChart.ChartArea.Select ActiveChart.ChartType = xlLine End Sub However, what I want to do is revert bac...

Drawing Graphs
Hello, I would like to create an application that displays one or more graphs on tabbed pages in a single window. These would be straightforward XY coordinate line graphs of the type you would typically see on the face of an oscilloscope. Although my experience with MFC has been sporadic and minimal, I don't want to buy some 3rd party package to do this. While I could do this the hard way (i.e., get out my copy of Prosise's book and start reading), I was wondering if there is a standard class already in existance to do this, or maybe some standard Windows functions. When...

date/time formatting
I'm trying to duplicate an Excel date/time format in Reporting Services 2005. On the Excel sheet, the difference between two dates is displayed formatted as "150:58:12" and then as "6.29". (12/1/2009 9:41:49 AM - 11/25/2009 2:43:37 AM). Is there a way to format the date/time in Reporting Services to do this? dataGirl You can format dates with .NET formatting yyyMMdd os something like that "dataGirl" <dataGirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:747727D3-CA46-49BE-ACED-F7D5418FE7BF@microsoft.com... > I'm tryin...

time and date
is there any way to record the date and time in a record so that itwill not change? i.e. i want to record the date and time that an orderis placed. many thanks, michael On 20 Mar 2007 11:42:57 -0700, michael goodall wrote:> is there any way to record the date and time in a record so that it> will not change? i.e. i want to record the date and time that an order> is placed. many thanks, michaelInclude the [OrderTime] field on the form.Code the form's BeforeUpdate event:If Me.NewRecord = True Then Me.[OrderTime] = Now()End If -- FredPlease respond only to this newsgroup.I do not rep...