getting data labels on xy chart from additional plot area

I am creating a scatter chart that is designed to show trends in employee
performance. Employees are rated with 2 different tools, each using a 5 point
scale. I am able to plot the intersection of each tool rating without a
problem. However, I would like to be able to add a data label that is
employee name. When I add names to the data series, my xy chart now plots
each tool as a separate data point, not as an intersection.

So...when I use source data like below, the chart looks fine, but employee
name is not included.

Tool 1    Tool2
-------------------
 4             5
 3             4
 5             5

So Tool 1 is the x axis and Tool2 is the y axis, and the chart plots one
data point for each row.

When my data source appears as below, the chart now plots one data point for
each rating, instead of the intersection of Tool1 and Tool2.

                   Tool 1    Tool2
                    -------------------
 Bill Smith         4             5
 Sue Jones        3             4
 Mary Allen       5             5

So, I need help plotting Tool 1 and Tool2 on an xy chart, and be able to
have the employee name appear as a data label. Thank you in advance!
0
AdriS (6)

Check out these useful (and free) utilities:

    Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler, http://appspro.com
    John Walkenbach's Chart Tools, http://j-walk.com

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Adri S." <AdriS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am creating a scatter chart that is designed to show trends in employee
> performance. Employees are rated with 2 different tools, each using a 5
> point
> scale. I am able to plot the intersection of each tool rating without a
> problem. However, I would like to be able to add a data label that is
> employee name. When I add names to the data series, my xy chart now plots
> each tool as a separate data point, not as an intersection.
>
> So...when I use source data like below, the chart looks fine, but employee
> name is not included.
>
> Tool 1    Tool2
> -------------------
> 4             5
> 3             4
> 5             5
>
> So Tool 1 is the x axis and Tool2 is the y axis, and the chart plots one
> data point for each row.
>
> When my data source appears as below, the chart now plots one data point
> for
> each rating, instead of the intersection of Tool1 and Tool2.
>
>                   Tool 1    Tool2
>                    -------------------
> Bill Smith         4             5
> Sue Jones        3             4
> Mary Allen       5             5
>
> So, I need help plotting Tool 1 and Tool2 on an xy chart, and be able to
> have the employee name appear as a data label. Thank you in advance!

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
1/17/2008 11:55:31 PM
WOW! The Chart Labeler was exactly what I needed. Thank you so much for
providing these links. Problem solved.

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> Check out these useful (and free) utilities:
>
>     Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler, http://appspro.com
>     John Walkenbach's Chart Tools, http://j-walk.com
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> _______
>

> "Adri S." <AdriS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am creating a scatter chart that is designed to show trends in employee
> > performance. Employees are rated with 2 different tools, each using a 5
> > point
> > scale. I am able to plot the intersection of each tool rating without a
> > problem. However, I would like to be able to add a data label that is
> > employee name. When I add names to the data series, my xy chart now plots
> > each tool as a separate data point, not as an intersection.
> >
> > So...when I use source data like below, the chart looks fine, but employee
> > name is not included.
> >
> > Tool 1    Tool2
> > -------------------
> > 4             5
> > 3             4
> > 5             5
> >
> > So Tool 1 is the x axis and Tool2 is the y axis, and the chart plots one
> > data point for each row.
> >
> > When my data source appears as below, the chart now plots one data point
> > for
> > each rating, instead of the intersection of Tool1 and Tool2.
> >
> >                   Tool 1    Tool2
> >                    -------------------
> > Bill Smith         4             5
> > Sue Jones        3             4
> > Mary Allen       5             5
> >
> > So, I need help plotting Tool 1 and Tool2 on an xy chart, and be able to
> > have the employee name appear as a data label. Thank you in advance!

0
AdriS (6)
1/18/2008 2:52:02 PM
Hi Adri,

(tongue in cheek) - just use Lotus 1-2-3 version 1.  Yes you could do this
in the very first version of lotus without any add-ins or tricks, that was
back in 1982, before I was born.  We still don't have it in Excel 2007, 25
years later?

Cheers,
Shane

> WOW! The Chart Labeler was exactly what I needed. Thank you so much for
> providing these links. Problem solved.
>
> "Jon Peltier" wrote:
>
>> Check out these useful (and free) utilities:
>>
>>     Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler, http://appspro.com
>>     John Walkenbach's Chart Tools, http://j-walk.com
>>
>> - Jon
>> -------
>> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
>> Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com
>> _______
>>

>> "Adri S." <AdriS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am creating a scatter chart that is designed to show trends in
>> >employee
>> > performance. Employees are rated with 2 different tools, each using a 5
>> > point
>> > scale. I am able to plot the intersection of each tool rating without a
>> > problem. However, I would like to be able to add a data label that is
>> > employee name. When I add names to the data series, my xy chart now
>> > plots
>> > each tool as a separate data point, not as an intersection.
>> >
>> > So...when I use source data like below, the chart looks fine, but
>> > employee
>> > name is not included.
>> >
>> > Tool 1    Tool2
>> > -------------------
>> > 4             5
>> > 3             4
>> > 5             5
>> >
>> > So Tool 1 is the x axis and Tool2 is the y axis, and the chart plots
>> > one
>> > data point for each row.
>> >
>> > When my data source appears as below, the chart now plots one data
>> > point
>> > for
>> > each rating, instead of the intersection of Tool1 and Tool2.
>> >
>> >                   Tool 1    Tool2
>> >                    -------------------
>> > Bill Smith         4             5
>> > Sue Jones        3             4
>> > Mary Allen       5             5
>> >
>> > So, I need help plotting Tool 1 and Tool2 on an xy chart, and be able
>> > have the employee name appear as a data label. Thank you in advance!

Good ol' Lotus! I remember those days...

"Shane Devenshire" wrote:

> Hi Adri,
>
> (tongue in cheek) - just use Lotus 1-2-3 version 1.  Yes you could do this
> in the very first version of lotus without any add-ins or tricks, that was
> back in 1982, before I was born.  We still don't have it in Excel 2007, 25
> years later?
>
> Cheers,
> Shane
>
> "Adri S." <AdriS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > WOW! The Chart Labeler was exactly what I needed. Thank you so much for
> > providing these links. Problem solved.
> >
> > "Jon Peltier" wrote:
> >
> >> Check out these useful (and free) utilities:
> >>
> >>     Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler, http://appspro.com
> >>     John Walkenbach's Chart Tools, http://j-walk.com
> >>
> >> - Jon
> >> -------
> >> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> >> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> >> Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com
> >> _______
> >>

> >> "Adri S." <AdriS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
AdriS (6)

OT
Slightly off topic - counldn't find any appropriate group on my server. I'm running a prog in debug mode (VC7.1.3088) for several hours or more and I'm sending a lot of output via ATLTRACE2 to the output window. In the past I've had a couple visual studio crashes and I wondered if there was any restriction on the amount of data the output window can safely take - or there are any bugs linked to this. TIA "Joe" <not@here.com> wrote in message news:4230fa32$0$10953$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com... > Slightly off topic - counldn't find any appr...

copy and past chart 11-21-07
I have 22 employees. I have created 22 different queries for different performance data. From these I want to creat a chart for each employee. Now I have created one very good chart for one of the employees, but it took a fair amount of doing and now I would like all 22 charts to look exactly the same in appearance. I would LIKE to copy and past the chart and then just change the SOURCE of the data but I cannot figure out HOW to do this? I successfully copied and pasted each query and then just changed the criteria accordingly, but I cannot figure out how to change the source fo...

Chart overlay and joined secondary chart
I created a hi-low-close stock chart with excel, but would like to add an independent indicator on top of the main chart without disturbing the axis scale on the main chart. So my first question is: can I make an overlay chart? Secondly, if I decide to add another indicator below the original chart, is there a way to join the two charts, so the data will be aligned? Thanks Hi, Have a look at Jon's example. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AlignCharts.html It may be possible to create a combination chart, which is usually a better solution than trying to overlay them. Chee...

Data validation behaviour
Local named ranges: Codes!Depth_Range refers to: = Codes!$A$10 evaluates to: 46 (always a positive integer) Codes!Short_Name_Header refers to: = Codes!$Z$12 Codes!Sign_Table refers to: =OFFSET(Codes!Short_Name_Header,1,0,Codes!Depth_Range,3) Codes!Table refers to: =OFFSET(Codes!Short_Name_Header,1,0,Codes!Depth_Range,9) Workbook-level named ranges: Global_Sign_Table refers to: =Codes!Sign_Table Global_Table refers to: =Codes!Table In worksheet "Analysis", data validation on a cell is set to Custom formula: =$V16*VLOOKUP($P16,Global_Sign_Table,3)>=0 This be...

Restrict spreadsheet to data entry only
Fairly new to Excel. Once I've set up the structure of my spreadsheet, and entered the formulae for calculated cells etc, how can I ensure that the spreadsheet is used just for data entry and that the structure cannot be altered in any way? TIA You can use protection. You need to go to every cell you want for data entry and unprotect tha cell. You can select multiple cells... right mouse click... Then hi format cells... The last tab says protection, select it and click th check box to unprotect these items. Now you can then in the menu bar hit Tools... Protection... and the Protect...

A Crystal Beginner

Static Range, Dynamic Chart Data
I have read some great tips on making my chart dynamic that involv changing the range. The chart I would like to create is a 12 month lin chart. I want the chart to always be 12 months in length, but the poin to simply not be plotted if the value of the cell "blank". In othe words, stop the line short of the end of the plot area. The 12 months of charted cells have a formula lik =IF(A1=0,"",SUM(A1:A6)). So you see a blank cell if A1 is 0. But th chart shows this as a zero value. If I delete the contents the char does what I would like. Is there a way to simply change the ...

Keeping data without losing Formula's
I have a worksheet (named monthly) with a column of data under a certain month (which will change each time data is entered - stocktake). However this column needs to be edited each month and has formula's in it so it will work (not always the same data in the column). I decided to put this data into a yearly sheet under the particular month. The only way I can do it at the moment is to copy and paste special. How do I (or is there a way to) put this data in a sheet that has all the months but under the month that is signified. In other words I don't want formula's in the yearl...

Combination bar Charts
I have three data series on a bar chart. I want two of them stacked, and the third remaining singular (cluster bar format). I know how to change one data series to a line, but when I try to change one to a singular bar using the same techique (highlighting the singular series and selecting a different chart type), the entire chart type switches to clustered bars. Is there any way to do this? I would like to create a custom chart type in this format, but it is unclear how to create chart custom formats. Jon Peltier has information and links for clustered stacked columns on his web si...

Excel VBA / Data Sorting / Maniputaltion
i have a long list, which i imported from other data base. The problem is: 1. In each cell, besides data (data is in alphabates) there are som numeric characters which i dont want . How can i get rid of all those unwanted numbers from data, from all th list? 2. The data is in every second row, ie. one row is empty. How can i Delete those empty/blank rows from the list -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com 1. I think we will need to see a sample of your data 2. Sort the data -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com I am sending the sample data file... ...

Get paid while you get online!!

Spreadsheet getting corrupted

Scaling XY charts with suppressed starting value
The autoscaling feature of the Excel graphing function seems to have (limited) mind of its own. I'm trying to graph Y-values in the -1.5 t 1.5 range and X-values from 190 to 410 with the minimum from 190 to 29 and the max value from 290 to 410. The autoscaling of Y works fine, but the X-axis always start at 0 while the high value properly sets the maximum. Of course, I could fi the minimum at 190, but that is not what I had in mind. Does anyone know how to overcome this limitation without using a macro -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Per - You need to make an XY Sca...

How do I get??

excell charting problem with false values
I have the following formula =IF(AND(BU2<$BU$1110,BU2>$BU$1111),BU2,"") chart shows 0's for false empty value "" I would like to skip false or format so that value doesn't get charted. Replace 'nothing' with N/A which gets ignored by chart. =IF(AND(BU2<$BU$1110,BU2>$BU$1111),BU2,NA()) best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "Ricky Ray" <Ricky Ray@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:44FC3775-2804-4167-BF87-01EE74E1A291@microsoft.com... >I have the following formula ...

How to export fixed length records to a data file.
I'm creating a query for our school using the school district's standard student data format. All fields are fixed width. For example the WhiteEthnicFg field is exactly one character of either "Y" or "N". In our database we record that field as a Boolean. The Date-of-Birth District's field is an 8 character field in the format mmddyyyy. Most fields are fixed width 'Char' fields, but I don't know how to make the output match the correct width. There are decimal fields 'with one implied decimal point'. Example: 0000100 will result ...

Need to change data entered into cell. HELP ASAP!!
I have a list of over 7000 unique numbers (i.e. 123 or 77- 123). I need to add the letters "MH" in front of each number. Is there an easier way to do this than to click and edit each individual cell manually? Please help, anyone have any suggestions? Lots of thanks in advance. Hi one way (if you only have numbers): use acustom format : "MH"0 another way: in the adjacent column in row one (lets say in B1) enter the formula ="MH" & A1 copy this formula down After this select column B and copy the contents (CTRL+C). goto 'Edit - Paste Special' a...

Get notified when Out of Office is on