Format Chart Bars with code?

I have data laid out in 3 columns...  date in the first, a number in the
second,and a color (Green, Red, or Blue) in the next.  I have a chart with
floating bars and would like them to be the color of the color in column
three.  Can I do that with code? Is there a better way?
0
John1063 (943)

The conditional chart technique on this web page works without any VBA:

    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ConditionalChart1.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

>I have data laid out in 3 columns...  date in the first, a number in the
> second,and a color (Green, Red, or Blue) in the next.  I have a chart with
> floating bars and would like them to be the color of the color in column
> three.  Can I do that with code? Is there a better way?

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
3/21/2007 8:00:58 PM
yea, I was hoping you wouldn't say that... I have made my own candle charts
with multiple series for up/down open/close etc... using that technique.  I
was hoping there was an easier way then reworking all those series

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> The conditional chart technique on this web page works without any VBA:
>
>     http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ConditionalChart1.html
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com
> _______
>

> "John" <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have data laid out in 3 columns...  date in the first, a number in the
> > second,and a color (Green, Red, or Blue) in the next.  I have a chart with
> > floating bars and would like them to be the color of the color in column
> > three.  Can I do that with code? Is there a better way?

0
John1063 (943)
3/21/2007 8:23:23 PM
Would this general example work?  It assumes the colors are in column C.
Create a bar chart, activate it, and run the code.

Sub ColorBars()

    Dim Rng As Range
    Dim Color As Integer

    Color = Range("C1").Interior.ColorIndex
    Set Pts = ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(1).Points(1)
        Pts.Interior.ColorIndex = Color

    Color = Range("C2").Interior.ColorIndex
    Set Pts = ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(1).Points(2)
        Pts.Interior.ColorIndex = Color

    Color = Range("C3").Interior.ColorIndex
    Set Pts = ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(1).Points(3)
        Pts.Interior.ColorIndex = Color

End Sub

-- Can be modified to work more efficiently by looping, etc.

--
John

"John" wrote:

> yea, I was hoping you wouldn't say that... I have made my own candle charts
> with multiple series for up/down open/close etc... using that technique.  I
> was hoping there was an easier way then reworking all those series
>
> "Jon Peltier" wrote:
>
> > The conditional chart technique on this web page works without any VBA:
> >
> >     http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ConditionalChart1.html
> >
> > - Jon
> > -------
> > Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> > Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> > http://PeltierTech.com
> > _______
> >

> > "John" <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I have data laid out in 3 columns...  date in the first, a number in the
> > > second,and a color (Green, Red, or Blue) in the next.  I have a chart with
> > > floating bars and would like them to be the color of the color in column
> > > three.  Can I do that with code? Is there a better way?

negative number format

Change date format to European format

Formatting just some rows

How do I do dashboard charts in Excel
I have 3 sets (budget, forecast and actual) of sales and profit numbers and would like to show them like a dashboard ( two small circles for Budget and Forecast and a bigger one underneath those two for Actual. All 3 circles with a hand point to the numbers linked to the source data ). Can anyone tell me how to make a start? Thanks and regards Nick Hi Nick, Here are some examples of speedo type gauges. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Speedometer.html http://www.andypope.info/charts/gauge.htm Cheers Andy Nick Cheng wrote: > I have 3 sets (budget, forecast and actual) of sales a...

freezing formatting

Using F4 for charts and sorting
Excel 2007 - I would love for some of the F4 features to return to charting and sorting. For example, if I change the y-axis measurement scale on a column chart I want to be able to hit F4 on the next chart to make the same change. If I custom sort a list, I want to hit F4 on the next list and have it sort the same way. Have these updates been made? Nope. I hope they make it into the next release (Office 14), but we won't see them in 2007. One of the main reasons I don't use 2007 for anything important is un-features like the lack of F4 capability make me much less efficient...

Negative number formatting

Chart, series delete event over context menue
Hi, I want catch the delete event from a series. Is this possible over subclassing or another solution ??? Thank you. b.regards, dryman ...

Format Smartlist field

Enforce format

Conditional Formating Help

Can't eliminate flicking of chart on every calculate
I am using Excel 2002. I have real time data being charted , and I manually calculate ranges and sheets as needed. This is not a problem. I have recently added charts to plot this data. Every time there is a recalculation anywhere on the sheet (even areas not being charted) the charts flicker. Since there is new data multiple times per second , this is a problem. Yes, I know about Application.DisplayAlerts = False, and tried inserting that before EVERY calculation call. I even went so far as to use the LockWindowUpdate api call, which freezes the entire app. Unfortunatel...

Year series shows wrong in chart
Hi all : using Excel 2003, I have what should not even be a problem that I cannot solve. I have a series of years in a column, 1970-2006 to be exact, and these are the labels for my x axis. When I insert chart this appears as 1,2,3,...instead of 1970, 1971, etc. It doesn't matter how I format that column, text, general, custom, nothing works. Why is it not just giving me the data in the format that is actually there and how can I get it? thanks for any help Bevin B. Try first entering the dates as dates. To check to make sure they're entered as dates, after entering the data c...

Select Case Conditional Formatting Sub?

How to chart security indices?
Hi, I have four columns each containing values for different stock securities. I would like to chart these columns in a line chart with a line for each column. But I would like to chart the index value as opposed to the actual value. Does anyone know how to do this? By index value I mean (1 + ((CurrVal - StartVal) / StartVal) * 1000) where 1000 is the base index value. Or if anyone knows of a more clever approach to measuring percent price changes please let me know. Thanks! Marcus - Assuming your dates are in column A and your stock prices in B:E, you would put formulas in columns F...

How to format the value in a cell?

Pasting Excel charts into Word
Whenever I paste Excel charts into Word, the fonts end up looking terrible. Is there an easy solution? Pasting as a picture does not work. The only thing that does work is right clicking on the chart while in Word, selecting "Edit Picture", then fixing the text that has changed position and direction. But then my chart is no longer a simple picture. Help! How are you pasting it? I have no problem using the Word Insert Object command. 1 - In Excel, have the chart saved in its own separate .xls file, no other worksheets. 2 - In Word, choose Insert>Object. 3 - Click on the Cre...

Is it possible to save an excel chart as .emf?
I would like to save an excel chart as .emf instead of .jpeg or .gif using the script below. Is this possible? Sub SaveChartAsGIF () Fname = ThisWorkbook.Path & "\" & ActiveChart.Name & ".gif" ActiveChart.Export FileName:=Fname, FilterName:="GIF" End Sub ...

Remove formatting from SSN
I exported some data from an Access database. The Social Security Numbers are in this format: 123-45-6789. I would like to change them all to 123456789. I've tried creating a Custom Format and formatting the cells, but nothing changed. Tried setting the format of a new column, then cutting and pasting or Paste Special into the new cells, but it keeps the old formatting. Is there an answer? Try this in a "helper" column: =TEXT(A1,"000000000") To retain your leading zeroes. -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all corres...