Format Axis

I have a line chart which is pulling data from a different
sheet in my workbook.

The X axis is the date, formatted: Jan-XX, Feb-XX, etc.

The Y axis is dollar amounts formatted as 200000, 400000,
etc. - increasing by 200K at each interval. - this is
correct.

The X axis is defaulting to date the same date all the way
across, "Jan-00, Jan-00, Jan-00".  So, I'm seeing Jan-00
12 times, where I would like to see each month of the year.

When I change the X axis to so that it reads each month,
as I'd like...

The scale on my Y axis changes to:

min = 0 (this is correct)

max = 1 (not correct)

Major Unit = .1 (not correct)

Minor Unit = .002 (not correct)

The desired values are:

min = 0

max = 1600000

major = 200000

minor = 40000

When I change the y axis to my desired values, my x axis
(the months) remain correct, but I LOSE my data lines.

Please help.  Any suggestions would be extremely helpful.

Thank you.
0
acave (1)

[This followup was posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting and a copy
was sent to the cited author.]

Typically, this is a symptom that one (or more) of your chart points is
not interpreted by XL as data that is consistent with the other values
on that axis.

Check if what you think are dates are dates according to XL.  If the
dates are in column A starting with A2, and if col. C is empty, in C2
enter =ISNUMBER(A2)  and copy C2 down column C to cover all cells in
col. A.  If any of the results are 'FALSE' you need to fix the corr.
dates in col. A.

--
Regards,

Tushar Mehta
MS MVP Excel 2000-2003
www.tushar-mehta.com
Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA tutorials and add-ins
Custom Productivity Solutions leveraging MS Office

In article <01dd01c389ce$3962cb30$a301280a@phx.gbl>, acave@soybank.com
says...
> I have a line chart which is pulling data from a different
> sheet in my workbook.
>
> The X axis is the date, formatted: Jan-XX, Feb-XX, etc.
>
> The Y axis is dollar amounts formatted as 200000, 400000,
> etc. - increasing by 200K at each interval. - this is
> correct.
>
> The X axis is defaulting to date the same date all the way
> across, "Jan-00, Jan-00, Jan-00".  So, I'm seeing Jan-00
> 12 times, where I would like to see each month of the year.
>
> When I change the X axis to so that it reads each month,
> as I'd like...
>
> The scale on my Y axis changes to:
>
> min = 0 (this is correct)
>
> max = 1 (not correct)
>
> Major Unit = .1 (not correct)
>
> Minor Unit = .002 (not correct)
>
> The desired values are:
>
> min = 0
>
> max = 1600000
>
> major = 200000
>
> minor = 40000
>
> When I change the y axis to my desired values, my x axis
> (the months) remain correct, but I LOSE my data lines.
>
> Please help.  Any suggestions would be extremely helpful.
>
> Thank you.

conditional formatting #73
it works!! huge thanks Jason, I've saved days of work. I discovered each cel needed 2 conditional formats, i.e. I would have had to do over 200 edits regards Mar -- Markathepu ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Markathepub's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=353 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=31386 ...

Automatic formatting problem #2
Hi all! I've run into a problem in Outlook 2002 and Outlook 2003 with automatic formatting in a message view. In both cases, I have specific rules set up to format particular messsages with a color. However, the automatic formatting does not always work. Sometimes the messages are properly formatted, other times they are not. And it appears that the formatting condition must occur within the first few lines of a message. My rules are set to format based on certain text strings, and if the text appears very early in the message, the rule works. However, if the text appears later, the ru...

Cell formating and summing imperial weights
Hi all, Does anybody know how to format cells for using imperial weight (pounds, ounces and drams) and how do I then summ these values to als give the result in pounds, ounces and drams -- Wood ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Woody's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=575 View this thread: http://www.msusenet.com/t-187117693 On Wed, 9 Nov 2005 03:39:09 -0600, Woody <Woody.1ydm2c@no-mx.msusenet.com> wrote: > >Hi all, > >Does anybody know how to format cells for using imperial weights >(pounds, ounces and dram...

y-axis moves from the left hand side to the right hand side
Using the XY (scatter) graph normally gives a scatter graph with the y-axis on the left hand side, but for some reason with my data the y-axis has moved to the right hand side. How do I avoid this. Thank you This is also posted in .charting. And replied. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "JP" <JP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8C7B9036-E9DA-43CB-9293-DCC216FC299C@microsoft.com... > Using the XY (scatter) graph normally gives a scatter graph with the > y-axis > on the l...

Problems with Conditional Formatting
Hello All, This may have been covered by previous topics, but I could not see it. I want to apply 3 different conditional formats to a column where the cells have a formula applied as follows: =IF(Q11>=5,"1",IF(Q11>=4,"2", IF(Q11>=3,"3",IF(Q11>=2,"4",IF(Q11<2,"5"))))), Q being a column where a SUM is calculated. The conditions I want are RED for value >=5, ("1"); ORANGE for value >=4, ("2"); and YELLOW for value >=3, ("3"). When I apply the conditional formatting it only appears to work...

Converting YYYYMMDD Special Format to Text
What formula or function converts a cell with a special date format of YYYYMMDD, lets say 20030801, to the text string "20030801"? In my case the special format option YYYYMMDD makes the number appear as 20030801 but will only display the actual date value of 37834 when attempting to convert the date to a text string. One way: =TEXT(A1, "yyyymmdd") where A1 contains your value. In article <108901c38960$b4c9b6d0$a301280a@phx.gbl>, "Mike" <mbredal@tetontel.com> wrote: > What formula or function converts a cell with a special > ...

How do I change the color of ONE line on the y-axis in a chart?
I'm working with a column graph. I want the line that represents 90% to serve as a benchmark and be a different color than the other lines in the y-axis. Meaning all other lines are black, theline at 90% is red. How do I change the color of just this line without adding a drawing object? Hi, These sites have instructions for adding datum lines, http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AddLineHorzErrBar.html http://www.andypope.info/charts/averageline.htm Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "Merna" <Merna@discussions.microsoft.com>...

conditional format (different colors needed)
Hi I have a golf spreadsheet. I want the par scores displayed in blue and the birdie scores displayed in red. eg on a par 4 hole any 3's would be in red, any 4's would be in blue thanks supermari -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Assume the set-up below is in cols A to C, data from row2 down Hole Par Score 1___3 2___4 3___4 etc (till Hole 18 ?) Col C (Score) is where you'd apply the conditional formatting (CF) Select C2:C19 Click Format > Conditional Formatting In the settings tab, make the settings as: For Condition 1 (For Score = Birdie*): Formula Is |...

Built in excel 2007 formats via VBA
Does anyone know how to format a line using excel 2007 built in presets via vba, as the macro won't capture them? Thanks and regards, Mark To figure this out for yourself, see Case Study – Embedded and Linked Objects http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/vba/vba-embedded%20or%20linked%20objects.htm -- Tushar Mehta http://www.tushar-mehta.com Custom business solutions leveraging a multi-disciplinary approach In Excel 2007 double-click to format may not work; right click and select from the menu "mark Stephens" wrote: > Does anyone know how to format a line using excel 20...

Can I Sum by Cell Colour or Format?
I have a large list of values, these values have been colour coded. I would like to sum each of the colours seperately. I know i can add a filter, sort by colour & sum this for each coulour, but am wondering if there is a formula that would do this for me? Ashley, have a look here http://www.ozgrid.com/VBA/sum-count-cells-by-color.htm -- Mike When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, adopt the hypothesis that introduces the fewest assumptions while still sufficiently answering the question. "Ashley" wrote: > I have a large list of values,...

How To Get Excel To Stop Auto-Formatting my Column Data Types
Hi: I'm using Excel 2003. Anyone know how to get it to stop automatically choosing a data type for my columns? Some of its automatic features are nice but its auto data type sometimes gets in the way. Example, I run a program which exports data to Excel. The data contains fractions such as 5/6 and 6/6. When I open the newly-created Excel file, Excel converts those fractions to dates such as May 6 and June 6. If I could get to the worksheet ahead of time, I would format the column as text. But it's too late by the time I look at the worksheet and converting to text after Excel co...

Help needed with Techjet, Canon, HP, Heidi Wide-Format-Printer, Plotter
Please help me with the following problems. I recently received a TechJet 5336 PS w/ postscript option. I am making the Techjet available to our local Resident/Community Association to print posters 11x17 - 36x48 which are placed at various locations in the community, in relation to various events. I've been experimenting with various drivers and found that the Canon W3050 - W9000, HP GL/2, HP 750C/PS all work with to some degree with the Techjet 5336 under win2000 and/or Linux and/or OSX. However, I noticed that it takes a very long time to print. This appears to be related to the p...

equation editor as axis label
Hello all, I would like to use the equation editor to create axis labels, rotated vertically for the y-axis. I can do it in several steps, using a draw program to rotate, then importing the picture, but the label is then made fuzzy by the conversion. Ultimately, the chart will become an .eps figure, and I need it to come out nice and sharp... Any ideas? Ed Ed - Here's a procedure that may reduce the fuzziness in the picture. In Excel, select Object from the Insert menu to insert a Microsoft Equation 3.0 object in the worksheet. Edit this equation. Copy it, then from the Edit ...

Strange Month and Format results
I have a report where I need to change a label caption depending on conditions. I have done this in the past. However, I am getting strange results and don't know why. Strange results from immediate window below. ? Month(Forms!frmCertifedVendorForm.ReportEndDate) 12 ? Format(Month(Forms!frmCertifedVendorForm.ReportEndDate), "mmm") Jan How can the 12th month format as Jan? Am I stupid? tkosel, I imagine all the months will say *Jan* because you can't use the Month Function like that. It will always return a numeric variable. Try... Format(Forms!fr...

Formatting of Excel OLEs in Word is messed up after updating links
I have a Word document with multiple Excel objects pasted and linked to their source files. Every time I try to update any of them, they revert to their original size they had when I first pasted them in, instead of the formatting I applied afterward. I've tried to fix this by editing the links, but the "Preserve formatting after update" box is greyed out on all of them. Is there another way to force these objects NOT to revert to original size every time I update? The way it is now sort of defeats the whole purpose of linking them in the first place. ...

Turn off � auto-format
Please help- a new 'feature' in excel 2002 creates a � (copyrigh symbol) if I type (c) or (C) in a cell. This is extremely frustrating as almost 1/3 of the data calls I am creating contain either of thos two. This is a huge spreadsheet, and the find/replace routine i really ticking me off. if you even copy/paste the (c) it will change t a �. How can I turn off the auto-complete? There isn't even an "und auto-format" option! Any help would be appreciated- thanks -- oldbenwa ----------------------------------------------------------------------- oldbenway's Profile: ...

Linked Graph Formatting
ng to openiHi I run Excel 2000 I have a workbook with a number of charts in it. These charts have data on 2 axis. The left axis has a bar chart with a calendar year label for each bar. The right axis is a line chart with a Calendar Month label under each data point. I copied these to a 2nd workbook so that when I update the charts in workbook 1, they automatically update in workbook 2. This works fine as long as I have both workbooks open at the same time. However, if only the 2nd workbook is open the Calendar Month labels under the line chart on axis 2 are no longer formatted to a d...

currency format
Is there a way to format cells so that when a number is entered as "125" Excel automatically formats it to 1.25 or $1.25? I have tried the special formats, number and currency formats with no luck. I am sure it can be done and is something that is staring me in the face. Thanks, Lee Hi one way: - goto 'tools - Options - View' and check 'Fixed decimals' Note: this will change all your values and affect the entire workbook. -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Lee nameloc wrote: > Is there a way to format cells so that when a number is > entered as "...

How to count cells with conditional formatting
Hi! I=B4ve used conditional formatting to color the cell from each column that has de top value. I=B4m using Excel 2007 and I=B4ve created a rule from the category Format only top or bottom ranked values. I=B4ve set it to Top and instead of 10, I=B4ve put 1. This works fine. What I need to do is to count by row how many cells are formatted with this rule. I =B4ve tried to use count.if but I don=B4t know how to tell the function to count only the cells that have conditional formatting because I can=B4t use the same rule that I=B4ve used in conditional formatting. Example A ...

how i can change default file format Outlook uses to save message
I my saving message in my inbox using "File->Save As" menu. "Save As.." dialog by default shows "Save As Type:" as "HTML". How I can change default file format Outlook uses to save messages to as "Outlook Message Format - Unicode" ?????? Rajkumar <Rajkumar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I my saving message in my inbox using "File->Save As" menu. > "Save As.." dialog by default shows "Save As Type:" as "HTML". > How I can change default file format Outlook uses to save messages...

Excel Number Formatting
I have a spreadsheet with a single column that contains numbers/text as follows: 1,2,2a,2b,3,4,5,5a,5b,5c,6 etc. When I go to sort the spreadsheet, the whole numbers are at the top (1,2,3,4,5 etc) and the numbers with letters are (in order) at the bottom). Obviously this ruins my spreadsheet because rows are now out of order. I know that this column needs to be formatted as "Custom" in the number formatting area so that Excel recognizes that there is a number with text, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to do it. The formats already listed don't work, ...

Rotate / Change axis of chart?
Help is needed! I have a simple chart colum A are Dates and C is tempature; Using 2003's wiszard it created a chart with temps on the Left and Dates on/at the bottom. I had just learned that there is a limited number of colums in 2003 so I started to revise spreadsheet. I would like to know how to change or rotate the chart so that the dates will follow the rows (on the Left) and Tempatures will run on Top? Is there a way in 2003 to make this change? If I am understanding you correctly you want to change the x-axis to a they y-axis. If this is what you want to do, right click on yo...

If function using cell format as the condition
I would like to create an "If" logical function formula, where the "true" condition is based on the format of the cell. For instance, if cell b3 is formatting with a fill color, then add that number; if not, then add zero. Can anyone help? That will need VBA, unless the fill colour is derived from conditional formatting (in which case you could impose an equivalent condition). -- David Biddulph "Janie" <Janie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:25499DED-25B8-4E7D-8CA2-A22788839E56@microsoft.com... >I would like to create...

change axis info on radar charts
How do I get all axis on a radar chart to to display the axis numbers (for each axis individaully). Secondly, how does one get a radar chard with the various axis in different scales (ie Axis 1 scale 1 to 10, Axis2 scale 0 to 10 000, Axis3 scale 0 to 0.5) Alfred - Look for Radar Charts on Tushar Mehta's web site, http://tushar-mehta.com - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ alfred wrote: > How do I get all axis on a radar chart to to display the axis numbers (for > each axis i...

Y-Axis Labels on Both sides...
Hey guys, How can I get the Y-axis values to show up on both sides of my line-graph? Hi, I have an explanation here, http://www.andypope.info/tips/tip005.htm Cheers Andy jgray wrote: > Hey guys, > > How can I get the Y-axis values to show up on both sides of my line-graph? -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info ...